63 replies to this topic
TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Do you recite them?

I'm not sure if schools in other nations are like this, but here in the US you are expected (not necessarily required) to pledge your allegiance to the country at the beginning of every school day. When I was in school I recited it but never meant it, I found it lost meaning over time and the whole ritual felt robotic and fake.

As for the national anthem here it's the same story; expectation not a requirement. You are also asked to remove your cap and place your hand over your heart as the song plays. I've always participated in this because I am thankful for the sacrifices made by the people who founded and defend this country. I'm not sure why the hand over your heart is such a big deal though, I once got scolded for not doing that part.

Ermac
  • Ermac

Draco and Josh

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • Hottest Nigga [All Time]
    GTAF Time Trials Hipster of the Year 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

When I was younger I didn't because I had the stupid mentality of "I'm not American, so why should I pledge allegiance?". I'd like to attribute it to my slightly rebellious nature as a child, but I know that would just be a cop out. Now I do it whenever the occasion arises in order to avoid being labeled a terrorist.

I also didn't put my hand over my heart in school, and surprisingly, I never got called out for it.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

I couldn't imagine myself singing my country anthem...

...cause it actually doesn't have any lyrics.

And mainly because I'm not patriotic and that seems just pure indoctrination.
  • a20characterusername likes this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

When I was in grade school I did, but for some reason schools stopped doing the pledge of allegiance, I can't sing so I don't try and sing the national anthem. If I'm at a event and the anthem is performed I will get out of my seat take off my cap and put my hand on my heart.

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

This is a national anthem I can sing. It screams, "don't f*ck with us."

• Davo the Assassin and TheFoxRiverFugitive like this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:31 PM Edited by Tacymist, 04 February 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Up until some time in middle school we used to recite the pledge. Then they kinda phased it out and just went straight to morning announcements. It was gone completely by high school, I never cared for it anyway so it didn't bother me.

But I love the national anthem. That's my jam.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Every morning we have to get up and say the pledge. Not everybody in my class, including myself, actually recite it. Just standing up and facing the flag usually suffices.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

I'm not big on Zeitgeist anymore, but I did like this little segment they did on the pledge (minus the "everyone on it" part) because it's exactly how I feel about it.

• 018361 likes this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

You pledged alliegance but didn't mean it? OP is clearly a terrorist.
  • Finn 7 five 11, TheFoxRiverFugitive and GunWrath like this

SilentSeas
  • SilentSeas

Formerly 02fishera

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

As silly as it may sound, I've always admired the sense of national pride that American schools try to instil in their students by having them pledge allegiance and whatnot.

There's none of that over here in the UK. At least not in any of the schools that I attended. The only time we were ever expected to show any sense of pride in our nation during my years in education was during the Queen's Golden Jubilee. Even then we sung Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem rather than God Save The Queen. Not that I minded, I've always considered myself to be English rather than British.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

I like to sing along with the national anthem when they're singing it live, like at a sports event.

but I don't remember the last time I recited the pledge of allegiance.

when I was still in school they would recite the pledge of allegiance every morning before first bell.

but it was optional. you weren't forced to stand and recite. so I usually didn't.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

I didn't do the morning pledge at school. I used to ask to sit on the floor during - some teachers let me, some made me stay seated at my desk, and one made me wait it out in the hall.

As far as anthem at sporting events; I stand out of respect. Then again my sporting events are Philadelphia sports and we act as a collective.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

I didn't do the morning pledge at school. I used to ask to sit on the floor during - some teachers let me, some made me stay seated at my desk, and one made me wait it out in the hall.

You God Damn communist.

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

I usually just sat in my seat while they recited it. My other friends sat it out as well, and I just wanted to seem cool.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

We pretty much only trot the British national anthem out at sporting events. The last time I sung it I was crammed in a pub full of fat sweaty drunk men when England played Italy in Euro 2012.  

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

We only do it on Monday at my school here in the States.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

I like to stand for the pledge, but I put my hand on my stomach because I don't like pointing my elbow out. Besides, if I had to swear on a body part you'd think it'd be a lot more painful to live without a stomach than without a heart.

There's one guy in our class who doesn't stand for it. A few kids gave him a lot of sh*t for it on veterans' day last year, but I guess he has his rights and reasons for it, so whatever.

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

As far as anthem at sporting events; I stand out of respect. Then again my sporting events are Philadelphia sports and we act as a collective.

You bastards threw snowballs at Santa.  :angry:

• trip likes this

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

I am in High School and we say it every day after our announcements it used to only be every Monday and Friday then I believe they made it a law here in Michigan but I'm not sure on that but I have also heard of schools that sing the anthem every day also
But anyways I feel it is a thing that is needed to show the kids of today who sag there pants and listen to sh*tty rap music some respect for there country and what had to happen for them to be here today

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

At my school, the pledge of allegiance is played on the morning announcements, and we are expected to rise out of our seats, face the flag in the classroom, and sing it. It is not a requirement to actually sing, though. I never do it. The only requirement is actually standing and putting your hand over your heart while facing the flag.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Turkmenistan
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

That is also expected of us I think you should be required to say it

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

Used to sing anthem every morning in primary school, disappeared in high school, perhaps because it was an utter waste of time better spent learning.

Patriotism is stupid in my opinion, maybe if there was none of it different cultures could get along a little better.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Back in school, I stopped doing the whole pledge thing. I think in a land called the free, in which I live in, one should not be forced to pledge allegiance to the country. It's just hypocritical in my opinion. Now the National Anthem I understand standing and giving your respect on special occasions. Secretly though, I loath standing up and being forced to look prideful. I like America, and then I hate it. I'd rather live here then anywhere else but there are issues that grind my gears and most I have no control over. I myself am in a mostly hate filled relationship with Capitalism but I'd rather live in that economic system then other types. I agree and disagree on both Republicans and Democrats but I lean more to the left side. I love the symbolic nature of freedom but I think America has lost touch as to what that means. And to be honest, I think human freedom can lead to bad sh*t.

Long story short, I hate the pledge and won't do it but will stand for the Anthem but not really give any heart to it.

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

Very rarely did we sing the national anthem when I was in primary, only on occasions like ANZAC day or something. Now that I mention it, I don't remember singing it at all in high school actually. No pledge or oath, or anything like that.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I couldn't imagine myself singing my country anthem...

...cause it actually doesn't have any lyrics.

And mainly because I'm not patriotic and that seems just pure indoctrination.

It used to have lyrics, I personally think they should put the old lyrics back changing the fascist connotations.

For example:

"Arriba España alzar los brazos hijos del pueblo Español..."  for: "Viva España alzar las voces hijos del pueblo español" or something like that.

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:03 PM Edited by Nipperkins, 06 February 2014 - 02:15 PM.

Do you guys agree with me that the US National Anthem should be changed to Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus?

• theadmiral likes this

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:10 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 06 February 2014 - 02:11 PM.

No, I don't. A piece of cloth doesn't represent my ideals.

Fun fact: The American Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy as a marketing gimmick to help sell magazines; it has nothing to do with 'patriotism' or any of that other jingoist nonsense.

The anthem sounds kind of nice, though.

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I might not live in the US, but damn, is that pledge stuff meaningless. I don`t understand patriosm. It`s not like YOU or anyone else actually did something. All you did was being born in that country. Also, that "Under God" part is contradicts the US constitution. Hate to get it political here, but the cons in the US whom want the "Under God" to stay in the pledge also mean that every US citizen should be allowed to own a gun without no checking, because the constitution says so. But they don`t care about the "God" line not fitting the consitution. Go figure.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM.

I might not live in the US, but damn, is that pledge stuff meaningless. I don`t understand patriosm. It`s not like YOU or anyone else actually did something. All you did was being born in that country. Also, that "Under God" part is contradicts the US constitution. Hate to get it political here, but the cons in the US whom want the "Under God" to stay in the pledge also mean that every US citizen should be allowed to own a gun without no checking, because the constitution says so. But they don`t care about the "God" line not fitting the consitution. Go figure.

That's the weird thing-- most social conservatives don't like having "under God" in the pledge or on our money, because it's considered sacrilegious.
The ones who're all obsessed with Christianity usually don't give a damn about the Constitution...though very few Americans do. They act as if some piece of paper is going to magically enforce itself while they sit back and enjoy the ride...hasn't turned out too well.

I should add that the "Under God" part is omitted in a lot of places.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM Edited by Killerdude8, 06 February 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Sure, I'll stand when the National Anthem plays, But I never did that whole Pledge of Allegiance nonsense, not even growing up. 

• a20characterusername likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users