Photo

**Attitudes Towards Violence In Videogames Survey**

8 replies to this topic
ledgisterc
  • ledgisterc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

It is for my final year uni dissertation, and takes about ten mins so please help me out!

I am aiming to see if particular personality traits are associated with moral disengagement and attitudes towards committing violence in violent/shooter video games, such as GTA. Moral disengagement is a mechanism which allows people who feel uncomfortable with their actions in a particular situation to justify their behaviour and relieve feelings of guilt/negative affect. The traits I will be investigating will be locus of control, empathy, affect and immersive tendencies (i.e how easily someone becomes highly transported into a game/film).

I also want to investigate whether moral disengagement is associated with a positive attitude towards committing violence in a video game context- research has suggested that people who have a tendency to disengage from their morals easily are more likely to view violence as acceptable, because they feel less guilt due to their disengagement.

Here's the link- https://www.survey.b...ogy/videogames/

Thanks for your response!

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Wow, what a an original idea.

all your answers in one video....I think

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

That was somewhat interesting and fun.  :^: 

ledgisterc
  • ledgisterc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Wow, what a an original idea.

all your answers in one video....I think

Actually if you look at the literature you will find that there are very few studies that look at moral disengagement within videogames, espeically combined with personailty traits -_-. But thankyou for your extremely informative response.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

I'm not 18 and it says I have to be so for the sake of not messing up your results I won't do it.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:44 PM Edited by Nale Dixon, 08 February 2014 - 11:52 PM.

It's ironic that Penn and Teller named their programme 'bullsh*t' given how Penn Gillette constantly spews it. I haven't watched the video, but given their track record I'm going to guess it's full of 'libertarian' horsesh*t.

In any case I'll fill out your thing. I can't guarantee I will answer honestly if answering questions in a messed up way will amuse me though.

Of course video games, being an art form, have some affect on you. If it didn't it wouldn't be art. However I don't think it's the responsibility of artists to censor ANYTHING for the sake of what someone might do. I also believe that the effects of video games to cause a person to go out and snuff out a life is mitigating. Likely that person was unhinged and it was a matter of time anyway. It could have been triggered just a much by seeing a red coloured jelly bear and cracking.

I have to say, some of these questions are silly. Only a complete psychopath would answer yes to them. Which sort of proves my point I guess.

• GankThis110 likes this

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

It's ironic that Penn and Teller named their programme 'bullsh*t' given how Penn Gillette constantly spews it. I haven't watched the video, but given their track record I'm going to guess it's full of 'libertarian' horsesh*t.

In any case I'll fill out your thing. I can't guarantee I will answer honestly if answering questions in a messed up way will amuse me though.

Of course video games, being an art form, have some affect on you. If it didn't it wouldn't be art. However I don't think it's the responsibility of artists to censor ANYTHING for the sake of what someone might do. I also believe that the effects of video games to cause a person to go out and snuff out a life is mitigating. Likely that person was unhinged and it was a matter of time anyway. It could have been triggered just a much by seeing a red coloured jelly bear and cracking.

I have to say, some of these questions are silly. Only a complete psychopath would answer yes to them. Which sort of proves my point I guess.

Well said.

xVampire Fangx
  • xVampire Fangx

GTAF Lieutenant

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Done the survey.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well, I got to question 30, then I got bored and killed someone...coulda warned me that it was long

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users