Quantcast

» «
Photo

Any one else feel Alderney and TLAD was pointless?

20 replies to this topic
WATER DRAGON
  • WATER DRAGON

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Before you say anything let me finish. I feel like maybe GTA4 would of been better if they made more land based off New York instead of making land for New Jersey. Now I'm going to explain why TLAD felt pointless to me. I don't hate it by all means, I thought it was fun and something different and had it's own style that many games don't really go in to. But the whole biker thing doesn't really fit in with the whole New York City style. I felt it was out of place. The Biker thing will work with California but not New York. They would of been better off making a DLC having you play as a gang member in MOB or The North Holland Hustler. Really I felt TBOGT captured the New York style better then other games. with the night life and all that. Let me know what you think.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:06 AM Edited by Tycek, 04 February 2014 - 09:06 AM.

If anything felt out of place it was BoGT with all its glitter and shine all over the place. Niko's story was dark, TLaD was dark, but apparently BoGT became over the top game with golden helicopters and stuff not fitting NYC at all. This isn't Dubai.

I believe TLaD was great and fit dark depiction of LC in IV. We got to see the bottom of the ladder in terms of money and morals. With Niko we were in the middle, middle class gangsters and middle class houses, with Johnny we stepped down to the gutter of LC. 

If anything BoGT should be toned down to fit the rest, but apparently fans of over the top gameplay were bitching too much, so R* had to please them (God knows what for), making this add-on.

• A J, lolleroz, albanyave and 5 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

As much as I love TLAD I must admit it would've made more sense in an LA/Californian setting. Bikers in Jersey/NYC isn't something I'm too familiar with at all really.

Not saying they don't exist, but speaking from a foreigner's perspective American bikers to me seem much more prominent out California way.

SentinelXSVCS22
  • SentinelXSVCS22

Liberty City Resident

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I don't think that Alderney nor TLAD was pointless in my opinion. As I really like that grittiness of the city. And really fond of just driving around and taking the scenery in whenever I play IV

• Jeansowaty likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

The Cheesiest of Vaginas

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

Bikers are everywhere! Just your classic Dennis Hopper movies places them in the middle of deserts.

And I liked Alderny. It served as one of the many suburban areas adjacent to real-life cities, as well as the industrial park.

And The Lost weren't meant to be a huge deal, and they conveyed that well in their story. Their violence was just against other gangs, and their equipment was limited to rag-tag street weapons. They weren't shooting up two different government agencies and a private military after having stolen several hundred million dollars worth of military equipment out of mid air without any type of law enforcement on their backs *cough cough* or airlifting f*cking metro cars for Arab billionaires *COUGH COUGH HACK WHEEZE*

I'd love the textbook Easy Rider biker setting to reemerge in GTA V era Blaine County, but unless it has to do with Chrome Adders, pig masks, or Trevor, it won't make Rockstar any money so they won't do it.

• lolleroz, albanyave and nobum62 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

Being a Jersey boy myself I just wish they did more with Alderney. 

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

If anything felt out of place it was BoGT with all its glitter and shine all over the place. Niko's story was dark, TLaD was dark, but apparently BoGT became over the top game with golden helicopters and stuff not fitting NYC at all. This isn't Dubai.

Now that would be intresting, a GTA map in Dubai. We could call it Gran Theft Arab.It could be all about the oil wars. I'd buy that. 

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Just a side point, Alderney is the most tactically important Island in Cops 'n Crooks, because it is the only place where Maverick Helicopters spawn in the mode.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

I always felt that Alderney was a bit of a bore compared to the rest of the map. It worked well with TLaD, however with GTA IV and TBoGT it didn't feel as it was necessary in my opinion.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Now that would be intresting, a GTA map in Dubai. We could call it Gran Theft Arab.It could be all about the oil wars. I'd buy that. 

And you are a member of the Al-Quaeda and you fight the Capitalists and the Russian Mafia is your ally. Hell I would buy that too!

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

I liked TLAD (plus my first 100% game ever so soft spot) and Alderney. Both suited the overall story just fine.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

It's obvious they did not do a lot of research on Jersey. I hope one day the shore and Atlantic City gets the GTA treatment.

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Alderney is my favorite borough in IV. I'd love to see Long Island or Upstate, but I feel putting Alderney in was a better choice. Alderney, if you actually spend more time there, feels a lot different compared to Liberty City. It has serene suburbs, lively downtown, docks, industrial wasteland, a district full of mansions, projects, prison...there is a lot of variety. New Jersey is also much better known and iconic than Upstate, so it was also probably a safer bet. Even overseas, enough people are at least sort of aware of Hollywood's version of Jersey.

When it was first announced, TLaD was a surprise to me too. When you say "biker gang", an urban jungle isn't the first thing to come to you mind. But in the end, it fit IV and its setting beautifully.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

As much as I love TLAD I must admit it would've made more sense in an LA/Californian setting. Bikers in Jersey/NYC isn't something I'm too familiar with at all really.

Not saying they don't exist, but speaking from a foreigner's perspective American bikers to me seem much more prominent out California way.

You are correct in a sense. Most of the biker clubs started in California and have expanded. Biker clubs in New York - You have the Hells Angels, Chosen Few and Outlaws. The Hells Angels MC honestly dominate New York. I believe they were one of the first biggest clubs that were stationed in New York. The Hells Angels first started a chapter in Buffalo and Rochester during the late 1960s. The Chosen Few started roughly 2-3 years before the Hells Angels came along and started their chapter in New York. The Chosen Few pretty much dominated New York during the 1970s and worked close with the Outlaws. The Outlaws began a chapter in Buffalo in the early 1980s and have been growing strong ever since. 

In Alderney (New Jersey), the Pagans MC run things. They are ruthless and hugely powerful. New York and New Jersey have that gritty biker scene to it and it works perfectly. But I slightly agree with you. There are more open roads in California and it's far better. New York is where the politicians and businessmen are. It sucks.

SuburbansWorst
  • SuburbansWorst

Lance Vance Dance Crew Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

they should have just made Dukes and Broker slightly bigger and It would have been perfect imo. Alderney was needed because from my experience visiting my cousins in New York, people in the area seem to feel like their above Jersey and think of it as a sh*ttier little industrial hell. Alderney was insulted a lot in the game so i guess it was alright lol

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

I believe TLaD was great and fit dark depiction of LC in IV. We got to see the bottom of the ladder in terms of money and morals. With Niko we were in the middle, middle class gangsters and middle class houses, with Johnny we stepped down to the gutter of LC. 

If anything BoGT should be toned down to fit the rest, but apparently fans of over the top gameplay were bitching too much, so R* had to please them (God knows what for), making this add-on.

I'm positive TBoGT wasn't going to be what we originally got.

The dialogue in IV suggests Yusuf was a serious business man. He wasn't a "Rich Roman" like he was in TBoGT.

IV was written with TLAD in mind, TBoGT wasn't. You probably know of "The Possible Trinity" topic. There was something like that before TBoGT, it was just IV and TLAD. The mission order was perfect, no plot holes or anything. Then comes TBoGT, and trying to fit some of the missions messes up the chronological order, and no matter how it is arranged it creates some plot holes and it just doesn't fit.

The first point isn't that big, but the second one really shows what was going on. I'm sure there were a lot of changes. It still could have had fun missions and gameplay without being some weird goofy mess.

To OP, I thought it fit. NJ is very close to NY in real life, and tons of people from NJ are always going back and forth between the two places. With Rockstar trying to make a closer reimagining to the cities, I think having NJ there felt right.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

they should have just made Dukes and Broker slightly bigger and It would have been perfect imo. Alderney was needed because from my experience visiting my cousins in New York, people in the area seem to feel like their above Jersey and think of it as a sh*ttier little industrial hell. Alderney was insulted a lot in the game so i guess it was alright lol

That's not the point. Rockstar should of added more interior and accessible buildings. Liberty City is a massive place but yet Rockstar kind of left it empty. I still like Alderney though. It's a peaceful and quiet place, despite the amount of waste and horrible viewings.  :lol: 

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

Mr. Money In The Bank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

It certainly wasn't pointless, but it could have been made better.
  • Black & White likes this

LoreLegend
  • LoreLegend

Kill or be killed

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:30 AM Edited by LoreLegend, 25 February 2014 - 09:34 AM.

TBOGT felt very out of place.

For example Brucie being kind of a pussy but when Niko did missions for him he was this strong very self confident guy.

Now here's the thing: The mission started with the Liberty bank heist but Niko already did missions for Brucie before.

Alot of things in TBOGT just don't fit.

IMO TBOGT was just made to please the 'over the top players' of the GTA fanbase.

Well hey as long as Rockstar makes money they'll do it.

GTA V is kind of a mess but Rockstar has made over a billion so they just say f*ck you straight to the players that don't like the game and to the players that like the game they just say ''We know you love GTA Online and that you get low payouts so give us IRL money and you get ingame money!'' thus making sh*tloads of money again as if over 1 billion isn't enough.

Sad to see Rockstar going this path.

• Jeansowaty likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

For example Brucie being kind of a pussy but when Niko did missions for him he was this strong very self confident guy.

But deep down he was a bisexual confused individual. The scenes with Mori fit in perfect.

• SonofYankton likes this

SonofYankton
  • SonofYankton

Hugging Niko Belic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

I Don't Know why, But I Have Seem To LOVE Alderny Don't know why though it could be because, other the san Andreas it's the only other "whole" State 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users