The infamous Coca Cola ad

38 replies to this topic
I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

In light of the Super Bowl, Coca Cola made a commercial which portrayed America's diverse populace, with people from different races and languages singing the song "America the Beautiful". Seems fine, right? Apparently to some, it's Unamerican. Some groups have came out against the advertisement, saying that it doesn't portray America correctly because they all aren't speaking english.

Here's a link to a more in depth article with the commercial for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.eonline.c...rage-on-twitter

So, what is your opinion on the commercial? Do you think it's completely fine, or is it unamerican because they aren't speaking english? In my opinion, all of this outrage is 100% pointless. America's a nation about equality and diversity (inb4angryanarchists) and it represents the nation's populace well.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by Dutch Psycho, 04 February 2014 - 10:31 PM.

Link is broken

Edit: it's working:)

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:46 PM Edited by ShadowDog94, 03 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

I think we have way more important things to worry about rather than whether 'Murica is being portrayed properly.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

What becomes of the broken hearted?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

People love to bitch and will take any opportunity, no matter how minor, to bitch.

• 018361 likes this

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by Nipperkins, 03 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

I love it when white people think they are the only true Americans. 

• Moonshield, Failure, 018361 and 3 others like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

f*ck the Coca Cola Co. I'm boycotting their products after they decided to close their production plants in Spain even if they are having earnings.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:59 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 03 February 2014 - 08:59 PM.

These "outrages" are, unfortunately, quite common. There are a few other adverts that were attacked, including a cereal ad that included an interracial couple. 

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

To be fair that link is for E! News. I'm not sure how much faith I have in their reporting abilities.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

f*ck the Coca Cola Co. I'm boycotting their products after they decided to close their production plants in Spain even if they are having earnings.

Isn't Mexican coke more stronger than American Coke? I'm not sure which kind they sell in Spain.

OT: I couldn't give a damn about Superbowl Ads. Are they fancier than regular commercials? Sure. Do I like with the product they market? Not always. Hell, I didn't even watch the Superbowl last night. I'd rather be on the internet looking at trains than watch a bunch of people run around with balls.

• Detective Phelps likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:27 PM Edited by Vlynor, 03 February 2014 - 09:29 PM.

Those people can f*ck off. That's a great commercial. Speak whatever language you want. America =/= English.

Also, that's probably the second best, this one being my favorite, as sappy as it seems:

Isn't Mexican coke more stronger than American Coke? I'm not sure which kind they sell in Spain.

Mexican Coke uses real sugar while American Coke uses HFCS. Mexican Coke has a flatter, and in my opinion, slightly better taste.

• Moonshield, 018361 and universetwisters like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Mexican Coke uses real sugar while American Coke uses HFCS. Mexican Coke has a flatter, and in my opinion, slightly better taste.

You wouldn't happen to know where in Central Florida you can get a hold of Mexican Coke, would you? You'd expect the answer to be "anywhere", seeing as there's a lot of Mexican culture and influences where I live.

Plank.
  • Plank.

master trole 2015

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

I blame the baby-boomers. Wanting someone to censor a commercial is more unamerican than the commercial itself.

• Failure, 018361 and Frank Brown like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

You wouldn't happen to know where in Central Florida you can get a hold of Mexican Coke, would you? You'd expect the answer to be "anywhere", seeing as there's a lot of Mexican culture and influences where I live.

Try some mom n' pop shops. Those usually have it. Or the local chains. We have those at the Best Yet Market, but that's a North Eastern chain.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Those people can f*ck off. That's a great commercial. Speak whatever language you want. America =/= English.

Also, that's probably the second best, this one being my favorite, as sappy as it seems:

I believe that the rest of the word uses real sugar. At least everyone who is not American who has been to America usually complains about the taste of soft drinks due to the god awful abomination that is Corn Syrup.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

It's completely fine. I would say more more but I have already done a verbal rant IRL. I wish you guy could hear it...then again, maybe you can.  ;)

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

I believe that the rest of the word uses real sugar. At least everyone who is not American who has been to America usually complains about the taste of soft drinks due to the god awful abomination that is Corn Syrup.

I'm not sure. I've only ever had American and Mexican Coke.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Don't like? Don't watch. Don't have a public temper-tantrum about it on twitter. If it bothers you so much then shut the f*ck up and take it up directly with the Coca Cola company.

• 018361 likes this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure. I've only ever had American and Mexican Coke.

I believe Canadian Coke is hfcs too but they use the "New Coke" formula.
  • Frank Brown likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I think it was great.

Not as great as the Christmas Hill Top song of the 1970s.

What with all the government publications and even the naturalization test being given in non-English forms it would be hard to say it's not American.

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

shriek

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

​Who does this remind me of? Oh, yeah….

400px-GTA5civilborder.jpg

• universetwisters, WhatsStrength and HUGOHL like this

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

Ahhh good ole america where celebrating our diversity is unamerican.

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Sonnensänger

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:33 PM Edited by Preusse, 03 February 2014 - 11:35 PM.

In what languages did they sing it?

Your country is a total melting pot and the vast majority of your people's ancestors didn't even have English as their first language when they migrated to the US.

But today most languages of your ancestors are forgotten, almost all of you adopted the language of the island apes and if I were an American nationalist, I probably would agree: sing the whole song in (American) English. As non-American I say: I don't care.
  • Eris likes this

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:34 PM Edited by CallTheCoroner, 03 February 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Half of the new generations speak in a different language anyway... What's with the surprise? OMFG,ROFL, LOL  :)

lol-o-hai-i-upgraded-ur-language.jpg

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

But today most languages of your ancestors are forgotten, almost all of you adopted the language of the island apes and if I were an American nationalist, I probably would agree: sing the whole song in (American) English. As non-American I say: I don't care.

That's a colorful description of the English.  

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Im a big, really intellectual libertarian so I believe Coca Cola has the right to portray the country however they want and i'll passionately post my belief in this on the internet. I'm also a cock gobbler who likes to gobble cock.

• Frank Brown likes this

Hi-FiGuy
  • Hi-FiGuy

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Honestly, I don't give a sh*t about the commercial or any stupid super bowl because I have better things to do than sit around for a couple hours and watch one of the most boring sports ever.  Its probably the most boring thing to me next to watching movies or Nascar.  My favorite sport is probably target shooting, which is kind of a sport because they have competitions for it.  I like guns. My family has some guns and I collect mainly pellet guns but my grandpa might give me his Marlin .22 Magnum rifle so I can do some plinking (shooting cans) and shooting varmints and if I get my hunter safety course done I can hunt squirrel.  Sorry I got off topic, sometimes I just get talking about something and then it starts a whole new thought.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I have better things to do than sit around for a couple hours and watch one of the most boring sports ever.  Its probably the most boring thing to me next to watching movies or Nascar. -----  My favorite sport is probably target shooting, which is kind of a sport because they have competitions for it.  I like guns.

Makes sense... 

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

In what languages did they sing it?

Your country is a total melting pot and the vast majority of your people's ancestors didn't even have English as their first language when they migrated to the US.

I'm an American and I don't care, I'm also a...

big, really intellectual libertarian

So, there's that. And you're right, most of America's original immigrants came from non-English speaking countries (Germany, Italy, etc.) 

• theadmiral likes this

Hi-FiGuy
  • Hi-FiGuy

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

I have better things to do than sit around for a couple hours and watch one of the most boring sports ever.  Its probably the most boring thing to me next to watching movies or Nascar. -----  My favorite sport is probably target shooting, which is kind of a sport because they have competitions for it.  I like guns.

Makes sense... 

Is there some kind of problem?

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

So the news here is that the coke advert has revealed that widespread bigotry and racism is still common place among some Americans?

E! must not spend enough time on the Internet or else they would have already known this.
  • Failure and Frank Brown like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users