Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

So the GTA series has mention of Bullworth Academy and Carcer City, presumably setting Manhunt and Bully in the GTA Universe.

Max Payne has mention of New York and New Jersey, (replaced by Liberty and Alderny, presumably), so that's excluded.

However, is there any evidence in Red Dead that sets it or separates it from GTA? The substitute "Texas" territory is known as "New Austin", continuing with GTA's tradition of different-yet-similar territory renamings. 

Other than that, and the several thousand bastard children of John Marston running around GTA:O, is there any evidence?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

IIRC New York and California are mentioned in RDR with their real life names, so that exclude it from being the same world with GTA.

• universetwisters, Drunken Cowboy and tehSpitefulPotato like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Totally forgot about the Stranger saying he's heading west to California.
Thanks!

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

The way I see it, there's the multiple GTA Universes, all of which the events of Manhunt and Bully (unless the HD era does something to disconnect it's versions) occur in. Then there's the "Real" Rockstar universe, in which all their other games (LA Noire, Midnight Club, Max Payne, etc) occur in. And Red Dead more than likely exists in this real universe.

That said however, California has been mentioned in the HD GTA games before anyway. I also think the thought of RDR happening in the GTA Universe is pretty cool.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I personally think and believe that the RDR and GTA universes are seperate. I prefer it when games have their own universes as if you try and mix games universes it usually ends up in alot of confusion and I have yet to see it done well.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I personally think and believe that the RDR and GTA universes are seperate. I prefer it when games have their own universes as if you try and mix games universes it usually ends up in alot of confusion and I have yet to see it done well.

GTA Universe is a Multi-verse of 3 Universes (Era)-2D,3D and HD Era. But yeah i agree with you,RDR is definitely a separate Universe from GTA.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

GTA Universe is a Multi-verse of 3 Universes (Era)-2D,3D and HD Era. But yeah i agree with you,RDR is definitely a separate Universe from GTA.

I know GTA is. I dont mind if a single game series has multiple universes but when companies try to mix game series universes together it just doesn't work.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

That said however, California has been mentioned in the HD GTA games before anyway.

It has? Have I really missed California in IV or EFLC? I just can't believe they would call it that, since San Andreas was so obvious at  that point. Where have you heard it? (unless you mean songs, which is ok)

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

That said however, California has been mentioned in the HD GTA games before anyway.

It has? Have I really missed California in IV or EFLC? I just can't believe they would call it that, since San Andreas was so obvious at  that point. Where have you heard it? (unless you mean songs, which is ok)

That's the one thing that pisses me off.

Whenever I bring up that argument, everyone says "OH LAWD THEY MENTIONED CALIFORNIA/NEW YORK IN A SONG SO THERES NO WAY THAT EXISTS". f*cking bullsh*t.

Neil Young wrote a song about Sugar Mountain and I have yet to find it on a map.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:36 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 February 2014 - 10:02 PM.

Whenever I bring up that argument, everyone says "OH LAWD THEY MENTIONED CALIFORNIA/NEW YORK IN A SONG SO THERES NO WAY THAT EXISTS". f*cking bullsh*t.

Neil Young wrote a song about Sugar Mountain and I have yet to find it on a map.

Yeah those Aforementioned RL Locations are in mentioned in music but they are still a Myth (Fictional) in the GTA Universe.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yeah those Aforementioned RL Locations are in mentioned in music but they are still a Myth (Fictional) in the GTA Universe.

Exactly my point. There's nothing that confirms that New York City exists alongside Liberty City, and songs aren't reliable sources. After all, are we really to believe that Arlo Guthrie got arrested for littering and got turned down for army service because of it?

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

Well there's the Dragon Brain the movie ad in IV which the actor clearly states he has a "CALIFORNIA" accent. And then there's the rusted truck in Stab City in V which does in fact have a licence plate which reads California.

For god sake, I can't believe you and universetwisters talked down to me as id I was dumb enough to consider songs evidence.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

Well there's the Dragon Brain the movie ad in IV which the actor clearly states he has a "CALIFORNIA" accent. And then there's the rusted truck in Stab City in V which does in fact have a licence plate which reads California.

For god sake, I can't believe you and universetwisters talked down to me as id I was dumb enough to consider songs evidence.

The Dragon Brain advert might've been "dumbed down" for new players who aren't familiar with the GTA Universe. Either that or Lazlow's company wrote the commercials, like I read once in an article. That's what you get when you outsource :/

As far as the California plate in Stab City, do you have a picture or something similar? It may have come from a free-to-use site, or it could've been used in an early version and have been dropped. Remember, they mentioned "New York" in one of GTA 4's newspapers, and if you think they made it intentional, remember that May 23rd 2006 was actually a Tuesday.

LibertyCityPost-GTA4-frontpage.jpg

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

Well, is there anything relating Red Dead to the GTA Universe, rather than debunking it?

I can't think of anything other than the silhouette mural of John Marston in downtown LS, which isn't much to go on.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Well there is the book in Franklin's apartment, "Red Dead" by J Marston.

Either way I doubt that it's in the same universe anyway, but I would like to think it is.

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Even if they were the same universe the settings of RedDead and these other games mentioned are a century apart leaving little chance of overlap.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

GTA IV legend

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

One of the streets in Sandy Shores is called "Armadillo Avenue" or street. Can't remember which.

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

LibertyCityPost-GTA4-frontpage.jpg
Lol, counting this as an evidence of NY existence in GTA universe is just like stating that "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" are really existing English words in GTA.
  • universetwisters likes this

d nice
  • d nice

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

There's a street called Cholla Springs avenue round Sandy Shores.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well there is the book in Franklin's apartment, "Red Dead" by J Marston.

Either way I doubt that it's in the same universe anyway, but I would like to think it is.

I noticed the book before, but not the author.

It's just not as solid a proof as reference to Bullworth or Carcer City.

I wonder if New Austin is ever mentioned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users