Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is there any way to force shift in a car?

30 replies to this topic
BrownMattHall
  • BrownMattHall

You don't have enough badges to train me

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:44 AM

I know IV had some kind of mechanic for it but is there anything similar in V? There have been a bunch of times where ive ended up sliding into a hill and almost stalling out and its crap.

• Blaze1214 likes this

UnicornAssassin
  • UnicornAssassin

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Tap the breaks just enough so the exhaust flames out. That'll shift it down a gear (I think).

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

i get flustered at times

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:50 AM

Tap the breaks just enough so the exhaust flames out. That'll shift it down a gear (I think).

only works if you're up to speed for the exhaust flames to even happene

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

I just hit the breaks to make it backfire. That's about as close as I can get to shifting in this game.

BrownMattHall
  • BrownMattHall

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:53 AM

yeah, just tested this out and it kind of works at decent to high speeds but if your at cornering speed it wont backfire. has anyone else encountered the stalling out situation btw? how do you deal with it?

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

i like to drive my stinger gt at low speed and it would backfire every time!

JayDM420
  • JayDM420

0.14 KD

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

yeah, just tested this out and it kind of works at decent to high speeds but if your at cornering speed it wont backfire. has anyone else encountered the stalling out situation btw? how do you deal with it?

Lol high speeds and cornering speeds are the same in this game >.>

• PaulDPearl, XJpostman, Viper9502 and 1 other like this

ARCTICvnc
  • ARCTICvnc

Veritas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:28 AM Edited by ARCTICvnc, 03 February 2014 - 04:30 AM.

I know IV had some kind of mechanic for it but is there anything similar in V? There have been a bunch of times where ive ended up sliding into a hill and almost stalling out and its crap.

I always tap breaks to shift down in turns or release the accelerator  for a second and it usually shifts down. 

I love watching the flame come out of the exhaust  :colgate:

Hate it when you are stuck in high gears at low rpm, I was hoping R* would have fixed this. My pet peeve.

• BrownMattHall likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Pretty much just lay off the gas..Earlier.

• 8up local likes this

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:07 AM Edited by 8up local, 03 February 2014 - 05:08 AM.

ever tried using the RB instead of LT sometimes for a quick brake check/slide set-up? it acts just like the E-brake but doesn't hold it on. and pretty much like Vooodu said, lay off the gas a bit. i see so many people just staying in it around corners just to end up slamming a tree or wall stopping them dead while i just let off the gas a touch and drive away laughing.

BrownMattHall
  • BrownMattHall

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

ever tried using the RB instead of LT sometimes for a quick brake check/slide set-up? it acts just like the E-brake but doesn't hold it on. and pretty much like Vooodu said, lay off the gas a bit. i see so many people just staying in it around corners just to end up slamming a tree or wall stopping them dead while i just let off the gas a touch and drive away laughing.

is this true? ive always used the A button as my handbrake but try not to simply because it locks the wheels up and essentially stops me but if RB doesnt hold on it that would be beautiful!

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

BrownMattHall, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

is this true? ive always used the A button as my handbrake but try not to simply because it locks the wheels up and essentially stops me but if RB doesnt hold on it that would be beautiful!

it's the exact same thing

only reason for there being 2 controls for it is so you can use your handbrake while shooting or moving the camera

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I've tried this from a dead stop and it still flames out.

customkingpimp
  • customkingpimp

Functioning alcoholic

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

if you tap the brakes, it will downshift it, this is also a very effective way to do donuts, tap the brake as you are spinning, works really well. keeps it at a high RPM and the tires spinning.

Varios Los Aztecas
  • Varios Los Aztecas

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

I misread the thread title..

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

BrownMattHall, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

only reason for there being 2 controls for it is so you can use your handbrake while shooting or moving the camera

well yes and no, yes it locks the rear up and will slow you down if held, but no it doesn't hold the e-brake on keeping the rear lock up like A does. 

dadebluntss
  • dadebluntss

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Backfires are just from extra unburned gas in the exhaust that catches fire. Anytime you go from WOT to not there is a chance for backfire. In GTA i think the exhaust system might affect frequency of backfires but it acts basically the same. Let go of the gas at WOT and it will usually backfire. You can even quickly get back up to WOT and repeat, for a string of backfires. 

SlammedSultanRS
  • SlammedSultanRS

Stoned beyond belief! connecticut FTW

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

i just tap r1 (e-brake) and gun it and it usually redlines while peelin out like a fukin boss with his middle finger in the air.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:35 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 03 February 2014 - 08:35 PM.

8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 7:50 PM, said:8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 7:50 PM, said:

Zwenkwiel, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:Zwenkwiel, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

BrownMattHall, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:BrownMattHall, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:BrownMattHall, on 03 Feb 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:8up local, on 03 Feb 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

well yes and no, yes it locks the rear up and will slow you down if held, but no it doesn't hold the e-brake on keeping the rear lock up like A does. 

I dno man I think that might be some kind of placebo effect cuz I never noticed any difference

than again I don't use the handbrake much for anything serious

mostly use it to spin around in circles in the middle of the street XD

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

It's a pity there isn't an option to choose to have your car as a manual.  I know it'll confuse the Americans seeing as they are all far too busy to change gears and have to get their car to do it for them but it would be a good addition.  That and an actual kick-down if you're rolling in automatic.  Make it a bit more realistic.

SlammedSultanRS
  • SlammedSultanRS

Stoned beyond belief! connecticut FTW

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:41 PM Edited by SlammedSultanRS, 03 February 2014 - 08:42 PM.

It's a pity there isn't an option to choose to have your car as a manual.  I know it'll confuse the Americans seeing as they are all far too busy to change gears and have to get their car to do it for them but it would be a good addition.  That and an actual kick-down if you're rolling in automatic.  Make it a bit more realistic.

Im american and every single car i've owned was manual. lemme ask you this... you ever sit in traffic in manhattan on a saturday with a 6 speed? not fun but since i like manual i can do it just fine. but the reason most americans dont like manual is because of traffic. idk who you think you are to generalize americans like that. this is why we blow up other countries like yours.

SurlyOldManMN
  • SurlyOldManMN

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:11 PM Edited by SurlyOldManMN, 03 February 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Just a super quick throttle blip will do it, if it's possible to do at your given speed. GTAIV was A LOT better about letting you upshift when you wanted using this technique. You have to be pretty close to redline to do it in GTAO. I don't bother with it unless it's doing that silly thing where it bounces off the rev limiter.

The backfire thing doesn't have much to do with it other than you're unlikely to be bouncing off the rev limiter unless you're at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and going from WOT to not-WOT via brakes or just a throttle blip makes it fire. IRL forced induction cars with blow off valves often see a very short rich condition related to how air is (or isn't) metered during throttle lift, such as when shifting. Tapping the brakes doesn't do it, but that's how they've modeled it in GTA.

Drummin
  • Drummin

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hey OP. No

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

May just be a placebo distracting my mind from the time it actually is taking versus reaction time of my finger but it seems like letting off the acceleration just before shift and then getting back on it makes it shift a milimoment faster. Again. I'm not saying it does. It just feels like it to me.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Americans who wish to go fast with one hand on the wheel drive manual. I drive either. Automatic allows me to focus less on what I'm doing and more on people around me driving like asshats. Manual lets me go by them as if they're sitting still, but I have to focus more so I don't miss my gear or hit someone while trying to take the gap. But if you knew anything about Americans, you'd know every guy 16-30 is likely to buy a Honda hatchback, duct tape a coffee can on the tail pipe and call it a street racer. Manuals are becoming more common than ever. Hence why it's called STANDARD not automatic.
  • 8up local and BrownMattHall like this

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Im american and every single car i've owned was manual. lemme ask you this... you ever sit in traffic in manhattan on a saturday with a 6 speed? not fun but since i like manual i can do it just fine. but the reason most americans dont like manual is because of traffic. idk who you think you are to generalize americans like that. this is why we blow up other countries like yours.

You Americans like my country for now.  We're keeping Donald Trump away from America.

Americans who wish to go fast with one hand on the wheel drive manual. I drive either. Automatic allows me to focus less on what I'm doing and more on people around me driving like asshats. Manual lets me go by them as if they're sitting still, but I have to focus more so I don't miss my gear or hit someone while trying to take the gap. But if you knew anything about Americans, you'd know every guy 16-30 is likely to buy a Honda hatchback, duct tape a coffee can on the tail pipe and call it a street racer. Manuals are becoming more common than ever. Hence why it's called STANDARD not automatic.

Manual for me.  First time I sat in an auto was when I was in my mid-20's.  Couldn't get the bloody thing to move and when I finally did I kept going for a clutch pedal that wasn't there and a gear stick that was insivible.  I was just going for a cheap stereotype.

lewyeh
  • lewyeh

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

There should a option to switch your controls to be able to change gears

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:58 PM Edited by 8up local, 03 February 2014 - 10:01 PM.

We're keeping Donald Trump away from America.

and you can have him.  :lol:

BrownMattHall
  • BrownMattHall

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Manual-driving American reporting in. The last time i tried to drive an auto I was coming to a stop sign and my left foot ended up impulsively mashing the brake as I attempted to press on the non-existent clutch pedal. Made me stop short and look like an absolute novice :/ never again haha

OT: Ive been testing out different methods and tactics to see their effects on driving in a race with no real improvement. guess its just something im gonna have to consciously avoid. an ounce of prevention i suppose

• Viper9502 likes this

SurlyOldManMN
  • SurlyOldManMN

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 PM Edited by SurlyOldManMN, 04 February 2014 - 05:14 PM.

Manuals are becoming more common than ever. Hence why it's called STANDARD not automatic.

Not sure if serious...

Manual-driving American reporting in. The last time i tried to drive an auto I was coming to a stop sign and my left foot ended up impulsively mashing the brake as I attempted to press on the non-existent clutch pedal. Made me stop short and look like an absolute novice :/ never again haha

Hehe... I had an ACT HDSS in my scoob. EXTREMELY heavy pedal. I almost put my foot through the firewall of the next car I drove just getting it started.
  • BrownMattHall likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users