Shadow of the Colossus is pretty f*cking annoying

19 replies to this topic
tymaster50
  • tymaster50

The silent voice in ones heart whispers the most profound wisdom

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

Sure its cool and all but i would like to nominate it for worst controls ever. im not sure how team ico expects me to beat a colossus when they have a seizure every 5 seconds, preventing me for effectively hitting their weak spot, drawing out the fight for 20 minutes minimum. That isn't even the worst part, I could do with the temper tantrum stuff if Wander didn't take 4 of those 5 seconds recovering from the last shaking, by the time i get ready to attack i can only do one half charged blow before i have to rest my stamina. Not very fun. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

I could write a huge wall of text now, but it would all boil down to a simple truth that you're wrong. So I'll just leave it at that.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

I could write a huge wall of text now, but it would all boil down to a simple truth that you're wrong. So I'll just leave it at that.

how am i wrong? Maybe the controls were good back in the ps2 days, but on a ps3 this game just seems wonky and im guessing the ps3s higher frame rate did something, or so i've read on gamefaqs.  finished the third colossus about 10 minutes ago and so far it has been bearable but not ideal 

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

Um...I've played Shadow of the Colossus on and off ever since it was released and I never really got annoyed with the controls until my last playthrough. Now I totally understand what you're saying about the controls. I don't know if I'm just getting dumber over the years but this last playthrough I did last year at college seemed a lot harder. Or maybe I was just looking at the game through rose tinted goggles to begin with. Still really like it though.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

Um...I've played Shadow of the Colossus on and off ever since it was released and I never really got annoyed with the controls until my last playthrough. Now I totally understand what you're saying about the controls. I don't know if I'm just getting dumber over the years but this last playthrough I did last year at college seemed a lot harder. Or maybe I was just looking at the game through rose tinted goggles to begin with. Still really like it though.

i mean its not a hard game, once you get on the colossus' back the fight is pretty much over its just the fight against the controls that makes the true difficulty :p 

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

I'm absolutely fine with the controls, the controls are great; I see nothing wrong with them in my opinion.

I do also agree that it is very annoying that they shake like hell and it takes almost forever for them to stop, but once they have stopped it's game on and they're dead in no time, so no worries.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:28 AM Edited by The Yokel, 03 February 2014 - 02:29 AM.

They did that on purpose. It's literally the only challenge in the game. If they made that easy you could waltz through the game. You're supposed to be patient enough to become good at it. A lot of games today don't even need a learning curve.

• Harley likes this

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

It's supposed to be challenging, you dope. 

The only problem I ever had was with the camera.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

It's supposed to be challenging, you dope. 

The only problem I ever had was with the camera.

i think of it as a "false" difficulty. It would be more difficult if their attacks were more frequent and the shaking did little more than waste my time, what it should do is push Wander down, instead he just hangs on to that spot, not moving unless you let go of r1. kinda like cod world at war when enemies just threw grenades at you instead of shooting on Veteran 

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

I've always wanted to play this game.

Maybe I should buy a cheap PS3.

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

It's well worth it. The game is unique, the atmosphere is great, and the colossi designs are awesome.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

i got it free from playstation plus.it was about 7 or 8 gigs. 

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

It would be more difficult if their attacks were more frequent and the shaking did little more than waste my time, what it should do is push Wander down, instead he just hangs on to that spot, not moving unless you let go of r1.

It would be a bigger waste of time if the shaking knocked Wander down. I'm not seeing what you're getting at.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

From what I understand there are certain trees that you can get fruit from to upgrade health and stamina but never done it myself. Got half way through before my PS2 broke. Watched the rest on youtube so may not bother with the HD version.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Agreed, I never made it past the third enemy, the controls annoyed me that much. Ico is pretty boring too IMO.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

I see a lot of people complaining about the controls for the HD/PS3 version, I've had no problem with it at all, then again I do not quite remember how it felt on the PS2. Such an awesome game tho.  

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

im on the 7th colossus now, these guys are easy, this 7th one is hiding so damn well, i look at a map and it tells me the guy is the other way but the sword tells me to keep going. That damn bearded bastard kept knocking me of 

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

You're supposed to manage the characters stamina meter while in combat with a colossus. Find nooks, crannies and platforms where you can take respite and replenish the meter. The point of the colossus shaking so much is to deplete the aforementioned stamina meter.  Your rag on the controls don't come in to play, the combat is, that key ingredient to any great video game - A puzzle.

Most delightful game ever made. 

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

sotc was epic and a perfect game

dk what you are talking about

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

You're supposed to manage the characters stamina meter while in combat with a colossus. Find nooks, crannies and platforms where you can take respite and replenish the meter. The point of the colossus shaking so much is to deplete the aforementioned stamina meter.  Your rag on the controls don't come in to play, the combat is, that key ingredient to any great video game - A puzzle.

Most delightful game ever made. 

i do that, I stand, let the stamina recharge, stab the guy then he shakes in quick succession so i don't have any time to recharge and when I do it is almost literally the last second. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users