Photo

Why I think Liberty City is based off of Boston

14 replies to this topic
Claude2001
  • Claude2001

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Liberty City from GTA 3 is actually Boston! It may sound weird, considering that many sources say that LC is based off New York City. But LC is an East Coast city, having no "Statue of Happiness" or "Firefly Island", like the GTA 4 Liberty City, which literally is New York City. 

Boston has the Callahan Tunnel; LC has the Callahan Bridge.

Boston has its Boston Coomon park; LC has Benneville Park.

The runway design of LC's Francis International Airport reflects the runway design of Boston's Logan International Airport.

Boston has many of its landmarks rendered into LC (Park Street Church, Boston Public Library, John Hancock Tower, Copley Square, etc.)

Boston even has three main islands, just like Liberty City.

Don't forget to post a reply!

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

It is neither Boston nor New York City. It is a generic land mass based on numerous US cities. Rockstar didn't base Liberty City on a specific location because they weren't recreating a city, they were creating their own city taking certain elements from multiple locations.
  • Th3MaN1 and Spadge007 like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Maybe we're just Sleepwalking...

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

It is neither Boston nor New York City. It is a generic land mass based on numerous US cities. Rockstar didn't base Liberty City on a specific location because they weren't recreating a city, they were creating their own city taking certain elements from multiple locations.

Wow, I never knew that. Where was that mentioned? Everyhwere I read, it says that LC is based of NYC. I also thought that Staunton was loosely based on Manhattan judging by the buildings.

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

Shrek is love, Shrek is life

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Well, the whole 3D-era LC is based on NY, but only ideologically. I mean, the similar architecture, culture, population, but almost no real NY landmarks.

And yeah, I don't know much about Boston, but the map of III loosely resembles it. The part where airport is reminds of Shoreside Vale.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2KSG

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

^ There are quite a few NY landmarks in the game. Times Square, Central Park, Manhattan Bridge, the flats where Asuka lives and the surrounding area, etc.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Not exactly. Portland is heavily based on lower and industrial class areas from Brooklynand Queens. Staunton Island is based on New York City´s Manhattan Island because it has several landmarks such as Torrington (Manhattan's Financial District),northwestern Bedford Point (Times Square), 366 (500 Fifth Avenue), Liberty City Community College (Columbia University) and derives its name from Staten Island. Shoreside Vale has several landmarks in New Jersey and parts of The Bronx, Westchester Country, Long Island and upstate areas of New York.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

It's mainly new york, with a boston/chicago influence. 

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I always thought LC was NYC.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

NYC to me

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

The runway design of LC's Francis International Airport reflects the runway design of Boston's Logan International Airport.

Are you sure? I don't see any resemblance whatsoever.

bengalboy_0701
  • bengalboy_0701

Under Control

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

From all I know:
Liberty City is an east coast city which is loosely based off of NYC. Portland was modelled after Lower class areas like Brooklyn and Queens, Staunton Island off of Manhattan, Shoreside Vale off of NJ and Suburban NYC, Red Light D. resembles the look of 70's New York, Portland Beach was modelled on the beachy areas round NYC, coney I, Sandy hook etc. and Chinatown, obviously, is based off of Chinatown, Manhattan (only here it is in Portland.). The Portland EL, The Subway, FIA and the observatory are most likely made up, however I don't know for sure. LC may be a mix between NY and Boston, since it is an 'East Coast City'. This is why it's my favorite city in the entire GTA Universe (yet), because it has such a unique atmosphere and feel to it. It's like the city had its own identity, cause it sure as hell ain't anything like we seen before, and it wasn't just a blatant NY copy like LC in GTA IV. If only they made a slightly better rendition...

Also, can anybody please change the title? It's misleading and posts here aren't on topic with the title given.
Either that, or lock it (highly not recommended, they've got a good conversation about LC going here).

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Also, can anybody please change the title? It's misleading and posts here aren't on topic with the title given.

If you see error with a post, please use the report button on the bottom right of it :^:

What do you think the name should be changed to?

bengalboy_0701
  • bengalboy_0701

Under Control

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Something like "Why I think Liberty City is based off of Boston" would be better. Saying "Liberty City is Boston" only invokes useless posts like "no it is based off of NY" and sh*t.
  • GTAKid667 and Jeansowaty like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Something like "Why I think Liberty City is based off of Boston" would be better. Saying "Liberty City is Boston" only invokes useless posts like "no it is based off of NY" and sh*t.

Done :^:

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

mmmmm well maybe but I wouldn't use the fact that the Callahan bridge and tunnel have the same name since R* tries to change all the names into ficticious ones. I think it's meant to be a generic metropolis but based mostly on NYC. The only out of place stuff is the LAX shaped airport and the typical LAPD black and white copcars. But otherwise it's NYC because the middle island heavily resembles Manhattan, there are places that look like Bronx and Harlem, there's a Central Park, Times Square, etc. The church and the university could be based on NYC ones too.

TL;DR It's a generic metropolis mostly inspired by NY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users