GTA LCS is CENSORED in Russia?

146 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

GTA 5 was released in China? That seems kinda hard to believe, seeing as one of the many antagonists in GTA 5 is Chinese and they won't release anything that portrays China in a negative light.

If they didn't have a publisher in China, they wouldn't make a translation for it. Easy logic :p

So evidently Chinese thugs are exempt from that "praise-everything-chinese" rule. Unless they were going to release it in Hong Kong. I wonder who dictates the games there...

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:52 AM Edited by Rapla_Tt, 02 February 2014 - 09:18 AM.

So, I have talked to Dageron.

Here it is full log: http://pastebin.com/5zMXZdEe

My impressions are... Uncommon, again. I have no comments after that discussion, seriously. But now it is clear why they had censored GTA LCS. After this discussion nothing will surprise me.

This is an excursion into the history of Russia, religion, conspiracy theories. But in common words: Dageron just dislike everything related to West (EU and America) because they 'bertrayed Russia' in the First World War when they had a revolution, so I understood nothing next. But as far as I knew, he is a real fan of pre-1917 Russia, fan of tsar Nicolas II (he call him as 'st.' - saint), fan of some Russian Christian Orthodox religious movements I definitely misunderstood what they are (and if this is some kind of pre-1917 ideology). The only thing I can exactly say - he is educated in the history of Russia.

And now everywhere there are liberals, immoral people, 'apostasy', mass-media which harm brain and soul, so he want to 'save Russia from this', add censorship to all digital products.

• Silent likes this

SparkleCalibreDF
  • SparkleCalibreDF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Why this thread even exists? People believe whatever retarded sh*t they want to believe, sh*t that makes them better sleep at night, is this something new to you? 

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Why this thread even exists? People believe whatever retarded sh*t they want to believe, sh*t that makes them better sleep at night, is this something new to you?

Why so negative? I personally found it as an interesting journey into some weirdo's political views and such. Gives you an outlook on how far people with their strong and (in this case?) sometimes imaginary beliefs can go.
  • universetwisters, jacka and codename_duchess like this

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:34 AM Edited by Rapla_Tt, 02 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

SilentPL, he also mentioned Poland, and you said that this is your homecountry. Was it truth what he had said?

And, btw, is Poland language much different from Russian? I read that this country also was a part of Russia in tsar times.

BAF-stueycow
  • BAF-stueycow

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

I don't think this is legit. Last time I checked, Rockstar doesn't change in-game billboards when they sell GTA games in different countries. Most they change to my knowledge would be subtitles and the like. But then again...

But then again, Russia/former USSR's known for this kind of stuff. If it happened in the past, who's to say it's not going to happen again? A basic rule of propaganda is that if you control the media, you control the masses.

Bit off topic but that guy sure drives like a russian

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:41 AM Edited by SilentPL, 02 February 2014 - 11:42 AM.

SilentPL, he also mentioned Poland, and you said that this is your homecountry. Was it truth what he had said?

And, btw, is Poland language much different from Russian? I read that this country also was a part of Russia in tsar times.

Yeah, Polish is relatively similar to Russian in terms of grammar and vocabulary, but we use a Latin alphabet.

I've read the entire convo and I'm actually worried. He wants Poland to be a part of Russia again as 'brother states' but it's NEVER happened in the past. Half of Poland was a part of tsarist Russia in the past indeed, but that was far from being friendly - Russia united with Prussia and Austria and decided to tear Poland apart into 3 parts. That's why there was no such country as Poland in 1795-1918.
It WASN'T friendly, and I doubt Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia did think of USRR as a 'friendly state' during the communist era either. Belarus may do (looking at their government) but I doubt the society shares government's opinion.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks video games don't cause violence amongst children who were raised in a correct way?
  • lpgunit, lol232 and 018361 like this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

LMAO, the guy is f*cking North Korean:

[2.02.2014 11:31:32] Andrey Dageron: No, I am not. I hate communism probably more than liberalism. Both these ideologies are created to enslave the human by sins and vices. Both thesse ideologies were used to destroy Russia, and many other countries and nations.

LMAO, I think we should fight that retard and make GTA LCS: SOVIET MOTHERLAND EDITION where you kill the white army guys, add much much much more blood and gore, a lot of gore, and make the Final mission to be where you play as Lenin and kill the Romanovs.
As a way of saying "Go f*ck yourself" to that guy. If he thinks videogames result violence amongst children, he should just forbid his kids to play the damn game. Simple.
He's nothing a but the Russian version of Jack Thompson.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:44 AM Edited by lpgunit, 02 February 2014 - 11:49 AM.

Sounds like a crazy case of author-tracting to make the game fit his anti-western agenda. Reminds me of how a certain Youtuber made Downfall parodies that lean towards her beliefs only to be frowned upon by most of my Unterganging friends.

@SilentPL - As for the effects of video game violence on kids, you can count me in. My 12-year old cousin has seen and played GTA since she was 8 yet she's a well-meaning and properly raised kid.

• Silent likes this

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

@SilentPL - As for the effects of video game violence on kids, you can count me in. My 12-year old cousin has seen and played GTA since she was 8 yet she's a well-meaning and properly raised kid.

As for me, I played GTA2 even before I was 8 (at that time I got VC) and I'm pretty far from being mentally unstable. I guess I took GTA as an anti-example. Proper way to play it, I guess?
  • lpgunit and lol232 like this

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Silent_PL, thank you for clarification, noted that facts.

So, I think that everyone got enough info. As for me, while starting this thread I was surprised after reading article on Dageron's site, thought that it was official localization, not fan-made. Now everything is much more clear.

GTA LCS is one of my favourite games and fortunally I play uncut original version, sad if someone was able to play in Russia Dageron-made one.
  • Silent likes this

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by tehSpitefulPotato, 02 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

As a Russian-speaking person I can confirm this guy is completely retarded. I can't even get why he localised the game if he hates it so much. I know in German version rampages were deleted but WTF, changing signs of all the restaurants to "Healthy Food"... Yeah.

I can only add that I've seen a lot of normal localisations, to prevent stereotypes of Russia & post-soviet countries censoring games like this.

P.S. Forgot to mention one of businesses in RLD changed to a library.

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

What businesses did you mean?

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I don't remember what exactly it was. But here are some quotes translated to normal English:

...missions where the developers make us kill people with explosive radio-controlled toys (what kind of ill people could have an idea like this?!)

...the more chaos you cause, the rating is higher; so in this way the game encourages and provocates agressy.

In localised version this district (Red Light District, renamed to West Portland) has nothing common with what stupid American developers were initially going to palm us off.

And screens:

http://dageron.com/w...eron_lcs_12.jpg

American company of R* GAMES are criminals. Don't contribute to them. They are authors of sadist video games.

http://dageron.com/w...geron_lcs_4.jpg

INTERNET CAN BE DANGEROUS. BEWARE OF INTERNET. Remember about chance of malefic content.

Also, in Russia almost all game discs are pirated, so there's a chance of having this localisation from retail.

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:46 PM Edited by Rapla_Tt, 02 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

tehSpitefulPotato, thanks, it is good that you know Russian. Probably after such localizations it would be better to know English :lol: , but well anyway. If there is still some interest, please, could you translate into English this and this?

edit: recently have found some more stuff...

http://dageron.com/?p=4709&lang=en

Poster_NoRockstar_eng_thumb.jpg

Billboard is incredible.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

From my experience in the field of gaming, I can state with almost 99% assurance that this person is suffering from a symptom known as the " old world blues ". It is a dangerous disease wherein the affected will try their best to preserve the old world at all cost, even at the risk of their sanity, lives, and the lives of others. A prime example could be found in a DLC of the game " Fallout: New Vegas " Where a group on old world scientists have tried, in vain, to preserve the old world, which had brought about it's own destruction. Another example of this would be know as the " Brotherhood of Steel " and " Brotherhood outcasts " in some regions as some had found a treatment to their disease, but couldn't help those who refused treatment. 

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind their effort if:

1. They didn't contradict themselves by saying that you just shouldn't play video-games. Why bother with the propaganda in it if people shouldn't play it?

2. They wouldn't make it about propaganda and use actual reasoning behind how it affects people.

It is people who wish to censor the world which scares me.if you censor too much stuff and it becomes the norm, then the next Hitler type person who comes along can make this world an even more dreadful place.  

• Silent and lol232 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Or perhaps the developer dude is some kind of elaborate troll?

Probably a wild theory, though.

ECB2
  • ECB2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Holy sh*t that guy is crazy.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:16 AM Edited by gamerzworld, 03 February 2014 - 12:19 AM.

It's NOT official. The translation is fan made, and the leader of the team who translated it, Dageron, is a weird guy who blames video games for violence amongst children. It was completely up to him to censore the game.

I had no idea Dageron was that mental, I was looking for a post date of "April 1st" on that article. Makes you really wonder why he even bothers to mod GTA. :S

By the way, am I the only one who thinks video games don't cause violence amongst children who were raised in a correct way?

Nope. I've been playing GTA since I was 10 years old (if I recall correctly) -- my first being GTAVC. I had to convince my parents I was mature enough to handle it. I was actually a pretty bad kid in elementary, which seemed to stop after I starting getting into more mature games. In a way, GTA helped me mature and opened up a career path.

• lpgunit and Silent like this

MarOxq
  • MarOxq

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

I am Russian and played this version of gta lcs on my PSP. This is a headache because Dageron's signs are EVERYWHERE.

This 'localizers' removed a lot of missions on all 3 islands. They changed plot so not Ma Cipriani hitmen hunts Tony, but triads gang, and there is no Ned Burner missions set on Staunton island, also some Maria's missions on Portland are removed. As well as no rampage missions, RC car missions, also blood is removed and many other weird things are done.

What about Redlingt District, I can't name what they have done with it (or Dageron himself). Just show some screens.

The title is: "LIBRARY"!
f89986305664193.jpg

The title with bottle is: "DON'T DRINK! Danger road".
Also smaller one: "Book is knowledge. Read books!".
1875f9305664348.jpg

The title is: "LITERATURE. Books. Human MUST read books."
0300e6305664375.jpg

You see, the main thing is that everybody wait since 2010 when Dageron's localization will be done (GTA LCS was translated by pirates earlier, translation was very bad), nothing was published about censorship and agitation, but only normal screens. Dageron (or his team, don't know well) translated GTA VCS earlier and that translation was pretty well, without any removed missions, and also all textures were original (English).

But last year they released GTA LCS translation! With everything this, that was idiotic, everybody waited for fan-made GTA LCS translation since 2010, and in 2012 we got this. Later some men tried to re-made Dageron's team localization and made uncut version, but it's still based on Dageron's work and fact why he had done everthing this with game is unknown. All comments on his website about censorship are getting removed.

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

So, is there a playable uncut Russian version of GTA LCS?

MarOxq
  • MarOxq

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Yes, some people from gta.ru tried to re-made Dageron's version, they restored all missions and translated them, added blood. But it has no Russian textures, evetything except text is in English, and text it is still based on censored version. And also till fixed version was done most fan-community had already played Dageron's version.

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Of course. I've seen a lot of normal localisations. I also played his (or his team's) localisation of Vice City Stories and it was rather good.

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Good to see that some Russians don't like censorship and ideological restrictions. As SilentPL said, mostly against this. After the conversation with Dageron which log I have published some posts above, my impressions were annoying.

MarOxq
  • MarOxq

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:58 AM Edited by MarOxq, 03 February 2014 - 09:00 AM.

Yes, sure. You see, the problem is that some our people prefer as much restrictions around, as they want, they think different from intellectual ones - I believe, different from most Russian citizens, who want to live as normal people in Europle. We have no democracy in Russia, a bit of things changed in the Putin's regime in comparsion with the USSR regimes. And our government just follow Putin's wishes, because consists of same kind human. We have a lot of laws which restricts as much things as possible, we have censorship on the TV, no independent news, no independent media, even the Internet is now not independent, now we have the same government firewall as only in China was done.

But seriously, what about videogames... There was no official goverment positions about their content. Most game discs sold in shops are not original ones (pirated), and it is practically impossible to control this, nobody cares. Dageron's ideas looks horrible even in comparsion with Putin's politics.

What about Dageron, looks like his position is different from the original government one. In message log you posted that just confirmed... He is a fan "Russian nationalist" subculture. The black-yellow-white flag (tsar Romanov flag) is just another confirmation.

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:12 AM Edited by Rapla_Tt, 03 February 2014 - 09:13 AM.

Sad, that due to some people your country can not break the chains and open doors for freedom and democracy. No matter if man like Dageron openly support your goverment or not, looks like they anyway work and think in the same with your totalitarist president direction.

If it will be not so hard, could you explain what "Russian nationalist" subculture exactly is (and maybe how dangerous it is), because the things Dageron told me in dialog mostly were about history and religion.
  • lpgunit likes this

MarOxq
  • MarOxq

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

I am not a historian and never interested in details, but it is some kind of Russian Empire fan community. They are fans of history before 1917 revolution, they think that Romanov's government was the best government ever, also fans of Whites in the Civil war. Mostly of their ideology is based on Orthodox religion. They like black-yellow-white Romanov's flag, because white-blue-red one is "too democratic". Some of their points of view are messed up with conspiracy theories, like "masons wanted to destroy Russia", etc.

And could they be dangerous... Probably yes, if they get the power. There is one concept that you call "tolerance", so Russian nationalists are intolerant people, this word is swear for them. They are fighting for national identity and pride, reject multiculturalism, believe that the primary nation in the country should be Russian and Christian Orthodox religion should be the main. But we have a lot of other nations - Tatars, Chechens, Dagestans, etc., who are Islam. Maybe this is just the main difference between Russian nationalists and Putin's official politics, because Putin supports a lot immigrans from the southern ex-USSR countries (Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, etc.) and also gives a lot of money to federative states like Chechnya. This is a controversial point, and many Russians dislike this, Russian nationalists dislike particularly.

They hate liberals and West because it is "full of vices", as well as hate democracy, believe the "Russian law order". Dageron's localization is just consequence of their ideology, which is difficult to understand.

tehSpitefulPotato
  • tehSpitefulPotato

meme police

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Good to see that some Russians don't like censorship and ideological restrictions.

There isn't much of it (at least in Ukraine, but I don't think Russia is a lot different in this). This Dageron's localisation is a really rare exception. In fact, most of them don't care because 63% of software is pirated.

By the way, one of first GTA SA localisations has become some sort of meme in Russian GTA community. Mostly because there was "SPENT" instead of "Wasted" and "BROKEN" instead of "Busted". Also OG Loc was translated as "GROUND LEVEL LOCATION".

@MarOxq - thanks for the info, I never understood what the hell is this flag.

MarOxq
  • MarOxq

Player Hater

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:37 AM Edited by MarOxq, 03 February 2014 - 01:24 PM.

Yes, "SPENT" pirated tittle is awesome ;)

On Dageron's screens this flag is everywhere:
80dfa4305679018.jpg

And some real Russian nationalists:
8eefbd305680469.jpg b0534d305680477.jpg d2e885305680480.jpg
(tittle on flag: "God with us")

Pre-revolution:
395755305681098.jpg
(looks like this people carry picture Romanov tsar)

Now:
037ec8305682499.jpg
(also with picture of Romanov tsar)

Rapla_Tt
  • Rapla_Tt

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Looks like some kind of demonstrations... Ok, I understood that met strong Russian ideological movement which is rather intolerant and anti-democratic as well as your old Russian tsarism was. Those people can be not even dangerous for Russia, but for world maybe more than communism. French citizens also has a lot of intolerant points of view and often debate about lack of restrictions, whole EU still has such people. But, ACTUALLY, lack of tolerance makes world rude and brings us to the Stone Age.

Digital materials (games, films, any media) should not be censored, any censorship means lack of freedom and democracy. And also censorship means the distortion of the author's ideas.
  • 018361 and tehSpitefulPotato like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users