Quantcast

» «
Photo

Xbox One and Wii U beneath heel again in weekly sales.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic
rubix99
  • rubix99

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well there was no doubt that Playstation 4 was the future of console gaming if we are being really honest. 

Though it does look like Xbox One has a future unlike the disasterous flop and rapidly dying Wii U.

Latest weekly sales of 'new generation' consoles sold worldwide on week ending 18th January 2014.

Playstation 4 = 149,643 units sold

Xbox One = 82,314 units sold

Wii U = 47,379

America seems to embrace the Xbox One a lot more than Europeans:

Consoles sold in North America on week ending 18th January 2014:

Playstation 4 = 59,636 units sold

Xbox One = 58,184 units sold

Wii U = 21,212 units sold

Consoles sold in Europe on week ending January 18th 2014:

Playstation 4 = 66,560 units sold

Xbox One = 19,974 units sold

Wii U = 11,506 units sold

Here is how things look overall, total lifetime sales of each console, and remember the Wii U has been out over a year compared to the PS4 and Xbox One being out just over 2 months.

worldwide_totals.png

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Why does America embrace XB1 more than Europeans? Because Microsoft are an American company, they market their product there much more than in Europe, they know they can easily fool the people over there.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

PSVita is dying faster than the Wii U. The next cross-play games for PS4 should boost PSV's sales if they are really interesting.

I personally have a Wii U and a think the next games (MK8, SSBB, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X) will help it.

My friends are more interested in Xbox One that in PS4, though.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:52 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 01 February 2014 - 02:54 PM.

PS vita is not dying at all. The sales have been going up ever since the remote play function with the PS4. PS Now is resurrecting it completely and you can play TLOU on it and now ALL ps3 games will be compatible on it. Not only that, but the rumours of BC on PS4 for PS1/2 games might even work on PS Vita easily. Please, research what the f*ck you are talking about. Wii U is honestly a disaster platform for nintendo. They should give up.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:14 PM Edited by AceKingston, 01 February 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Let's analyze one thing. So the PS4 is selling well now, yes no denying that. But aren't you forgetting about the PS3? It had a bad start but it picked up eventually but that did not mean that the 360 was the future of gaming. 

As for Nintendo, they do need to pull out something innovative like the Wii. Their exclusives are getting old as well. They need to do something new if they want to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I wish the best for Nintendo.

Huge hit to the gaming industry if they were to go. They need some serious third party help.

Also, we're going to see a huge jump in X1 sells come March. Bet on it.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

^^

That's just wishful thinking. The only way Microsoft even have a small chance of boosting their sales is if they make a new model that is $100 cheaper, bigger hard drive and remove the kinect which the rumours are stating right now. Even then, they still might not be successful because the people who have currently bought it will be pissed since they were forced to buy a much less powerful console with forced kinect at $100 more than the PS4.

They even need much better games as well.

rubix99
  • rubix99

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Let's analyze one thing. So the PS4 is selling well now, yes no denying that. But aren't you forgetting about the PS3? It had a bad start but it picked up eventually but that did not mean that the 360 was the future of gaming. 

Was for me. As Xbox 360 did better in sales in the start......about 90% of multi platform games turned out better on the 360......as developers made that console priority number 1. Also got the best of timed exclusive deals for games like GTAIV, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and Skyrim etc.

360 was definately the better console of its generation.....too bad Microsoft made their new system so unappealing to many gamers.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Admittedly, Xbox did slightly beat the PS3 last generation. But it still managed to catch it up and overtake it in the sales part and better exclusives were out altogether. Just like this gen, PS3 was more powerful except the hardware was more complicated, so the potential was never seen in its early stages.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

These numbers are bullsh*t. Vgchartz only 'guess' how much sold. It's unreliable.

Wait for the NPD results !
  • Toke, Finn 7 five 11 and FranklinDeRoosevelt like this

rubix99
  • rubix99

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:48 PM Edited by rubix99, 01 February 2014 - 03:50 PM.

Admittedly, Xbox did slightly beat the PS3 last generation. But it still managed to catch it up and overtake it in the sales part and better exclusives were out altogether. Just like this gen, PS3 was more powerful except the hardware was more complicated, so the potential was never seen in its early stages.

The problem I had with the PS3 was that it launched at a stupidly high price with no decent games. And as soon as I heard the much (then) cheaper 360 was getting exclusive GTA IV DLC.....I was sold to Microsoft.

I never cared for any system exclusive games. Been a 360 owner since 2007, never bought a Halo of Gears of War game. Every game I have ever bought on 360 has actually been out on PS3.

GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, The Orange Box, Stranglehold, Dragonage: Origins, Max Payne 3, Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row 4, GTA V.

Even the upcoming games The Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid 5 and Wolfenstein: New order are multi platform.....except for Nintendo Wii U which is getting none of these games.

• Mister Pink likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:18 AM Edited by AceKingston, 02 February 2014 - 10:18 AM.

Well other than specs, the Wii did out-do both the PS3 and the 360 in terms of sales in the previous generation. It kinda sucks that the Wii U is doing poorly now. Nintendo could have come up with something much more innovative IMO.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I had a Wii and honestly, I don't know how it done so well. It doesn't even have a good catalog of games, mostly first party. Seriously, it's just mario, zelda, sonic, and repeat it all over again. It's bullsh*t. I bought one and sold it after 4 weeks.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think the "casualness" of the console and the games appealed to a larger section of the community, especially children. Which is why it sold well, I guess.

• FranklinDeRoosevelt likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Nintendo is successful because there are people who aren't tired of their first party games, and there will always be people like that. No other console can boast franchises that are so iconic and intertwined with the Nintendo brand.

The WiiU has been doing poorly because it was marketed poorly, that's it. It's still a pretty decent console, and some good games coming out for it soon. One mustn't forget that it's also not competing with either the PS4 and Xbox One, it's doing its own thing. And no, Nintendo won't go bankrupt like people love to claim every year. f*ck, the 3DS sold 42 million units, at higher price point than usual. If they managed to turn that around, with a failed launch in the beginning to huge hit, they can do the same with the WiiU.

Now, OP, you claim PS4 was the future of game consoles based on sales alone. I guess by that same reasoning the Wii was the future of game consoles too, right? Or it doesn't count because it wasn't a real console?

I think Nintendo is going to break current generation with something completely different from Microsoft and Sony. This whole generation thing is getting pointless in the face of the rapidly changing hardware for the mobile devices. If anyone is the first to step out of this generation scheme and come up with something revolutionary, it will be Nintendo. Mark my words.

• DarrinPA likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Nintendo is successful because there are people who aren't tired of their first party games, and there will always be people like that. No other console can boast franchises that are so iconic and intertwined with the Nintendo brand.

The WiiU has been doing poorly because it was marketed poorly, that's it. It's still a pretty decent console, and some good games coming out for it soon. One mustn't forget that it's also not competing with either the PS4 and Xbox One, it's doing its own thing. And no, Nintendo won't go bankrupt like people love to claim every year. f*ck, the 3DS sold 42 million units, at higher price point than usual. If they managed to turn that around, with a failed launch in the beginning to huge hit, they can do the same with the WiiU.

Now, OP, you claim PS4 was the future of game consoles based on sales alone. I guess by that same reasoning the Wii was the future of game consoles too, right? Or it doesn't count because it wasn't a real console?

I think Nintendo is going to break current generation with something completely different from Microsoft and Sony. This whole generation thing is getting pointless in the face of the rapidly changing hardware for the mobile devices. If anyone is the first to step out of this generation scheme and come up with something revolutionary, it will be Nintendo. Mark my words.

The PS4 is the future of gaming consoles not because of the damn sales, but because it's catered strictly to gamers and sticks by it's word. Best exclusives, multiplatform games run and look better on it, and it's a more powerful system at a cheaper price too. Not to mention the backwards compatibility apparently coming to it, so that we can play all PS1/2 games.

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Why does America embrace XB1 more than Europeans? Because Microsoft are an American company, they market their product there much more than in Europe, they know they can easily fool the people over there.

Nobody here likes the Xbox One, except for little children and fratbros. Only reason I would buy it is for Halo.

• poklane likes this

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Nobody here likes the Xbox One, except for little children and fratbros. Only reason I would buy it is for Halo.

I hope that's sarcasm.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

I don't agree with that. You can even see that XB1 is doing better in America in general than the PS4, it's not just kids or anything. It's more biased towards Xbox than any other console.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

The difference this time is that both consoles came out at the same time. And the PS4 is more powerful, $100 cheaper and didn't have all the negative press surrounding it. Quite the opposite. It had a stellar marketing. And historically it has better exclusive titles. And by the looks of it, that won't change any time soon. Unless Microsoft gives people what they want, which is an Xbone without the Kinect, it will never beat the PS4.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 02 February 2014 - 07:39 PM.

The main reason wii did so well was 40 plus's went crazy for it. My parents were going to wii partys constantly. There friends had wiis they have a wii hell they still even use it. There were more injurys caused to the 40 plus's due to there party's than there ever was to children. Nintendo managed to tap into a whole extended market purely by luck and it happened to be the adult market where they have extra money to spend compared to the kids. The Wii U on the other hand has not been so lucky.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

What about Ouya? :p
  • OysterBarron likes this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Best Post of 2014 right there going to take a lot to top that one lol!
  • UtricularEwe001 likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Honestly, it's a gimmick. 8 GB and 16 GB consoles? Are you f*cking kidding me? The controller is pretty uncomfortable to use and storage is absolute crap. The worst thing about it are the sh*tty games. sh*ttest console ever made IMO. No wonder it needed kickstart to develop the garbage machine.

tubby custardd
  • tubby custardd

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

no wonder the wii u didn't do well i didn't even know there was a wii u, neither did anyone else I know.

megadrive2
  • megadrive2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Don't know why everyone has to take sides and succum to fanboyism. I know not everyone can afford it, but to truly have the best gaming experience you need all 3 systems.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

Of these three, I'd recommend buying WiiU because it has the best games at the moment. Both XboxOne and PS4 are lacking in games and will not get any good games till next year.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Of these three, I'd recommend buying WiiU because it has the best games at the moment. Both XboxOne and PS4 are lacking in games and will not get any good games till next year.

Not necessarily, they're getting great games within the next 6 months.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:58 PM Edited by AceKingston, 05 February 2014 - 01:58 PM.

The difference this time is that both consoles came out at the same time. And the PS4 is more powerful, $100 cheaper and didn't have all the negative press surrounding it. Quite the opposite. It had a stellar marketing. And historically it has better exclusive titles. And by the looks of it, that won't change any time soon. Unless Microsoft gives people what they want, which is an Xbone without the Kinect, it will never beat the PS4.

Actually the PS4 isn't $100 cheaper. Atleast in other countries, in Brazil it is like $1000 and in India $700 which i pretty kinda expensive. Either-way I still think we should wait until next year to really decide which is better when the games start releasing for both consoles and MS might release a new, tweaked XB1 model if that doesn't happen and the XB1's exclusives turn out to be flops, then at that point, we can say that the PS4 is the best console of this generation.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Lets not forget how much the ps3 was at launch, $600.

Just give it time, each system will eventually be in every gamers household, it is in mine: except wii u, only a wii.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users