Photo

Trevor was too over the top

220 replies to this topic
thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone else think Trevor would have been a much better character if he was toned down a bit? I loved the few earlier parts of the game where he spoke normally instead of raging all the time. Even when you hang out with him he is always yelling or ranting about something. If he talked normal but still had that psychopath aspect, then he would have been perfect

• visionist, Tikhung, Udrift and 1 other like this

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

....That's what he gets for being a meth addict.   :lol:

• theGTAking101 and Luuk' like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

I think people exaggerate Trevor a little bit. He ins't always raging or screaming randomly as people make it  look like, to me he rather speaks normally most of the time.

He'll only get sarcastic or angry if provoked.

• visionist, lol232, GroundZero and 12 others like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I think people exaggerate Trevor a little bit. He ins't always raging or screaming randomly as people make it  look like, to me he rather speaks normally most of the time.

Basically this, yeah. 

• LancerG2 likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Majority of the time he's yelling about some bullsh*t, I've played through the game twice and I've had the same experience both times

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

That why we got a Multiple Protagonists System.
  • visionist likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I think people exaggerate Trevor a little bit. 

Majority of the time he's yelling about some bullsh*t

I think his character is exaggerated for comedy effect.

Michael is a constantly depressed and Franklin is sooo laid back. Trevor adds a bit of spice to the mix.

• Luddite, SuburbansWorst and Militia like this

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

I thought the voice acting was too much, a little cartoon like. I got the same feel with Jimmy, but in a different sort of way.

There was only 4-5 times while playing the game that I accepted Trevor as a human, and not a cartoon. Didn't have the same problem with any other character.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

I disagree.

• Flexx likes this

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Him being the way he is, is what makes him awesome. 

JayWeazel
  • JayWeazel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

OP clearly has never tried meth.

• gunziness, GroundZero, Xx-ADITYA-xX and 5 others like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

IMO he's overrated. Sure there are moments where he provides comic relief, but I agree that the way he's agitated, loud and restless most of the time gets on my nerves. There are the odd moments where he behaves like a rational human being, but what I described above is the bulk of his personality. Not really to my liking.

Anyway his weird crush on Patricia is so corny and lame. I couldn't believe R* would even put something like that into one of their stories.

In my current save he's my least played character. The only time I ever really use him is when I want to complete his unique Strangers & Freaks missions or arms trafficking. Michael and Franklin are far better characters to me.

• HUGOHL, nobum62, BeLikeMike and 1 other like this

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Trevor is "too over the top"? Does no one remember Seth from Red Dead Redemption?

• chainsoar and JayWeazel like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

SoL, embrace yourself as you know whos coming...

• Miamivicecity and Gta_V_Fan_101 like this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

That's the whole point. He's supposed to be over the top. ..a caricature.

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, I guess.

I wouldn't have minded having just a regular cowboy character in his place, make the relationships of the three characters almost more movie like.

Maybe Rockstar does listen to all the talk and was trying to change things up from IV, who knows.

• Luddite likes this

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

After 100%ing the game I never switched back to Trevor...which leads into the idea that R* half-assed the story too much...which leads me into being disappointed  :/

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

He is much more complex than people think.

• visionist and im_stoned like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

I like characters that are a little bit over the top but for me Trevor was just a little bit too much over the top for my liking which is probably why I never really connected to his character like I did with Michael and Franklin.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:26 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 01 February 2014 - 01:26 AM.

IMO he's overrated. Sure there are moments where he provides comic relief, but I agree that the way he's agitated, loud and restless most of the time gets on my nerves. There are the odd moments where he behaves like a rational human being, but what I described above is the bulk of his personality. Not really to my liking.

Anyway his weird crush on Patricia is so corny and lame. I couldn't believe R* would even put something like that into one of their stories.

In my current save he's my least played character. The only time I ever really use him is when I want to complete his unique Strangers & Freaks missions or arms trafficking. Michael and Franklin are far better characters to me.

What pissed me off more is how they pissed on Martin Madrazo's character. He could have been a real threat but they made him a giant pussy towards the end

I didn't mind the Patricia thing, it provided a few laughs when I was bored of being stuck in Blaine County

• visionist, TheUnholy, Luddite and 1 other like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Now that you mention it OP, Ed Gein was way too over the top as well. So was David Parker Ray, Peter Dupas, the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs, Albert Fish - I think all those people were way over the top too. The universe should tone it with the psychopaths.

• visionist likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:36 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 01 February 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Now that you mention it OP, Ed Gein was way too over the top as well. So was David Parker Ray, Peter Dupas, the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs, Albert Fish - I think all those people were way over the top too. The universe should tone it with the psychopaths.

You have a very narrow definition of what constitutes a psychopath, do some research

Every gta character was a psychopath to some extent, but Trevor is the only one I find unbearable

• SmoothGetaway likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Why? He's just like every other psycho you can find in the real world. He's eaten people. He's a serial killer, where it's caused problems for him and Michael before the events of GTA V. It's hinted towards multiple times that he has most likely committed rape. He obviously has some mental illness, and will hear things inside his head sometimes when driving in his truck.

Is he just too real for you?

• im_stoned and DoG M0NKEYFAT like this

IntoGloryRide
  • IntoGloryRide

Warmonger

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:06 AM Edited by IntoGloryRide, 01 February 2014 - 02:43 AM.

Yeah he's over the top, but that's what makes playing as him so entertaining. The only part where it gets to be unbearable is having him swim underwater in a dress...yikes.
  • im_stoned likes this

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Founder/C.E.O. of the Kool Kidz Klub

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

I don't see why people dislike Trevor. He's everything a GTA protagonist should be.

• visionist and im_stoned like this

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:39 AM Edited by I Am NADA, 01 February 2014 - 02:40 AM.

Ok, too many people here don't seem to know what "psychopath" means. Being a psychopath does NOT make you overtly crazy. In simplest terms its an inability to feel most or any emotions. Plenty of psychopaths do not become serial killers or rapists or homocidal maniacs or cannibals. In fact many of them lead rather successful lives. Are all serial killers psychopaths or sociopaths? Yes. Are all psychopaths or sociopaths serial killers? NO.

And again, I refer you to RDR. Seth is out of his mind. Irish is so much of a drunk he could NEVER function to the extent he does in the game. Nigel would've been killed years before Marston even had a chance to meet him, with his ridiculously shiesty ways. Marshall Johnson's deputies are an over the top view of stupid rednecks (the fat one even looks inbred).

And look at Brucie in GTAIV. Anyone who thinks his character was in any way grounded in reality is a fool.

All GTA characters are over the top in one way or another. It's Rockstar's MO. Even Dr. Crabblesnitch from "Bully" is like an 80's college movie dean, allows bellowing and threatening. It's just how they operate.

• visionist and thatGuyyy like this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:01 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 01 February 2014 - 03:05 AM.

I don't see why people dislike Trevor. He's everything a GTA protagonist should be.

I prefer protags to be more grounded, not to be ridiculous caricatures

Trevor is the type of person I would never meet in real life unless I went to some f*cked up mental asylum, I couldn't relate to him therefore I didn't care about him at all

I dont understand why people think he's a badass, he's everything a person shouldn't be, a piece of sh*t

I killed him on my second playthrough and didn't regret it at all.

• Tikhung and nobum62 like this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

Some may be confusing "psychosis" with "drug-induced schizophrenia."

Trevor suffers from the latter.
  • visionist and Militia like this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

I AM LOS SANTOS'S RECKONING

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

I found him too tame.

• visionist likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

he's everything a person shouldn't be, a piece of sh*t

One of my favorite things about GTA V is that instead of it causing controversy in the media, it caused controversy among the - "fans" - of the game. Especially with the whole Johnny thing too.

So congratulations. You're the desired reaction. Nice job on this really deep and difficult breakdown of the character. Really, you've outdone yourself OP. Give yourself a nice 'ol pat on the back and go drink some hot cocoa!

• John Smith, Luddite and SuburbansWorst like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users