stronktank
  • stronktank

stronkwave

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

RED LIGHT DRIFTER http://rsg.ms/O6lqu2

As I said: Awesomeness!!

Although some checkpoints could use better placing. Like the one turning all back just before the finish should be more visible. Me and the one behind me thought it was straight forward.

Would like to try it with muscle cars too!

AndyC-M
  • AndyC-M

Cruise-Mids Founder

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

i played a bike race a couple of weeks ago, worst race ever

why are people creating such crap missions and races?

id make one myself if i even knew how to

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Interesting, thanks. lol.

handcuff_charlie
  • handcuff_charlie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Dam busters

Also East meets West for a more technical track links in my signature

This is a really good race, but the empty container needs to go. No way anyone is going to get thru that while at speed. I like the idea, but unfortunately because of the doors, the empty container is useless as a "pass-thru" prop.

Bomberlegend
  • Bomberlegend

Seeing through the bullsh*t

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

http://rsg.ms/Ohds1a

Thought you would like to check out the track I created. Played it a few times and thought it goes alright.

Any feedback would be great.

Been instructed to post this in here.

Curlypyebs
  • Curlypyebs

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

I've got a few tracks i could do with some with feedback on if you don't mind giving them a run

http://rsg.ms/1hcUORI

http://rsg.ms/1hcUSAW

http://rsg.ms/1hcUVwy 

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

I just put a bunch of races from this thread in a playlist to try them out solo. I don't promise I'll keep it around forever, but here it is in case anyone else new to the thread wants to try a bunch of them all at once:

http://socialclub.ro...UIUWrS4b6SIuQqw

Most of them were pretty fun, a few need some work.

One point of general feedback for the ones that need some work:

Consider how your checkpoint placement affects the direction of the arrow(s) in the checkpoint. The arrow in any given checkpoint points to the next checkpoint, so its direction is determined both by the location of the checkpoint and the one that follows.

Some of the races contain a number of checkpoints with arrows that point right into a brick wall, or off of a cliff the racer is not meant to jump off of. Not helpful.

Now I'm off to try the Rise and Fall playlists.

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Just played Rise and Fall (off) parts 1 and 2. Great races, maybe the best user created content I've played in GTA Online so far.

My favorites were Passing Through, It's Round Here Somewhere, and Paleto Run, with maybe Paleto Run being the best.

I like to explore downtown LS on a motorcycle, and have created one race there, so parts of Passing Through were pleasingly familiar.

I liked how the descriptions were used to create a story.

Checkpoints were well placed overall. Any points that left room for confusion were the exceptions that proved the rule.

The playlists together provide a nice tour of major map locations.

I would suggest placing fewer props on the map. They're not necessary for navigation, due to the excellent placement of checkpoints. Aesthetically, they break the verisimilitude and aren't consistent with the setting created by the combination of locations and race descriptions. I also prefer to turn traffic on when I race, but a lot of these wouldn't work with traffic due to all the props.

While the race courses are great, the default lap counts are kind of grueling. I'd probably knock one lap off of most of the races.

When I realized that Sandy Sores wasn't the last race in the Fall playlist, I started wondering where it would end. Seeing the Altruist camp at the start was a laugh. The traffic was a welcome addition. The unannounced switch to a point to point race for the last entry in the playlist was a little dissonant. Around the time I reached the Vinewood Hills I started wondering how long this lap was going to be, and whether I would need to complete more than one. Great ending though.

Given the theme of social mobility paralleled by geographic mobility, it seems like it could be cool to have a similar playlist that was all point to point races between these locations.

Anyway, great races, the work you put into them really shows.

• Cuz05 and stronktank like this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:11 AM Edited by Neal Fargo, 25 February 2014 - 03:01 AM.

Here are a couple of mine. They are not so great, but folks in this thread seem enthusiastic about motorcycle races, maybe you want to try them.

Arcadius Moto Rodeo

http://rsg.ms/1hfBqU9

1_0.jpg

This race is kind of a novelty. I wouldn't expect it to appeal to many, but I enjoy it, so I've kept it around. I default the laps to 1; you can always turn that up if you're masochistic.

Maldita Arena

http://rsg.ms/OvQFil

1_0.jpg

A more recent creation. Provides a varied mix of terrain, and rewards paying attention instead of accelerating blindly. With a high number of racers, the figure 8 crossing could get messy.

paulmgrath
  • paulmgrath

Dope Fiend

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 AM Edited by paulmgrath, 24 February 2014 - 02:06 AM.

@Handcuff charlie the containers there to basically split the racers up to the left and right before the next few high speed corners, its a online friend who recorded/played the race, if you hug the left side of it your ok to get through if you going quick enough, but yeah most people smash into the exit door.(lol)

But if you make it through you feel like a bad-ass and when someone hits the pumps going throgh the petrol station and you survive the fireball!
I tried to make it a bit like a motorstorm track if anyone played those games

stronktank
  • stronktank

stronkwave

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Vacant Quarry

The race starts off really good with the jump over the pile of sand and under the little bridge, but then goes quite random. Not too fond of the amount of construction fences. Most of them are unnecessary. Good placement of the first self made jump. Although not liking the end jump with stunt jump,.... Enough natural jumps in the quarry. The quarry is also more suitable for a lap race imo. Part of it is a lap as you return from the higher parts at the same point you went in.

The Hills
Good race! But there are two checkpoints pointing the wall to announce a sharp turn that cause confusion wether you have to take a turn or not. They can be pointing straight imo as there's only one road,... Liking the last part, and where you put the finish.

Motocross Los Santos

Loving this. Like the way you somehow 'enter' the motocross starting from the concrete. Great checkpoint placement as you always manage to give 2 options. Fun race that variates in every lap. And no props? Great!!

Chaparral Cross Country

Ruffian only? Good choice. Though would have loved to custom race this as it's a speed taking race. Like the offroad parts and the first jump!

Senora Desert Super-X

Not too fond of this one,... quite random.

Vinewood Supercross

Not really fond of this one. Like the way you're looking for natural jumps. Looks a lot like the Super-X: going up, then going down. And quite a long race too.

Arcadius Moto Rodeo
Love the title, and description!
Great technical race. Love the stunt jump! Didn't see this work out too often.

Maldita Arena
Good race. Like the way the rock rockets you into sea. Although I think there's a cp missing right before the one on the parking lot. 

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:53 PM Edited by Cuz05, 24 February 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Fantastic feedback Neal, really appreciate you taking time to play and review the lists, thank you.
Glad you enjoyed them and liked the idea. Have to say, the story only occurred to me after I'd made a number of the races and was looking at a map, thinking about locations.

All your points are fair and I completely get where you're coming from.
Race length, agreed. Main thought was meeting the magic 4min mark in terms of payout but having played thru it a few times myself, that's secondary and I have started dropping laps here and there in the lobby screens. A couple of them I like at 4 laps as they come in around a minute and for me at least, are more about getting into the flow of the course.

Sorry about dropping a PtP on you, lol. I wanted a definitive end to the story and that race really provides it, as well as rounding things off with a change of pace. I'll look at adding something to the description.

Traffic. I used to prefer traffic on but the more I've raced with my crew the more its p*ssed me off tbh. It's fine if there's not many of you but with half a dozen or more it can really spoil the balance imo. Especially when clipping an NPC on these will kill you. I get it tho, I'd be open to enabling it for others but....

Props. Totally understand this point. I'd rather have none at all or only for atmosphere, a big part of what makes creating and racing in GTA is the setting and environment and I really don't like cluttering it up, obscuring it and spoiling the immersion. While I clearly added almost all from testing solo, quite a few have either been requested or needed to be added after watching others on the tracks.
Some are certainly unnecessary for skilled racers in small groups and I'll grant that some may be unnecessary altogether. Where I did have problems was signifying alleys, of which there are a lot. Quite a few people will just blast straight past them if I don't block the road. I find people don't pay as much attention to CPs when racing in larger numbers. 
There's others that might seem OTT but actually do a subtle job for the CP nearby. Eg. Paleto has a sharp turn near the start, once you're up to speed on lap 2 it comes up quite fast. I found that there was a tendancy to brake too late to make it comfortable, myself included.There's a bin in there that you hit if you come in slightly too wide and it then rolls out to block the path for others. Originally I just had a couple of fences there. As soon as I tried blocking the whole road it served to slow everyone down much more appropriately and lessen the bin problem. Find that sometimes the bin can be slow to render and would appear just as you're about to hit it.

On Sandy Sores I had minimal props. The very 1st time I ran it with others, 6 or 7, some randoms, I saw people were all over the place on the 1st lap. Did laugh tbh, some people just seem to go in a straight line till they hit something. Cue a load of wrecked buses.
It's idiot proofing in a way.
I'd be very open to enabling traffic on them but having looked at the maps this morning, there's only a few that don't have at least one spot where I really need to block the road to signify or clarify a turn. As I'm sure you know, blocking just one section of traffic can cause chaos. That sort of justifies idiot proofing the rest of the course imo.
I'll certainly take a keen look at the prop situation when I race them in future and if I can slim them down to an appreciable degree then I will do just that.

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit selfish, my original aim in making these was entirely personal. I was in a serious rut with my Akuma and got to the point where I was considering selling it. I loved racing it early on and got so many of my unlocks on it so instead I took the bull by the horns and started making races. Idea being that I'd race my friends and crew on them and rediscover my love for it. Turns out I got rather into it, lol.

Interestingly, on one of your other points, we had a discussion in our crew about the idea of a map tour through various jobs and I have made another PtP, with the vague thought of doing a PtP playlist.

Thanks again for your input, I'll implement as much of it as I can. Need to see if I can cram another quote into my sig ;)

And sorry about the text wall :p

• stronktank likes this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

Arcadius Moto Rodeo

Love the title, and description!
Great technical race. Love the stunt jump! Didn't see this work out too often.

Maldita Arena
Good race. Like the way the rock rockets you into sea. Although I think there's a cp missing right before the one on the parking lot. 

Glad to hear you liked the Rodeo. I wasn't expecting any love for that one. I tried a stunt jump on the lower ramp at first. Very cinematic way to watch yourself slam into a wall.

You're right about the checkpoint in Maldita Arena. I left it out for a reason, but it was a bad reason. :-)  I put one in, and updated the description to be less stupid and include a warning about the dunk. Updated the job link above.

• stronktank likes this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

Fantastic feedback Neal, really appreciate you taking time to play and review the lists, thank you.

[...]

And sorry about the text wall :p

I figured the races came first and the story came later. It's interesting to think about what kind of playlists one might create with a story in mind from the beginning, though.

Also figured the lap counts might have to do with payout, and a nice payout surely doesn't hurt.

I tend to race in small groups of not-great racers (myself included) with a fair spread of skill. We like traffic because it adds chaos that can level the playing field. That is, everyone's got a chance to win when the guy in front can become a road smear at any moment. :-)

I love racing in alleys, and appreciated that you used them often.

That turn in Paleto, I pushed it too far and hit that bin every damn time. :-D

Looking forward to your next playlist.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Lol, that bloody bin.
That racing situation with traffic on is exactly why I used to prefer it on when racing randoms.

Currently got a few races in mind for a new PL but I think its gonna be more for fun and not bike focussed. Hadn't thought of a story but I do like the idea so we'll see ;)

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• D1RTY12

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

My latest creation for bikes, please feel free to critique, race is open to all vehicles but hands down best on bikes :)

Vinewood Chaser:

http://socialclub.ro...dA?platformId=2

deejayb1874
  • deejayb1874

Bolt Ya Radge!

• D1RTY12
  • Scotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

http://socialclub.ro...3bEuIqnGRvpf_pg

My Sanchez Trials Playlist. Lots of rage expected. Some are real hard to not get a DNF. You have been warned.

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

I have disliked most of the Rockstar Verified content, but Getting High and Low from the latest batch is pretty good: http://rsg.ms/1hpZsf8

• paulmgrath and stronktank like this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

My latest creation for bikes, please feel free to critique, race is open to all vehicles but hands down best on bikes :)

Vinewood Chaser:

Just tested this once with the default sports class and once with motorcycles. Solid foundation for a good race.

I found it as enjoyable with sports as motorcycles. But if you think it's best on bikes, why not set the default class to motorcycles?

Traffic and road barriers don't mix great. The barriers constipate the traffic. The traffic in this course is good, particularly the uphill into Vinewood Hills. I'd nix the barriers. The checkpoints tell you which way to go.

• Nitty Don likes this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

My Sanchez Trials Playlist. Lots of rage expected. Some are real hard to not get a DNF. You have been warned.

The warning was insufficient. Playing Elysian Heights was like being offered sex but given amateur dentistry. "The old switcheroo."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VzPsdkTCufs

• stronktank likes this

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• D1RTY12

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Vinewood Chaser:

Just tested this once with the default sports class and once with motorcycles. Solid foundation for a good race.

I found it as enjoyable with sports as motorcycles. But if you think it's best on bikes, why not set the default class to motorcycles?

Traffic and road barriers don't mix great. The barriers constipate the traffic. The traffic in this course is good, particularly the uphill into Vinewood Hills. I'd nix the barriers. The checkpoints tell you which way to go.

Thanks for the feedback, the barriers were to stop silly racers going the wrong way I personally think the CP's guide well so happy to remove :), when I made the race it was intended for sports cars, so it wasn't until I recently ran the race on bikes that I realised the top section was a lot better for racing larger lobbies as the road is narrow.

deejayb1874
  • deejayb1874

Bolt Ya Radge!

• D1RTY12
  • Scotland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

The warning was insufficient. Playing Elysian Heights was like being offered sex but given amateur dentistry. "The old switcheroo."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VzPsdkTCufs

Wait, so you got as far as the FIRST race in a 10 race playlist before deciding on the quality? I did say they were difficult. Ah well. I guess they are too challenging for you.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Lol Deej, you did expect rage. I've been threatened with that list a couple times but haven't yet been hit with it...

I have new bike race as one of the installments in the PL I'm currently working on. Theme is based on ferrying a package from Paleto Bay down to the docks via point to point races, with a few twists and turns, a variety of unusual stock vehicles and an attempt to work in a slightly different approach to GTA racing.

This will probably be race 3 of the 5. I want the weapons to be restricted to pick ups and although it worked that way in testing, I haven't taken this online yet or really looked into the settings but the actual race element is ready for full participatory tests. The description may change and it certainly needs to mention that the race is restricted to Daemons...

Interested to hear any thoughts.

Here it is.

a1_zps062599e7.png

• stronktank likes this

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Wait, so you got as far as the FIRST race in a 10 race playlist before deciding on the quality? I did say they were difficult. Ah well. I guess they are too challenging for you.

Pretty much, yep. :-)

Neal Fargo
  • Neal Fargo

Mad Dog

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

The Emissary

http://rsg.ms/ONYosf

1_0.jpg

Started working on this one last weekend. Came back to it today and cut out some parts that didn't work at all. Still some rough spots in it. Would appreciate constructive feedback about what still needs improvement.

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• D1RTY12

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Lol Deej, you did expect rage. I've been threatened with that list a couple times but haven't yet been hit with it...

I have new bike race as one of the installments in the PL I'm currently working on. Theme is based on ferrying a package from Paleto Bay down to the docks via point to point races, with a few twists and turns, a variety of unusual stock vehicles and an attempt to work in a slightly different approach to GTA racing.

This will probably be race 3 of the 5. I want the weapons to be restricted to pick ups and although it worked that way in testing, I haven't taken this online yet or really looked into the settings but the actual race element is ready for full participatory tests. The description may change and it certainly needs to mention that the race is restricted to Daemons...

Interested to hear any thoughts.

Here it is.

a1_zps062599e7.png

If you manage to get a GTA race to pick up weapons only please tell me how, wanted to make a few Motorbike and Pistol races :)

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

If you manage to get a GTA race to pick up weapons only please tell me how, wanted to make a few Motorbike and Pistol races :)

Sounds like you're saying it's not an option :(

I've got sawn offs and molotovs.

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• D1RTY12

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I had trouble getting the start weapons to pick up only, easy enough to drop the weapons you want but when I raced everyone still had access to their personal arsenal ?

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Ill look at the settings but I imagine its not there. It is in DMs of course so it shouldve been implemented in GTA races imo.
When I scrolled thru my weapons after the 1st pick up, the sawn off was the 1st one after the fist but when I respawned I was straight on the mini Uzi, even tho I had the sawn off active before death :(

stronktank
  • stronktank

stronkwave

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Liked yours a lot Neal Fargo! Great race. Recognized a lot of alleys that I also used in some of my alley races. Going to retry it tonight and give some feedback.

Cuz: Made a similar chopper race called Zed's dead (referring to Pulp Fiction) but not too sure it's that good and didn't lock to daemon as I like to take out my custom hexer (can't choose hexer in the creator,...?) ,.... Liked yours a lot though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users