I dont understand why people hate on GTA VC for being some sort of rip

31 replies to this topic
Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have seen alot of people saying that the movie Scarface, and VC was a rip off it... I dont think so. and VC has gotten alot of hate for it... Can someone just sum up this whole thing, when did it start..? 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have seen alot of people saying that the movie Scarface, and VC was a rip off it... I dont think so. and VC has gotten alot of hate for it... Can someone just sum up this whole thing, when did it start..? 

I dont get them either OP,but VC was heavily influenced by not just Scarface but 80s movies and instead Scarface:The game was a rip-off of VC
  • ParanoiaX likes this

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

It's partly influenced from the movie and partly with the writer's imagination in drawing a picture in the GTA Setting within the GTA Concept and about making the GTA functional in allowing players to enjoy it with lots of interesting characters that no one has ever realised in a gaming history.
I don't think any one hates VC rather missing the point. In which case, hope this thread helps in clarifying it with interesting discussions with all GTA Fans.

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Why exactly did you post this in the GTA V section? It should have been posted in the VC section -_-

fuzzel
  • fuzzel

The wierdest of the lot.

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Vice city was based on 2 things.

1 was Scarface, the other was the original Miami vice.

VC, SA, and V are the ones I enjoyed the most. 

There's an easter egg in VC that when you get three stars, an undercover pair of cops (resembling Crockett and Tubbs) show up in a white cheeta (representing the White Testossera Ferrari that Sonny drove. It has a special tan interior that cannot be found anywhere else ingame) and attempt to arrest you.

• LeopardGecko likes this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Trouble Man

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I dont get them either OP,but VC was heavily influenced by not just Scarface but 80s movies and instead Scarface:The game was a rip-off of VC

How so? Have you ever played Scarface TWIY?

The game was the complete opposite of any kind of GTA clone. Look at what it introduced:

- Dealing dope on the streets. Buying cocaine on the islands and running it back to Miami by boat.

- Multiple characters. You not only played as Tony Montana but also his enforcer, driver and assassin.

- Multiple locations by which Tony can fly to by air or travel by boat.

- Taunting pedestrians. Striking up conversations with them.

- Purchasing exotics; buying henchmen, vehicles, items for your mansion.

- A wanted system that greatly influenced GTAIV's.

Five of six of those later ended up in various GTA titles. If anything, Grand Theft Auto took more from Scarface: The World is Yours than TWIY took from GTA.

It is a great crime that Scarface never saw a PS3 or 360 release.

• Blingy, Miamivicecity, Dope_0110 and 3 others like this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Vice City has a lot of homages to Scarface, but the plot itself only has some basic things in common with it.

How so? Have you ever played Scarface TWIY?

The game was the complete opposite of any kind of GTA clone. Look at what it introduced:

- Dealing dope on the streets. Buying cocaine on the islands and running it back to Miami by boat.

- Multiple characters. You not only played as Tony Montana but also his enforcer, driver and assassin.

- Multiple locations by which Tony can fly to by air or travel by boat.

- Taunting pedestrians. Striking up conversations with them.

- Purchasing exotics; buying henchmen, vehicles, items for your mansion.

- A wanted system that greatly influenced GTAIV's.

Five of six of those later ended up in various GTA titles. If anything, Grand Theft Auto took more from Scarface: The World is Yours than TWIY took from GTA.

It is a great crime that Scarface never saw a PS3 or 360 release.

You forgot the fact that you can summon your cars to you at any point on your phone, which was also in GTA IV's DLC packs.

TWIY is only a rip off of Grand Theft Auto in the sense that Grand Theft Auto defined the Sandbox genre. The activities are pretty different from what you do in GTA.

• Blennerville likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Vice City had many clear Scarface influences, but the reality was that the game felt nothing like the Scarface movie itself. A lot of the game was actually more influenced by Miami Vice more than Scarface (according to Sam Houser). And also, the protagonist of VC is an Italian-American mafioso, not an immigrant Cuban drug lord like in Scarface. To me, VC just felt like a mix of different popular crime movie and TV show influences that formed together to give it's own unique feeling and identity.

• Zee, Blingy, Tyla and 5 others like this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Trouble Man

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

You forgot the fact that you can summon your cars to you at any point on your phone, which was also in GTA IV's DLC packs.

Well remembered. You were also able to arrange weapons from the phone through your arms dealer, much like the Episodes. Then there's the ability to deposit your money at the bank - and lay wagers on cage matches on the container ships in the islands similar to the same mini-game in TBOGT. I could go on all night.

Vice City had many clear Scarface influences, but the reality was that the game felt nothing like the Scarface movie itself. A lot of the game was actually more influenced by Miami Vice more than Scarface (according to Sam Houser). And also, the protagonist of VC is an Italian-American mafioso, not an immigrant Cuban drug lord like in Scarface. To me, VC just felt like a mix of different popular crime movie and TV show influences that formed together to give it's own unique feeling and identity.

You nail it. It doesn't feel like Scarface. Vice City is its own entity. Watching Miami Vice after so many years, you get a sense of where Rockstar drew their influences from. Doesn't feel like a rip off but you can see where their ideas formed for the appearances of Colonel Cortez, Diaz, Avery Carrington, Diego Mendez etc. Someone should do a topic.

• Official General, Cincy32 and Blennerville like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I wouldn't say that it is a rip as it isn't exactly the same but is heavily influenced by the movie and other movies and TV shows on the 80's. The first time I played through GTA VC I had never seen Scarface (I was 12 years old) so I really didn't realise the similarities between the two until a while later.

Danzeman
  • Danzeman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Diaz's mansion is based on Tony's, I think the security screen actually shows it. There's a chainsaw in a bloodied bathroom. Shootout mission in the mansion is like in the film, except you don't die. Then there's the whole rags to riches storyline. They are just easter eggs to 80s popular crime culture as seen from afar, ie TV. Didn't know it received hate for this though, who doesn't love cultural easter eggs??

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I never see it receive hate for being Scarface-influenced. If anything I always see it receive praise instead.

• Blennerville likes this

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Soldier

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Guys.. Speaking of Scarface: The World is Yours game.. It was released before GTA IV, why are you saying it ripped of features from GTA IV? It's more like GTA IV ripped of Scarfaces wanted and phone system.

Danzeman
  • Danzeman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

VC, not IV...

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

It wasn't a direct clone but was obviously inspired by GTA. I think it is pretty funny that a Movie inspired a game and then when a game is made based on that movie it takes inspiration from the game that was inspired by the movie. 

@OP Vice City took heavy inspiration from Scarface but it was more so inspired by Miami Vice. There are hundreds of references to it in the game and even the name was inspired by it. I have never heard anyone attack VC for being inspired by Scarface though. So that's strange. 

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:00 AM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 20 April 2014 - 02:07 AM.

Watch a couple early seasons of Miami Vice and you will see just about every thing in Vice City.   Scarface has some influence on Vice City's style, but I would say Miami Vice is the #1 inspiration.  1986 was when Miami Vice was really big.  Pure 80s.  1983 is Scarface, which is still hearing the echos of the 70s with Debbie Harry and Giorgio Moroder songs.  1986 is seeing the initial popularization of rap, and the first signs of the 90s, though still holding on to the colorful neon style. 

• archiebunker and Official General like this

Urban Legend
  • Urban Legend

No, f*ck no.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

Nicely put Urban...

That Scarface game was extraordinary in my opinion. But at the same time it doesn't compare to vice city. It feels so different to me. There are some real heart pulsing moments in TWIY's while the same is true for Vice it's just a little easier having fun! Much less menus and money to worry about.

cookiemonster14
  • cookiemonster14

Gangsta

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Why would it be a rip off? It was inspired by the movie Scarface and some other movies, but it's definitely not a rip off.

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:02 PM Edited by JeffreyDahmer, 27 April 2014 - 03:03 PM.

Vice City is The Gta That is most Inspired by Hollywood i think its hard to debate that but to call it a rip off is harsh i think its just the References ( The Mansion Being the Biggest ) people look at that and the fact your a drug Baron with a temper trying to rise to the Top of the drug trade in 1980s Miami.

Vice City is still Very Much its Own Story Though. 

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I Agree. I dont know why we have all these people in threads bashing VC for being a Scarface rip off. I love Scarface, but it was nowhere near in the point where VC has ripped it off.

CosmoKramer0
  • CosmoKramer0

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

No hate what so ever. GTA Vice City is a FANTASTIC game and Scarface is a FANTASTIC movie.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I don't even think these people who say it's a ripoff of Scarface have ever seen the movie. Yes the plot bares some slight similarities with Tommy rising to power, but as I've seen Scarface countless times VC's plot is mostly original.

You'd think they took the script from Scarface and copied it exactly with the way some people describe it.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Way I see it, VC was an important step in game evolution.

-Withouth the improvements of VC over 3, there would not have been SA.

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

My names Lewis (gamertag is inside joke) and I'm that white

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

It has the same canvass, it doesn't mean it's a rip-off. It probably has better story-telling than Scarface.

With that said, I loved both of them - Scarface & GTA: Vice City. Amazing movie, amazing game.

• Tyla likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

advanced polygon count on people, advanced AI, advanced ragdoll, new vechiles incluing bikes and choppers, dynamic weather, the character talks, indoor shops, more involving plot.

-just few things that VC has over III. So it really is a big step, even though on the surface it might not look like one.

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

I never met anyone who hates GTA VC.I´ts a great game,why would anyone hate it just because of a few references to Scarface or Miami Vice?

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

GTA universe resident since 2002

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

GTA Vice City is definitly in the Top 3 of the best GTA ever, I think I've been playing it for around 1000 hours since 2003 (it was my first GTA, the feeling of freedom I felt the first time I played it was unforgettable !). However my only real complaint about it (and many game from R* share that flaw) is that the game is way too influenced by movies. If you remove every aspect of the game that is heavily influenced by a movie, you loose around 83 % (I guess some people will understand the easter egg :-D) of the storyline.   

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

I just wanted to say that Vice City was awesome sauce and I play it more than I should on my phone while i`m at work.

OT : I reckon it was a tribute to Scarface in many ways but had enough of it`s own vibe to stand on its`s own feet and I actually enjoyed all the Scarface references and the "easter egg" haha.

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

I finished GTA: Vice City last week and... I've almost cried, I swear.

• Yuna likes this

Yuna
  • Yuna

The Pole Position

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I always thought it was more of a tribute. They were always pretty open about how they borrowed elements from Scarface and Reservoir Dogs, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They don't deny it at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users