Photo

Stuttering & Shivering

No replies to this topic
gremlinkurst
  • gremlinkurst

Old Hand

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:34 PM Edited by gremlinkurst, 03 February 2014 - 01:11 PM.

Referring to http://gtaforums.com...fix-stuttering/ I edited the target box of my desktop shortcut to read:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -memrestrict 629145600

…but, the game is still acting like memory is overloaded, or my GPU (see signature) is behaving like too much is being asked of it. I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and the game worked FINE before. Not now. The cursor moves really slowly and jerkily when the curser moves the mouse to make menu selections, and the animated pre-game screen loads are jerky and vibrating. When the game comes up, everything is real jerky, slow, and tardy to respond. Any ideas?

I forgot to mention a couple of other things which MIGHT be related to cause of issue: I can't stream video on Netflix anymore (the video output frame of the page goes black and the audio dies, and Netflix says they don't know how to fix it). To take care of that, I'll be accessing that service on a different operating system, a Linux release, at least until I can figure out what the problem is. Also, streaming Flash video, which doesn't use HTML5 or Silverlight, is badly out of sync RE audio track AND behaving like memory is swamped, jerky and freezing. When I DOWNLOAD the video I'm unsuccessfully trying to stream, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player Classic, IrfanView Player, and VLC Media Player have no trouble whatsoever playing the file well. In order for all the applications on my system to handle the wide variety of filetypes that default applications should play/view, I have installed both bit-versions of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 9.8.0 since I'm running a 64-bit OS and the 32-bit version has codecs the 64-bit version doesn't...AND I'm going to uninstall that to replace it with author's update to version 10.2, which utilizes only a single installer.

I know that it looks like the video issue I'm experiencing with GTA IV is not the game's "fault," but I'm hoping someone DOES know what the problem's solution is and will share it with us. I am following this topic, and for the benefit of anyone else that might experience this issue, I will post the solution if I find it elsewhere. Towards that end, I'm going to post this on other [non-GTA] sites, a Windows 7 site and a GFX/GPU site.

[Later]

I know this is completely unrelated, but after I determined that a context menu problem I was experiencing was due to peripheral hardware failure, I replaced my mouse, after which these things happened (also unrelated to the mouse):

1) My GTA IV Complete Edition game started rendering video normally.

2) Netflix started rendering video normally.

3) My browsers started streaming video normally.

4) My wireless network adapter stopped being "partially blind;" it became able to see all locally networked devices (an issue related to the Vonage router that I use to access the internet).

The only other things that were done to change system configuration files were two Windows updates installed, a Windows Defender definitions update, and a C++ library update. Precisely HOW the issues were resolved defies logical explanation. Thanks for your help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users