I hate the search!

12 replies to this topic
RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Why is there a flood control feature for the search? If I search for something and it turns up with nothing, I have to wait a certain amount of time to search again? This doesn't make sense to me.

Also why can't I search for anything below 4 letters? 

What if I wanted to search for something in a 300+ page topic regarding IGN or PC or anything else <4 letters? I can't search for it, so I either have to backtrack tens of pages and hundreds of posts trying to look for something the search could give me within a minute or less. 

I love that I can search between forums, and within topics and members (like find posts made by certain members), but it can be better. 

• StormerBoy and SonofYankton like this

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

For anything below 4 characters just google: site:gtaforums.com ABC

• WBaker likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 29 January 2014 - 11:43 PM.

Okay thanks for that. I'll remember it the next time I need to find something buried in a thread.

As for the first bit, it would be great to remove the flood control for search. Also thanks for deleting that double post. Don't know how that happened.

Okay the Google thing does help, but it seems to mainly search for topics related to what I'm searching for. is there a way to search for things within threads?

Like someone mentioned IGN in the GTA V PC Discussion thread (the first one)?

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:40 PM Edited by Andreas, 29 January 2014 - 11:40 PM.

Flood controlling is there to avoid the servers getting stressed too much and to improve loading times. Lowering the amount of time until you can search for something again by a lot, or hell even removing flood control altogether could be fatal, considering the activity on these boards.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Flood controlling is there to avoid the servers getting stressed too much and to improve loading times. Lowering the amount of time until you can search for something again by a lot, or hell even removing flood control altogether could be fatal, considering the activity on these boards.

I didn't even think about that. But coming from Overclock.net where I can search immediately after another, I sorta expected that here.

But then again I don't even use the search that much. Only when I need to find something from way back. Anyway forget it :sui:. I was just a little frustrated, but hopefully something can be done to better the search function. Especially for searching for <4 letter words within threads. Google doesn't help much with that. But it will come in handy if I need to find a thread on the site.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Some other cool stuff you can do with google is to use quotation marks to find that exact word/phrase. Google searches for words and their alternative meanings or similar other words by default. For example, if you Google ww2 boats, you'll get results with the word "ships" (google will bold it). But if you google ww2 "boats," it will searching specifically for the word "boats," it won't bold similar words.

You can also remove certain words or phrases from your search. Like, you want to search for ww2 ships, but you don't want any battleship results. So, you enter: ww2 ships -battleship. Now none of your results will contain the word "battleship." You can request to find two or more words in the same document. So, if I want to search for ships having to do with Denmark, I could google: ships AND "Denmark." That will display documents with both "ships" + similar words AND the exact word "Denmark." You can do an OR too. Let's say you want to buy either a puppy or a kitten. You can do two google searches to search for breeders specializing in each or you can do something like "puppies and kittens for sale" or "puppies or kittens for sale" or "puppies kittens for sale." This will get you results of documents with documents that have puppies and kittens on them (though, not necessarily all of them as in the case of AND). However, if you write in: puppies OR kittens for sale, you'll get breeders specifying in either. It's like doing two different searches at once.

Also, you can filter by file type. Type in type:file_type, and you'll get results consisting of solely that file type. So if you google: history type:pdf, you'll get a ton of pdfs that have history on them.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Okay the Google thing does help, but it seems to mainly search for topics related to what I'm searching for. is there a way to search for things within threads?

Here's an example on how to search within topics;

site:http://gtaforums.com/topic/679570-i-hate-the-search/ "PC"
site:http://gtaforums.com/topic/679570-i-hate-the-search/ "IGN"
  • Andreas and WBaker like this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Here's an example on how to search within topics;

site:http://gtaforums.com/topic/679570-i-hate-the-search/ "PC"
site:http://gtaforums.com/topic/679570-i-hate-the-search/ "IGN"

Hey this is what I need :D

Thanks a lot! 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

The search is being incredibly dumb today. Searched for a topic that I clearly remember in Gen Chat and after making sure I was specific enough, I got 'no results'. So I search again and there is this pain in the ass 50 second wait. What the hell? I cannot believe I thought 29 seconds was bad.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:40 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 31 January 2014 - 08:41 PM.

The search is being incredibly dumb today. Searched for a topic that I clearly remember in Gen Chat and after making sure I was specific enough, I got 'no results'. So I search again and there is this pain in the ass 50 second wait. What the hell? I cannot believe I thought 29 seconds was bad.

Yeah, this is pretty much what forced me to start this thread.

I was searching for a thread made by someone back in October. I put a space in the name and got no results. When I went back to take out the space I had to wait to search again.

Hopefully something can be done about this, if possible. If not then the Google method will be enough for me.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Also, speaking of the Search feature, is it possible to go back to the old Search feature the forum had, to where it was possible to narrow down your search according to username and dates, etc.-like it used to be before the forum upgrade/update? Cause that's how I did a lot of my searches-was by usernames...for example, if I wanted to look up the old Time Vault topic in GTA III, I would always go under the Search engine and type in "Time Vault", type in the creators name "Demarest" and then select the section, which is GTA III and it always seemed to work best. Now, with the new Search feature, you can't narrow it down like that-that I know of?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

http://gtaforums.com...earch_in=forums

There is a gear icon next to the search bar that meets your needs.

• radioman likes this

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

http://gtaforums.com...earch_in=forums

There is a gear icon next to the search bar that meets your needs.

Thanks for the heads up, that is quite helpful for conducting searches. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users