PS3 Racers : Xbox Shooters

18 replies to this topic
mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Is it just me.... (prepares for adequate flamage) or does there seem to be a disproportionate split between the console divide....

Strikes me that in the PS3 community i tend to see more racers than shooters, yet the opposite is true on Xbox...

Having thought about it i cant help but think its down to the controller setup, with the triggers on Xbox replicating those of an actual gun, making it easier to play FPS type game or a tendency towards shooting in sandbox titles like GTA... whereas the more paddle based triggers on PS3 are more accomodating to drivers than shooters...

Anyone else noticed this or is it just the circles i run in??

Are you an Xbox Racer, or a PS3 shooter that upsets my hypothesis?

Thoughts?

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

Forever hungry

• Members
  • Cuba

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

It's because the Xbox has always had the controller that's better for shooters.  I have no problems with it for racing either, but the PS3 controller is a lot better for fighting games.

So the Xbox shooter crowd is just showing in GTA.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

It's because the Xbox has always had the controller that's better for shooters.  I have no problems with it for racing either, but the PS3 controller is a lot better for fighting games.

So the Xbox shooter crowd is just showing in GTA.

so im not just going mental then lol...

ive always thought it was controller config myself, your right Xbox is much easier for shooting, im not much of an FPS player but where i have i find it easier on Xbox, even though i prefer PS3 (my best mates an xbox player so we have the "which is best" debate often)

likewise i dont have a problem shooting (other than moral indignation) using my Ps3 controller,,, but i do feel preference towards driving and cant help but feel its not feeling a "trigger" under my finger...

hell its even called a Trigger on Xbox... on PS its L2 or R2... a slight element of subversive conditioning?

Even on the GTAf i tend to find "racing" threads are dominated by PS3 players, whereas the "Free Aim " debate seems to engage more Xbox players...

Ps cheers for the mature reply...

KatieTheCookie
  • KatieTheCookie

The Cookie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

I get shot on the PS3 just as much as I do on the xbox :L

FlatsTheButtKicker
  • FlatsTheButtKicker

Butt Kicker

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

I would be playing GTA V on PS3 but Rockstar's game is so good it crashed my PS3 and broke my disc drive so I was forced to rebuy it on Xbox

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

I get shot on the PS3 just as much as I do on the xbox :L

thats cos your fingers are crummy from all the :cookie: 's

:p

Kracus
  • Kracus

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm an xbox player but I love me some racing, not really a fan of the shooting aspect of GTA.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

Proud Leader Of The Chrome Patrol (CHPT)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:13 PM Edited by AiraCobra, 29 January 2014 - 01:15 PM.

I wish I could use my XBOX controller on my PS3.

I am a PC Gamer too and I use an XBOX controller and I noticed a difference too but I just though it was because I haven't used my XBOX controller in a while glad to know It wasn't just me.

But I do notice a difference in the configs on the driving and shooting.

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Raiders of the Laced Arc

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:14 PM Edited by BondageKitty, 29 January 2014 - 01:17 PM.

I played both and really can't tell the difference. True thought that Xbox controller is better for shooters and PlayStation for fighting games.
For those that like the Xbox layout. I seen some 3rd party PS3 controllers modeled after the Xbox and there are adapters. I try to use my Xbox controller on PC.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Xbox has the better controller overall. 

Back on GTA 4 there were more Xbox Racers than PS

Most of the really good Xbox racers no longer play due to R* murdering the skill gap to zero. 

I guess the good PS racers stuck it out. 

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'm an xbox player but I love me some racing, not really a fan of the shooting aspect of GTA.

a man after my own heart (prepares for gaybear trolls...) im not much a fan of shooting in general, but i can hold my own these days.

Most of the really good Xbox racers no longer play due to R* murdering the skill gap to zero. 

contentious opinion lol... personally im not a fan of the Xbox controller, isnt as ergonomic for me, but im pretty short too so that might be a factor lol... but interesting about the opposite being true on GTAIV... i genuinely think that the cashocolypse both in terms of nerfed payout and the injection of hacked cash stopped alot of peeps doing alot of missions... including racing.. seems harder on both xbox and ps to get a full lobby in a race than pre 1.06 and hack-gate

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

Forever hungry

• Members
  • Cuba

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

There is no better controller.  They both have their pros and cons.

I love playing Black Ops 2 on a Xbox controller, but I've lost matches in fighting games because the D-pad on the Xbox was designed by a 12-year old.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:30 PM Edited by GTARACER93, 29 January 2014 - 01:32 PM.

a man after my own heart (prepares for gaybear trolls...) im not much a fan of shooting in general, but i can hold my own these days.

contentious opinion lol... personally im not a fan of the Xbox controller, isnt as ergonomic for me, but im pretty short too so that might be a factor lol... but interesting about the opposite being true on GTAIV... i genuinely think that the cashocolypse both in terms of nerfed payout and the injection of hacked cash stopped alot of peeps doing alot of missions... including racing.. seems harder on both xbox and ps to get a full lobby in a race than pre 1.06 and hack-gate

There is no doubt  that since nerfs less people race. 

The Xbox 360 controller is the best for racing/shooting though :p 

I have a ps3 and hardly ever use it. Just prefer the Xbox controller. 

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Village Idiot

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:35 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 29 January 2014 - 01:36 PM.

I think the ps3 triggers are horrible for racing games, don't like em for anything really

it's ok for shooters because you don't have to hold the trigger for extended periods of time

my fingers Always slip off because they're at an angle or something.

in any case those are my personal preferences and opinions on the matter

but where do you get the idea that more people on ps3 race and people on the 360 shoot?

are these figures stored publicly or something?

or are you just pulling them from your ass? XD

cuz I'd say you're whole theory is bogus, people do whatever they do for various reasons.

some logical and some downright stupid (like fanboys)

regardless I don't think there's any direct correlation between the controllers used and the game modes being played.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:01 PM Edited by mo-seph, 29 January 2014 - 02:03 PM.

I think the ps3 triggers are horrible for racing games, don't like em for anything really

it's ok for shooters because you don't have to hold the trigger for extended periods of time

my fingers Always slip off because they're at an angle or something.

in any case those are my personal preferences and opinions on the matter

but where do you get the idea that more people on ps3 race and people on the 360 shoot?

are these figures stored publicly or something?

or are you just pulling them from your ass? XD

cuz I'd say you're whole theory is bogus, people do whatever they do for various reasons.

some logical and some downright stupid (like fanboys)

regardless I don't think there's any direct correlation between the controllers used and the game modes being played.

well i did look extensively in my ass for an idea to pulll out...

but as i said in my first post, is it just me... indicating a subjective opinion.... its not a quantitative research paper after all, just a thought...

but my main rationale is

a) looking for racers on here seems to prompt more PS3 users than Xbox to respond... I could link a few threads that demonstrate this...

b) Xbox users seem to respond more actively to shooting based threads (free-aim debate, KDR threads,)

C) my best mate is an Xbox FPS fan... im a PS3 racing fan.. we debate this alot as he doesnt get full race lobbies on GTA:O on xbox, whereas i tend to, yet he gets full DM ones and i tend not to...

d) while you raised the point i checked the top grossing games for each console.....granted its wiki but it kinda lends to my point

these are the Xbox Games Sales

GTAV

COD Black Ops

Minecraft

COD: MW2

Halo 3

Gears of War

Gears of War 2

these are Ps3 Games Sales

GTAV

Gran Turismo 5

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

God of War 3

COD: MW2

Uncharted 3

So based solely on sales... my hypothesis is pretty much correct in that FPS games sell better on Xbox than they do on Ps3,,, whereas Racing Based games gross more on Ps3 than Xbox...

maybe my ass has more hidden gems to be pulled out of it if you wana take a look fella :)

Back on point tho in GTA ive seen the same thing... there seem to be more racers on PS3 and less shooters, but more shooters on Xbox than PS3...

• Nitty Don likes this

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

PC master race.

But seriously, I got both consoles. I would be playing GTA on ps3 if it wasn't so loud now so it had to be on the 360 this time. Guess the hardware is way past its prime now, but OT I don't really think of it like that. By your logic then PC gamers would be less prone to FPS due to lack of triggers/heavy handling of a controller/etc...but we know that's not the case. Same for racing, etc.

I think it might be just the circles you run in :p

shootingallovertheplace
  • shootingallovertheplace

British Collective

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'm an Xbox player and currently addicted to F1 2010. I have no problems racing but my god, the D pad is shocking.

I used a PS3 controller last weekend and whilst I used to prefer it, I don't like the new R2 and L2 triggers.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

PC master race.

But seriously, I got both consoles. I would be playing GTA on ps3 if it wasn't so loud now so it had to be on the 360 this time. Guess the hardware is way past its prime now, but OT I don't really think of it like that. By your logic then PC gamers would be less prone to FPS due to lack of triggers/heavy handling of a controller/etc...but we know that's not the case. Same for racing, etc.

I think it might be just the circles you run in :p

true although the top grossing games for pc???

RPG... Sims, Sims2 and WoW are the top three best selling PC games...

personally i prefer FPS on PC to any console... mouse aim is deadly and even 10 years after i stopped PC gaming i still put my left hand on a keyboard over "wasd" even working PCs's for a decade and touch typing lol... sod conventional typing, im a gamer and i need to strafe...

as for the circles i run in thats exactly why i started this thread,,, maybe i should have mad it a poll

• StewNorth likes this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

You know there's a lot to be said about the target demographic in terms of consoles. We all know Japan is the land of Playstation and America is the land of Xbox and it's fairly well known that the Japanese like their games a little on the weird side while Americans like their shooters. In the middle are the racers that do exist on both. The Playstation does have a leg up on the racing fans though because of Grand Turismo although I'd argue that's only because they were first on the scene. Today I feel that Forza motorsports is the definitive racing game on consoles.

When I say I'm a huge fan of racing games I mean it quite literally. I've been playing games since I was 6 years old and I've been a racing game fan since Top Gear for the SNES but the game that REALLY made me a fanatic was Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix. From there it's unlikely you can name a racing game I haven't played. Back in the Super NES days and Playstation days I had some of the fastest lap times on earth when Ridge Racer was new and exciting lol.

I have large groups of friends on xbox live that love racing games too. In fact you can find me racing with them most nights on GTAO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users