Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did Niko ACTUALLY strike you as depressed?

42 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Yeah. I mean I like Dwayne, but he makes Niko seem like the happiest chap in the world. Now that's what I'd call depression.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

I'd agree Dwayne is more outwardly miserable, but I think Niko is just as depressed if not more so. I think Niko's just developed a better way to keep it hidden under the surface. Someone who comes out with a line like "you realise that the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul" isn't exactly brimming with optimism for humanity in general (OK, the context of the remark makes you understand it, but what he saw in the war clearly had a lasting effect on him, unsurprisingly so).

It might come across as over analysing, but I've always thought that his apparent cold blood sociopathy probably developed as his way of dealing with his depression - trying to become as emotionally detached as possible. At certain points in the story though his self defence mechanism fails and real thoughts come out. 

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

You, Drunken Cowboy and the Emrac guy are the only people who think of my jokes like that so I'll continue making jokes that look like "I'm trying too hard". Sorry if my jokes aren't your type but they seem to be many people's kinds so I won't stop. 

Nope, no one here likes your jokes. not just them.

NoaJM
  • NoaJM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Despite my contrary opinions of Niko being the most overrated GTA protagonist of all time, I think he's a more complex character than most. His depression didn't really strike me as much as some people would say - after all, Rockstar made the deliberate choice to have everything grimy and dark and contrast that darkness with GTA-style humour. I had more of a problem with the fact that his role in the story was just him bumbling along with domestic problems and jumping from every try-hard schmo who offered him money, which he always assumed that came with no strings attached.

To explain, I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the start. He's a new guy, he's in a new place, he's obviously seen some sh*t and tries to hide it from people with his smartass attitude. That, I can understand and connect with. But he's not very smart. He's just in denial. All the freakin' time. He goes with the flow, doesn't think about his consequences, does whatever he wants to make a quick buck and then wonders why people are turning against him when he hops to the next employer offering him a buck. It's very ironic that throughout the game he harps about loyalty and betrayal, but he's clearly not above jumping ship for money and answers. I consider him a very smart and deep guy, all things considering, but damn, he's not street smart.

Maybe with that, I'm missing the point that he's supposed to be a flawed character and that was the entire point of him, for him to be a pragmatic guy. Maybe I just went through the story expecting it to be like Vice City or San Andreas, where it was a 'rags-to-world-domination' sort of thing, which was a 'shoot myself in the foot' moment for me.

Either way, Niko is pretty true to my experiences with depression. He seems like this wise-cracking, really cool guy but there's a lot more than what's on the surface. So he wasn't too depressed at all. My problem with him is that I didn't find him street smart or genre savvy enough. But again, I don't know his past except that he fought in the war. He could be as naive as anyone else, but god damn he does a good job of hiding it.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

You, Drunken Cowboy and the Emrac guy are the only people who think of my jokes like that so I'll continue making jokes that look like "I'm trying too hard". Sorry if my jokes aren't your type but they seem to be many people's kinds so I won't stop. 

Nope, no one here likes your jokes. not just them.

Ohhh I'm sowwy did I hurt your feelings?  :(  :(  :(

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hurt my feelings? are you serious? :lol:  i guess this is another one of your failed "jokes"?

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hurt my feelings? are you serious? :lol:  i guess this is another one of your failed "jokes"?

:O The rudeness level is strong on this one. 

Theesef
  • Theesef

Bug Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Someone who says that Niko is depressed is either one of those typical GTA IV haters or a very superficial person.

Niko is someone who is disappointed by life and the world. After the war and after all he had to live through, he lands in a dark place full of crime and faces exactly those problems that he wanted to escape from all the time. It's necessary for his character to be a rather pessimistic and introverted person. But at the same time, he proves how strong and clearheaded he is, as he doesn't let his memories and feelings overcome - he doesn't give up and fights until the end. The fact that you feel a bit sorry for him during the entire story makes him, together with his glibly attitude and that special humour he has, a very likeable character.

• SonOfLiberty, Tycek and Casey_Cadaver like this

Casey_Cadaver
  • Casey_Cadaver

HHMC VP

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

From the start, before the game dropped, Rockstar mentioned that his character was going be different. He was coming to LC to get away from all the bad sh*t he'd seen. He only got involved with crime because he had no choice, if I remember correctly. His cousin lied about his living situation, and as soon he got off the boat he was let down. Then he was forced to do dirty work by more than a few crews, his girl ended up being an undercover agent, and people from his followed him all over the map from the start. So yeah he was probably the most depressed GTA character, but it was more real than someone like Michael. Rockstar said they wanted us to feel bad about hard choices we made in the game. Niko wasn't down with the life he fell into.

Honestly, I'm more let down by Michael's character than any of them. His wife is sleeping with one someone that can hardly be described as a man, his son is a fat sh*t that stirs up trouble more than he solves it, his daughter is turning into her mother.... these might be "first world problems" he goes through while living in a mansion, but I think it should have hit him more. And he should have left his wife to rot and get fat with the girly yoga chump.

I liked V's story, but not nearly as much as IV's. 

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Theesef
  • Theesef

Bug Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

[...] So yeah he was probably the most depressed GTA character, [...]

Although you are completely right with what you posted, I don't agree with this sentence. Niko wasn't depressed, he wasn't even sad. He was angry and had a touch of pessimism because of his past.

thesmileys
  • thesmileys

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:41 AM Edited by thesmileys, 03 February 2014 - 12:42 AM.

Nah, he's more of a down to business guy which is understandable, his sarcasm is amazing, he took the time to have fun with Bernie Crane and Roman, so, he's balanced between being serious and being giddy.

@DrunkenCowboy: Nice signature.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

if you were a guy that saw a bunch of kids tortured at war , or your unit completly decimated because of a traitor , i think you woudn't be extremely happy and positive .. Niko isn't depressed in IV , never had that feeling myself ..

I agree Niko has been through a lot it wouldn't be right for him to be jolly. 

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I wouldn't say that Niko was depressed more affected by what he saw in the war before he came to Liberty City. As someone else alluded too, Dwayne was the depressed one in the game if not the most depressed character in the GTA series. I still liked and felt sorry for him though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users