Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did Niko ACTUALLY strike you as depressed?

42 replies to this topic
Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

One of the main criticisms OF criticisms toward IV is that "Niko was always depressing/seeming depressed." 

Naturally, the whole undertone of IV was more serious, realistic, and fleshed out than V's, but Niko himself, he struck me as a semi-positive guy.

Other than his spiels on the war he'd maul over with Roman and Karen, he used neutral emotions and joked around a bit.

Did Niko "depress" any of you with his dialogue or demeanor? 

• Niobium likes this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

if you were a guy that saw a bunch of kids tortured at war , or your unit completly decimated because of a traitor , i think you woudn't be extremely happy and positive .. Niko isn't depressed in IV , never had that feeling myself ..

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

It annoys me when people say he cries and gets emotional as if he does it constantly like some wrist slashing emo. He's actually quite positive considering all he's been through. In most cutscenes he makes sarcastic jabs at other characters, but of course he shows a deeper side too.

So for me he's not really depressed/depressing. He has layers to his personality. He'll make light when he wants and shows his deeper feelings at the appropriate time.

• kvic, DonkeyEatingCheese, SiDiBooTs and 7 others like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

It annoys me when people say he cries and gets emotional as if he does it constantly like some wrist slashing emo. He's actually quite positive considering all he's been through. In most cutscenes he makes sarcastic jabs at other characters, but of course he shows a deeper side too.

So for me he's not really depressed/depressing. He has layers to his personality. He'll make light when he wants and shows his deeper feelings at the appropriate time.

Ohhhh, just wait till I have more free time. I'm doing a compilation of Niko reminding us how emotional he is :p

• MiamiViceCity and Captain Arthur like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

Can we snuggle up on the couch with the lights dimmed and candles lit whilst watching this compliation?

• kvic, DeafMetal, Captain Arthur and 2 others like this

Mick.
  • Mick.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

To me, Niko is one of rockstars most diverse characters. The storyline for IV had many layers to it, and that made me really appreciate the game. The whole back-plot for it and the mystery of the protagonist made the game want you to finish it. I didn't find that with V - probably because the plot was separated into three characters which gave less space for personal values of the characters. There has not been such character who brought so much emotion and integraty into a a Grand Theft Auto game.

As for Niko being depressed, I do agree he might have been. Not only had he seen slaughtering of young children, was the only to survive his group of troops at war and to top it all of, his good comrade being the one who caused it all, I am not one bit surprised he is depressed nor mentally disturbed. But he is optimistic, and he really has to be for the best of his family. Perhaps being mentally disturbed, created that sense of humour he created (even in the worst of situations). Niko made IV what it is - a masterpiece.
  • MiamiViceCity, kvic and Drunken Cowboy like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Can we snuggle up on the couch with the lights dimmed and candles lit whilst watching this compliation?

Are you the sensitive type who longs to be held by big, strong arms? I know I am.
  • gunziness, daliakiller and thatGuyyy like this

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:28 AM Edited by Peachrocks, 29 January 2014 - 09:31 AM.

Considering everything he's been through. No. He does not strike me as depressed.

Depression is overpowering and it's not always there and sometimes you have no idea who is and who isn't depressed. Niko's sarcastic lines and occasional friendly nature with Karen and Roman for example does not exempt him from depression.

What does make me believe he does not suffer from depression or that he does not strike me is depressed is how Niko handles his low moments. His sadness does not effectively paralyze him which is really what depression is.

So no, definitely not. What people refer to is the deeper sense of character, seriousness and struggle in the story and they don't like it and refer to it as Niko (and Johnny for that matter) as being emo, depressed, whatever generic tag you can throw on.

• Ermac likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Are you the sensitive type who longs to be held by big, strong arms? I know I am.
We have plenty of room on the couch. question is, is there any OTHER way we can pay for that pizza?
  • MiamiViceCity and Drunken Cowboy like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k your santa hats. they're too mainstream

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

depressed? not to me.

i did find him the most tragic character though, especially if you choose deal. he loses his cousin! when niko said, "roman, never hurt anyone..." that really shows that roman is innocent

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Ohhhh, just wait till I have more free time. I'm doing a compilation of Niko reminding us how emotional he is :p

You're his wife. You can lecture him about Niko being emotional whenever you like.  :p

Spoiler

Don't worry, guise. This image will be burned into your retina. 

OT: I have the same opinion of Niko as DM has. That he's too EMOTIONAL. 

• DeafMetal likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

depressed? not to me.

i did find him the most tragic character though, especially if you choose deal. he loses his cousin! when niko said, "roman, never hurt anyone..." that really shows that roman is innocent

Honestly, who the hell chose "Deal"? Even if you didn't know the outcome, it just doesn't seem like anyone would pass up revenge.

Though, Dimitri did make a more climactic final boss than Jimmy P.

Back on topic. if you're talking most tragic, I think that's a different discussion. Someone like Derrick, or especially Johnny K., who lost, like, f*cking EVERYTHING. (Ha, get it? "Lost"?) But he was more of a hostile individual. Niko can be tragic in his story, but his "depression"-ness is how he deals with it.

You're his wife. You can lecture him about Niko being emotional whenever you like.  :p

Spoiler

Don't worry, guise. This image will be burned into your retina. 

OT: I have the same opinion of Niko as DM has. That he's too EMOTIONAL. 

Deaf should get his neck checked out.

• MiamiViceCity and DeafMetal like this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

If you hear some of the stories he recounts particularly in "That Special Someone", "in some ways, it would have been better if I was buried along with the rest of them", he is depressed, blatantly.

Depression doesn't mean he's an emotional wreck in tears every five minutes. And given the context, its not really surprising.

• 02fishera, Staten and Drunken Cowboy like this

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

This post is pure gold. Congratulations my friend.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:51 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 29 January 2014 - 11:57 PM.

I would say to some extent, he is depressed. He can be excessively pessimistic and you can tell he carries around alot of baggage. But its understandable after what he's been through in his life. He's the most deep and complex character in the gta franchise. I loved everything about Niko. After all he's been through he keeps pushing forward, many people don't realize how hard being an immigrant is. You're placed in a new unfamiliar world with no one to talk to. You start feeling alone and unwanted. Its even worse when the place you're immigrating to is worse than the place you left, which in this case is Liberty City. Niko has shown how tough he is by not giving up despite all the bullsh*t he's been through

Imagine how depressing it'd be to leave a sh*thole to move to another country with high expectations (thanks to Roman) only to be disappointed that you're in a bigger sh*thole than the one you left. That would suck major balls

• MiamiViceCity likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

Niko feels more bitter than depressed to me. He has his lighter moments, but I don't think he'll ever be able to put his past behind him the way Bernie Crane did. Can't say I see him as a positive fellow.

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:11 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 30 January 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Hey! SonOfBitch! ( :p) This is intended for you:

Niko is depressed as hell, the loser. If there is anything I hate more than poor guys and cripples it is depressed guys. Let me tell you a secret. 

Do you know Johnny Klebitz, the leader of the Lost MC? He pretends to be positive and that he has a humor but he is depressed as hell and doesn't have a sense of humor. He's a loser too.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Oh, jeez really? You're trying to joke so hard that it's not even funny anymore. There is no point in any serious debate if people will be acting like this :whuh:

• Ermac, Scaglietti and Drunken Cowboy like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Niko is depressed as hell, the loser. If there is anything I hate more than poor guys and cripples it is depressed guys. Let me tell you a secret. 

Do you know Johnny Klebitz, the leader of the Lost MC? He pretends to be positive and that he has a humor but he is depressed as hell and doesn't have a sense of humor. He's a loser too.

gta 5 fan: IT'S FLAME WAR TIME!
drunken cowboy, the OP of this thread: NO GTA 5 FAN NOOO!

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:43 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 30 January 2014 - 07:21 PM.

gta 5 fan: IT'S FLAME WAR TIME!
drunken cowboy, the OP of this thread: NO GTA 5 FAN NOOO!

Nobum62: I can't ignore a post that wasn't intended for me and still, it's just a joke but I can't take it.  :(  :(  :(

I don't know why people on the V and IV section can't take a damn joke. You probably replied to my post because I said Johnny was a loser, right? Well, I need to tell you, it. Is. A. Joke. 

Oh, jeez really? You're trying to joke so hard that it's not even funny anymore. There is no point in any serious debate if people will be acting like this  :whuh:

Well, sooory that it looked at you that way. It's just that you people are so damned serious that I just wanna lighten up your moods. If I was "Trying so hard" then I'm sorry. I'm guessing you have more than enough "serious debates" on here. 

Sorry if I'm sounding rude but I'm willing to bet that if I was SOL, you wouldn't have replied to me that way. Also, if you don't like my jokes, then don't respond to them. I see many jokes that aren't funny but I just ignore them, I don't reply to them and say "Man, your jokes are sh*t. I don't like them". If I am sounding like I took your post too harshly then I guess I am. A simple "Sorry man but I don't like your joke, try to improve." would be better. Jeez, and people in that post where I got my warning said I was too rude. 

You, Drunken Cowboy and the Emrac guy are the only people who think of my jokes like that so I'll continue making jokes that look like "I'm trying too hard". Sorry if my jokes aren't your type but they seem to be many people's kinds so I won't stop. 

BMW1992
  • BMW1992

GTAForums member since Jan 2005

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Niko's a badass, look what he did to Faustin, Vlad, etc.

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

I couldn't tell if that was a joke. calling niko and johnny losers sounded like flamebaiting to me.
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

I couldn't tell if that was a joke. calling niko and johnny losers sounded like flamebaiting to me.

If you played IV again or still remember the mission, then you'd know that that was the mission where we kill French Tom. Except the only difference is that I changed the names of the characters mentioned. That's why I said that was intended for SOL.

Ermac
  • Ermac

Conrad Tokyo

• The Yakuza
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:28 PM Edited by Ermac., 30 January 2014 - 07:33 PM.

I love jokes, even the ones that aren't funny. The problem comes with repetition and moderation. When every other post of yours is poking fun at SOL or bashing IV, it loses it's humor and just becomes annoying.

Anyway, back on topic. Niko never struck me as depressed during the game except in those pivotal moments (Uncle Vlad, Rigged to Blow, That Special Someone, Mr. & Mrs. Bellic, etc.). He's definitely seen and done some sh*t, but for the most part he keeps it bottled in and veil'd via sarcasm and quips. That's one of the reasons why he's my favorite protagonists in the series, because I can relate somewhat.

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

I love jokes, even the ones that aren't funny. The problem comes with repetition and moderation. When every other post of yours is poking fun at SOL or bashing IV, it loses it's humor and just becomes annoying.

Yeah? Even he makes repetitive jokes about him and DM nowadays. I don't see you telling him that his jokes become annoying. 

Ermac
  • Ermac

Conrad Tokyo

• The Yakuza
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

The problem comes with repetition and moderation.

Yeah? Even he makes repetitive jokes about him and DM nowadays. I don't see you telling him that his jokes become annoying. 

Not going to dwell on this any further as it's derailing the topic. 

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:06 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 30 January 2014 - 09:07 PM.

Sorry, this'll be the last post of mine that'll be off-topic.

The problem comes with repetition and moderation.

Not going to dwell on this any further as it's derailing the topic. 

Let me get this clear, you're asking me to stop with the SOL jokes......... Not happening. Sorry, but if you find me annoying then just put me on the ignore list. Not that hard.

No, I wasn't. I could tell you people who are TLAD fans to stay in the TLAD section and not come in V's but I didn't (except once which was when I got warned and that was the reason why SOL got stuck with me). Drunken Cowboy also told me to go to the V section and called me a fanboy. Just saying.

And if I really wanted to flamebait then I would just say a mindless post like "Fu*k johnny, IV sucks." or I would've said that in the Gta IV better than V thread or in the Liberty City appreciation thread. 

Sorry again, this'll be the last off-topic post. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

The only time I remember Niko being overly depressed was when *spoiler-alert* Kate or Roman died. Other than that, no. People have just over-exaggerated as they usually do with anything related to IV

The depressing exaggeration blows me off the most. First of all, it is NYC in the fall. It is gonna be gloomy, what did you expect? And Niko? He is serious, not depressed... hell he isn't even depressing. He is almost optimistic like his cousin Roman.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Vlad: Oh, that's funny. You know, for a damn yokel you're a very funny guy.

Niko: Yes and for an annoying dick, you really are an annoying dick.

Depressed? No. He still has a sense of humor. He never really struck me as depressed but he was certainly more emotional than other GTA characters. 

Still I'd rather have a depressed guy as a protagonist than a whiny, annoying, pussy like CJ.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Shum Shum, Schlippity Dup.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:54 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 31 January 2014 - 02:54 PM.

I liked Niko a lot. Out of all of the protags I've played with in GTA, he has the deepest story, and his reason for being the criminal life is very clear; it's all he's good at. It's a real shame that he ended up getting dull missions though... there was so much potential with him as a character.

For somebody who fought in the Yugoslavian War, he was a pretty funny dude. && that accent tho.

He wasn't that depressing... now Dwayne, that dude epitomized the definition of depression. Haha, I wish I could have killed him and Playboy right there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users