Photo

Why do peds hate you in this game?

90 replies to this topic
Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

The only explanation i have for this is that the peds can actually see the weapon arsenal you carry with you. No other explanation.

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

Tim Roth has an alien skull for a forehead.

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

These people are extremely sheltered, stuck up, and consider anybody that isn't rich a worthless criminal.

Welcome to Los Santos.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Tenxax: That's not true. The Libertonians do recognise Niko's existence. When you bump into them (Can't even do this in GTA V because there's an invisible barrier between the peds and the player for some reason) some of them will react aggressively and others wont. Hell even on foot cops will say things about Niko when he walks by them.

Also what do you mean they don't talk to each other? I mean yeah the conversations are fairly generic, but they do converse. I have no idea what you're talking about. How long has it been since you've actually played GTA IV?

In saying that I just find the Libertonians to be better. The peds in LS piss me off as they're too sensitive which is why I said I find on foot exploration to be quite unpleasant and somewhat frustrating as they lose their sh*t for the slightest thing.

I love on foot exploration in LC because the Libertonians don't throw a hissy fit for stupid, mundane reasons and send the whole LCPD after you.

• thatGuyyy likes this

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

Li'l G Loc

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

This game is one big clusterf*ck of lazy programming.

If you use R1 to handbrake the phone calls won't mess you up.

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

Tenxax: That's not true. The Libertonians do recognise Niko's existence. When you bump into them (Can't even do this in GTA V because there's an invisible barrier between the peds and the player for some reason) some of them will react aggressively and others wont. Hell even on foot cops will say things about Niko when he walks by them.

Also what do you mean they don't talk to each other? I mean yeah the conversations are fairly generic, but they do converse. I have no idea what you're talking about. How long has it been since you've actually played GTA IV?

In saying that I just find the Libertonians to be better. The peds in LS piss me off as they're too sensitive which is I said I find on foot exploration to be quite unpleasant and somewhat frustrating as they lose their sh*t for the slightest thing.

I love on foot exploration in LC because the Libertonians don't throw a hissy fit for stupid, mundane reasons and send the whole LCPD after you.

Well come on, you don't think the citizens of LA are WAY more sensitive than the citizens of NYC? We're way harder on the East Coast. Between the weather we put up with and the assholes we deal with daily? We don't have all this "yoga loving, humanitarian, hobo cuddling, house music listening, vegan lifestyle, don't snort coke, weed is so much more healthy, I carry my dog in my purse" bullsh*t. If you want a direct analogy, LA is baseball, NYC is hockey. And I'm talking '74-'76 Philly Flyers hockey.

• SonOfLiberty and Cutter De Blanc like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

I played IV yesterday, pedestrians talk to themselves, Not to the ones infront of them, they might do some animation but thats just that.

Also every pedestrian makes a comment about Trevor, and if you talk to them they'll kindly greet you or entable a conversation if you aren't that near them. EVERYONE Makes a comment about him, even cops, firefighters, paramedics, gang bangers, corporate moguls, everyone.

Also do you seriously spect somebody in real life to trip and fall by just softly walking into them?

And I think you're being a little bit biased here, I had been able to walk freely around the whole town on foot and get into several conversations with random people, none of them called the cops. If one did then they would warn me first, others would just walk away scared and others might fight with you themselves, plus if they do actually take out their phones then aim at them! They'll be really sh*tscared to the point where they would drop the phone and go off running.

• I Am NADA likes this

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

A white lady once called the cops on me while I was playing as Franklin just for saying "hi" to her. Then I proceeded to get 2 stars because I "resisted arrest" leading to me getting shot at by cops and eventually dying. The system (no matter how realistic some claim it to be) is just plain stupid. You can't just walk around or stand in an area without someone calling the cops on your ass. 

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

A white lady once called the cops on me while I was playing as Franklin just for saying "hi" to her. Then I proceeded to get 2 stars because I "resisted arrest" leading to me getting shot at by cops and eventually dying. The system (no matter how realistic some claim it to be) is just plain stupid. You can't just walk around or stand in an area without someone calling the cops on your ass. 

I have literally NEVER had this happen. And I leave my characters just standing in a fixed spot for quite awhile (I turn my xbox on and load the game but don't watch it load, I switch back to tv and watch for long enough to get distracted, then when I finally switch back the camera is doing that "zoom in and pan around" nonsense, and has been for like 10 mins). Still, no cops, no complaining citizens.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Again Tenxax I still don't know what you're talking about. I'll admit the conversations in GTA IV are basic and generic, but they do in fact talk to eachother. Not to themselves like you say.

Maybe I am biased, but then again so are you. You do it every time someone makes a thread like this, but you should watch the video that's been posted and it'll hightlight just how flawed the A.I is in GTA V. Sometimes being worse than GTA IV.

Speaking of which it was a fair point about brought up about the lack of patrolling cops. They either chase people in cars or standout outside of a station. That's it. Don't cops drive around in LA patrolling the streets?

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

a.k.a: BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

Lol i can imagine a thread like this for Next-Gen GTAs or GTA 6,"Why are NPCs talking to me,it so freaky" Lol,
the irony in these threads.I-T J-U-S-T T-I-R-I-N-G.
Atleast with the Right D-pad we can interact with the NPCs and some of them are Open minded,which makes it
realistic.Or OP wants the NPCs to be dumb? Lol.

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

The rednecks who chase me on country roads and ask to see my id and then try to kill me were funny at first but they keep coming back.

Those aren't pedestrians, per se; they're a random encounter. 

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:44 AM Edited by I Am NADA, 29 January 2014 - 02:46 AM.

Again Tenxax I still don't know what you're talking about. I'll admit the conversations in GTA IV are basic and generic, but they do in fact talk to eachother. Not to themselves like you say.

Maybe I am biased, but then again so are you. You do it every time someone makes a thread like this, but you should watch the video that's been posted and it'll hightlight just how flawed the A.I is in GTA V. Sometimes being worse than GTA IV.

The "conversations" in all Rockstar games that have them are "basic and generic". Broads telling you things like "I hate to see a man with such a dry pecker" in RDR, is just like, a knee jerk reaction the prostitute NPCs have. It's all just a facade Rockstar has created to try and make the game world feel more alive. And to be honest, it's not a bad crack at it. I mean, do you remember the NPCs in the PS2 era being so vocal? We're not at a place, technologically speaking, where people are going to have conversations amongst themselves that seem believeable if you actually stop and listen. So what Rockstar has accomplished with GTA IV AND V is impressive to me.

Edit: This isn't directed at you, SonofLiberty, I just used your post as a jumping off point.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:45 AM Edited by Mr Oraange, 29 January 2014 - 02:54 AM.

Speaking of which it was a fair point about brought up about the lack of patrolling cops. They either chase people in cars or standout outside of a station. That's it. Don't cops drive around in LA patrolling the streets?

Check out Logan Square (is that what it's called?) and Textile City. 

I've seen two patrol cars driving by without chasing anybody, and a pair of officers telling some bums to get up.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

a.k.a: BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:57 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 January 2014 - 02:59 AM.

The "conversations" in all Rockstar games that have them are "basic and generic". Broads telling you things like "I hate to see a man with such a dry pecker" in RDR, is just like, a knee jerk reaction the prostitute NPCs have. It's all just a facade Rockstar has created to try and make the game world feel more alive. And to be honest, it's not a bad crack at it. I mean, do you remember the NPCs in the PS2 era being so vocal? We're not at a place, technologically speaking, where people are going to have conversations amongst themselves that seem believeable if you actually stop and listen. So what Rockstar has accomplished with GTA IV AND V is impressive to me.

Edit: This isn't directed at you, SonofLiberty, I just used your post as a jumping off point.
Great Comment bro.The HD Era GTA games are Phenomenal Additions to this Legendary Franchise.Technologically and in terms of Innovation.if you watch the Evolution of GTA from 2D (1997) till HD (Present Day) it just mindboggling how are Great Franchise had a little begining and 16 years later it a Landmark and Icon Franchise in the Gaming Industry.and it just the begining,with next-gen GTA would be something else in terms of Incredibility.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:58 AM Edited by Tenxax, 29 January 2014 - 03:00 AM.

There was generic conversation, but they didn't actually speak to anybody. They would be facing eachother aswell but they wouldn't directly talk to teach other. Also I am not talking about them having to be funny, there are generic conversations in V but pedestrians do react to it and tend to agree or disagree.

Plus Cops in the game do patrol certain Areas such as the Airport and Mission Row, you're comparing LA to NY, NY has triple the Law Enforcement than LA has.

So LA instead of patrolling on foot will patrol in important locations rather than being around every corner.

Oh and if you have a video then show me.

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Great Comment bro.The HD Era GTA games are Phenomenal Additions to this Legendary Franchise.Technologically and in terms of Innovation.if you watch the Evolution of GTA from 2D (1997) till HD (Present Day) it just mindboggling how are Great Franchise had a little begining and 16 years later it a Landmark and Icon Franchise in the Gaming Industry.and it just the begining,with next-gen GTA would be something else in terms of Incredibility.

Thank you kindly, sir.

And to be honest, would any of us rather hear "I am king Cubano, meng!" a million times, or some SOMEWHAT unbelieveable conversations?

Oh and if you have a video then show me.

I honestly don't know if this is directed at me or not, but, if it is to me, what am I supposed to be posting a video of?

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

I am talking to Sol, you don't have to worry 'bout nothing.

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

I am talking to Sol, you don't have to worry 'bout nothing.

My bad. Ignore me, I have nothing of consequence to say.

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

I have literally NEVER had this happen. And I leave my characters just standing in a fixed spot for quite awhile (I turn my xbox on and load the game but don't watch it load, I switch back to tv and watch for long enough to get distracted, then when I finally switch back the camera is doing that "zoom in and pan around" nonsense, and has been for like 10 mins). Still, no cops, no complaining citizens.

Weird, has happened to me about 3 - 4 times. 

meyersry
  • meyersry

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Seems whenever I crash into something and the peds see it, I hear one of the following things

"This is a joke!"

"You kidding!"

"Woooooooow!"

"We're going to hell!"

"Oh sh!t!"

• Bonnano and I Am NADA like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

The video I'm talking about is on the previous page.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

That video is mostly nitpicking. Its not even serious and it tends to look at stuff that would be easily forgettable because of limiations.

The whole car turning thing is pretty much a retarded complaint. It is mostly a retarded video when you look at it and you actually go to play the game. There are some true things in there but the other is just PURELY nitpicking. I mean how a car is not going to turn to the side when its not even seeing you because you're going fast as Flash!

We really need a good video about the whole thing instead of a bitch rant on the whole ordeal. I won't take that video as valid evidence.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

It is actually realistic that way.

Really?! Is it? ...because peds have no problem with any other pedestrian standing next to them. Its a greatly over-exaggerated feature.

I'm not exactly sure why R* added that. There are so many normal things you can do in this game that will either freak NPCs out or have the cops after you.  

• SonOfLiberty likes this

xenorama
  • xenorama

Go Commando!

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

This bloke really needs to get a life :/. I understand posting in a forum, but making a 30 minute video to express your hatred on the AI of a video game? He mustn't of had anything better to do. 

Also, dat nitpicking. 

LOL, exactly. 35 minutes of "This game isn't absolutely flawless. I AM BETRAYED!!!"

• Bonnano likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:17 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 29 January 2014 - 06:21 AM.

It is actually realistic that way.

Really?! Is it? ...because peds have no problem with any other pedestrian standing next to them. Its a greatly over-exaggerated feature.

I'm not exactly sure why R* added that. There are so many normal things you can do in this game that will either freak NPCs out or have the cops after you.  

Exactly. Peds start walking/running away from you even if you stand 10ft away from them, its bullsh*t. My main problem with this game's AI is this

-Cops rarely patrol in vehicles, when you do see them they're always in a chase

-The invisible shield around peds that makes it really hard to knock them over, IV's system was much more realistic and fluid

-You automatically get stars if you kill someone even though no one see's you

-If you call 911 cops don't stop and get out of their cars like in IV, they just speed by. Like wtf is the point of that?

-Cops are over aggressive pieces of sh*t

-Gangsters pull a gun on you for minor sh*t

-You get stars for EVERYTHING

-Super robocops that can smell you from miles away when you're hiding, its like I have a lspd tracker on me

And LOL @ the person above who said peds in V have actual conversations. I was standing next to a group of girls and all they said was "whatever" about 10x in a row before I accidentally scared them off. Seems like R* is trying to force you to play legally with all the overaggressive cops and yoga bullsh*t

• SonOfLiberty and A-Wax8 like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Trick

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Say what you want about the guy who made the video but it shows how watered down and sh*tty the ai is in this game. I even think SA was better at this, seriously its just f*cked up.
And whoever defends the game in those aspects should feel bad.
  • Woll Smoth likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:29 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 29 January 2014 - 07:29 AM.

Say what you want about the guy who made the video but it shows how watered down and sh*tty the ai is in this game. I even think SA was better at this, seriously its just f*cked up.
And whoever defends the game in those aspects should feel bad.

If the bad AI was a result of system limitations then they should have decreased the map size or removed useless activities like yoga. I would have much preferred a smaller map if it meant we had a better AI system that created immersive gameplay. Most of the map was dry wasteland anyway

• SonOfLiberty, im_stoned and Woll Smoth like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Honestly I was oblivious to GTA V when it was new in those first few weeks, but the more I played the more I started noticing its flaws. I don't think anyone expects GTA V to be perfect, but we expect better than what we have.

GTA IV's A.I wasn't flawless either, but most of it can be put down to age and being the first open world game R* had made on the 7th generation consoles. The A.I issues in GTA V to me don't seem to be because of limitations, but sloppy programming/design.

Of course I'm not saying I can do better, but I do think R* put so much effort into the way the game looks/map size these other aspects have taken a hit in the quality department.

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

I was playing as Michael.  I flew over the golf course and got rat-f*cked by Homeland Securi...um, er, uh...NOOSE.  Switched to Franklin.  I put on my Uptown Riders threads and rode my Western Bagger over to the Lost MC bar.  I mean, their president was tight with the Uptown Riders last I checked - you know - until Trevor turned his head into a boot pancake.  They killed me quicker than if I'd rode into a KKK rally.  But if I walk around Grove Street with my greens on, I get left alone for as long as I'm not standing directly next to any Ballas.  Switched to Trevor.  Was going around knocking down real estate signs for that one guy.  I take a breather, walk around this corner.  Some fat lady buries her ugly nose in a smartphone and says "I'm calling the police."  Soon as her thumbs start gliding across the touchscreen I hammer my fist into the back of her head from the front.  At that point, never in all my life of playing video games have I wished there was a rape button because that bitch deserved it.  Online is even worse.  I get cops after me for just driving my own car down the street.  I've stolen a car, evaded the cops, lost the wanted level, and then picked it up again.  Okay, now that is double jeopardy.  That sh*t's illegal.  I mean, not that the real LAPD gives a sh*t about the law when they go around enforcing it, but, you know.

I know I couldn't do any better at AI programming though, so don't take this as a complaint.  This is just something I hope that DLC addresses.  God knows it'll bring its own can of worms

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Somebody nexts to record a video so all this bullsh*t can stop once and for all. Nobody here is right neither nobody here is wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users