Do you speak more then one language.

162 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:24 PM Edited by AceKingston, 28 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

Du bist sehr warm.

Asche Zu Asche.

E: OT: I speak two languages. Tamil and English. I know a bit of French though.

A Northern German
  • A Northern German

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:41 PM Edited by Preusse, 28 January 2014 - 05:41 PM.

OT: They say dutch is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Never heard that. At least to me as a German it seems not hard to learn. The reason is probably that German and Dutch are closely related and that I'm familiar with Low Saxon, which is even closer related to Dutch. And to a Dutch it's not very hard to learn German, right?

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:58 PM Edited by Dutch Psycho, 28 January 2014 - 05:59 PM.

OT: They say dutch is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Never heard that. At least to me as a German it seems not hard to learn. The reason is probably that German and Dutch are closely related and that I'm familiar with Low Saxon, which is even closer related to Dutch. And to a Dutch it's not very hard to learn German, right?
It's not very hard if you wanna learn but still it's not easy. Many words look like dutch words but its a very different language. Also its hard sometimes when to use keywords like die,der und das.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yes, two. Estonian and English. I can understand Finnish quite well when it is written down too. Just to point out to some if you can't speak the language comfortably at conversation level then you can't speak it.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:13 PM Edited by Andreas, 28 January 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Yeah, I speak two languages, the first being German, which is my native language, and the second being English. I have excellent skills in the former one, in fact I'm the best student in this subject in my class. And I have some good skills with the latter as well, especially considering how horrible I used to be at it when I joined the forum, but there's certainly room for improvement.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I'd really like to learn German. Do you think I could do it by joining a German forum and posting at first using google translate or would I be insulted and driven off the forum?

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:20 PM Edited by Andreas, 28 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

Oh, don't even try using Google Translator, this won't go anywhere. German is such a different language, it'd be impossible to understand you unless you have enough experience with it to translate it phrase for phrase. There are two grammatical cases in English, whereas German has four grammatical cases. That's the biggest difference of these two languages, and there are plenty more.
  • theadmiral likes this

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

@andreas can you give an example of the 4 grammatical cases? I remember on school that it's hard to seperate those.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

German is slightly difficult to learn but it isn't too hard. I have the luck of learning it now in high school. It was fun learning it last year because we were very interactive. This year we have a new and subpar teacher who isn't very creative at teaching at all, so learning has become boring and more difficult.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Well how in the world would I learn German then? I guess I would have to buy a used textbook or something!

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by Andreas, 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

@andreas can you give an example of the 4 grammatical cases? I remember on school that it's hard to seperate those.

1. case: Wer? Was?; in English: Who? or What?
2. case: Wessen?; in English: Whose?
3. case: Wem?; in English: Whom?
4. case: Wen? Was?; in English: Who or What?

I'm not sure if the third grammatical case can be used the same way in both languages, but I know there isn't an accurate translation for the forth case.

Here is one practical example per grammatical case;
1. case: Der Astronaut steigt ins Raumschiff ein. Translated: The austronaut enters the spaceship.
2. case: Die Sicherheit des Astronauten wird überwacht. Translated: The security of the astronaut is monitored.
3. case: Dem Astronauten wird ein Handbuch mitgegeben. Translated: The astronaut will be given a manual.
4. case: Das Personal überprüft den Astronauten. Translated: The staff checks the astronaut. (or something similar to this)

Well how in the world would I learn German then? I guess I would have to buy a used textbook or something!

That would be a good start, at least. Though, you will need someone who has experience with the language, so a teacher would be optimal.

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Well, maybe Hitler would be resurrected. You can ask him to teach you. He's such a nice fella. 

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

proud "conspiracy theorist"

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by Stephan90, 28 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

@ theadmiral, google translate may help you with the single words and maybe the most basic and shortest sentences. In additon to that, there are many words that have more than one translation depending on the context.

@ Stingray, did you ever try video games, songs on youtube, movies or tv shows with in German/English with English/German subtitles? That's a pretty good way to expand your vocabulary if you understand the basic grammar already

• Andreas and Scaglietti like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Well, I think we should make a "German" off topic thread here like we have for Australians where we can all talk in German so that way we can all practice and socialize with each other.

• lazy. likes this

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:03 PM Edited by Stephan90, 28 January 2014 - 07:05 PM.

4. case: Das Personal überprüft den Astronauten. Translated: The staff checked the astronaut. (or something similar to this)

There is a little mistake with the tense. "The staff checks/is checking the astronaut." (translation depends on the context)

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, I speak two languages, the first being German, which is my native language, and the second being English. I have excellent skills in the former one, in fact I'm the best student in this subject in my class. And I have some good skills with the latter as well, especially considering how horrible I used to be at it when I joined the forum, but there's certainly room for improvement.

Yeah. I remember when you were called CJ Carl Johnsons Brother Brian. 

Well, I think we should make a "German" off topic thread here like we have for Australians where we can all talk in German so that way we can all practice and socialize with each other.

Nah, I still recommend daily teaching from Hitler. 

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM Edited by Stephan90, 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

Yeah. I remember when you were called CJ Carl Johnsons Brother Brian. 

Nah, I still recommend daily teaching from Hitler. 

If you understand the whole video, you will get your diploma.

• Andreas likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I don't think you are allowed to make such a topic since this is an English forum. There is a topic for Australians, but the difference is that they speak English, so it isn't really a problem in that case.

There is a little mistake with the tense. "The staff checks/is checking the astronaut." (translation depends on the context)

Oh yeah, confused present tense with past tense. Fixed it.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

@andreas the second and fourth cases you mentioned are very confusing but i get it. Thnx for explaining though.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

@ theadmiral, google translate may help you with the single words and maybe the most basic and shortest sentences. In additon to that, there are many words that have more than one translation depending on the context.

@ Stingray, did you ever try video games, songs on youtube, movies or tv shows with in German/English with English/German subtitles? That's a pretty good way to expand your vocabulary if you understand the basic grammar already

Well I watched Van Helsing in German last year, haha. I find it easy to memorize most German words and know what they mean. The class isn't hard itself, the teacher is just... difficult. He is such an ass and explains every little thing in the oddest ways.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:49 PM Edited by Stephan90, 28 January 2014 - 08:00 PM.

@andreas the second and fourth cases you mentioned are very confusing but i get it. Thnx for explaining though.

The second case in the second example is expressed by "des Austronauten" and the fourth case in the fourth example is expressed by "den Austronauten". But you need the rest of the words to make it a full sentence. Both example sentences start with the first case.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I speak 32, but of the two I speak English more fluently. ;)

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

The second case in the second example is expressed by "des Austronauten" and the fourth case in the fourth example is expressed by "den Austronauten". But you need the rest of the words to make it a full sentence. Both example sentences start with the first case.

Right, i have to make copy of that post to remember it ;)

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

English and Dutch I can speak fluently, German I can understand pretty well and I can get by in speaking it, I can understand French decently but can't speak it well, and I know a little bit of Spanish.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I speak fluent English, and I know a little Polish and Turkish, not enough to hold a lengthy conversation, but enough to get me by when I've visited both countries.

MarshalMoo
  • MarshalMoo

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Can someone please tell me what these guys are talking about? KuhTube:

http://www.mykuhtube...eis-wesermunde/

• theadmiral likes this

kk.
  • kk.

So long, and thanks for all the fish

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

I can speak my native language (lithuanian) and english fluently. I'm also learning russian in school, but it's kinda hard.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:17 PM Edited by Stephan90, 29 January 2014 - 07:17 PM.

In the first video (top left corner) he says that he is taking a trial from the silo (it's for cow feed) and he says that he wants to take it to the laboratory to test it for its protein content and stuff like that. The video below is about how they put all the liquid manure on their field. Basically, he talks about the work on his organic farm in all the videos.

Why you do you want to know that? Are you a farmer?

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

I speak Romanian since I was borned, Spanish since 2004 and English since I play videogames.

MarshalMoo
  • MarshalMoo

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:16 PM Edited by JIMHO, 29 January 2014 - 08:17 PM.

In the first video (top left corner) he says that he is taking a trial from the silo (it's for cow feed) and he says that he wants to take it to the laboratory to test it for its protein content and stuff like that. The video below is about how they put all the liquid manure on their field. Basically, he talks about the work on his organic farm in all the videos.

Why you do you want to know that? Are you a farmer?

I am, thanks. What kind of liquid manure is it? Fish? Surely it isn't anhydrous ammonia if he's certified organic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users