51 replies to this topic
Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:17 PM Edited by Svip, 02 February 2014 - 08:26 PM.

When I became a full time employee last May, I decided it was finally time to own a car.  Driving in my parents' car(s) had been problematic, mostly because they live over 1,000 km away.  And having your own wheels?  That's freedom.

But because I didn't actually need a car, I decided I could go for something less sensible than you normally would.  I spent some times looking at different cars, until some Frenchman suggested the Citroën DS.  Oh and it was love at first sight.  I knew at that moment I had to get that car.

Fortunately one was for sale here in Denmark, in great condition, as the previous owner's hobby was primarily fixing up old cars.  And he had just gotten an 1956 Citroën DS and a Citroën SM.  So he was running out of space.  He wasn't completely pleased with selling this car, but I promised him he would get the opportunity to see it again.

ytecQX1.jpg

Funny thing is; this car is original from France (good tip by the way; don't buy vintage cars from Nordic countries as they will likely be full of rust), but was imported to Denmark in about 1999.  However, at that time, the car couldn't drive.  So it went from owner to owner in Denmark, trying to fix it until the previous owner did.  I have no doubt in my mind that he sold it for a higher price than he bought it, but considering what he has done to it; it was worth it and quite below what you'd expect for a DS of this type in this condition.

9X3Rocd.jpg

Which was also why I had to move fast, as it had become quite sought after, due to the excellent price.  Unfortunately for the others, they remained too sceptical, and thus too slow to act.  Which was fortunate for me.

WLlzh2J.jpg

I immediately had a mechanic (Denmark's foremost DS expert) look at the car, and he said the car was in great condition.  Minor issues included a noise gearbox and incorrect carpeting.  While the main problem was the steering rack, although the seller had told me that was a problem.

PhVPj5B.jpg

Still, it needs plates (black plates) and the steering rack replaced, so it won't be until spring I get to ride it again.

• El Diablo, epoxi, Slave Boy and 6 others like this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

Yes, I crossed my old man back in Oregon.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

I think you officially own the sexiest car on here

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Funny thing is; this car is original from France (good tip by the way; don't buy vintage cars from Nordic countries as they will likely be full of rust)

Thats a great advise I learnt a few years ago.

3 cars I'd love to get some day is Fiat 500, Citroën 2CV and a VW Beetle..It's somewhat impossible to find any of these cars in Sweden, just like the quote says, they are all to rusty.

Anyways, You got your self a fantastic car, take good care of it man!

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:54 PM Edited by Lurch, 27 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

Despite the horrible ugly color, it is still one of the best looking cars I've seen on here. The euro headlamp covers really do make the front end. A shame that US cars didn't originally have them. They're still getting more popular over here though. 

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

I suppose brown is a love or hate colour.  But you really cannot get more 1970s than that!

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I actually really like the colour, especially with the sunrise reflecting off it like that.

I assume you have a garage to keep it in right?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yes.  Well, I am renting secured parking space in a locked car park building.  Particularly concrete is good to keep the car dry during winter.

• epoxi likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Man, there is really no accounting for taste, is there? The only way you'd get me to ride in one of these is by hitting me over the head with a tire iron and stashing me in the trunk. Even then, I think I'd rather be dragged behind it, if these are my only options.

I guess, I'm happy you found the car you like, but it's not something I'm going to be able to understand.

On the more objective, and maybe useful note, expect all sorts of gremlins in the electrical. Though, the only place that's likely to trouble you is with the ignition, and hopefully, the previous owner looked after that bit. And also, keep an eye on the fuel system. If the car has been sitting for a long time, even if it has undergone a major rebuild, if it didn't get much road time after that, there is bound to be all sort of sediment accumulated there. This isn't as big of a problem as it is with an injector engine, but cleaning out a carburetor is not much fun either.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:06 PM Edited by Illousion, 27 January 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Friggin awesome car man. I dig the brown color. Are you going to be daily driving it?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Friggin awesome car man. I dig the brown color. Are you going to be daily driving it?

Nah.  I don't need a car to get to work anyway.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

I always loved the older french cars as their designers really knew how to combine love with mechanics. I doubt you can find anything more french and unusual then Citroen DS. Take care of this beauty as not much of them is still with us. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ô

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

I wouldn't be caught dead with a vehicle painted any shade of brown, but the old Pallas are gorgeous none the less.

that's legit gangster, my friend.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

I could not have come up with a more perfect car for an eccentric personality such as yourself. It's so in tune with the persona of "Svip", at least from back in the Scorp days. 

Bravo!

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Oh, this has been a tough winter.  I picked up the car 22 November, and drove it around until 25 November, when I had to put it away for winter and wait for a long of things to work out: Registration, importation fee, number plates, insurance and all that.

Now only one thing remains: The steering rack.  It will have to be replaced before I take it on the road again.  The seller did tell me about this, so it wasn't a nasty surprise or anything.

However, that will be solved next week, and the weekend 22-23 March will be when I get to drive it again.  I am overly excited.

So here are some few more pictures:

OokwMXh.jpg

AAEChQ9.jpg

onXJgv4.jpg

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

It looks so clean! What an absolute gem you have, Svip. 

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Nice ride. I've seen this model on Wheeler Dealers and liked it.  :^:

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thank you.  Although, it has gotten slightly dirty from dust over the winter.  But a water hose should take care of that.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

I spent a lot of time in France when i was growing up (in the 1980s) and I love these cars! They are getting rarer these days and you are really lucky to have got such a nice looking one. I think this one is fantastic, great color combination. great shape. A contender for gtaforums car of the year!!

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

In my honest Opinion, That car is Fuglier than all Hell, But it's in Amazing Condition, For cars that old, It's not a very common sight.

Think you can take some pics of the Underside? Get a good idea how clean this car is?

36Chambers
  • 36Chambers

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

That's an awesome ride, man. I remember when I was younger my neighbors had one of these Citroens and I was simply blown away at how it looked. Of course at the time I was not aware of exactly what I was looking at, but the car just screamed elegance. Especially when parked alongside the ubiquitous Honda Accord that plagues my neighborhood. Here (in Washington state) I wouldn't imagine there being more than a small handful still on the road.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:10 AM Edited by Svip, 12 March 2014 - 07:11 AM.

That's an awesome ride, man. I remember when I was younger my neighbors had one of these Citroens and I was simply blown away at how it looked. Of course at the time I was not aware of exactly what I was looking at, but the car just screamed elegance. Especially when parked alongside the ubiquitous Honda Accord that plagues my neighborhood. Here (in Washington state) I wouldn't imagine there being more than a small handful still on the road.

Well, I know that of this particular model (DS23), there are less than 40 in North America, as the DS23 was never directly sold in North America, so all DS23s in North America are self-imports.  More here.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

He is probably talking abut the DS, as a model, not a 23 :)

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

He is probably talking abut the DS, as a model, not a 23 :)

I know.  But I thought I'd share anyway.  As far as I can gather, a little over 2 million D-models were made (this includes the DS, the ID and the D-Spéciale).  I'd be surprised if half of those are still in workable condition.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Echolocated.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Love it!

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Ah, finally I have let my car out again.

M9glxDZ.jpg

Unfortunately, I have been so busy driving it, that I forgot to take any pictures of my car.  My friend took this one.  And as you can tell, it now has plates on.

What is less obvious is that it has new tyres on.

And what is impossible to tell is the amount of tweaking under the bonnet.  A lot of tightening, losing and adjusting have been done.  Mostly anything that can be done without buying new parts.  The steering really is a lot more smooth and precise now.  It really has significantly improved.  I am very pleased about that.

• epoxi and *MURDOC* like this

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Echolocated.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

I really like that colour, and the interior as well.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

How does it have a black plate?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

How does it have a black plate?

The Danish tax agency, who issues number plates, allows you to get 'historical accurate number plates', if your car is old enough.

From 1954 (I think) to 1976, Denmark used white on black vitreous enamel number plates.  From 1 April 1976, Denmark began using white number plates.

Since the car is from 26 February 1974 (that is, its original registration date), it qualifies for 'historical accurate number plates'.  This cost twice as much as regular number plates.  But then you also get the plates in vitreous enamel, with the correct typeface!  In addition, you also get the registration number that the agency would have issued on that date.  That means, that 26 February 1974 was the latter part of the DJ-numbers.  60,000 and above are reserved for non-private cars.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

That's pretty f*cking cool! How much did it cost? (I'm fine with DKK here)

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I love it, and I have to say that Copenhagen is my favourite European city. So clean and beautiful, and also Christiania :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users