Quantcast

» «
Photo

Anyone else starting to get bored of video games?

76 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:16 AM

My interest typically comes and goes. The only new game I'm interested in buying this year is Watch Dogs (so far). I mostly play GTA IV and GTA V. GT6 kept my interest for a while, but that's what I've been playing lately.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

c.r.e.a.m

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

The gaming industry has gone to sh*t.

We have gone into a dark age of gaming. Wait another 15 years and it'll be booming again.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Same here OP. We're getting old. Hopefully it's just the insane amount of stress these past few months, cause I'd hate to not actually like playing games anymore.

• SonOfLiberty and ShadowDog94 like this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

It's completely natural for your tastes and interests to change as you get older. About 8 years ago I was in the same boat. I couldn't understand it myself back then but all I knew is I had to do something about it! Like others have said looking back now It was around the time when the industry was getting absolutely flooded with free roam games so perhaps that has something to do with it these days but just with fps.

I got over it thankfully next gen was just around the corner 360 ps3 era and the likes of gears of war pulled me back in and I haven't left it since. With the 360 I went back through the back catalogue about halfway through its life cycle and picked up a lot of the games that I'd missed just in order to expand what kind of genres I would play. That helped a lot as ones I would normally just breeze over I ended up enjoying.

If you haven't already start checking out the indie market that has the latest new up and comers and games with a fresh feel.

But perhaps you are losing interest in games but don't be surprised when dat game comes along that re ignites your fire!

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

I got the same with maintsream, big budget games. They tend to be all looks, but no real content. Dull...

Luckily, there are always a lot of 'small' budget games from independent game houses that are still interesting and different.

Mind you, these days big companies have swallowed many of these small game houses, but there are still many left, making great games.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:39 AM Edited by ShadowDog94, 28 January 2014 - 11:41 AM.

Same here OP. We're getting old. Hopefully it's just the insane amount of stress these past few months, cause I'd hate to not actually like playing games anymore.

It might actually be that we're just not playing the right games lately. For example, just last night after I made this thread I decided to pop in Jak & Daxter, just for nostalgia, and I found myself staying up 'til like 4 o'clock in the morning playing it. It's just so good. One of my favourite childhood games.

Maybe games that come out nowadays just aren't that good, at least most of them anyway. The only games I can truly say I thoroughly enjoyed last year would be BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us and GTA V. I played each of those for like eight hours straight when I first got them. Everything else I played I found above average at best. I suppose every year has those few games that truly stand out from the rest. Maybe after playing a game you consider a masterpiece, anything lesser just feels sh*t in comparison.

• DeafMetal likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Not yet, but I fear that the time will soon come. Games nowadays are focusing far too story focused, don't get me wrong, I like a good story just as much as the next person, but unlike the next person, I despise the focus on storytelling. GAMEplay will always be my number one priority in a GAME. Literally the only thing that anyone cares about in a game nowadays is the story, it doesn't matter how much a game lacks gameplay or how bad the gameplay is in a particular game, most people will just ignore these huge issues if the story is great.
Because of this, I fear that gaming will soon get to a point where all games have a cutscene to gameplay ration comparable to Metal Gear Solid 4 and the quality of that small amount of gameplay will be comparable to Mass Effect 2 because developers will be able to get away with it. The only good thing I can hope for is that when this time does come, people will start wanting great gameplay back.

• DeafMetal likes this

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

I've never been a huge gamer, there are just aren't many series that I enjoy.

I only bought 3 games last year: GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, and Dead Space 3 (which was a big let down) because nothing else looked interesting.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

Most of the interesting games last year were indie games. Very few of the large budget titles interested me. 

I don't think it's you OP. The progress of gaming in the last few years has stagnated. Companies are releasing the same game after game year after year. 

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:50 AM Edited by Freakorama, 29 January 2014 - 03:51 AM.

GTA V Held my attention for like two weeks but I've been playing The Last of Us every other day. And that's the singleplayer, not the multiplayer.

I rarely play anything else and its been like that for a long time. I'll play through a game's story once then that's about it.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

Just waiting for the new sh*t to come out. Elder Scrolls Online mostly right now.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:33 PM Edited by d0mm2k8, 29 January 2014 - 04:33 PM.

I had a time in the past couple of years where games didn't interest me at all. I'm finding myself getting back into them now though for a couple of reasons, the first being that gaming isn't the main thing I do; I have a sh*t load of study and I socialize etc.

The main reason however is that I changed the types of game I played. Instead of playing the standard PS/Xbox/PC AAA mainstream games or hip indie titles, I've gotten big into Nintendo's library/systems (other than Pokemon), finding a wealth of freshness in gaming that I haven't felt in years. Hell, I went from literally never having played a Zelda title to it being my favourite game series - period.

Seriously, give Ninty a chance. They offer something different (that isn't simply dumbed down PC gaming) and the 3DS and Wii U are great, it might just be what you're looking for.

Spoiler

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

• Forum Bureau of Investigation
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah it happens and I got that when GTA V came out. I wasn't getting that cosy, smug, magical feeling I get when I decide I'm going to have a gaming-night to myself. I wasn't getting excited over future releases. Like all things....take a long break from gaming. Forget about it for a while and don't force yourself back in to it. 

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Same. Don't really feel like playing games. You see, the problem are the games. What do you see nowadays ? FPS oh look another FPS, oh another FPS with more guns, oh LOOK AN TPS another FPS and it goes on and on. It's getting boring of these damn games already. It's just getting repetive. Give change to indies and you'll get a game better than triple a company one, cuz companys like EA can't think of anything new.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

I'm with you 100%. 

Few games I could honestly say I played for hours ( Still nothing like PS2 era ) but I'll name two. 

Red Dead Redemption 

The Last of Us

The problem with me is that most of the games coming out are all the same and focus way too much on the casual players. Also the fact that not many games focus more on Single Player than Online. Even GTA V had more focus on MP than SP.

Call of Duty is forcing almost all FPS games to play just like this.

Battlefield is just a rush product filled with so many bugs.

Madden has gotten worst since the PS2 days.

Guitar Hero was so great than got milked to death.

The PS4 era is the last gaming generation I'll get if games don't improve. My PS3 library can't even compare with my PS1 library. I have more older games back with the NES than I have for PS3. 

I have another problem with gaming. $60 for the same product? Plus half the content taken out for $15 map packs or micro transactions. Why has gaming turn into milk everyone for every PENNY you can. 

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Personally I have two tricks that keep my interest in games fresh from year to year. and as I've been playing about 40 years already, they really work!!!

Trick one: Get a new console, and then pile of games that are out only for that console. This will keep you amused for about half a year.

Trick two: get a second hand vintage console with games from ebay. Again, you will be vigorated and your excitement in games will peak again.

For you, I would suggest getting Dreamcast with games, as there are still few of them on sale, and their resell prices keep getting better and better (meaning you can later sell it for profit!)

then again, if you are a veteran gamer, you might already own Dreamcast. So how about Megadrive? 3DO? CD32?

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Personally I have two tricks that keep my interest in games fresh from year to year. and as I've been playing about 40 years already, they really work!!!

Trick one: Get a new console, and then pile of games that are out only for that console. This will keep you amused for about half a year.

Trick two: get a second hand vintage console with games from ebay. Again, you will be vigorated and your excitement in games will peak again.

For you, I would suggest getting Dreamcast with games, as there are still few of them on sale, and their resell prices keep getting better and better (meaning you can later sell it for profit!)

then again, if you are a veteran gamer, you might already own Dreamcast. So how about Megadrive? 3DO? CD32?

Trick three: Have money for all that

• Nipperkins likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Nah, PS4 has got my interest back. It has the best library of games, and especially the PS1/2 emulator rumored to be coming to it.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Nah, PS4 has got my interest back. It has the best library of games, and especially the PS1/2 emulator rumored to be coming to it.

Even I have a PS4 and I can say that's false. Both next gen games have sh*t for launch. Good games start coming out this year. 

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Y'knahmean?

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

For me it's on and off. I'll get into video gaming for a few weeks, then lose interest and find something else for a few weeks, and repeat. I blame my ADD.

BSD
  • BSD

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:18 AM Edited by BSD, 03 February 2014 - 01:19 AM.

Gaming definitely used to be the main part of my day, in that it was what I looked forward to when I woke up before I went to school. Schooldays were gotten through with the mindset to coming home to COD, exams left unprepared for etc.

Definitely grown out of that now though. I'm finding that not only do I have less spare time for gaming (Uni, part time job and gym take up the most hours of my day, rather than gaming), but when I do have spare time, I'm so shattered that I prefer to crash out on my bed and put on a TV series that I'm into (at the moment that's Breaking Bad, TWD and Suits). When I do game, its really just about messing around for like half an hour on one of the old GTA's on the pc, or if I'm feeling up to it, playing GTAO for a bit.

I suppose its not so much about growing up as much as it is about interests and priorities changing. 2/3 years ago, my priorities were on gaming, as were the priorities of many others I knew. But some others my age put the amount of time that I put into gaming into sports and other stuff. Since beginning uni, I've fond that my priorities have become more focused on what I want to become (healthier and wealthier), rather than what I want to do at this moment in time (laze around - what students typically desire).

That being said, some games still capture my attention when they come out and I do find myself gaming for longer periods when good games are out. TLoU & GTA V were the last games to do so in the last year, and I suspect that Watchdogs, the next Sleeping Dogs game and the next Rockstar game will do the same. I note the contrast between those types of games and what I used to play for most hours in the day - games like GTA, TLoU, Sleeping Dogs, Batman etc. are all about creating a lasting experience and telling a movie/novel worthy story, while CoD is nothing more than an addictive drug that rewards you with worthless points. Maybe my newfound maturity demands something more than mindless gun battles to cure my boredom. One thing is for sure, my days of sitting in front of a screen and shooting my ACR at squeaky kids online all year long until the next instalment in that dreadful franchise drops are long gone.

Johan
  • Johan

Days since avatar changed: 6

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Had that feeling last year when I got myself into one of my longest relationships, now that it's over I'm slowly gaining back interest in video games just not as much as let's say... 2+ years ago.

LilMcJohn
  • LilMcJohn

Leaf's Yellow Flash

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:22 AM Edited by LilMcJohn, 03 February 2014 - 03:23 AM.

I was at Gamestop on Christmas with my brother and I just was standing in front of the xbox section. I was just looking at this wall of games, but I didn't like nearly any of them. Don't get me wrong I wasn't broke I had over at least 100 in my wallet and when you see a lot of 20 dollar games you should be able to pick some up real fast. It took me literally 30 minutes just to get what I wanted and get out.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

I think I would only be bored with gaming if I had money. As it is now I have had to catch up on a ton of good games I've missed and have had to be very decissive in which ones I really want. I have only just been able to finally play MGS4 and now can look for other PS3 exclusives.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

It's been like this for me for a while. Games just don't seem to hold my attention for very long these days. There's never really a new game that makes me go ''wow'' or anything. I find myself just going ''okay'' most of the time, and I never expect them to be very good, and I'm usually right.

Back in the day, I used to replay the same games over and over because I found them so enjoyable, but nowadays after I complete a game, I never feel the need to go back to it. There are a few exceptions though like Mass Effect, Red Dead, Fallout, Uncharted, BioShock and GTA, but even those aren't as good nowadays as I used to find them.

I never really feel the need to play games anymore. I spend more time on my PC and listening to music than anything. I don't know if it's because I'm growing out of video games, or possibly because I'm depressed, as I've heard it can cause you to lose interest in things you normally like.

I feel the same on the matter. I think you're just outgrowing the monotony. Video games just dont stimulate you like they used to. You need sonething new; video games feel repetitive now, with every new game makin yiu feel like its a knock off of another.

Part of the reason is because nowadays we as gamers dont give new franchises a try, we always look to but a sequel because we know the last one didnt dissapoint and left us wanting more of the same... But there lies the problem: you just get more if the same... And what happens when you do the same thing over and over? Yoy get bored.

At least thats how i feel about it.

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

#BUCKLEUPBABY

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I do get bored of videogames sometimes, when you play the same video game over and over again. I always try another videogame to keep me happy ;)

Strength
  • Strength

Sugar Tits

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:35 PM Edited by Strength, 04 February 2014 - 04:40 PM.

It's just a phase. Had it first time in 2001 (been gaming since 1995). I stopped completly playing games for three years until I purchased PS2 in late 2003 and started coming back into 3D era GTA games and for the first time started playing Hitman series and moved mostly to new genre of gaming that I never experienced before. After spending countless hours on GTA San Andreas in 2004 (till early 2006 :ph34r: ) and on Fable in 2005 I started to become bored of gaming again. After I re-played Hitman Blood Money for the third time in late 2006 I completly stopped gaming again for another three years, until I replayed Fable again in 2009 and moved right after to the new/old generation of consoles. I had gaming crisis again in the last couple of years quite often too, where I would not touch a single game for months, but GTA V pushed me right back into serious and devoted gaming. Wonder how much this will last, but looks good for now. 

You outgrow some aspects of your life and move on for a while, but you always come back to things that gave you enormous amount of pleasures in life.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

My problem is that i still looking forward to certain games but when i finally play it i get bored after a couple of hours of playing. Last game i bought was ac black flag.Very cool game but after the first hours i got bored and put it away and have no intention to play it again. Gta v is okey for me but that game disappointed me pure becuz the insane hype. Now i'm really looking forward to infamous ss. I hope i'm not getting bored after play that game. Maybe it's because i'm older or that games don't innovate so much anymore. I used to play everyday since i got my amiga 500 and bought atleast 3 games per month,sometimes more.

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

Tim Roth has an alien skull for a forehead.

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

I was, but then I discovered Freeware….

:inlove: Returning to A-Train + SimAnt

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:59 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 19 April 2014 - 03:00 AM.

Lately the only game I have fun with alone is GTA V. And I can only do it for an hour or two before getting tired. It's really disappointing me... this is my hobby. And all the sh*t pressing on me isn't letting me enjoy my hobby.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users