» «
Photo

Why option B the perfect ending is

181 replies to this topic
Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:01 PM Edited by Niko Vercetti 112, 27 January 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Disclaimer: I'm not here to debate whether or not ending B, or any other ending, ic canon or not. All I want to do is explain why I feel that ending B is actually a good ending to GTA V.

Ok to start with you've got to pay attention to certain dialogue throughout the game. There are instances (for example Lester telling Michael that hiring Franklin on the jewellery store heist "will be [his] funeral") which forshadow Franklin betraying Michael.

Secondly, look at Michael's story, then look at Franklins after ending B... Franklin follows the very same path as Michael. Both betray the only person who was ever good to them (in Michael's case it was Trevor, in Franklin's case it was Michael) for the higher power (Michael's being Dave and the FIB, Franklin's being Devin Weston). And in the end both of them are left with nothing but a large mansion and no one who can any longer connect with them. Hell, Franklin even uses Michael's exact reasoning in his phone call to Lamar, justifying Michael's death.

And then there's the fact that Trevor actually finds a decent way of realising that Michael was always his friend (having him killed at the hands on an even worse trecherous asshole), as opposed to "oh, we killed a bunch of FIB agents together, we're friends again."

And then finally, as every good story should, everything comes full circle. Franklin is, in a sense, left with the only person he started the story with... Lamar.

Tl;dr Read the damn post before commenting, "but ending C is canon. Rockstar said the DLC will blah blah blah"
  • saintsrow, craigdyid, Shenmue18 and 24 others like this

Jacob-B
  • Jacob-B

Misunderstood Genius

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I understand your opinion on the matter, but I honestly don't think any ending can be considered "canon" they all make sense to the story and that's what I like about it... but the general consensus is that C is the perfect ending, and if they do make single player DLC, they will base is on the Deathwish ending.

But I like your thoughts on ending B, Michael was my favorite character, and I can't really bring myself to kill him.

• Eutyphro, Gantons Most Wanted, lizardman563 and 11 others like this

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Can we please stop making these threads?

They are all the same and most people vote for C.

One thread is enough to see this, not 50

• Fawkstraht, MetalMilitia89, hyperar and 1 other like this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

@above. For f*ck sake I'm not saying ending B is canon. I'm not even implying it. What I'm saying is that from a story telling perspective it's the best. No wonder the rest of the forum thinks the V section is utterly retarded.
  • Fuzzknuckles, Eutyphro, MiamiViceCity and 20 others like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:18 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 27 January 2014 - 03:20 PM.

@above. For f*ck sake I'm not saying ending B is canon. I'm not even implying it. What I'm saying is that from a story telling perspective it's the best. No wonder the rest of the forum thinks the V section is utterly retarded.

Don't worry man, I know how you feel. My thread on ending A was made up of either worthwhile contributors  or 12 year olds claiming "Ending C is da canon bcuzz all 3 characters surviveee!!! -___- idiot" with no other reason why. 

OT: I always thought Ending B was the cruel ending. The ending that is realistic, but also an unhappy ending. Like the movie Se7en. I still reckon A is the perfect ending because it portrays Michael's and Trevor's friendship. B doesn't really do that IMO. A was perfect because Michael wanted to tie up loose ends to keep his family out of danger, so him and Franklin both worked together to get rid of him. M and F also have a conversation at the end which is very thought provoking and expressed their friendship. 

"Survival is winning franklin, Everything else is bullsh*t. Fairytales, spun by people afraid to look life in the eye

Whatever it takes, kid.
Survive." 

(and yes, I am aware Ive already posted that quote in another thread) :p 

• Budweiser Addict, mastershake616, matajuegos01 and 4 others like this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Neither ending was a perfect ending, all 3 felt forced and made no sense whatsoever. 

A: Yes Trevor is a crazy son of a bitch, but why kill him there really was no valid reason for Franklin to do so. They were buddies after all.

B: Without Michael, Franklin would've never even gotten out of his pseudo-gangbanger lifestyle, so he literally owes Michael (his mentor) his life. 

C: Stretch and Wei Cheng where never a nuisance to begin with, killing them felt pointless.

If there is a canon ending it shouldn't be one of the above, it rather should be right after the Final Heist.

• Mister Pink, Sprue, Lisha and 16 others like this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Don't worry man, I know how you feel. My thread on ending A was made up of either worthwhile contributors  or 12 year olds claiming "Ending C is da canon bcuzz all 3 characters surviveee!!! -___- idiot" with no other reason why. 

OT: I always thought Ending B was the cruel ending. The ending that is realistic, but also an unhappy ending. Like the movie Se7en. I still reckon A is the perfect ending because it portrays Michael's and Trevor's friendship. B doesn't really do that IMO. A was perfect because Michael wanted to tie up loose ends to keep his family out of danger, so him and Franklin both worked together to get rid of him. M and F also have a conversation at the end which is very thought provoking and expressed their friendship. 

"Survival is winning franklin, Everything else is bullsh*t. Fairytales, spun by people afraid to look life in the eye
Whatever it takes, kid.
Survive." 

(and yes, I am aware Ive already posted that quote in another thread) :p 
In all honesty I may not agree with you on ending A being the best storywise, I do agree that both ending A and B are a hell of a lot more realistic (and better) than ending C. To me, if anyone was in the same situation as Franklin they would have chosen to kill Trevor, no doubt about it.

In the end though, had GTA V been a movie or TV show I feel that the most fitting way to bring it to a close is ending B.
  • The Odyssey and matajuegos01 like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I hated Devin Weston and Steve Haines with all my heart. I would never kill either Trevor or Michael simply because i had no desire to obey or do missions for Weston and Haines. In fact, if i had any control over the story i'd have killed them on the first sight.

• TirkaneX and A.O.D.88 like this

Themonsterhunter
  • Themonsterhunter

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:30 PM Edited by Themonsterhunter, 27 January 2014 - 04:30 PM.

I can see some of the reasons as to why people would like ending B the best, but for me the ending that closes the most plot holes would be ending C. 

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

None of the endings are "perfect", but, in my opinion, B was the worst ending. Franklin is out of character in that ending. My favourite ending is C, but I also like ending A. :p

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, that's good and all, but, what happens to the Chinese? They would probably come back to kill Trevor or Franklin so, yeah.

Secondly, what about Merryweather? They would probably come back to kill Trev and Frank as well.

Thirdly, the Ballas would probably kidnap Lamar again and this time, maybe they would be able to kill Frank while rescuing him.

Also, I don't think that Devin would leave Frank alone. Yeah, he did a job for him, but he would probably kill Frank to end his connection with him and so that Frank couldn't talk about Devin's job.

Finally, I don't think that the FIB is going to leave Frank alone as well because he just killed Michael and that would damage their reputation pretty badly if the media knew about it.

I'm not saying that your theory is bullsh*t. In fact, I actually liked the reasons. Except I don't think that the people I just listed are going to leave Frank and Trevor alone. 

• strakan7 likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

All 3 endings were terrible and rushed, much like the game's storyline

But I chose 'C', wish I would have chosen 'A' though, I f*cking hate Trevor

• Sprue, Dijital Binali, Peachrocks and 1 other like this

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Should have used "spoiler" in title and no option C is ideal as I keep all three of my characters and don't lose any of my assets.  

Wug Shug
  • Wug Shug

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Who here knows how to read? 'Cause I know Richard doesn't.

Dяno
  • Dяno

dolan pls

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Ending B was a terrible ending to GTA 5 and that's what I like to see. It made GTA 5 feel so real about how the student betrays the master after everything he did for him.

• Fawkstraht and TaviColen123 like this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

I think it's a well made argument and I like the parallels drawn between Franklin now and Michael in the past, however, I'm forced to disagree. The reason being is that although the circumstances are similar, Franklin is not Michael.

When faced with the options, I honestly believe that Franklin would pick "C", and that makes it feel right to me.

What do we know about Franklin?

• He is arguably the most emotionally mature and stable of the three even though he is the youngest (constantly trying to play down infighting between Trevor and Michael, doesn't rise to it when Trevor flips out at him when he laughs at him tripping over the fence).
  • He is loyal - rushes into saving Lamar at the Saw Mill, repeatedly helps Tonya, even though their problems are totally of their own making.
  • In my opinion, he comes across as too self confident and secure to be bullied by anyone.

Add that up, and the fact that meeting Michael leads him onto a score worth somewhere between £20-£40m, I really can't envisage him betraying his mentor. He's also got no grudge against Trevor either.

Yes the situation looks impossible, but Franklin not prone to impulse. In C he does exactly what I'd expect him to do. Work out what the other options might be - and who can help him who knows the situation but is not on Weston or the FIB's radar? He goes to Lester.

Perhaps you feel C is too happy for a GTA ending, and to an extent I agree. When I first picked C I thought Franklin would die a noble death for his choice. I picked it not because I liked him less, but it felt like what he would do - take the risk and do the right thing. In some ways, I made me feel rewarded for picking it though and more glad that he didn't die.

Incidentally, this is what I thought Niko would do in Blood Brothers. My first instinct would be he would ignore both Francis and Derrick and go straight to Gerald to tell him what was going down. The option is not there though, I even tried calling Gerald and Packie but they don't pick up their phones.

• archiebunker, Dijital Binali, TJtheS2000fan and 14 others like this

nathan456
  • nathan456

Cant Be Touched

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

You sir are one of the only forum members here that has contact with their brain :)

• TaviColen123 likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:57 PM Edited by cp1dell, 27 January 2014 - 08:59 PM.

C: Stretch and Wei Cheng where never a nuisance to begin with, killing them felt pointless.

Franklin brings up Wei Cheng claiming he is bound to come back. They want Trevor dead, and Michael as collateral thinking him and Trevor are dating.

Trevor is actually the one to bring up Stretch, to which Franklin replies with "Stretch [too]? We wanna throw him in?"

Yeah they were never as much as a problem as Steve Haines or Devon Weston, especially Stretch, but the three still want to take down the people who are pretty "noisy." Trevor refers to them as loose ends, and they were. No matter how small of a threat they were. Typical GTA ending where you kill the enemies who wronged you and got away.

To OP, the only thing I liked about Ending B was Franklin relaying the "legs giving out" line from Michael, and the song from the trailer playing as he walks away.

• Jimbatron, ScottishHeist123, TaviColen123 and 5 others like this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:10 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 27 January 2014 - 09:12 PM.

Franklin brings up Wei Cheng claiming he is bound to come back. They want Trevor dead, and Michael as collateral thinking him and Trevor are dating.

Trevor is actually the one to bring up Stretch, to which Franklin replies with "Stretch [too]? We wanna throw him in?"

Yeah they were never as much as a problem as Steve Haines or Devon Weston, especially Stretch, but the three still want to take down the people who are pretty "noisy." Trevor refers to them as loose ends, and they were. No matter how small of a threat they were. Typical GTA ending where you kill the enemies who wronged you and got away.

To OP, the only thing I liked about Ending B was Franklin relaying the "legs giving out" line from Michael, and the song from the trailer playing as he walks away.

Agree with this. Wei Cheng was actually a very big problem for Michael and Trevor. I would not call someone who hangs me upside down to drop me into a meat grinder "never a nuisance to begin with" unless I was hoping to go out on an OD of irony instead.

Stretch was arguably the least threatening of the four, but only because he had little contact with Trevor and none with Michael. However, he is a big problem for Lamar and Franklin. Given those guys took a big risk to help Trevor and Michael, the least they could do was return the favour.

• giveaccess and Big Gta fan like this

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I agree that A and B ending are a lot stronger than people give them credit to be, however if there's any change I would make, it's that the surviving characters would still go on to kill the secondary antagonists(Wei Cheng, Steve Haines, Devin Weston, even Stretch), similar to how GTAIV presented it. Though in the case of Stretch, he's barely even a threat to Franklin and Lamar, much less to Michael and Trevor, so I think that it would have been better as a Strangers and Freaks sorta thing that maybe even ties Tonya into it all somehow. It bothered me that Trevor has a Strangers and Freaks mission after the story, but the other characters do not.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I agree that A and B ending are a lot stronger than people give them credit to be, however if there's any change I would make, it's that the surviving characters would still go on to kill the secondary antagonists(Wei Cheng, Steve Haines, Devin Weston, even Stretch), similar to how GTAIV presented it. Though in the case of Stretch, he's barely even a threat to Franklin and Lamar, much less to Michael and Trevor, so I think that it would have been better as a Strangers and Freaks sorta thing that maybe even ties Tonya into it all somehow. It bothered me that Trevor has a Strangers and Freaks mission after the story, but the other characters do not.

There's a lot of reasons why Trevor deserves to die, but "Mrs Phillips" does make him seem a lot more pitiable than anything.

• matajuegos01 likes this

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

There's a lot of reasons why Trevor deserves to die, but "Mrs Phillips" does make him seem a lot more pitiable than anything.

I think there are plenty of reasons for Michael and Franklin to die too, though. Even though Michael has turned away from his life of crime there's really no way to guarantee he isn't still going to go back to his shady ways, and, though I can't credit the exact person who mentioned this, but Franklin's isolation from people makes him potentially more dangerous than Michael and Trevor, because it makes his decisions all the more unpredictable. 
I'd also like to add that I wish there was just an option to kill both of them, especially with how Ending B ends, but with the way I'm thinking of how the ending should have been, with it being a two-parter like IV, we're looking at more than just three endings.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I understand where you are coming from OP but its just too depressing for my taste

I could never like or play as Franklin again

and poor Michael..I suppose this ending would not have been so bad if Franklin wasn't the bad guy and Michael was killed by some other dude like Kate/Roman in IV

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

I think there are plenty of reasons for Michael and Franklin to die too, though.

That's as maybe, but I'd suggest Trevor is on a different level of depravity than Michael and Franklin.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:18 PM Edited by greenrock, 27 January 2014 - 11:22 PM.

the only people who like A and B hate Michael and Trevor and are Franklin lovers

thats what it seems like

• A.O.D.88 likes this

lol232
  • lol232

GTAForums Gold™ Member

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Not trying to sound like a douche, but I think that C is the canon ending...
...But I'd rather B than A.

I Am NADA
  • I Am NADA

Formaldehyde Face

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Ok, some people need to learn the difference between "canon" and "cannon".

I wouldn't say any ending is canon without input from Rockstar, but I like C the best because it shows Franklin refusing to bow to either "higher up". His loyalty is stronger than his fear of reprisal, and I like that. He'd rather go out swinging than punk out and betray someone he cares about more than douches like Devon Weston or Steve Haines.

• SwingingSpidey likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

OP, you could also use the conversation between Franklin and Lamar during the first part of Repossession; in it, Lamar reveals that Franklin has had a mentor-figure before, and may have betrayed him, and the player can decide to kill another mentor-figure, Simeon, during the game.  Ending B shows that things do not change, and that Franklin has learned Michael's lesson: betrayal can bring you safety.  The achievement for passing the mission is called Surpassed the Master.

However, ending C shows that things can change, and that by acting in the interest of the group instead of the individual can achieve more. It also shows the story coming full circle. Essentialy, it's the last part of the Prologue but with roles switched: this time, it's the criminals lure the corrupt authorities into a crossfire and, because they work together and haven't ratted the others out, they survive the attack, and the mission ends with a burial, like the Prologue (except at sea).

• I Am NADA, giveaccess, fluffydude51 and 1 other like this

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:06 AM Edited by Schismatist, 28 January 2014 - 12:08 AM.

Ok, some people need to learn the difference between "canon" and "cannon".

I wouldn't say any ending is canon without input from Rockstar, but I like C the best because it shows Franklin refusing to bow to either "higher up". His loyalty is stronger than his fear of reprisal, and I like that. He'd rather go out swinging than punk out and betray someone he cares about more than douches like Devon Weston or Steve Haines.

Yeah, that's one issue I have with the endings, is that it feels as if Franklin's doing it because he's a pawn, and not for personal reasons(Trevor being crazy, Michael being untrustworthy). At least in Something Sensible, Michael tries to justify their reasons for killing Trevor, which at least may make the player feel better about their decision. 

It's kinda sad that even if all characters live, Franklin still seems to be lonely, and Trevor goes about his usual antics(that never really involved other people unless he was killing them). Michael is the only character that actually seems to really move on from the events of the story, being a producer, having his family restored... Something feels pretty unresolved with Trevor and Franklin, but in the case of Trevor, I don't think the definitive conclusion was for him to die. My opinion could change over time though.

I'd also like to mention that GTAV will be just like IV, where really, there will never be an indication that one ending is canon, even if there is an ending that is obviously better than another, the most confirmation we'll ever get is seeing Jimmy's LifeInvader in GTAVI and him having Michael and Trevor still added. : P

• matajuegos01, I Am NADA and k0NG3ØRN like this

Lil_B_The Basedgod
  • Lil_B_The Basedgod

f*ck the mods

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:58 AM Edited by Lil_B_The Basedgod, 28 January 2014 - 01:01 AM.

I really think this song fits with the end of Ending B, atleast for franklin

"Bitch im doing me, you should be yourself.

I gotta get this money, man, its nothing else.

never snitch up on your niggas, best bet for your health"

www.youtube.com/mwRPgmGteyw

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users