Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sorry for a topic like this but it's personal...

152 replies to this topic
Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey guys,

Usually I hate news posts and I'd never post one myself unless I felt it could spark some discussion, but there's some news that has hit me very personally.

http://baltimore.cbs...-columbia-mall/

I was born and raised in Columbia, Maryland, and while I never particularly likes the mall just about two hours ago, a shooter opened fire there. The report says that three people are dead, one of them possibly the shooter.

I've been getting sick of posts about shootings across the nation and the world, but I never really thought one would come to where I live. Columbia has always been a safe and wonderful little city. It really hurts that something like has come to my hometown. Not only am I sad at the loss of life in the wake of indiscriminate and selfish violence, but I am somewhat sure that this shooting will end up on national news to some extent, and my quiet, peaceful, happy hometown will now be known in the minds of many as simply the location of another mall shooting.

Why I reach out to all of you is because I am not in Columbia, but instead in Vienna with my Serbian girlfriend visiting a friend of hers. Being so far away from my friends and family and in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people--not to mention that we are supposed to be relaxing and enjoying life--makes me feel very isolated and trapped with my feelings. I will probably tell them what happened, but I worry it will bring the mood of the visit down.

Anyway, I apologize in advance for the hypocrisy of hating useless news articles but now posting one of my own. I hope my deep personal attachment to the story can be an excuse somewhat. I'm sure there will be some smartass comments and nobody really has to say anything, I'm not fishing for sympathy, it just helps to think that someone is listening when you're talking.

So thank you for reading if you did. I hope things are going well for you and that life is good.

• Finn 7 five 11, Toğrul, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and 7 others like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Wow.. I've been shopping in that place countless times. Not another one of these shootings. When will we get our act together?

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Another shooting, why? Really that's the question I keep asking myself, why? To what avail? It is all so senseless. Horrible.

Oh and for your information, it has made international headlines.

• Finn 7 five 11, 018361, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

#guncontrolftw

• theadmiral likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

This will continue to happen from time to time wheter it be a mall or a school etc. Unfortunatley the human race will always have a few disturbed individuals that do this.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I keep thinking that eventually, shooting rates will rise and they'll be so frequent that the news will simply stop reporting them. I mean hell, when the automobile first came out, newspaper headlines were probably like "REGINALD PAWTIKIKIKER SPEEDS 4 MILES OVER THE LIMIT", but speeding happened so frequently, that they stopped reporting speeders.

Only time will tell.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Another shooting, why? Really that's the question I keep asking myself, why? To what avail? It is all so senseless. Horrible.

Oh and for your information, it has made international headlines.

Now, watch the news claim that GTA was the reason for this. 

• ten-a-penny likes this

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:44 PM Edited by Kazandra, 25 January 2014 - 06:45 PM.

I believe the reason we have so many shootings now is because of the hopeless atmosphere people are brought up in.  People get bullied.  There is no one there for them.  They either become disturbed or were disturbed to begin with.  

They look at american culture, how the criminals and the rich and the celebrities who abuse the people beneath them are celebrated by the media and worshiped by the daft public who care about nothing but the next instant gratification, and how the poor and weak are trampled on.  The next viral video or reality show that satisfies their bloodlust or their lust for humiliation.

It has very little to do with the fact that guns are readily available to the public.  If we didn't have guns there would be mass bombings made from home made ingredients, or mass poisonings or gassings.  It's the fault of the culture.

I'm not making excuses for the people who actually get to the point where they become so hopeless they want to kill others.  I'm just doing the best I can trying to explain why, in my opinion, that so many people in the U.S. snap.

• 018361 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

I believe the reason we have so many shootings now is because of the hopeless atmosphere people are brought up in.  People get bullied.  There is no one there for them.  They either become disturbed or were disturbed to begin with.  

People have been bullied for years and years. Back in the day, if you were bullied, you stood up for yourself and duke it out with the aggressor. Nowadays, they think shooting up the entire school is good enough.

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

lol!

So how many shootings have occurred since the new year now?

As long as guns exist, so will shootings.
  • theadmiral likes this

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

lol!

As long as any way to kill people exist, killings will continue to happen in a culture where violence and degradation are celebrated. That is my point.

You can't blame guns for killing people.  I'm about as liberal as you can get on most issues but this is one where I disagree with the democrats.  Cars kill people too.  They have the potential to be dangerous. Should we take all the cars away and go back to horse and buggy rides?

The only thing you would accomplish by taking guns away from U.S. citizens is make it to where the only people left that have guns are criminals.  Criminals don't buy guns legally.  Therefore, they don't even have registered firearms.  Those are only for the military, police and law abiding citizens such as hunters and people who just like to keep a gun in their home for protection and never really use it.  

It's not about guns.  It's about the culture.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Crime statistics (particularly shooting rampage statistics) in other countries with gun bans , where the culture is similar, would disagree with you.

• OG Sunny likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

They look at american culture, how the criminals and the rich and the celebrities who abuse the people beneath them are celebrated by the media and worshiped by the daft public who care about nothing but the next instant gratification, and how the poor and weak are trampled on.  The next viral video or reality show that satisfies their bloodlust or their lust for humiliation.

It has very little to do with the fact that guns are readily available to the public.  If we didn't have guns there would be mass bombings made from home made ingredients, or mass poisonings or gassings.  It's the fault of the culture.

I'm not making excuses for the people who actually get to the point where they become so hopeless they want to kill others.  I'm just doing the best I can trying to explain why, in my opinion, that so many people in the U.S. snap.

rgxgqpI.png

• Finn 7 five 11, na89340qv0n34b09q340, universetwisters and 5 others like this

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Crime statistics (particularly shooting rampage statistics) in other countries with gun bans , where the culture is similar, would disagree with you.

Not Switzerland.  Every home in Switzerland is required to own an assault rifle.  They learned their lesson from WWII.  If you look at the percentage of armed individuals in Switzerland and the rate of violent crime in Switzerland, I think you'll be surprised.  

rgxgqpI.png

Sarcasm.  In reality I'm the type of person to step over ants when I see them so I won't hurt them....

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:09 PM Edited by theadmiral, 25 January 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Switzerland is a fairly unique example in that they do not have a standing army, but i'll concede that one to you.

They also do not let you keep ammo for your guns at home.

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:11 PM Edited by Kazandra, 25 January 2014 - 07:16 PM.

Switzerland is a fairly unique example in that they do not have a standing army, but i'll concede that one to you.

Yes they do.  They are required to have so many rounds of ammo as well admiral, sir.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I just looked it up.  You were right.  They actually stopped issuing ammo not too long ago.  Doesn't mean that the citizens could just go out and buy their own ammo though.

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

lol!

As long as any way to kill people exist, killings will continue to happen in a culture where violence and degradation are celebrated. That is my point.

You can't blame guns for killing people.  I'm about as liberal as you can get on most issues but this is one where I disagree with the democrats.  Cars kill people too.  They have the potential to be dangerous. Should we take all the cars away and go back to horse and buggy rides?

The only thing you would accomplish by taking guns away from U.S. citizens is make it to where the only people left that have guns are criminals.  Criminals don't buy guns legally.  Therefore, they don't even have registered firearms.  Those are only for the military, police and law abiding citizens such as hunters and people who just like to keep a gun in their home for protection and never really use it.  

I let you play with my gun if you like :)

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:14 PM Edited by Vlynor, 25 January 2014 - 07:14 PM.

lol!

As long as weapons exist, there will be killings. As long as humans have hands, there will be killings. As long as humans have feet, there will be killings. Blame what you want, but regardless of the weapon in question, it's the man or woman behind it that causes the tragedy. China has mass stabbings, America has mass shootings, Iraq and Afghanistan and all of the Middle East have mass suicide bombings. There will always be a tool used to perpetrate these acts, but that's not the problem, it's the person using the tool. 

• Moth likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

"The world would be a better place if all the guns got taken away and melted and instead everyone had to choose one of the four ninja turtles weapons instead" - Albert Einstein

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

lol!

I let you play with my gun if you like :)

I'm afraid of that hair trigger.  :p

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Recap:

I said "As long as guns exist, so will shootings."

Because it's true, I didn't mean they should ban guns lol, I just basically said they shoot, hurt and kill. nothing more or less.

I basically wasn't explaining anything, just stating what they do :)
  • Frank Brown likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

There's a town in Utah called "Virgin", where each citizen legally has to buy a gun.

http://abcnews.go.co.../story?id=95092

I wonder what the crime rate's like there.

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Recap:

Because it's true, I didn't mean they should ban guns lol, I just basically said they shoot, hurt and kill. nothing more or less.

But, they could also be used to avoid a situation where someone has to get hurt.  Imagine a scenario where a criminal armed with a knife or a bat invades your family's home.  You have a gun and, seeing that he has been "outgunned", the criminal decides to leave your home without anyone being harmed, including the criminal.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yes they do.  They are required to have so many rounds of ammo as well admiral, sir.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I just looked it up.  You were right.  They actually stopped issuing ammo not too long ago.  Doesn't mean that the citizens could just go out and buy their own ammo though.

Also not correct, you can buy ammunition for use at gun ranges but by law the ammunition must be used there and you cannot take it home.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Recap:

But, they could also be used to avoid a situation where someone has to get hurt.  Imagine a scenario where a criminal armed with a knife or a bat invades your family's home.  You have a gun and, seeing that he has been "outgunned", the criminal decides to leave your home without anyone being harmed, including the criminal.

If someone armed with a bat enters my home I don't think a gun would help

batmanbatarang1.jpg

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:33 PM Edited by Raavi, 25 January 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Recap:

But what if the burglar gets a hold of your gun? Then your goose is cooked.

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I ate the goose before the burglar came :) so we're all fine :^:
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Recap:

True, but having a way to protect yourself is still better than being beaten to death with a bat or stabbed to death with a knife.  Even worse, he could be some sicko that wants to rape you, then wear your skin as his own.  

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:30 PM Edited by OdDsOcK, 25 January 2014 - 08:31 PM.

Hi everyone,

More information has come in on the shooting and while it isn't confirmed, it appears on the information given that the shooting targeted two specific victims. The shooter had only one weapon, shot only two people, and then killed himself. It was in a store and the two victims were store employees, so I feel that if it was supposed to be a mass shooting, the shooter would have had more weapons or at least attacked the food court or some other crowded space instead of a small, niche store (the store Zumiez in which the shooting took place caters to a skater culture).

I appreciate nobody being facetious or mocking about the incident and I appreciate that people are talking about it and the issue of gun legislation seriously.

If I could offer, I think that isolated cases of gun legislation examples shouldn't be measured solely in crime rates. Income, education, population levels, diversity of population, and many other factors affect crime statistics, gun-related or not. Switzerland is not the be-all-end-all example of why arming a population works, just as Australia is not the be-all-end-all example of why taking arms away from the population entirely works.

In all cases, we can agree that we should be vigilant and supportive of one another.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Just came on the news here as well while I was reading this in the background.

I feel that it's for all the publicity, shootings always blow up in the news, these people want to go out with a bang.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users