Quantcast

» «
Photo

A videogame level set during 9/11

41 replies to this topic

Poll: A videogame level set during 9/11 (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a videogame knowing there is a level set during the 9/11 attack

1. Yes (45 votes [84.91%])

Percentage of vote: 84.91%

2. No (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Stories of people finding separated spinal cords and body parts along with people jumping out of windows I think is too much for a game to have on it's shoulders, at least at this point in time.

yes but a game which focused on the events of Sept. 11 doesn't have to show any of that stuff.

you could approach a game like that from several angles.

you don't necessarily have to show graphic violence to depict the story itself.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

So why would it be any different to put you in the shoes of a top floor south tower worker on September 11th, 2001, than a soldier, waiting to shore on 6 June 1944 during the Normandy landings?

Because:

1, Because people in the towers were non-combatant civilians.

2, WW2 has been dramatized and softened up over the years, it is now quite a distant memory, 9/11 is too recent in peoples minds to mess around with as a means for entertainment.

Stories of people finding separated spinal cords and body parts along with people jumping out of windows I think is too much for a game to have on it's shoulders, at least at this point in time.

yes but a game which focused on the events of Sept. 11 doesn't have to show any of that stuff.

you could approach a game like that from several angles.

you don't necessarily have to show graphic violence to depict the story itself.

I only mentioned that because honestly, what is the point in making anything historically accurate unless you document the feelings of those involved and capture the atmosphere and insanity of the event.

If it is in the background as a backdrop for the game, it really could just be anything else, a made up war after a nuke or just a natural disaster, why even bother.

If you are going to take it head on, at least capture the unique stories so we can feel how it was to be in the towers at that moment and experience what the survivors and non survivors witnessed. Seeing something like that in an ordinary setting is way more powerful and shocking than seeing it on a battlefield.

Why even bother otherwise, because it sure as sh*t shouldn't be medium of entertainment.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Seeing your friend decapitated is difficult whether you're a stock broker, plumber or a soldier... People are people, even if they are trained for battle.

This isn't about a personal story or trying to connect to a character, it's for the mere experience of the moment when the people in the building realized what was happening.

YOU are the person trapped in the tower. Not some war hero or somebody specific. Put yourself in their mindset for the moment. How do I get out? Should I call my family? Should I jump out?!

Again, you're saying that WWII is OK to make games about because it's been a long time since it happened. But back then videogames weren't even an issue.

But it's not about how much time has passed since it happened. It's how well you present something to the public with the attempt to help people understand how serious the issue is.

Nobody's forcing you to play such a game, the mere question is would you?

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

It would be a pretty boring level, just you running down a staircase.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Don't know if you're stupid, didn't read the thread thoroughly, or don't have anything proper to say on the subject.

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well what else would you be doing during the level? Jumping out of a building? Burning to death? I can't see anything interesting in that. 

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think it could be a great way for a game about a fictional WW3 to open with.

''It's 9-11-2011. Tyler (9, protagonist), his brother (John, 11), father (James, 42) and mother (Abigail, 39) are in New York City. While walking in Manhattan, they all hear a loud noise: a plane. They look back, see the plane, follow it with their eyes and witness it crash into one of the World Trace Center towers. Everyone is shocked, a plane just crashed into the WTC. Everyone thinks this is an accident and watches the tower, then the second plane hits the second tower. It's obvious it's an terrorist attack now. While Tyler, his brother and mom want to run away, his father goes to the towers since he wants to help the victims. While the 3 are running away from the tower, they hear a loud noise, they look back and notice the first tower collapsing. Shocked and afraid of James' live, they turn the back to the towers. *jump in time a few hours* Tyler, John and their mother Abigail are at home, still not knowing James' faith. When he isn't home at night, Abigail gets worried and starts calling all hospitals, seeing if there's a James somewhere, but she can't get through.

*jump in time 2 days* 9-13-2011: The phone rings: James' death is confirmed: while walking/running away after helping some victims, he got hit by debris from the falling tower.

*jump in time 5 days* 9-18-2011: The United States of America declares war to the terrorists who did all this, and everyone who will protect these terrorist. They announce they'll put a large portion of their troops into the middle-east, searching for their terrorist. As the president is speaking, the operation is already underway, and the first US Soldiers are already in their planes, going to the middle-east. The first vehicles are also already underway, and the first drones are already being made.

*jump in time 1 year*  10-12-2012: Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria have all resisted, and war has broken out.

*jump in time 10 years* 6-24-2022: Full on war. The US and western European countries are fighting Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria. Tyler is in the American army, seeking revenge for the death of his father.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:22 PM Edited by ryuclan, 02 February 2014 - 09:42 PM.

I would play it, and I also think it could be done tastefully. Would I want Michael Bay directing it? f*ck no, but the thing is no matter how well done it is someone will cry foul. Whether it is completely accurate, whether it is completely free to play, whether all the proceeds go to the survivors of 9/11 victims somebody is going to bitch about it. People almost sh*t themselves at the THOUGHT of you killing people in an airport in COD.

If 9/11 was the focus of the game I don't think it would get released. I seem to remember a game called "6 Days in Fallujah" getting canned although actual soldiers were helping them make it who were literally there during the events depicted..

Lol I like how he says "Instead of fighting 'imaginary' wars." lol yeah because all FPS depict completely imaginary wars and firefights.

You know what this comes down to. It all boils down to people not respecting video games as an art form. If this exact same concept was used to create a movie nobody would give a single sh*t. Make it a video game and everybody loses their sh*t as if the very fact that it is in a game makes it a joke.

pyramid head
  • pyramid head

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

The level of controversy could be a lot. In GTA 3 the Twin Towers were supposed to be in the game and there was a mission where you had to fly a plane and crash it into a building, which (Although it was only inspired by the Twin Tower's terrorist attacks) caused a lot of controversy. So Rockstar had to remove some things from the game before it was released.

I'm open to correction on this, but i've never seen it said anywhere that the mission where you had to fly a plane and crash it into a building was inspired by 9/11 also GTA3 would have been in development for a long time prior to 9/11 and they could have chosen to put that mission in before the events of 9/11 happened and they then chose to remove that mission after the events of 9/11 because they knew it would generate a lot of controversy.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

There already is a game including this incident. It's called Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• El Diablo likes this

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:38 AM Edited by AndyGanteks, 05 February 2014 - 10:40 AM.

There would indeed be a lot of controversy, but maybe in 10-15 years when it's a bit forgotten, and when 2001 is a bit further in history books, it may just happen.

But yeah, i would play it, however, those who may have been in NYC that day, or a certain amount of people who have some bad memories of that day probably would not enjoy it much.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

The idea behind a game counts for sweet FA if the execution sucks.

End of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users