Quantcast

» «
Photo

A videogame level set during 9/11

41 replies to this topic

Poll: A videogame level set during 9/11 (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a videogame knowing there is a level set during the 9/11 attack

1. Yes (45 votes [84.91%])

Percentage of vote: 84.91%

2. No (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:19 PM Edited by MinnieMan121249, 25 January 2014 - 12:21 PM.

This is in no way a topic intended to disrespect or offend anyone. It is merely an idea I've had for quite some time that would make sense and, in my opinion would be interesting to take part in from a gaming perspective.

I've had this idea for a while now, and whenever I stumble upon something 9/11 related on the internet, the idea comes back to my mind, but since the subject is so touchy, I've had second thoughts on whether to ask other people for their opinion about this. I can almost see it. Such games as Call of Duty like to put the player in the shoes of "an about to be killed" person during a horrible and tragic event such as a terrorist attack?

2QenFZN.png

What if they had a mission set during the attack on the twin towers? I'm not a call of Duty fan, but what if you, as a player were put in the shoes of a worker in one of the twin towers ten minutes before the plane crashed into the first tower? I'm talking about a proper presentation, with to exaggerated bullsh*t surrounding it. A proper, good presentation of the horrors the people who died during that tragic event had to go through. Just imagine being in that position. You're above the 100th floor. You hear the explosion and immediacy panic and pandemonium erupt inside the tower. You mindleslly follow your co workers and try to escape the tower, all in vain.

nuke_mw.jpg

How much controversy do you think such a level in a videogame would cause in the media, and would you actually play the game, knowing there is a mission that opens up with you, being a person about to be killed.

• AndyGanteks likes this

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Believe it or not I too had had a very similar question on my mind for a while, if not, that exact one. 

I would, but between angry raging conspirators and news media trying to get their "big" story, it would, no pun intended, go up in flames. 

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by Flynny, 25 January 2014 - 12:55 PM.

depends on the game. It would not make me not play it if there was a 9/11, bloody sunday or 7/7 level.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

To me personally, such a level would just be another level in a game and it won't be any different from other similar situations/missions or whatever in other games where terrorism is involved. It won't bother me at all if a 9/11 mission appears in a game and I'll definitely play it as long as it's a good game.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

The level of controversy could be a lot. In GTA 3 the Twin Towers were supposed to be in the game and there was a mission where you had to fly a plane and crash it into a building, which (Although it was only inspired by the Twin Tower's terrorist attacks) caused a lot of controversy. So Rockstar had to remove some things from the game before it was released.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

The level of controversy could be a lot. In GTA 3 the Twin Towers were supposed to be in the game and there was a mission where you had to fly a plane and crash it into a building, which (Although it was only inspired by the Twin Tower's terrorist attacks) caused a lot of controversy. So Rockstar had to remove some things from the game before it was released.

If R* has to remove something because of controversy, you know it's something REALLY serious.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Bruce

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:12 PM Edited by Waldie, 25 January 2014 - 02:13 PM.

I'd have no objection to it but I doubt any major game would have the cojones to do it. Much less has been cut from games due to idiots kicking up a sh*tstorm.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

If R* has to remove something because of controversy, you know it's something REALLY serious.

Let's keep in that you could get away will very little in both movies and videogames in 2001 compared to 2014, as well as the fact that Rockstar wasn't as big as they were back then, and it was their 3rd installment in the series. If any reference to 9/11 would have been made so early, it would crush them.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Whether the developer and audience wants it to happen, it WON'T happen and you know why. It's just inevitably going to offend the traumatic people as well as the conspirators and the developers are going to be in serious sh*t for it.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I would play it but I can see why others would object to it. I doubt it will be done for a few years yet by a major company as they will get alot of backlash from the media and sources outside of the gaming community.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:35 PM Edited by MinnieMan121249, 25 January 2014 - 04:36 PM.

Whether the developer and audience wants it to happen, it WON'T happen and you know why. It's just inevitably going to offend the traumatic people as well as the conspirators and the developers are going to be in serious sh*t for it.

How offended do you think grandchildren of World Ward II veterans are when they see movies and videogames about that?

I'll tell you. Not offended what so ever.

This just goes to show how people blow up a topic as soon as it's covered on the news. If World War II happened in 2001 and not 1939, there would be no videogames about it. Because people would "offended".

It's funny how much people's thoughts are influenced by the media. Yes. 9/11 is a horrible event. And the world wouldn't be the same if it weren't for 9/11. Perhaps people like Saddam Husein and Usama Bin Laden would still be alive. But I don't think people should be offended by something that is meant to only show further how much something is serious. Whether it's in a movie or videogame,

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Keep in mind that GTA 3 was released a month after 9/11 happened. A lot of time has passed and you have to wonder how long until the "healing process" is over and we can reference it in movies, books, television and video games?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Keep in mind that GTA 3 was released a month after 9/11 happened. A lot of time has passed and you have to wonder how long until the "healing process" is over and we can reference it in movies, books, television and video games?

Yes but I'm talking about it from the media's point of view. It's been nearly 13 years and it still gets discussed at times. The media always try to find something to complain about and such a level will given them exactly that.

I'd definitely play the game but at the same time, I am sure it will be controversial as well.

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yes but I'm talking about it from the media's point of view. It's been nearly 13 years and it still gets discussed at times. The media always try to find something to complain about and such a level will given them exactly that.

I'd definitely play the game but at the same time, I am sure it will be controversial as well.

That's a good point, but Rockstar has been able to sell their games like hotcakes despite bad media representation before. Mass Effect sold well despite the whole "in game sex" controversy, all the Call of Duty games still sell like crazy despite news stations sh*tting all over it. Not to mention, take a PC game like Second Life where you can do ANYTHING you can think of and that still has sh*t loads of people playing it daily.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:10 PM Edited by AceKingston, 25 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

^ Exactly, people will still play it. There is a difference between Gamers and Media. The Media, like I said, just like to complain about everything, but gamers play the game only for entertainment, not for complaining. If the gamers also behaved like the media then GTA or even gaming will only be filled with games with less-violence like Mario.

In other words, the game will sell well but it will be controversial. Also about the fact whether it could go to the stage where the level needs to be patched/removed, Again, that depends on the developer. If it's Rockstar, most likely they won't unless it is something which is really serious because they have gotten away with a lot now but not every developer is like Rockstar. Will they listen to the media and remove/patch the level? Or will they, like Rockstar say 'f*ck it" and move on? There's no saying what could happen until the game does release. 

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

I can see it happening (not free of controvery anyway). Some kinf of survival game set in various terrorist attack scenarios. 

Maybe something similar, in certain aspects, to the gameplay of Alien Isolation, where the player has to use the stealth and interact with the scenery to find a way out the place and escape the Alien which, in this case, would be the terrorists.

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Nope. I would be to offended because that was a horrible event, and traumatic even though I was 4 years old. :whuh:

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

If it was a firefighting simulator, then yeah I would. But if they put me on the terrorist's POV, then... I would too, but I would just comply with the objective and not think about it. 

• Cincy32 likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

yes, I would play a game with a 9/11 mission/level/scenario.

I mean, what's the big deal?

the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and we play games with Pearl Harbor in it all the time.

there's already video games based on the Columbine and Virginia Tech school shootings, for instance.

this is the world we live in.

• Cincy32 likes this

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

AceKingston, on 25 Jan 2014 - 7:10 PM, said:

^ Exactly, people will still play it. There is a difference between Gamers and Media. The Media, like I said, just like to complain about everything, but gamers play the game only for entertainment, not for complaining. If the gamers also behaved like the media then GTA or even gaming will only be filled with games with less-violence like Mario.

In other words, the game will sell well but it will be controversial. Also about the fact whether it could go to the stage where the level needs to be patched/removed, Again, that depends on the developer. If it's Rockstar, most likely they won't unless it is something which is really serious because they have gotten away with a lot now but not every developer is like Rockstar. Will they listen to the media and remove/patch the level? Or will they, like Rockstar say 'f*ck it" and move on? There's no saying what could happen until the game does release. 

What can they do them anyway, its called freedom of expression, if the butthurt sensitive american media get upset , they cant do anything to stop the game expect more bitching and whining. Plus Rockstar has been through worse times, remember Hot Coffe , and they are still doing great .

• Bonnano and Cincy32 like this

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:04 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 26 January 2014 - 04:05 AM.

a video game is just a video game. people should stop exaggerating things and stop being too sensitive about things, it makes them a hypocrite

• Cincy32 likes this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

It would be a possibly touchy subject if the game was truly published.

However, I would play it. I don't have any personal losses or such that happened in 9/11 attacks (not trying to be a jerk to people who might have lost others in there, obviously there could have been something personal for me too) so I'm relatively good. It might make me feel a bit uneasy, just like the 'No Russian' mission from MW2, but that would be all.

If I took it a bit closer to me and had a terrorist attack in Finland and a game about that, then I might not play it. Maybe. Maybe I would... depending on how the event itself affected me.

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

As an American who remembers that day (I was in 5th grade history class) I would DEFINITELY play that game. Anyone remember JFK Reloaded? 40 years past that was a touchy subject (and a pretty bad game if the price point wasn't considered) but I flocked to it and had a great time with it (shooting the limo driver and seeing the limo crash into the grassy knoll at a high rate of speed ejecting the president and first lady was hilarious). No disrespect to those with loved ones who died in the attacks, but I would love if a 9/11 game offered the same sort of freedom for freestyle hilarity. For MANY people - myself included - lightheartedness and comedy are the BEST medicines for tragedy. My best friend died last summer and it still affects me greatly on a day-to-day basis but I rip jokes on him and his death whenever I can because it lightens the mood and I know that he would be laughing at them, too - we shared the same irreverent sense of humor. Thank god as an American we have the First Amendment that gives us the right to freedom of speech - even if that speech is comedy in the face of tragedy. If that was taken away then the 9/11 victims who died along with all our US veterans who sacrificed for us would have done so for nothing.

A game about 9/11 or with 9/11 as a part is long overdue. Think about it, what other event in the last quarter century has had such a drastic and lasting impact on US and world affairs? I just hope it's not taken too seriously and becomes overly zealous patriotic garbage.

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

Retired, have a life

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:21 PM Edited by RedBull FM, 26 January 2014 - 12:24 PM.

{edit]Sorry posted in wrong section

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Here's how I would do it:

I'd make a game about these attacks that have happened on different office buildings around the world. Pick 10 or 20 deadly ones. Make the environments looking nearly the same, a "criticism on the corporatization of people" would be your hook to sell the game to pretentious people. At first, you have no clue which attack you will be experiencing. You'll be given tasks like you were a normal worker, or can even vary the point of view (play as the janitor, the boss man, the cleaning lady, the coffee clerk etc), and you'd be given a random amount of time, depending on when you were placed on the situation, to try to find an escape route. The catch is: Your destiny is already set, and you're just a pawn in the hands of the world (lol criticism again, pretentious people will drool over this), so no matter what unique way you try to find to escape, it all ends up with your death, again to show how powerless we are in face of terrorism (man, even more artsy points!). Heck, really vary the time you're placed in the scene; when you load the 9/11 Level, you might be in the game for 5 minutes before the attack happens, or for a full hour experiencing the dread of anticipation before the attack happens. 

Cue video game awards. Call it "Exit Strategy" (lol war pun), to give those people even more stuff to circle-jerk about.

• Banana, ryuclan, Tyler and 4 others like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

It's a touchy subject, and if they do make it in a game, they need to treat it with a lot of attention and respect. Those who care won't matter and those who matter won't care.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Well there's been dozens of WWII games, why shouldn't there be one about the twin towers? Hell, we had f*cking Pearl Harbour in Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.

It would be pretty cool, they could make it like a survival horror/adventure game where you have to escape the burning tower. Not exactly sure how it could translate into a game though.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:03 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 27 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

I don't see this being any different of a matter than having movies based around 9/11.  And there have been at least three major popular movies, off the top of my head.

If it was a good game, I'd play it.  MW2 was a decent enough game, and that airport scene drove a certain amount of hatred for the antagonists of the game.  If the game had a setting similar to Medal of Honor (2010), where you're fighting in Operation Anaconda or similar operations in Afghanistan, and the opening scene depicted 9/11, then it would give a certain amount of motivation.

For me personally, I remember after 9/11, I was scrambling for some sort of release.  I had so much hatred in me for Osama Bin Laden, or whoever was responsible.  If I was two years older (I was 16 at the time), I would have enlisted in the army.  But what does a 16 year old do, you look to video games.  I played hours upon hours of Counter Strike on the CT side, which was funny enough, always packed after 9/11.  Just so I could imagine taking down terrorists.  Of course when I was done playing, nothing was solved and I still had that hatred.  If a game could illicit that sort of emotional response in a person, then I'd want to play it.

Of course the greater world would be outraged, because anyone over the age of 35 is under the impression that video games are for kids, and can only imagine that if 9/11 were in a video game that you are undoubtedly playing as terrorists, not that you're anything like what has been suggested in this topic, such as firefighters, or anyone on the other side of the coin.  Plus the media sees videogames as low hanging fruit, or an easy target to blow out of proportion.  It's getting better, though.  The biggest controversy of GTAV was that there are naked breasts, in the game, and unprepared parents.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

It would be great to experience it in a historically accurate eerie environment, being totally in awe of the scale of such an event. Nothing compares to that feeling. Though I doubt anyone would sign off on it unless it happens in the aftermath or a backdrop.

Stories of people finding separated spinal cords and body parts along with people jumping out of windows I think is too much for a game to have on it's shoulders, at least at this point in time. Though as a firefighter or emergency service worker in the direct aftermath discovering those things may not be as bad as witnessing them first hand.

Games lately really have grown apart from History. It would be nice if we got more games that we can actually learn from and take on understanding of events first hand, visually, to help educate people on a subject.

I would love to see a new WW2 game on next gen but done very respectfully and not a boring arcade shooter but reliving experiences people had during that time, to capture something unique.

But they will always ruin it. When you get silencers and red dot sights as options for WW2 rifles, you pretty much have killed any chances of historical accuracy.

You can thank CoD for that bullsh*t. 

• Braindawg likes this

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

See it's the gratitude the media grants the event that makes it offensive. People would rather let the media tell them how tragic an event is.

I bet soldiers who fought in WWII saw not only the spinal cords of their fellow fighters but other decapitated parts, guts and anything else that could come to mind. It doesn't take a jumper or a plane to decapitate someone. A simple Mark II grenade can do the job right.

So why would it be any different to put you in the shoes of a top floor south tower worker on September 11th, 2001, than a soldier, waiting to shore on 6 June 1944 during the Normandy landings?

I'm not saying Call of Duty is a proper representation for such an event, but they tend to do similar stuff, specially the early games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users