Vice City Nostalgia

68 replies to this topic
Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm sure there are many of us who have played/owned Vice City for ages now, and probably remember those sweet days very well. I thought we could all gather up in this topic and discuss the nostalgic aspects of the game.

Here are some of my best (or at least most epic) memories. Bear in mind, I was an innocent kid back then, who really didn't care about the story and didn't understand any two-minded jokes in the radio ads. tounge.gif

1. I was really scared of the chefs in the second mission. I even developed a small fear of yellow blips because I thought they might indicate chefs trying to kill me. Nowadays I find this quite funny in particular. biggrin.gif
2. I often liked to go to the pier next to the lighthouse and just punch people to make them run in fear into the water. If they fought back, I tried to do an epic finisher by kicking them straight into the water.
3. I laughed hysterically at some death animations resulting from Tommy's kicks, particularly that where he kicks a lying body a bit forward, or the one where he kicks a person a short distance away, they hold their crotch and fall down dead.
4. Whenever the radio was on, I listened to Emotion. It brings back some of the great memories, it's the only radio station in the world of GTA besides Chatterbox that I have heard from beginning to end... countless times. My favorite song was "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight". The best nostalgia comes from "Crockett's Theme" however.
5. Me and my friend once discovered a "ghost car" at the Leaf Links bridge. At nighttime, when looking at the bridge from near the golf club entrance, it clearly looked like there was a car on the bridge, but as we went closer, it had "disappeared". In reality it was just the blockades that somehow resembled a car.
6. I received a ton of cheat codes from my friend and uncle, and had countless amounts of fun with them, particularly the different skins and gun cheats. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to save with the "Bikini women with guns" cheat on, turning the Vercetti gang into chicks who wouldn't attack any rival gang members - for the rest of the game.
7. Sometimes I just gathered a large wanted level and held my ground at the lighthouse. My friend showed me that, pointing it out as an excellent "hideout". He also showed another, namely the rock formations in the beach that later turned out to be the setting for the RC Bandit Race.
8. I was massively disappointed due to the inability to enter Greasy Choppers. Even before I got to the west island, I was immediately hoping to get there at some point, and possibly play pool. Not until San Andreas though...
9. Another thing, the manual was extremely cool, particularly because it was in Finnish. Not like the ones for LCS and the titles after that, which were in English even for us. Having the manual in my native language really made everything easy to understand and get accustomed to. Too bad some of the features listed weren't actually in-game features, such as shark attacks... And it was also a shame they got rid of the cool-looking beta police cars that appeared in one of the manual's pics. sad.gif Oh, and the map also had some locations marked in my language, further helping with navigation, although I'm pretty sure I knew even back then what "lighthouse" or "mall" meant. tounge.gif

There we go, now it's your turn! smile.gif

Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

My nostalgia moments?

The whole damn game. inlove.gif
  • DeafMetal, ssbawesome and kronerer420 like this

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I have a lot memories with this game, well this is my all time favourite game after all. smile.gif Back in the old days I couldn't figire how can I enter car lol.gif seriously someone who installed VC on my PC reconfigured controls, so I couldn't enter car, so I was just walking around Vice city biggrin.gif yes it seems stupid I found right controls after few months, since then I started playing way way more before that I just played occasionally nothing big. I got addicted to this game in that time it was so much fun for me. I remember how some missions took me weeks to beat like Demnolition Man, Juju Scramble, Cop Land, back then I got frustrated very easily but eventually I got it. I still remember how I turned down volume when I was doing film studio missions with Candy Suxx, thanks god nobody saw me playing end of the G-Spotlight mission. lol.gif
One of the best things in this game is music. inlove.gif I remember days when I stayed in car just because my favourite song was still playing. Just like Carbonox I was listening to Emotion everytime too, probably Crockett's Theme was my favourite song. However most memorable song was probably 99 luftbaloons(hope I spelled it right) I liked this one too.
Because of my addition to game I discovered few very interesting things e.g I discovered way to get to Starfish island early, I just drove full speed with PCJ 600 against gate at Starfish island and I somehow got there. However I wasn't able to repeat it, still seeing Starfish early was really worth it. smile.gif
I have so much great memories with this game, I just love it. smile.gif

MyDog
  • MyDog

FC BARCELONA

• Members

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Getting into a car and thinking I'm untouchable...only to drive straight into water and die.

My first playthrough ever. inlove.gif

Alenko
  • Alenko

BEST IN THE WORLD.

• Members

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Before I actually started to appreciated a good GTA story, I remember back in the day all I did was beat people up and
kill cops. It was the sense of absolute freedom, the feeling that I can do anything without real consequences that felt so
appealing to me.

Then I discovered Tommy.... inlove.gif

PlaystationGamer266
  • PlaystationGamer266

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

That fat chick who walks on the beach in the bikini, seriously, me and my friends spent all day finding them and killing them ahahaa

they dropped alot of money 2

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Vice City is the first GTA i have ever played. VC is my 3rd favorite and also this game made me want to get into GTA series. Love the radio stations and the nostalgic feeling.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I remember turning the Rhino's turret around and firing to make it go faster. I think I found that out before anyone else did! sly.gif

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:35 PM Edited by lol232, 28 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

Jumping from a Bridge to a Rio, ditto but into a Predator (I used to call it: "The Shooting Boat", later a called it the Cop boat, and later I finally knew what Predator meant lol.gif)
Beheading people in the North Point Mall, falling from a bridge and drowning (Miss aiming the fall on a boat lol.gif),
Wondering how come he can "Swim" in the El Swanko Casa's pool but not not be able to swim in the normal water (I was an idiot lol.gif) and dicking around with a Rhino...
My First GTA Moments...

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

CJ is the Pope

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Jumping on the backs of cars and tossing grenades behind me as they sped on. Good times.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

This gonna come back when I download it off PSN

SnowWolve
  • SnowWolve

Riely

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

best was when i first played vice city.All i wanted was to drive the motorcyles and explore miami and have the army after me.Also i loved flying the skimmer around and hitting people with it

markwey
  • markwey

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Driving a car or a boat in a sunset listening to "Crockett's Theme".
Doesn't get any better than that. tounge2.gif
No other video game has given me the kind of a feeling like playing Vice City has.
And no other video game ever will.

I ♥ Vice City
inlove.gif

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Friday, Jan 18 2013, 23:06)
My nostalgia moments?

^This...

Anyways there was a lotta nostalgic things..
  • When I first played it I jumped into a canal thinking that I can swim. Took me sometime to know that you can't do it in Vice City
  • In 2007 March, I went on a chainsaw rampage. Bloody hell. Was my first rampage
  • GETTHEREVERYFAST.. smile.gif
  • Tommy inlove.gif
  • The stubby shotgun inlove.gif

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Saturday, Jan 19 2013, 04:36)
My nostalgia moments?

user posted image

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Markwey @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 13:11)
Driving a car or a boat in a sunset listening to "Crockett's Theme".
Doesn't get any better than that. tounge2.gif
No other video game has given me the kind of a feeling like playing Vice City has.
And no other video game ever will.

I ♥ Vice City
inlove.gif

This.

TheFIREFLY
  • TheFIREFLY

Wanderer

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

driving oceanic on the beach and listening to vcpr

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

When I first played VC, I enjoyed just running around the beach and stabbing everyone to death.

Apex.
  • Apex.

I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I remember I listened to V-Rock all the time, then because the stations are next to each other, I started listening to VCPR, and got completely hooked and did everything with VCPR on. biggrin.gif Also I think this story was my first post on GTAF, because it was a nostalgia thread, but I remember once I was doing the Taxi missions, got to a pretty high level, trying to get to 100 fares, was doing it for hours, I ran over someone and I hit the motherload, there was money everywhere, so I got out and it cancelled the mission. mad.gif

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Getting into a car once the first mission started and being surprised that they had songs from known bands on the radio stations. I was really psyched once I heard Anthrax on V-Rock.

moonwalk
  • moonwalk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yeah.. GTA 3 and VC brings such nice memories.. However, the radio stations of VC were so great

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

One of my favorite moments was when I first played it and watched the introduction (the ambush) and how I got in the Faggio at the beginning and drove to Ocean Beach and how I cruised Vice Beach with Tommy wearing that Hawaiian shirt..... inlove.gif inlove.gif

MateoCk
  • MateoCk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Vice City one of my favourite video games first I played gta san andreas and I was looking for vice city but I couldn't find It so then I find out Vice City Stories after I played gta III and Liberty City Stories (LCS amazing graphics <3) and after all the gta I find vice city I was so suprized whe I saw it at the store when I try it in the first time I didn't do missions but driving around the city and killing pedestrians xD then I started missions and my favourite was cop land cause It give me the cop outfit and I liked it but I was dissapointed when the mission end and I didn't have it and I must go again back at the department to take it I was so glad with that game but I never finished it I have completed all the missions but I couldn't find the last I didn't no that I must buy the print work property and malibu club sad.gif ..
And now I started it again and I am at the last mission of print works xD but I liked much the game when I was playing for my first time :'))

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

When I found out that they had a monster truck called the Sandking, when I could do Stock Car races, and the Scarface-themed story line. I love most when it first came out, there was this local video store who had it. It shocked me at first too, since the video store only had older games for the PS2 and Dreamcast, so for them to have the latest GTA in a small store was amazing. I grabbed it and played it to the bone. I never really did the missions, but once I did it was like another faction opened up. Vice City to this day stays my favorite GTA to be created. Just the atmosphere, soundtrack, vehicle selection, weapon selection, wardrobe, and actors. It was like a Hollywood movie you could control.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:54 AM Edited by GTAKid667, 20 May 2013 - 06:17 PM.

The Best Moment:

1. Put GTA Vice City disk into PS2, XBOX or PC
2. Sit Down (If not already)
3. Watch the Opening Intro

mariano1239
  • mariano1239

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:02 PM Edited by mariano1239, 22 May 2013 - 05:06 PM.

I remember when ago in 2003-04 when my parents bought me a ps2, i was 10-11, dont remember, well, the console came with gran turismo 4 and gta vice city, i remember playing vc for the first time, in that time i didn't know english so i was totally lost, so i just mess around with tommy, punching cars and people.

My nostalgia moment is when a few days after i picked up an ambulance, took it to the pier 2, destroy the tree in the left of the cheetah, drop the ambulance to water, get out of the ambulance before it fall and jump over its roof, then jump to the pier again and pick up a boat, lol, i think that was pretty smart for that age haha.
i know, my enlgish still sucks, sorry.

And another nostalgia moment is when i discovered Quiet Riot in V Rock, now thanks to that game is one of my favorite bands.

Autopilot
  • Autopilot

Broke

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

So many times while driving I just stopped whatever I was doing and just parked the car for a long time while listening to VCPR. Still the best GTA talk station IMO.

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

I remember when I first got the game, along with GTA III. I drove around the island, running over people. I didn't have a memory card for my PS2 at the time so I only played this game every now and then but never did the story. My mom would play it herself as well but she always caught the vehicle on fire and had Tommy die. Later on, I actually started to do the story and I loved it!

I was scared of the chefs from Back Alley Brawl also. The first time I did that mission, I got Lance's car on fire and killed Tommy.

The game introduced me to older music and started my love for older music.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Oh, I remember the first moments very well. inlove.gif

After I played San Andreas (and that was my first GTA), I was eager to play GTA Vice City. Started searching for it in June 2009 - found it in Late October 2009. Got it from my physics teacher in school - apparently, he was playing it at that time.

I remember when I came home - eager and anxious, got the game installed on my PC and played it for the first time... The intro, the opening cutscenes, the 80s music, a tropic city... It all made me instantly love the game...

As I have already played SA before, I knew that there would be things needed to do in order to achieve 100%. So after 3 first missions I started getting around the city looking for Hidden Packages and Unique Jumps. I wasn't very successful at first, as I felt myself like "WTF? Where am I?". But then I started getting familiar with the city more or less, and soon knew the island map very well.

Back then, in the beginning, I always wondered what lay behind the closed bridges, on the other side. But I didn't bother rushing trough missions to unlock other islands - I wanted to enjoy myself in this game as much as I could.

Oh, and one more thing: as I said before, I played SA before VC, so I was more or less careless when driving - and when I would end up in the water, I wondered why Tommy couldn't swim out. Then I tried to reach the locked islands once or twice, and firmly jumped in the water - only tp find that Tommy drowns as a result. Felt like "WTF???".
And then, some time later, I realised that swimming is actually absent from VC - that was when I read that SA had swimming as one of its new features.

I still like the game, although I don't love it so much as I do VCS.

But still, playing it brings back the memories... inlove.gif
...And the smell of my new sofa (several days before I got the game, my family bought a new sofa into my room... And it still had its smell from the factory... Now it associates with VC - even though the smell itself is now long gone) tounge2.gif

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

yeah its my 1st game when i got on my birthday smile.gif <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users