I dont get why GTA4 gets criticized for being too "dark"

64 replies to this topic
wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Its the theme of the games city, New York City (LC) if Niko moved to LS instead, he proabably wouldn't live such a bad life.. LC is where hell is opened to people. It changed Niko Inside out, when he escaped his past life. I like the dark gritty theme to it. But I also like the Sunny sprawling sunset GTA V has... Lets see what GTA VI will do with Vice City. 

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Its the theme of the games city, New York City (LC) if Niko moved to LS instead, he proabably wouldn't live such a bad life.. LC is where hell is opened to people. It changed Niko Inside out, when he escaped his past life. I like the dark gritty theme to it. But I also like the Sunny sprawling sunset GTA V has... Lets see what GTA VI will do with Vice City. 

who says VI is gonna be in Vice City?

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

It's just a stupid assumption everyone has made since we haven't had Vice City in HD yet. Before IV, everybody thought the next game would be in Detroit. Before V, everybody thought that the next game would be in Vice City. Just goes to show that the assumptions by fans don't go anywhere.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:09 AM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 13 May 2014 - 04:32 AM.

Picture an audience of vapid, ornery 12-18 year olds. They're anal-retentive, their attention spans are short, and they line up to buy the new Call of Duty every year.

This is the majority of people who play video games. The people who jetpack around Grove Street with god mode.

Nobody appreciates a good story anymore, sad to say.

• namor, Tikhung and Niobium like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

And if I may quote Official General on the GTA V audience... 

f336125b6750b4204a744d0c2ee4757c.png

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Picture an audience of vapid, ornery 12-18 year olds. They're anal-retentive, their attention spams are short, and they line up to buy the new Call of Duty every year.
This is the majority of people who play video games. The people who jetpack around Grove Street with god mode.

Eh, I think it's the other way around. Not in the sense that I want to beat up an elderly man with a double ended dildo, but that games rely on story to much nowadays. Think of it this way.

(Before) Game Designer 1: sh*t! We've created an action packed game with plenty of gameplay but with no story! What are we gonna do???
Game Desigmer 2: Who cares? Just throw in a simple story about a dude on a quest or some sh*t! It's a game, not a book!

(Now) Game Designer 1: OK! So we've written our long and tedious emotion-ridden story, our game is good to go!
Game Designer 2: But sir, what about gameplay?
Game Designer 1: Gameplay? Who cares about that? Just throw In a few QuickTime events.

Granted there are games out there who pull of both of these aspects well. (GTA IV) but there are still plenty of companies out there who appeal to the casuals.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Picture an audience of vapid, ornery 12-18 year olds. They're anal-retentive, their attention spams are short, and they line up to buy the new Call of Duty every year.

Eh, I think it's the other way around. Not in the sense that I want to beat up an elderly man with a double ended dildo, but that games rely on story to much nowadays. Think of it this way.

(Before) Game Designer 1: sh*t! We've created an action packed game with plenty of gameplay but with no story! What are we gonna do???
Game Desigmer 2: Who cares? Just throw in a simple story about a dude on a quest or some sh*t! It's a game, not a book!

(Now) Game Designer 1: OK! So we've written our long and tedious emotion-ridden story, our game is good to go!
Game Designer 1: Gameplay? Who cares about that? Just throw In a few QuickTime events.

Granted there are games out there who pull of both of these aspects well. (GTA IV) but there are still plenty of companies out there who appeal to the casuals.

I just can't think of any game with a GOOD story that was a drag gameplay wise. If it's a good story, it consequently makes the gameplay immerse and interesting.

There's really not a lot of mechanics in one of the modern pinnacles of story-telling games, Telltale's Walking Dead (Yeah, everyone kisses this game's ass, but for good reason I'd like to think.)

And also, it's disappointing R* has proved they can write a great story AND game several times over, partly what disappointed me so hard about GTA V.

GTA IV, TLaD, Red Dead, L.A. Noire (which, yeah, it was glitzy and up-and-coming Los Angeles, BUT it captured the gritty crime aspect of it very well), the Max Payne franchise.

I mean, name a game better than Red Dead muthaf*ckin' Redemption, I DARE YOU!

• themanbun likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:13 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 27 January 2014 - 03:21 AM.

Actually, do you remember the times before everyone started to judge games because of their stories? Let's be honest, if SA was released during this time, it would get a lot more hate than it already has.

Oh god, Kevin VanOrd on Gamespot would give it a 4.5/10. Kevin VanOrd is the perfect example of a story whore (I know that people get annoyed by this term, but it is not aimed at GTA IV fans in any way), he said that Metal Gear Solid 4 had a 'brilliant mixture of storytelling and gameplay', and anyone with a crayon shoved into their brain would know 4 hours of gameplay and 16 hours of cutscenes is not a brilliant mixture.

(Before)Game Designer 1: sh*t! We've created an action packed game with plenty of gameplay but with no story! What are we gonna do???

Sounds about right, i'm pretty sure that Mass Effect 2 was designed like that, except with awful combat and narrow repetitive levels instead of QTE's.

I just can't think of any game with a GOOD story that was a drag gameplay wise. If it's a good story, it consequently makes the gameplay immerse and interesting.

There's really not a lot of mechanics in one of the modern pinnacles of story-telling games, Telltale's Walking Dead (Yeah, everyone kisses this game's ass, but for good reason I'd like to think.)

And also, it's disappointing R* has proved they can write a great story AND game several times over, partly what disappointed me so hard about GTA V.

GTA IV, TLaD, Red Dead, L.A. Noire (which, yeah, it was glitzy and up-and-coming Los Angeles, BUT it captured the gritty crime aspect of it very well), the Max Payne franchise.

I mean, name a game better than Red Dead muthaf*ckin' Redemption, I DARE YOU!

Mass Effect 2's story could not save the game from being a repetitive bore-fest, I could not bear to play that game for more than 30 minutes to an hour because the gameplay was so boring and repetitive, regardless of story, a game story can only take a game further if the gameplay is strong enough to support it, boring gameplay = boring game.

And Rockstar have never been able to tell a story as deep as Niko Belic's or John Marston's tale in a game with a GTA V level of gameplay quality and variety.

And for me GTA V is better than Red Dead Redemption, I still love RDR though, it was my personal GOTY for 2010.

To answer the actual question, I have many criticisms of GTA IV (no planes, poor vehicle variety, no mission variety, friendships/dating, etc), but the 'too dark' criticism is one I have never understood myself as it was part of the games theme. As mentioned, Liberty City was meant to be portrayed as the worst place in America. The game's theme isn't the reason why the game was disappointing for me (I wouldn't mind seeing a game with dark theme and GTA V quality gameplay, but that would be hard to master), it was a combination of lazy game design and sacrificing gameplay for story (in this case, the story got in the way of mission variety).

TL,DR: Read it, you joined a forum website, you should have been expecting to read stuff.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

I don't really see whats too dark about the story. There are no real but real twisted moments on it. And I kinda understand why the atmosphere would be gritty, its Fall for christ's sake.

I wasn't bothered one bit by it, however I liked III's better.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

I didn't like it due to it being way to slow. The facial expressions didn't make up for all the long pauses in the cutscenes. From the cutscenes I watched, you start on a boat smuggling diamonds into the country to avoid conflict to get revenge on some dude who did something in the army, by "protecting" your dumbass cousin....

there where just to many small drive here do nothing missions as if the tutorial was spread over the first 20 missions

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

I didn't like it due to it being way to slow. The facial expressions didn't make up for all the long pauses in the cutscenes. From the cutscenes I watched, you start on a boat smuggling diamonds into the country to avoid conflict to get revenge on some dude who did something in the army, by "protecting" your dumbass cousin....

there where just to many small drive here do nothing missions as if the tutorial was spread over the first 20 missions

Yet, there were a decent number of missions in V which were just as repetative. The heist preps for example, each one of those was just steal a vehicle, drive it to said location, mission done. And then there were missions like Hang Ten or Reuniting the Family, which were nothing but drive to point A, then to point B and end when you reach point C.
  • TheOtherRyan likes this

Erick132
  • Erick132

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

I don't criticize it for being too dark. I criticize it because it's repetitive at moments and the main character is sometimes hypocritical.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

I don't criticize it for being too dark. I criticize it because it's repetitive at moments and the main character is sometimes hypocritical.

V had the exact same issues

Yet, there were a decent number of missions in V which were just as repetative. The heist preps for example, each one of those was just steal a vehicle, drive it to said location, mission done. And then there were missions like Hang Ten or Reuniting the Family, which were nothing but drive to point A, then to point B and end when you reach point C.

Not to mention Franklins god awful towtruck missions

• Erick132 likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

How about "Scouting The Port'? My god I hate this mission so much. I'd rather bowl with Michelle or help Dimitri go to the sex shop and teach Joseph a lesson. At least weapon shops are unlocked via the latter.

To me Scouting the Port is the most tedious and boring mission in the series. *Long drive to docks, tediously moving containers with a handler and a crane, take some photos, drive truck to warehouse, get manifest and another long drive back to Floyd's apartment* and the worst thing is this is one of the longest missions in the game.

At least most of GTA IV's missions even if they're not the most exciting don't drag on for 20+ minutes. I dred doing this mission anytime I start a save of GTA V out of fear I'll be bored to death.

I also believe "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" would be universally hated if it wasn't for Michael's epiphany. It's a very tedious mission otherwise. This is pretty much the equilvalent to "First Date" in GTA IV, but you could skip the bowling game if you wanted to. Can't do that in this. IMO this mission is extremely overrated.

I give GTA V the benefit for not being quite as repetitive, but when people claim no mission is boring and every mission is diverse and packed with action it makes me want to place shotgun under my chin.
  • DonkeyEatingCheese, Ermac, Katve and 3 others like this

DonkeyEatingCheese
  • DonkeyEatingCheese

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

@SonOfLiberty : Those two missions are the worst in the game. I hate them. While I do agree not every mission is amazing, they were still more varied than IV's.

About the grittiness, I liked it. It fit in well. Also, I did not feel the story was dark, I don't know why people complain about it. I guess they are just used to the Saints Row style over the top craziness that was in SA.

BTW, who's up for the next GTA to be set in Liberty City once again? I know I am. I mean, sure there won't be much diversity in the terrain, but they could add season changes which would be amazing. I can already imagine LC in a snowstorm, or the fall once again. Also, I would want the story to be more dark and depressing

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:49 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 27 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

How about "Scouting The Port'? My god I hate this mission so much. I'd rather bowl with Michelle or help Dimitri go to the sex shop and teach Joseph a lesson. At least weapon shops are unlocked via the latter.

To me Scouting the Port is the most tedious and boring mission in the series. *Long drive to docks, tediously moving containers with a handler and a crane, take some photos, drive truck to warehouse, get manifest and another long drive back to Floyd's apartment* and the worst thing is this is one of the longest missions in the game.

At least most of GTA IV's missions even if they're not the most exciting don't drag on for 20+ minutes. I dred doing this mission anytime I start a save of GTA V out of fear I'll be bored to death.

I also believe "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" would be universally hated if it wasn't for Michael's epiphany. It's a very tedious mission otherwise. This is pretty much the equilvalent to "First Date" in GTA IV, but you could skip the bowling game if you wanted to. Can't do that in this. IMO this mission is extremely overrated.

I give GTA V the benefit for not being quite as repetitive, but when people claim no mission is boring and every mission is diverse and packed with action it makes me want to place shotgun under my chin.

Those two missions were probably the worst I've ever played in any GTA game, how did R* think any of that sh*t could possibly be fun, I just dont get it. Would rather play 10games of bowling with Roman rather than doing that sh*t again

• Niobium likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Dude why the f*ck would it not be in Vice City? We already got the 2 main Cities, LC and LS (well San andreas but whatever) VC is the only one left that is a part of the main cities. We might see a new one. Start think instead of trying to insult someone 

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:42 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 27 January 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Dude why the f*ck would it not be in Vice City? We already got the 2 main Cities, LC and LS (well San andreas but whatever) VC is the only one left that is a part of the main cities. We might see a new one. Start think instead of trying to insult someone 

They could still easily do SF or LV, they have multiple options outside of VC. And where the f*ck did I insult you?

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

@thatguyyy What you don't understand from what he said? it's VICE CITY. The next GTA will be (99%) in Vice City. VIce City.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

They could still easily do SF or LV, they have multiple options outside of VC. And where the f*ck did I insult you?

Sry I wrote wrong but why would they go with LV or SF if they are smaller? VC is obviously gunna be in GTA VI, it has to. I am not trying to say that I am gunna comeback 5/6 years later to this thread (If gta VI is even gunna happen or come out in 5/6 years) And tell you that it was in VC. I am just saying, like why not..? Its kind of obvious now. 

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Some people feel that GTA IV lacked the humor that the series is well known for, and that it wasn't a great direction to take the series. Another possible problem is that things got too dark, and caused what TVtropes refers to as Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. And there's also a bit of a disconnect between the player who loves being a criminal, and Niko, who doesn't. Other protagonists don't necessarily make you feel bad for playing the criminal.

You all disagree, and that's fine. I don't feel strongly about it myself. But I feel the people in this topic are being too dismissive, and aren't trying to genuinely understand the critic's point of view.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:47 AM

I've never felt any disconnect between myself and playing as Niko. In fact I've always found this criticism to be quite blown out of proportion and exaggerated to be honest.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

BTW, who's up for the next GTA to be set in Liberty City once again? I know I am. I mean, sure there won't be much diversity in the terrain, but they could add season changes which would be amazing. I can already imagine LC in a snowstorm, or the fall once again. Also, I would want the story to be more dark and depressing

Despite New York being an overused setting in games and movies, I wouldn't mind seeing Liberty City again assuming the gameplay is of the same (or better considering it will be on next gen consoles) quality as GTA V. Many people blame GTA IV's gameplay shortcomings on the setting, but I call bullsh*t on that as it just requires more creativity and ambition. Take vehicle variety for example, I would say that x vehicle is not in GTA IV, and someone would say that is because it doesn't fit into the setting, on that logic, we should only have generic cars, vehicles such as the Caddy, Kart, Bulldozer, Mower, and type of plane, Tow Truck, Coach, Tourbus, any type of bicycle, etc would fit in just fine, other vehicles like the Tractor, Fieldsmaster, Combine Harvester, etc which would normally be out of place could spawn at shipping areas (it could appear as though they are about to be put into a shipping container) or farming stories in boroughs outside of Manhattan. Animals are another, I saw on a recent topic where someone said that animals would not fit into the game, that is wrong, because I heard somewhere that there is a zoo in central park. Talking about this makes me wish that I was in charge of the development of an open world game set in New York so I could show people that a lot more could be done with an overused setting.

• DonkeyEatingCheese likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Speaking of vehicle variety I wonder why bicycles never made it to the game ? Isn't this a common mode of transportation in NYC?

My guess could be due to the physics which let's face it were atrocious in SA. Only talking about bicycles btw.

In saying that I agree it could've used with some more kinds. Planes is a tough one to me. I wouldn't have minded some seaplanes or a small plane like the dodo, but no passenger planes like a Boeing 747 or a fighter jet.

The map isn't designed to accommodate such air transportation IMO.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:34 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 30 January 2014 - 07:31 AM.

Some people feel that GTA IV lacked the humor that the series is well known for, and that it wasn't a great direction to take the series. Another possible problem is that things got too dark, and caused what TVtropes refers to as Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. And there's also a bit of a disconnect between the player who loves being a criminal, and Niko, who doesn't. Other protagonists don't necessarily make you feel bad for playing the criminal.

You all disagree, and that's fine. I don't feel strongly about it myself. But I feel the people in this topic are being too dismissive, and aren't trying to genuinely understand the critic's point of view.

I don't understand how players can relate to psychopathic killers but have issues with relating to Niko, who is the most human protag GTA has ever had

Makes no sense to me. Claude was a robot, Tommy was a psychopath, CJ/Franklin didnt have a character, and Trevor was Trevor

The reason why Niko and Michael are my favorite protags is because they are the most human, I can relate to their issues on some level

Speaking of vehicle variety I wonder why bicycles never made it to the game ? Isn't this a common mode of transportation in NYC?

My guess could be due to the physics which let's face it were atrocious in SA. Only talking about bicycles btw.

In saying that I agree it could've used with some more kinds. Planes is a tough one to me. I wouldn't have minded some seaplanes or a small plane like the dodo, but no passenger planes like a Boeing 747 or a fighter jet.

Small planes would have been good in IV, but I agree, flying jumbo jets in IV wouldn't make much sense considering how small the map is, and the fact that there's only one airport

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Rockstar did not put much effort at all into vehicles in GTA IV, that is why you could not even obtain the Police Maverick without sniping exploits. As for planes, GTA IV's map may have not been designed for 747s but if Liberty City was used again, their would be a new map to both keep things fresh and take advantage of next gen consoles, a map similar to the one LibertyKing is making on the Mapmaking topic would allow for larger aircraft. And with next gen power, we will finally be able to have a map the size of GTA V's with more interiors.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:29 PM Edited by StingrayX, 04 February 2014 - 09:31 PM.

OP, you hit the nail on the head. :^: It does seem like all people want today is vibrancy and over-the-top bullsh*t, especially after San Andreas which was one of the main reasons why people were so harsh on IV, at least in my opinion.

IVs gritty atmosphere and gloomy color pallet were one of my favorite things about IV. It brought Liberty City to life and helped it feel like how New York would be perceived from a foreigner who's never been there before. I enjoy the atmosphere of this game at most when it is autumn or winter as that is when the weather here does get gloomier.

What people need to understand is the simple fact that the tone of IV was a clever way to get people immersed with the more serious storyline. A happy, vibrant atmosphere would make IV feel too superficial like V, which albeit needed a vibrant location it had been too overdone. Its not like everything is gloomy however. The street dialogue is some of the funniest since III and is more humorous and lively than what you hear from the Los Santos pedestrians in V.

I felt Rockstar did their best to make sure the atmospheres of vanilla IV, TLaD, and TBoGT fit very well for what they were based around. TBoGT was focused around a club-esque guy's over the top party life and a more vibrant atmosphere was created for that. It felt weird to see LC in a more vibrant manner but well, it was needed.

The people who bash IV for its vibe like they expected it to be happy-sunshine are one of the few people with their own opinions that I am okay with classifying as morons.
  • TheOtherRyan, A-Wax8, thatGuyyy and 1 other like this

SentinelXSVCS22
  • SentinelXSVCS22

LC IV

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I prefer IV's gritty setting and unique  characters and story to V by a mile. 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

OP, you hit the nail on the head. :^: It does seem like all people want today is vibrancy and over-the-top bullsh*t, especially after San Andreas which was one of the main reasons why people were so harsh on IV, at least in my opinion.

IVs gritty atmosphere and gloomy color pallet were one of my favorite things about IV. It brought Liberty City to life and helped it feel like how New York would be perceived from a foreigner who's never been there before. I enjoy the atmosphere of this game at most when it is autumn or winter as that is when the weather here does get gloomier.

What people need to understand is the simple fact that the tone of IV was a clever way to get people immersed with the more serious storyline. A happy, vibrant atmosphere would make IV feel too superficial like V, which albeit needed a vibrant location it had been too overdone. Its not like everything is gloomy however. The street dialogue is some of the funniest since III and is more humorous and lively than what you hear from the Los Santos pedestrians in V.

I felt Rockstar did their best to make sure the atmospheres of vanilla IV, TLaD, and TBoGT fit very well for what they were based around. TBoGT was focused around a club-esque guy's over the top party life and a more vibrant atmosphere was created for that. It felt weird to see LC in a more vibrant manner but well, it was needed.

The people who bash IV for its vibe like they expected it to be happy-sunshine are one of the few people with their own opinions that I am okay with classifying as morons.

Agreed. Even TBOGT doesn't feel as fake and superficial as what GTA V does.

• namor likes this

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:09 PM Edited by TheUnholy, 21 February 2014 - 06:15 PM.

You're goddamn right, my OP friend. Many people didn't like GTA IV because they bullshat by saying "Liberty City... Athmosphere too dark... Rainy and cloudy... Meh." besides some people formed a judgement to a new, "where sun always shines" Vice City game by using this "excuse". I'm not disrespecting the people who wants a new generation Vice City (I'd like to see a Vice City game but if there isn't, I wouldn't care too much) or people who likes Vice City, I'm just telling it's stupid to disrespect or dislike Liberty City for not being shiny, elegany, flashy like Vice City. It's New York while it's Miami on the other hand. That's it!

Maybe a little bit irrelevant to topic but other thing some people have bullshat about GTA IV was not having a good story (Yeah, some people said it. Believe me). Some people saw GTA IV as a story about "a no-brained immigrant who jumped out of the boat and put his feet to the soil of America", "That's it!" or "That's it?". I think İit's the latter; most of the people who thought like that must have played the game while closing their eyes and plugging their earholes. Niko, surely, was not a no-brained or no-balls character, he is the best-built protag in the GTA series IMO. 

About the dark, gritty atmosphere of Liberty City, it was what has made Liberty City itself. I liked that gritty, dark atmosphere in GTA III as well and I have been happy to live that atmosphere again. Also like people above said, a dark atmosphere was the most suitable one for a character such as Niko. I wouldn't imagine if Niko was a protagonist of a game whose setting is something shiny, flashy and sunny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users