Photo

I dont get why GTA4 gets criticized for being too "dark"

64 replies to this topic
thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Its a game based on crime, its essentially a crime drama. Its not supposed to be sunshine and rainbows, its about how tough it is trying to make a living in a foreign land where crime is your only option. Its supposed to be gritty, raw, and realistic. I love how it doesn't falsely glorify crime like other gta titles including V. I feel like I'm a real world criminal when I'm playing this game, stuck in a dark cold world. I can feel Niko's depression throughout the game, Sure V is fun, but I never really felt like a true criminal and everything felt too fake and happy, nothing I did in the game gave me an emotional impact like IV did

You dont criticise crime dramas like The Godfather or The Sopranos for being too dark and serious, so I don't see why IV gets all the hate

It'd be extremely boring if every GTA was sunny and light hearted

• SonOfLiberty, lol232, GTAKid667 and 20 others like this

G D
  • G D

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

It's because the world is populated with idiots.

Apparently, (according to them) IV is the worst game ever. Even if they hate it that much they can't say it's one of the worst, because even if it was below average (not even close) there are way more POS games out there, but they were to much of an idiots to even notice them or aknowledge their bad, I f*cking hate those f*cking morons who in general say "X is the worst game/movie/song/etc ever. Because I hate it!!!!1"

There's your answer.
  • dro0001, The_Anti-tragedy, Sting4S and 2 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I wish I could keep hitting the like button. Oh well.

Agreed 110%. Personally I love GTA IV's dark and gritty atmosphere. I know how you feel about GTA V not feeling like a criminal.

With GTA IV I feel Niko's struggles with everything that's going on around him. Walking into derelict project building with hobos sleeping on the floor, damaged walls, crack pipes, piss stained mattresses etc really puts into perspective of what kind of sh*thole he's trying to survive in.

I don't know what people were expecting. Liberty City has always been portrayed as the worst place in America. It's not meant to be a happy place.

GTA III seems to get away with it even though in ways it's probably darker and unpleasing, but GTA IV has always been in the line of fire of criticism for being too dark and depressing.

Anyway what else can you do? It seems most fans want sunshine and happiness all round.
  • sqre, rotipuj, Jeansowaty and 3 others like this

G˙nZinEss
  • G˙nZinEss

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Now that you mention it, gtaIII LC was depressing and gritty aswell, but maybe that is why i love it.
  • Neonic9 likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

everything felt too fake and happy

Well, it's set in LA/LS - that might explain it. 

• Neonic9 likes this

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well, mainly because it is something new. Gta has always been a happy and humorous game. Then, IV came along and was dark and gritty. Don't get me wrong, I love IV and it's my second favourite Gta game. (Second to V, of course).

If there was something R* learnt from IV, it's that people hate change.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's simple, there are a large portion of GTA Fans (who people who claim to be GTA fans just because they've played SA, IV and V) who started with San Andreas and that's what they think GTA is. They don't see it as the crime game it is. They see it as a criminal living in a sunny paradise getting themselves ball deep in government conspiracies with jetpacks, jumping out of planes 24/7, working out and spending their hard earned cash on pink afros.
  • dro0001, sqre, lol232 and 8 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think the same consideration should be given to LC/NYC. I never felt happy and cheerful watching Donnie Brasco or American Gangster for example.

As far as crime goes R* wanted a more authentic representation of NYC and every crime film I've ever seen based in NYC portrays it in a similar way to what GTA IV does. I mean think about it how many crime dramas/thrillers set in NYC are during summer and have happy endings?

As I said before Liberty City has always been portrayed as the worst place in America. It was the case in GTA 1, GTA III and GTA IV was always going to follow suite.

All I can say is if people don't like a dark and gritty setting they better hope R* never do Carcer City anytime soon.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

All I can say is if people don't like a dark and gritty setting they better hope R* never do Carcer City anytime soon.

I hope they do make Carcer City. Then, people will complain about that city being too dark and gritty and say that LC is much better.  :p

BTW, I miss your old avatar. The "Mother of God" one. :p

• Drunken Cowboy and matajuegos01 like this

Dr. Ray De Angelo Harris
  • Dr. Ray De Angelo Harris

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:26 PM Edited by Dr. Ray De Angelo Harris, 24 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

IV´s dark and gritty atmosphere is exactly the reason, why I love this game. It really feels like trying to survive in a sh*thole full of crime, hostility and hypocrisy.

I also love V (but for other reasons), but this week I started my first IV playthrough since V was released and it felt like "coming home", as soon as Dave shouted: "Daddy´s back you bitches!". :lol: Even driving is working out again (I have to admit that I constantly crashed into things during the first 30 minutes of playing, V´s driving is really too arcadish).

• sqre and namor like this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 24 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

I think the same consideration should be given to LC/NYC. I never felt happy and cheerful watching Donnie Brasco or American Gangster for example.

As far as crime goes R* wanted a more authentic representation of NYC and every crime film I've ever seen based in NYC portrays it in a similar way to what GTA IV does. I mean think about it how many crime dramas/thrillers set in NYC are during summer and have happy endings?

As I said before Liberty City has always been portrayed as the worst place in America. It was the case in GTA 1, GTA III and GTA IV was always going to follow suite.

Exactly, NYC isn't a place meant for happy endings, and IV perfectly portrayed that. I like how R* turned to realism and finally portrayed a life of crime as how it usually is in real life; depressing, tough, sad and lonely. Every decision you made in IV had a major impact, just like how it would in the world of crime. I don't know why people expected SA 2.0. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if Niko was base jumping out of jumbo jets and beating up pedestrians with pink dildo's, it doesn't fit the realistic narrative at all. IV is authentic because it avoids all the cheap gimmicks SA had (I loved SA dont get me wrong). Unfortunately, R* returned to the same arcade style formula in V with sunshine and over the top action which would never work in the real world. V is a great game too, but I wish R* kept heading in the direction that IV started, more realistic, mature and darker dramas instead of trying to appeal to the 12yr old Saints Row fanbase.

I recently started a new playthrough of IV and I forgot how good it felt being a low ranking criminal, V felt too much like a B-Class Hollywood action movie. I really hope the VI isn't set in Vice City because it would be too similar to LS. Carcer City would be awesome, anywhere in the midwest would be great, maybe even somewhere in North Yankton

• SonOfLiberty, Mr. Jago and matajuegos01 like this

nobum62
  • nobum62

douchebag who owns a chromed zentorno

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

IV and TLAD FTW. SA, ans VC were not dark but at least they had some seriousness to them. V's story felt... meh...
  • SonOfLiberty, sqre, tikhung01 and 1 other like this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:40 PM Edited by AnDReJ98, 24 January 2014 - 10:35 PM.

I also couldn't understand why it gets criticized because of dark atmosphere, when it perfectly fits into the story and Niko's emotions. Plus, NYC is also dark so why people would not like it to be dark in LC, since LC is based on NYC. For me, it never bothered me. I liked it.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Exactly, NYC isn't a place meant for happy endings, and IV perfectly portrayed that. I like how R* turned to realism and finally portrayed a life of crime as how it usually is in real life; depressing, tough, sad and lonely. Every decision you made in IV had a major impact, just like how it would in the world of crime. I don't know why people expected SA 2.0. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if Niko was base jumping out of jumbo jets and beating up pedestrians with pink dildo's, it doesn't fit the realistic narrative at all. IV is authentic because it avoids all the cheap gimmicks SA had (I loved SA dont get me wrong). Unfortunately, R* returned to the same arcade style formula in V with sunshine and over the top action which would never work in the real world. V is a great game too, but I wish R* kept heading in the direction that IV started, more realistic, mature and darker dramas instead of trying to appeal to the 12yr old Saints Row fanbase.

I recently started a new playthrough of IV and I forgot how good it felt being a low ranking criminal, V felt too much like a B-Class Hollywood action movie. I really hope the VI isn't set in Vice City because it would be too similar to LS. Carcer City would be awesome, anywhere in the midwest would be great, maybe even somewhere in North Yankton

To be fair I can understand why R* went the direction they did with GTA V. That's what the masses want, but I'll always love/appreciate GTA IV because it sticks up the middle finger to exactly what most people don't want.

• im_stoned likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

GTA IV gets blasted for being ''too dark'' but .. have these people ever played RDR ? That's a dark story. 

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

To be fair I can understand why R* went the direction they did with GTA V. That's what the masses want, but I'll always love/appreciate GTA IV because it sticks up the middle finger to exactly what most people don't want.

Seems like R* focused too much on the missions for V and neglected the story aspect. If I had to choose one, I'd pick a great story over fun missions for the same reason why I'd rather watch American Gangster than Transformers. But the masses love mindless action so thats what R* gave them, cant blame them. I can only hope VI includes both aspects

• SonOfLiberty, sqre, Drunken Cowboy and 2 others like this

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Actually, do you remember the times before everyone started to judge games because of their stories? Let's be honest, if SA was released during this time, it would get a lot more hate than it already has.

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Too much win on this thread :D

Currently, I have put V aside and IV in the Xbox, and it gives me a hell of a good time ;)

Even more fun than V.

• Ixnay likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

The only people who say that are the ones who want nothing other than a game that boils down to shooting, blowing stuff up, then shooting again.. they dont care if the story and atmosphere are good, all they want is to play the awesome badass gangster who blows stuff up and rides fast cars. in short the ones who criticize it for being too dark are a bunch of f*cking retards.

• tikhung01 likes this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:10 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 25 January 2014 - 08:10 PM.

Actually, do you remember the times before everyone started to judge games because of their stories? Let's be honest, if SA was released during this time, it would get a lot more hate than it already has.

Its because as a series progresses, expectations rise accordingly. IV set the bar pretty high storywise, unfortunately V couldn't live up to it. Honestly SA had a better storyline than V, and its sheer amount of content compensated for the flaws in its story, sadly I cant say the same for V

• B Dawg and im_stoned like this

SirMichaelRocks23
  • SirMichaelRocks23

The Quickness.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

The only problem with IV was the missions. I know V didn't have a story that was dramatic, but the missions were pretty diverse and action-packed.

Vice City had an awesome story, and the missions were heavily diverse. Even GTA III, with the mute that was Claude, had more interesting missions than GTA IV. IV's missions suffered from being noticeably repetitive; let's face it... after Three Leaf Clover, this game got really boring.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

I agree. I never understood why so many people critised GTA IV for being darker and grittier as it fitted the story, setting and characters perfectly. If the setting was lighter and more playful like GTA V is then GTA IV would of been a horrible game as it wouldn't of fitted together.

Kalix47
  • Kalix47

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:45 PM Edited by Kalix47, 25 January 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Gta4 was really something different.

I loved that missions were different for example..."go smash this store,go on a date,go kill this ONE guy,go beat this guy....etc..."

It was really unique and realistic.

While gta5 starts with a BANG...(those first Franklin missions)...and that disappointed me

I really loved that realistic approach that we saw in gta4...i really want to see that again in gta6...i hope

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

SirMichael23.: I don't think it gets boring after Three Leaf Clover. Infact I'd say after Three Leaf Clover is one of the most interesting aspects of the story as that's when Niko gets caught up in the diamond fiasco and finally gets to "that special someone".

Xyn
  • Xyn

Ⱥbs°łuŧi°ƞ

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

I don't hate the story...I hate that god-awful filter & extra shaders R* used for IV in trying to give it more "grit". TBOGT's timecyc was probably the best there was.

No on why people may "hate" IV for being "too dark", is that it's a bit of an oxymoron.
One moment Niko is expressing his dislike for the criminal life & senseless killing and the next minute you're running over peds in an effort to chase down your target or doing more of that said crime you supposedly hate.
If Niko really didn't want to be a criminal anymore, he'd have called it quits after "3LC".

That said, I like the game. The SP is on par with V for me....but they just can't beat the III era.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

I don't hate the story...I hate that god-awful filter & extra shaders R* used for IV in trying to give it more "grit". TBOGT's timecyc was probably the best there was.

No on why people may "hate" IV for being "too dark", is that it's a bit of an oxymoron.
One moment Niko is expressing his dislike for the criminal life & senseless killing and the next minute you're running over peds in an effort to chase down your target or doing more of that said crime you supposedly hate.
If Niko really didn't want to be a criminal anymore, he'd have called it quits after "3LC".

That said, I like the game. The SP is on par with V for me....but they just can't beat the III era.

What?

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I think you just might not be a very good driver. :)

How many times does Niko actually express his dislike for the criminal life though? In nearly every mission, he's constantly making wisecracks and sarcastic jokes with other characters. And yet, he briefly talks to Mrs. Faustin about the war for 2 minutes and he's suddenly the biggest crybaby ever.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

*I hope I wouldn't get bashed since almost everyone knows that I love V*

I don't have any problem with the brightness. Hell I even fight with my TV to set it on a good brightness while playing GTA V.

I know why the game is dark. not because "its a crime game. so it has to be dark" its because what R* was feeling while they were devolving the game.

why did GTA VC was all-out sunny? its because GTA III was/has a major success. why GTA IV was so dark? because of the "minigame" GTA SA was gonna have (referring to the "sex" minigame)

the whole world was all around Rockstar when they made GTA SA the second they know the 'minigame' and tried to put the game down. later after R* had removed them, they still felt kinda hurt even after the major success SA had.

the darkness all around LC (IV) was actually Rockstar's feeling(s) while making the game. all the sun and etc in VC pictured how R* was happy with GTA III.

I really didn't like the gloom idea though. I HAVE to fight with my TV all day long just to adjust the colors and.....MY DAMN EYES!

so maybe the main problem is in the super gloom, not the darkness.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I think you just might not be a very good driver. :)

How many times does Niko actually express his dislike for the criminal life though? In nearly every mission, he's constantly making wisecracks and sarcastic jokes with other characters. And yet, he briefly talks to Mrs. Faustin about the war for 2 minutes and he's suddenly the biggest crybaby ever.
I know right? GTA IV has always had ridiculous exaggerations attached to it, but this takes the cake.

It's always fascinated me actually. These people who accuse Niko of constantly whining about the criminal lifestyle must have a different version of the game because he's exactly what you said most of the time.

If anything he mostly expresses it at the beginning. When Dimitri stabs him in the back it changes him.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

*I hope I wouldn't get bashed since almost everyone knows that I love V*

I don't have any problem with the brightness. Hell I even fight with my TV to set it on a good brightness while playing GTA V.

I know why the game is dark. not because "its a crime game. so it has to be dark" its because what R* was feeling while they were devolving the game.

why did GTA VC was all-out sunny? its because GTA III was/has a major success. why GTA IV was so dark? because of the "minigame" GTA SA was gonna have (referring to the "sex" minigame)

the whole world was all around Rockstar when they made GTA SA the second they know the 'minigame' and tried to put the game down. later after R* had removed them, they still felt kinda hurt even after the major success SA had.

the darkness all around LC (IV) was actually Rockstar's feeling(s) while making the game. all the sun and etc in VC pictured how R* was happy with GTA III.

I really didn't like the gloom idea though. I HAVE to fight with my TV all day long just to adjust the colors and.....MY DAMN EYES!

so maybe the main problem is in the super gloom, not the darkness.

IV was dark because NYC is dark place in the fall, VC/SA/V were sunny because LA and Miami are sunny throughout the whole year

You're reading way too much into this, your theory makes no sense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users