Photo

[GTAO] Racing Tips and Tricks

98 replies to this topic
deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hey I was making a hard off road race and I finally learned how to drive off road so here are some tips

DON'T DRIVE LIKE YOUR IN THE CITY. These are hills and you can ramp up hill and pass the checkpoint and then roll down the hip forcing you to respawn so take it easy

DON'T SLAM ON THE GAS. When your vehicle is at 0 mph you want to slightly press in the gas trigger so you don't peel out and you can drive up a almost straight vertical mountain if you drive slow

FALLING. When your falling off a mountain flipping over or spinning out of control one of the best things)you can do(is use RB NOT L TRIGGER(reverse) and every time your wheels touch the ground you need to try and COUNTER STEER that way you set it a little more straight each time

xbox or ps? If xbox send it to me, ill let you know if it's hard.

Probably the bigest thing on off road is knowing how much your car will slide at what speed, and knowing how to land properly.

Definately true,

off road racing takes a different approach in learnng the tolerance of your vehicle

With the limited traction offroad you need to be braking mroe in the approach, while your car is still striaght, then easing off both gas and brake to make the turn, returning on the gas wh8ile your peeling out of the corner.

it takes a very steady hand to feather the accelerator through an off-road corner,, if you can master it then it will give you a huuuuge advantage over the rest of the pack who will either

a) approach too fast and spin out

or

b) slow down so much that even your slight feathering will mean your constantly gaining in the corners

A couple of my UGC races incorporate both on and off road elements to really test the drivers ability to adjust style, on the on raod sections you can flat out and take sharper (90 degree) corners at pretty high speed, but the shalllower off road corners require a totally different technique

On the subject of off-road cornering there's also what id probably call the "Lightening McQueen Technique" (at least thats how i had to explain it to my daughter on other driving games....) for those who have kids and have seen Cars youlll know the line "sometimes you have to to go left, you need to turn right"...

this is very true, while drifting in a corner you need to flip your steering the opposite way to retain control.... so in a left hand drift, turning your wheels to the right mean they are actually facing forwards... this increases traction and particularly in front wheel drive vehicles the "drive" is actually facing the right direction, giving you more control and stability in the turn... you do have to be quick to switch from one to the other and back,, but it does stop you from spinning a full 180

good to see some more tips posted in here... if i get time i may pull some out and add to the OP with relevant credits :)

Its funny that i say the same Lightning Mclain refrence too :)

Fachuro
  • Fachuro

Stoner

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Weather

Obviously rain can affect your traction so this is something to bear in mind when entering corners, try not to go too fast or too sharp into the turn or you will spin out... keep clean smooth lines. Unless of course your drifting.. in which case turn on the rain and feather your handbrake+throttle together in those corners to get sideways.

The drifting mechanics in GTA:O are pretty sucky but if your in a msucle car or something like the Futo/Sultan you can get pretty good sideways drifts, esp in the rain... oddly the Bolokan Prairie and Dinka Blista do pretty well at drifting if you can time it right, those FWD Compact cars are crappy, but can be fun

Actually, drifting mechanics are pretty fun once you get used to them, they require a ton of attention to master though.  To practice drifting and get the instinct for it, try doing tough tracks with sharp corners and tight turns, lots of hairpins.  And keep the pedal-to-the-metal.  Full throttle, all the way through the turns.  Many people try to drift by getting the car to slide sideways the easiest way they can, by having high speeds, then as you release the throttle they pull the handbrake, when you do this you lock all wheels on the car and loose all traction just like in real life.  Needless to say, you also loose all control over your car, and once the wheels lock you can aim the drift any longer.  The mechanics are actually designed much closer to real life then you would think, if you keep full throttle, and start tapping your brake and handbrake to adjust speed and direction, aslong as you keep your car at an angle that maintains some momentum and traction you will get a nice drift, which with practice gets easier to control.  Start off doing donuts, then bigger donuts, and bigger donuts this way, you will begin to get the feel for how the mechanic works, and eventually you'll be drifting like a pro, slamming the car from side to side depending on where you need to go.  RWD cars are favourable when drifting, and you want high speed and braking power to be able to make the longest possible drifts.  Even the sharpest hairpins can be done at full throttle this way, once you get used to your car.  Some of my favourite drifting cars are the Grotto Carbonnizare and the Banshee, great RWD cars ;-)  Remember, you're not making the turns in one continous motion, but adjusting it in several tiny ones, so keep practicing how you tap the brake and handbrake, instead of holding it down unless absolutely necessary.  Rain on will actually make it harder to drift properly as you loose traction, and you'll be losing control of your drifts much quicker (spinning out, locking the wheels, and losing momentum/speed).  You can hear it on the engine whenever you pushed it too far compared to the momentum, as it will stop running for a second even if you're still holding the throttle down at full speed.  Then you need to use the brake more before you start tapping the handbrake to adjust your speed to where you can properly drift the corner.

deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Weather

Obviously rain can affect your traction so this is something to bear in mind when entering corners, try not to go too fast or too sharp into the turn or you will spin out... keep clean smooth lines. Unless of course your drifting.. in which case turn on the rain and feather your handbrake+throttle together in those corners to get sideways.

The drifting mechanics in GTA:O are pretty sucky but if your in a msucle car or something like the Futo/Sultan you can get pretty good sideways drifts, esp in the rain... oddly the Bolokan Prairie and Dinka Blista do pretty well at drifting if you can time it right, those FWD Compact cars are crappy, but can be fun

Actually, drifting mechanics are pretty fun once you get used to them, they require a ton of attention to master though.  To practice drifting and get the instinct for it, try doing tough tracks with sharp corners and tight turns, lots of hairpins.  And keep the pedal-to-the-metal.  Full throttle, all the way through the turns.  Many people try to drift by getting the car to slide sideways the easiest way they can, by having high speeds, then as you release the throttle they pull the handbrake, when you do this you lock all wheels on the car and loose all traction just like in real life.  Needless to say, you also loose all control over your car, and once the wheels lock you can aim the drift any longer.  The mechanics are actually designed much closer to real life then you would think, if you keep full throttle, and start tapping your brake and handbrake to adjust speed and direction, aslong as you keep your car at an angle that maintains some momentum and traction you will get a nice drift, which with practice gets easier to control.  Start off doing donuts, then bigger donuts, and bigger donuts this way, you will begin to get the feel for how the mechanic works, and eventually you'll be drifting like a pro, slamming the car from side to side depending on where you need to go.  RWD cars are favourable when drifting, and you want high speed and braking power to be able to make the longest possible drifts.  Even the sharpest hairpins can be done at full throttle this way, once you get used to your car.  Some of my favourite drifting cars are the Grotto Carbonnizare and the Banshee, great RWD cars ;-)  Remember, you're not making the turns in one continous motion, but adjusting it in several tiny ones, so keep practicing how you tap the brake and handbrake, instead of holding it down unless absolutely necessary.  Rain on will actually make it harder to drift properly as you loose traction, and you'll be losing control of your drifts much quicker (spinning out, locking the wheels, and losing momentum/speed).  You can hear it on the engine whenever you pushed it too far compared to the momentum, as it will stop running for a second even if you're still holding the throttle down at full speed.  Then you need to use the brake more before you start tapping the handbrake to adjust your speed to where you can properly drift the corner.

I agree with everything you posted but i still dont like to call this DRIFTING but more like POWER SLIDING. Until R* adds reall Drifting mechanics instead of this jimmy rigged drifting ill keep calling power sliding.  What makes no sense is that in Midnight Club it had real drifting but they took it out WTF

statistic
  • statistic

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

from demasx

For starting players that learn by doing, my number one tip: race motorcycles.

A motorcycle should be your primary personal vehicle in free roam for your first 30-odd ranks as well.

Why?

Motorcycles are fast - Barring the stimulus package, you're not going to start the game in a Super car. Motorcycles are readily acquired at Rank 1 whilst still having performance car level speed. Motorcycles will acclimate you to racing speeds more quickly than mid to low range personal vehicles available at lower levels.

Motorcycles require precision - Cars are certainly more forgiving in a collision, but the fact that wiping out with a motorcycle is easier, forces you to learn to drive at high speeds. You'll learn to how to corner, how to weave, and how to avoid obstacles. In a car, lacking the wipe-out penalty, unskilled players will routinely use crashing as their cornering method, smash through traffic, and act as if lamp posts and traffic signs aren't there... while all these things are forgiven on missions or in free roam, they- in fact- take a toll on your lap times and pole position in races.

Motorcycles develop road knowledge - Most bikes allow you to wheelie or lean forwards in order to affect their performance (wheelie- top acceleration / top speed, minus 90% handling; leaning- better acceleration / better speed, minus 30% handling), they also readily take to air and are more sensitive to aerial adjustment and landing than cars. With a motorcycle as your personal vehicle, you'll start to appreciate what the roads will allow you to do, how to attack certain stretches and corners, how much speed will launch you into uncontrollable air, what to do in the air, etc. That extra bit of interaction (deciding to pitch forwards or back) teaches you more about the road than the car's sole option of acceleration.

Motorcycles race cleaner - Collisions and rough housing is still possible on bikes, but it's nowhere as bad as with cars at a choke point. Racing on bikes will give you a better appreciation for the clean line and how a stage is meant to be attacked; as opposed to merely surviving or mitigating collisions.

Once you've got motorcycles under your belt, you'll find that all your skills carry over to cars. You'll have to learn to deal with the aggression and collision, and slip-streaming will play a much larger role, but you'll be much better equipped to win a clean race if you break away from the pack and much more inclined to do so once obstacle avoidance has become second nature from bikes.

Great thread, I've been working on my racing skills lately and read through this thread.  This part in particular grabbed me.  I've been avoiding motorcycles because IMO the dynamics are not good at all.  I'm a motorcyclist with several years of club level roadracing IRL, and was so frustrated with the bikes I never used them.  The last few days, I've ridden my modded Akuma exclusively in free roam based on this post, and my skills are improving very quickly!  I still crash and burn quite a bit, but not as much as before.  

And the transition back to a car is easy.  It's almost like the cars are in slow motion now, having been getting used to the Akuma.

Keep the tips coming, and keep up the clean racing.

• mo-seph likes this

BlackSquirrel
  • BlackSquirrel

I'm Rick James, Bitch!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:39 PM Edited by BlackSquirrel, 06 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Excellent tips from everyone....thanks.

Now, just need some tips to identify the trolls that show up.... 

ashbashbluesfan
  • ashbashbluesfan

Professional Griefer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Great tips something I'd like to add is that you need to learn that cars have different stats in races, for example the monroe is the fastest sports classic in free roam, in races it is the z-type.

This is true for a few other cars too.

Cwinny24
  • Cwinny24

Street Cat

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Try and go faster than the other drivers

You dont say :D

deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Another good tip is the nitro boostNB) in GTA mode

The NB once used it has to be used up.  If you initiate it youll get the boost you need even if you dont press on the gas.  Youll hit full speed with out hitting the gas now if you add your own throttle to it youll go fast.  If you need to kill the NB youll need to SLAM ON THE BRAKE(not emergeny break or hand break) until the NB stops.

Hope i explained this right

derka482
  • derka482

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

Brakes are for babies.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Brakes are for babies.

certainly they should be used minimally, but when it comes ot braking timing is everything...

personally (and any one of the hundred or so peeps from here whove raced with me will confirm) i have a tendency to brake late and hard at certain times, often squeezing into a small space between two cars,

if im in clear space and not "chasing" i tend to feather the throttle over using the brake, but if im chasing for a position ill brake late and hard, cutting the apex early for an overtake during the corner... got a few of my crew members with that...

dean911
  • dean911

Player Hater

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

thanks for the tips

bowlingforsoups
  • bowlingforsoups

San Andreas Roamers crew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:39 PM Edited by bowlingforsoups, 24 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

Great tips!  The whole outside-inside-outside method definitely works, and makes quite a big difference.

Also, try to take the turns at a speed you can handle.  Instead of accelerating to the turn and then braking, build up to the turn and just barely tap your brakes.  Like you said, you should never have to hold down on the brakes.

So, which is better- a. trying to take a turn too fast and end up crashing into a pole or ditch

or

b. taking it relatively slowly on the turn, but having no crash

Definitely b. because after you round that corner at a slower pace, you still have enough momentum to be able to reach your top speed until the next turn.  By gunning it before instead of after a turn, you will be able to get to your full speed.

Keep on checking your radar too- you'll want to reach your top speed until you get a certain distance away from the next turn, and then just ease off the gas as you did before.

• mo-seph likes this

ilovefrenchgirls
  • ilovefrenchgirls

creator

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

thanks for the tips ... I need to train mysef to be a better racer, I am not fast enough :(

SileightyCyrus
  • SileightyCyrus

I > Gravity

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:31 AM Edited by SileightyCyrus, 07 April 2014 - 06:39 AM.

Lol@ brakes are for babies. Often times braking can make more of a difference than anything else. I didn't want to take too much space, but it seems you guys don't mind, so I'll post my write-up on intermediate/advanced techniques.

Edit: here you go...

I started writing this as a quick thought for the race tips thread, but it quickly took a life of it's own, and I put a lot more detail than I had initially planned. This guide should be useful to ANYONE that is beginner/intermediate, and possibly to some of you advanced drivers. Some advanced drivers go entirely off instinct, so a bit of knowledge can push them even faster. This guide should also serve as a tool to help decide what car is best for your online racing weapon.

One thing to consider when buying a new car is that "handling" as a solitary metric is far too vague to ever base even part of a decision on. What are they basing the "handling" on? For the average driver, a car that simply sticks to the ground better than others is considered a better handling car; after all, if you can't negotiate your car to the end of the course, then it doesn't matter what the potential of the car is, however...

Most racing drivers will agree that a "looser" car has a higher potential for handling. I've found that some cars with a higher handling rating just stick to the ground better, which may not actually be faster. If you have access to the Forza series, with some digging, you can actually find the tunes that the top drivers use to set the fastest times on the leaderboards available for you to buy. I think you'll find that the vast majority of the top tunes used by the top drivers are cars that seem absolutely useless to the average player. When I first started playing, I downloaded the fastest car available for the A class on Tsukuba. I hadn't tested it before choosing it in an online race. It was so absolutely touchy that I actually crashed on EVERY corner the first lap, quit, and then tested it out by myself. I was able to finally force the car to do what I want, setting some massively fast times, but it was so touchy that I made a mistake on 90% of the laps I tried. I decided on a car with less potential, but was easier to drive, and ended up winning far more races.
I'm going to preface the next part by saying that while I do believe the physics simulation for this game, while obviously and necessarily, is not perfect, it does seem to be deep enough to truly simulate not only how throttle/braking/steering inputs can make a car slip in realistic ways, but also the final piece of the car handling puzzle beyond that; the transfer and balance of weight, is simulated fairly accurately as well.

When it comes to a good handling car, a car that never loses traction is most likely not going to be a very fast car. Even a car that "plows" by understeering strongly, could potentially have a lot of cornering ability on tap for someone who knows how to wrestle it out of the car. I'm not going to try to explain every quirk that a car could have, but I'll touch on two major...I guess handling stereotypes, and you can take the information or leave it.

The car that's eager to wag it's tail:

Cars that oversteer a lot can be a handful. Obviously, muscle cars oversteer on throttle, and some cars naturally oversteer on corner entry no matter what you do as you enter a corner. These types of cars have a very high potential for handling. Think about it this way, oversteer itself isn't the problem, it's when you can't get the traction back quick enough that you lose time. Any kind of smoky drift is going to make you slower, but if you are able rotate the car quickly, then accelerate cleanly, you can sometimes get a faster exit than if you maintained traction throughout the turn. The key is getting on the throttle earlier. In general, he who gets on the throttle earlier will be faster. How does one do this with an oversteering car?

If you are oversteering on entry, it's because when you were braking, you transferred the weight to the front, and as you started turning, the rear tires had less traction to hold the car through the turn, so momentum took over. This can be cured with gentle throttle inputs. If you hit the throttle too suddenly, too soon, or too hard, then you will only exacerbate the oversteer. However, if you can gently ease on the throttle just enough to get more weight over the rear tires, without making the tires slip more, then you will be able to regain traction in the rear. This, if done correctly, can be done faster than negotiating a corner with no loss of grip.

If you are oversteering on exit, it means you are giving too much throttle, you got on the throttle too suddenly, or you got on the throttle while you had too much steering input. This, in general, is slower, however if you are understeering, and it would take too much time to wait for the car to point the correct direction, a sudden blip of throttle, followed by balanced throttle input could both rotate the car, and then transfer the weight to the rear tires in order to allow you to get on the throttle earlier than if you simply waited for the car to point the direction you wanted.

For the car that doesn't like to turn:

With a car that terminally understeers, you can try the above method, but sometimes cars like this don't oversteer no matter how you play with the throttle. What you should try here is trail braking. Essentially, you can think of the grip of your tires this way: You have 100 grip points available to any of the tires. By adding weight over the tires, you add grip (to an extent) and the opposite is true. So when decelerating the front tires would have something more like 120 grip points, while the rear has 80. Now any action you take uses grip. Braking uses grip, turning uses grip, and accelerating uses grip. If you use just about all 100 points to brake, and then try to turn at the same time - you run out of grip, and you understeer. However, if you use all the points for braking, but then ease off the brakes as you input steering, you can use all your points while not having to do one action at a time. As you brake, the weight transfers forward, giving you a bit more grip potential, but that is then traded off by the rear having less. You can use 120 grip points to brake, but as you enter, you reduce that to 100 for braking, 20 for turning, then continue to let up on the brakes as you add more steering, so by the time you are fully committed to the corner, you are using no brake, and all of those front tire grip points for steering. Now, since you took away a bit of grip from the rear, you may experience a bit of oversteer, which is great for a car that terminally understeers. It's at this point that you can add a bit of throttle, which moves the weight to the back, giving you more grip in the rear, which will then take away grip from the front. If you are good enough on the throttle, you can stop the oversteer by adding throttle (which may sound counter intuitive) letting you get on the throttle sooner, which will give you a better exit speed, and more time at Wide Open Throttle. At that point, since this car understeers, you can actually use that to your advantage, as you should be able to use more throttle/more suddenly/earlier.

Some random tips/concepts/ideas:

- Each drive train will react a bit differently, but the same rules apply. If you have no weight in the back, even an FF car will oversteer. When you trail brake using an FF car, it's beneficial to try to keep the weight in the front as you gently apply the throttle, as there is a bit of a "pulling" effect FF cars can have when on the throttle at the correct time. Be careful, however, as these cars are generally considered the least efficient when it comes to handling - but the right driver can make them fantastic.

- Simply easing a bit off throttle, either partially, or fully, can affect the weight balance. If there is a corner that you can ALMOST take at full throttle, easing a bit off, but not all the way, for a brief second can possibly give you enough extra grip in the front negotiate that corner, and only be off Wide Open Throttle for a brief second.

- A similar concept to the previous note, there will be times when you may be able to add a tiny bit of brakes, while staying on the throttle, to get more grip in the front. Every action you take has both direct and indirect effects. We know what the brakes and throttle are for, but a bit of brakes will move the weight forward, and a bit of throttle will move it back. Use that knowledge. The more you practice, the more instinctive it will be.

- Elevation changes, the camber of specific corners, speed, terrain - all of these things will need to be considered when racing.

- If there is a long straightaway after a corner coming up. and you and another driver are battling, it's sometimes beneficial to let them outbrake you, with your sole focus being on getting on the throttle earlier. Even if they are in front of you at the exit, and carried a good amount of momentum through the corner, if you are on the throttle earlier, there is a good chance you will be able to overtake them shortly.

- If there is another corner directly after a corner coming up, think more about where you will be at the entry of the second corner, rather than how you negotiate the first. This is true if you are not actively battling someone, or if you are.

- If you have to read this guide, and you encountered any new information, stay away from the handbrake, as you won't have the skills necessary to use it correctly, even in a gymkhana type situation.

- All wheel drive cars have all of the benefits, as well as negative characteristics of both FF and FR/MR/RR cars.

- FF cars understeer, plain and simple. MR/RR cars tend to oversteer wildly on corner entrance, and mildly on exit. FR cars can go either way, but in general are fairly neutral, with the tendancy to oversteer mildly on entrance and exit.

Closing thoughts:

All of this takes lots and lots of practice. If you have experience with other racing games/racing in real life, you will most likely have an advantage in this game. When it comes to choosing your car, test all the cars you can! It's MUCH easier to make money in single player, and you can buy most of the same cars and test them. Create a test route for yourself, and when considering a new car as an online weapon, time yourself around your test course. You can take all the theory you want, but like I said at the beginning: if you can't make it to the finish line, it doesn't matter how much potential your car has. I, by no means, think I am the fastest, but if you doubt my theories, I'd be happy to find some digital credentials that should prove that I know what the hell I'm talking about. If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
  • seb0range likes this

rampage08
  • rampage08

I do not fear, for you are with me...

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:26 AM Edited by rampage08, 25 April 2014 - 01:29 AM.

This might not be a good tip or even if it is, its already been covered so i just want to confirm this. I always think that driving around in Muscle cars such as the Pheonix or Dominator and just joyriding away, powersliding on every corner and driving on oncoming lane can help you learn how to control cars better. You will know when to brake, how to avoid getting spin out and how a car usually behave. I know Muscles arent the same as others but i found after 90% of the time doing this while playing, i got better car control.

Also remember that some FF cars (i only test a couple of them) tends to have lift-off oversteer so take advantage of that.

I just realise that this game has the most detailed vehicle physics for a sandbox game.
  • SileightyCyrus likes this

Killer1qa2ws3ed
  • Killer1qa2ws3ed

Player Hater

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

Drafting is always a good strategy to win the races , it increases your speed also try to use shortest roads in corners

JacksonLovesBurritos
  • JacksonLovesBurritos

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Be a douche bag and turn catch up OFF, then only allow low levels join the race so that you make sure you don't have anyone with a good car besides you.

Lol I bet the majority of people who turn off catch up probably kicks the highest level player because they are too afraid to lose. Hence why they have to stay in first place and not let anyone catch up to them :p

Is there any way to choose the level of players that can join?

Yvevolution
  • Yvevolution

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

trading wins is cheap IMO

but every1 and their mom has full mods and no1 races stock cars anymore

Its possible to still win with stock cars. I did the 'Long Haul 2' race twice with 16 racers, custom cars on, catch up off, and i was the only one without a custom super car in the race. I assumed everyone else had modded the f out of their adders and entitys, but still i finished marginally second in the first race and won the second race. Im no no pro driver, ive only won 52/160 races, but i've learned that that the smartest drivers that take calculated risk always rank in the top 3. Like me. 

luisniko
  • luisniko

Grand Trade Auto

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:51 AM Edited by luisniko, 30 May 2014 - 08:53 AM.

TIPS from me to nubsauces with junkie mentality:

1. Full-pressed accelerator to top speed isn't the answer to win. Ever see bunch of people splat their cars on the wall or hard objects on turns? It's because they have mentality of this.

2. Don't try to ram people. You got Slipstream? Catchup? Or better mods? Then go take your chance and go after anyone in front of you in a fair manner. Why? Because you have a chance to burn yourself in shame once you're the one taken down by your own unfair action.

3. If your driving skill sucks and only relying on Point 1, get your ass on single race and train. Train how to brake. Train how to drift on turnings. Train how to handle slopes.

Additional fact: People who got rubbing mentality in racing and no actual skill in handling vehicle always be proven on Air Race when they start to take others down but they can't control their sh*t and crash in the end. Thankfully, it isn't like car. They'll burn themselves in the last position afterwards.

rampage08
  • rampage08

I do not fear, for you are with me...

• Members

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Racing in online nowadays really boils my blood. Just yesterday we were racing in Long Haul 2. I was doing my best avoiding assholes ramming into each other. Things were great, i was 2nd and i kept myself behind 1st place until the final 2 checkpoints. Just then a prick from behind me just decided to ram the person in 1st and wiped them both together and because it was just right ahead of me, i can't avoid them. I ended crashing the prick car and veered out of the bridge, with the finish line just in front ! I rage quit after that, seriously looking for clean racers now and i'm gettig tired of racing supers too.

Of with all these amazing tips from this thread, patience is one of the most important factor. If you see someone coming up from behind and wants to pass you, just brake and let them pass because you don't know what he would do. It makes you look like a pussy but at least when the people in front of you got wiped out after ramming with another person, he will be the one who look like an idiot.
  • Muscleracer likes this

TexasKilldozer
  • TexasKilldozer

Los Santos Golf Pro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Here's a tip not too many people know about: take the armor off your racing vehicles and they will go much faster. They will also be harder to handle on turns and explode extremely easily on missed ramps, but the speed advantage on straightaways is noticeable. You can experiment with different levels of armor to find a comfortable balance between speed/handling, but I prefer 0% armor on my racing vehicles.

I have a fully armored Exemplar I use for everyday driving around Los Santos and doing missions (Why drive a $1,000,000 car to work? Would you do that in real life, knowing people are giong to be shooting at you?), but my Supers, Sports and Muscle cars are all unarmored.

The best way to test it out is to do the race "Arms Race" (you can do Criminal Records, but since it's a dirt track, you won't get as much traction as you would on a tarmac) by yourself at 5 laps and compare your best laps with the different levels of Armor. At first, I was actually getting faster laps with 100% armor because it was easier to make the turns - I was missing checkpoints with 0% armor because of the difference in handling.

Keep in mind that with Catchup on, none of this is relevant, but racing with Catchup on isn't really racing.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Racing in online nowadays really boils my blood. Just yesterday we were racing in Long Haul 2. I was doing my best avoiding assholes ramming into each other. 

You should have avoided that track.  Catch up + Slip stream  = Custer f*ck waiting to happen.  Dirty or clean.

TexasKilldozer
  • TexasKilldozer

Los Santos Golf Pro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Racing in online nowadays really boils my blood. Just yesterday we were racing in Long Haul 2. I was doing my best avoiding assholes ramming into each other. 

You should have avoided that track.  Catch up + Slip stream  = Custer f*ck waiting to happen.  Dirty or clean.

Long Haul 2 isn't even remotely competitive with catchup on. It gives the dirty drivers/idiots who can't drive a chance to take the lead.

The best way to win (or at least come in second) in Long Haul 2 with catchup on is to get in the lead and share slipstreams with whoever's in second. It totally negates catchup.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Grand Trade Auto

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Just then a prick from behind me just decided to ram the person in 1st and wiped them both together and because it was just right ahead of me, i can't avoid them. I ended crashing the prick car and veered out of the bridge, with the finish line just in front !

I don't know what's wrong with people's head sometimes. Seriously, my cars aren't fully modded. Then those dumbf*cks' car are always faster than me. And everytime I know they caught up with me, I always open the road for them to just 'go ahead'. Instead of just going off, they purposely ram me off.

I'd love to hear Dr. Friedlander's opinion about this.

PhantomZyrus
  • PhantomZyrus

Official MLG Pro - Tier 5

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

Cornering/Turns

Most races (IRL and gaming) are won and lost in corners, its all well and good thinking that the adder is the fasest supercar, but its traction stat is lower than say... the entity XF.. the Entity (my fav supercar) has a much lower centre of gravity and sticks to the road much better, it means corners can be taken alot quicker.

The Zentorno is faster than the Entity and turns better. It improves on all of the Entity's strengths and it even looks better.

SileightyCyrus
  • SileightyCyrus

I > Gravity

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Cornering/Turns
Most races (IRL and gaming) are won and lost in corners, its all well and good thinking that the adder is the fasest supercar, but its traction stat is lower than say... the entity XF.. the Entity (my fav supercar) has a much lower centre of gravity and sticks to the road much better, it means corners can be taken alot quicker.

The Zentorno is faster than the Entity and turns better. It improves on all of the Entity's strengths and it even looks better.

On my test track, which I use to determine which cars I should use per class, I ran the Zentorno and averaged 2:12.xx, and with the bone stock entity, I ran 2:11.xx. I no longer have that Zentorno, but with the addition of wing functionality, my I got 2:05.xx with my Entity. Based on purely objective data, the Entity is superior. Based on purely subjective data, I imagine your experience may not quite be enough to make the claim you did.

PhantomZyrus
  • PhantomZyrus

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Cornering/Turns

On my test track, which I use to determine which cars I should use per class, I ran the Zentorno and averaged 2:12.xx, and with the bone stock entity, I ran 2:11.xx. I no longer have that Zentorno, but with the addition of wing functionality, my I got 2:05.xx with my Entity. Based on purely objective data, the Entity is superior. Based on purely subjective data, I imagine your experience may not quite be enough to make the claim you did.

OR you like the Entity more so you lie about experiments so as to not admit that there's something out there better than your favorite.
See? I can be passive-aggressive too. 

SileightyCyrus
  • SileightyCyrus

I > Gravity

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:58 AM Edited by SileightyCyrus, 21 June 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Cornering/Turns

OR you like the Entity more so you lie about experiments so as to not admit that there's something out there better than your favorite.
See? I can be passive-aggressive too. 
There was nothing passive-aggressive about what I said, though it was very dry and matter of fact. The fact that you said it "turns" better suggests you don't actually have a lot of experience on the subject. If you can manage to keep the wheels from spinning with the Entity, and you conducted the same tests, you will find the same results. As my previous write up suggests, you need a certain level of skill to squeeze all the performance out of the car, so you may personally be able to take the Zentorno around a track quicker (which is fine), but in the end, that doesn't mean the Entity is inferior, it just means you aren't at a level where you can take advantage of a superior chassis. I like the look of the Zentorno mote, btw, but can't afford both, and since I predominantly race, I need function over form.

PhantomZyrus
  • PhantomZyrus

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:28 PM Edited by PhantomZyrus, 22 June 2014 - 02:30 PM.

Seeing as I am an MLG Pro Tier 5, you implying you are more skilled than I is absurd. 

The level of skill I have is what allows me to make the correct conclusion that the Zentorno beats the Entity. The test conducted included a long straight drag race and races including turns of various degrees. Each track was raced numerous (at least 25) times with people switching between the Entity XF and Zentorno so skill wasn't even a factor. The Zentorno won literally every single time.
Your bias may make it impossible for you to change your opinion but if you become less close-minded and see that you are wrong, I will be here ready to accept your apology. 

Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Snip 

I have to agree that statistically and performance wise the zentorno would be the better choice over the entity... But if you let a skilled driver like me or a few skilled drivers from my crew get behind the wheel of an entity vs some zentornos then the zentorno may lose

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users