[GTAO] Racing Tips and Tricks

179 replies to this topic
WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

It was erased somehow but mo-seph had a fantastic racing tips thread.

Luckily he saved the op and reposted it: http://gtaforums.com...ips-and-tricks/
  • saintsrow likes this

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

Get the truck horn and just blast it non stop through the entire race.

It is pretty hilarious.

You will most likely lose.

It costs a sh*tload of money.

Races.

• RowanSane likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

My tip for -winning- races:  Find another person who need wins so they, like you, can get their 50 wins for all performance mods.  Trade wins with them, on the shortest single-lap course you can find.  :^:

If more generally you want to be a better racer and finish higher in the pack on average, then most of the above advice (both the fair advice and the cynical but true dirty advice) are applicable.  :p

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

trading wins is cheap IMO

but every1 and their mom has full mods and no1 races stock cars anymore

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:25 AM Edited by mo-seph, 27 January 2014 - 10:25 AM.

It was erased somehow but mo-seph had a fantastic racing tips thread.

Luckily he saved the op and reposted it: http://gtaforums.com...ips-and-tricks/

might we be able to merge this thread with that on baker?? there's some good tips on here too, and a bit of lighthearted humour which is always good...

ps cheers for the shout :)

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Make sure you put dollar rims on all your cars.

horse1001
  • horse1001

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

1. Slow and steady wins the race. - Sheer nonsense. To win a race learn the track. That way you know the braking point or if you can just let up off the accelrator without using the brake for the corner etc. Going steady will win you races 5% of the time.

If you're used to the track and understand the turns, and you're not going to spin out then sure, you can go faster.

But if you're not then I still think it's best to be cautious. You're not going to win a race by running into a phone poll and having to respawn.

• Nomis24 likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

1. Slow and steady wins the race. - Sheer nonsense. To win a race learn the track. That way you know the braking point or if you can just let up off the accelrator without using the brake for the corner etc. Going steady will win you races 5% of the time.

If you're used to the track and understand the turns, and you're not going to spin out then sure, you can go faster.

But if you're not then I still think it's best to be cautious. You're not going to win a race by running into a phone poll and having to respawn.

True, but for me if the track is average size then I can learn the obstacles that might be a problem in one lap. A track like Grand Tour may take a couple of tries compared to shorter tracks.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Here's some tips I posted in another thread, Enjoy these are some of my best ones.

PIT Maneuver defense tactics:

Brake. It's simple, just hit the brake when you see one coming. Yes you'll lose ground however you'll lose less than if you let yourself get hit. One of two things will happen, he'll collide into you but won't spin you out, this might cause him to spin himself out however, or he'll go right past you into a wall/river/whatever is on the other side of you. When that happens I won't lie it's pretty epic. It's really tough though to get it into your mind to brake when this happens. A little training and you'll be laughing at the PIT maneuver.

Cornering:

It goes without saying but learning to corner properly makes a huge difference in this game. This is common knowledge to most but I'm listing it here because it's so damn important. I catch up to almost everyone all the time because of the way I corner turns. another cornering tip is watch the arrows that point you in the right direction during a race. 1 arrow means keep the pedal to the metal, 2 arrows means you should slow down slightly while 3 arrows is almost always a hair pin turn and you should slow down drastically before reaching the turn. Another cornering tip is brake before turning. This seems slower at first and if you're neck and neck with another racer you'll see him fly past you towards the corner. It might be temping not to do this cause it looks like you're losing your lead however go through the whole thing properly and you'll exit that corner faster than he will, if he makes it at all. Just need some patience and a little practice.

Slip Streaming:

It's uses are obvious but if you're a destruction derby type, try NOT hitting everyone you pass. This will result in higher speeds for your vehicle becasue every scrape slows you down, even if you manage to pass your opponent. Use the braking method to avoid being pit maneuvered by the person you're passing or use a feint when passing. (that is pass to one side, then quickly switch to the other when you see your opponents car move to block you.

Going fast:

Obviously the gas button makes you go, but beyond that, what tips can you use to go faster? Here's a few. Don't turn, yeah I know you have to for corners but between corners try touching the thumb stick the LEAST ammount that you can. The quicker your point your cars nose to it's next turn and the quicker your finger comes off the thumb stick the faster you'll go and the longer you'll keep that speed. Say you're slip streaming someone and you make a clean pass and you're racing the sewers. Once you pass them you have a looong straight to go, keep that extra speed you gained from slip streaming by not touching the analogue stick. If you do, you'll slow down to your cars normal max speed and lose any slip streaming speed you gained after passing the car that should now be behind you.

Unusual paths to take:

Practice taking unusual paths, like the very fist jump on the sewers map most people slow down so they don't miss the arch tunnel that comes up right after the jump. Instead practice taking the jump at full speed an aim for the slanted side wall. You'l still hit the checkpoint but when you get to the slanted U turn you'll be higher on the wall and at a better angle making the turn faster and easier. Plus you're unlikely to get rammed from behind because you didn't slow down, and it's unlikely anyone will follow you... At least not intentionally.

Learn when to ram people:

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't advisable.

Boosting off the start:

Don't hit the gas until you see green/go. Simple.

• mo-seph and Yvevolution like this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

PIT Maneuver defense tactics:

Brake. It's simple, just hit the brake when you see one coming. Yes you'll lose ground however you'll lose less than if you let yourself get hit. One of two things will happen, he'll collide into you but won't spin you out, this might cause him to spin himself out however, or he'll go right past you into a wall/river/whatever is on the other side of you. When that happens I won't lie it's pretty epic. It's really tough though to get it into your mind to brake when this happens. A little training and you'll be laughing at the PIT maneuver.

Cornering:

It goes without saying but learning to corner properly makes a huge difference in this game. This is common knowledge to most but I'm listing it here because it's so damn important. I catch up to almost everyone all the time because of the way I corner turns. another cornering tip is watch the arrows that point you in the right direction during a race. 1 arrow means keep the pedal to the metal, 2 arrows means you should slow down slightly while 3 arrows is almost always a hair pin turn and you should slow down drastically before reaching the turn. Another cornering tip is brake before turning. This seems slower at first and if you're neck and neck with another racer you'll see him fly past you towards the corner. It might be temping not to do this cause it looks like you're losing your lead however go through the whole thing properly and you'll exit that corner faster than he will, if he makes it at all. Just need some patience and a little practice.

Slip Streaming:

It's uses are obvious but if you're a destruction derby type, try NOT hitting everyone you pass. This will result in higher speeds for your vehicle becasue every scrape slows you down, even if you manage to pass your opponent. Use the braking method to avoid being pit maneuvered by the person you're passing or use a feint when passing. (that is pass to one side, then quickly switch to the other when you see your opponents car move to block you.

Going fast:

Obviously the gas button makes you go, but beyond that, what tips can you use to go faster? Here's a few. Don't turn, yeah I know you have to for corners but between corners try touching the thumb stick the LEAST ammount that you can. The quicker your point your cars nose to it's next turn and the quicker your finger comes off the thumb stick the faster you'll go and the longer you'll keep that speed. Say you're slip streaming someone and you make a clean pass and you're racing the sewers. Once you pass them you have a looong straight to go, keep that extra speed you gained from slip streaming by not touching the analogue stick. If you do, you'll slow down to your cars normal max speed and lose any slip streaming speed you gained after passing the car that should now be behind you.

Unusual paths to take:

Practice taking unusual paths, like the very fist jump on the sewers map most people slow down so they don't miss the arch tunnel that comes up right after the jump. Instead practice taking the jump at full speed an aim for the slanted side wall. You'l still hit the checkpoint but when you get to the slanted U turn you'll be higher on the wall and at a better angle making the turn faster and easier. Plus you're unlikely to get rammed from behind because you didn't slow down, and it's unlikely anyone will follow you... At least not intentionally.

Learn when to ram people:

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't advisable.

Boosting off the start:

Don't hit the gas until you see green/go. Simple.

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Bustre

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Usually I try to stay in front of the guy that's in second place. Seems to work.

coconut monkey
  • coconut monkey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:35 PM Edited by coconut monkey, 27 January 2014 - 06:36 PM.

Usually I try to stay in front of the guy that's in second place. Seems to work.

This.

/thread

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Nice tips krakus particularly the PIT defense, well roubded advice for the victim

But I, like you, prefer not to ram so in that last 100 yards I tend more towards tryin to gain the last second slipstream, granted its risky and wont always work but I tend not to ever intentionally ram anyone, id rather be second and clean than first and dirty. but, everyone has their own preference lol

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

I actually don't ram people at the end of races but I do try to block them from passing which often results in me ramming them unintentionally.

It's a tough choice between blocking and hanging back at the end of a race to get that slipstream win. I feel like both are equally lame methods of racing though so I prefer the blocking method because at least then I make no bones about being in the lead the entire race. IE: Actually racing as opposed to not passing someone that's slower intentionally to use the physics to my advantage. That whole concept to me seems alien and improper given that it's supposed to be a race, you should never be slowing down or intentionally not passing someone if you can pass them.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Blocking is a fair and reasonable racing method though, thats one reason why i always turn my lights off in night races, to make it harder for anyone im trying to pass to know where i am...

if your behind me with your lights on ill always try and maneuver myself into your beams... that way i know if your moving out to the left or right and can adjust to block you

I also thought of another tip that i missed form my OP when rewriting this, so ill edit it in shortly

Slipstreaming

A little side note on slipstreaming... If your in a slipstream and there isnt a safe place to pass, try and reduce your throttle to about 75% (i.e release your trigger slightly) to negate the additional speed. This will leave you and the person your slipstreaming at roughly the same speed (them at 10% throttle, you at 75% throttle 25% SS)

anyone that's raced with me knows that ill stick to your ass in a slipstream like glue, if i know your driving style well enough. This is my secret...

Not only will it give you more control, allowing you to retain the slipstream round corners (weird i know..) but it also means when that opportunity to pass presents itself

a) your in a slipstream and

b) you have some extra throttle

So if you see even a small opportunity to nip past you can start to increase your throttle, pull out as your gaining speed in the slipstream, then pedal to the metal past them.

customkingpimp
  • customkingpimp

I am happy

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Spin them out before they spin you out. 
Racing in this game sucks now, there was a point where it was not bad, but its all full of idiots who just spin you out, so just beat them to it. 

You realize that having that attitude instead of finding a more effective counter, is the reason why it's gotten so bad?

You realize that I have this attitude because it IS this bad?  I never would have thought of this, or would have done this, if it did not start happeing in every race.

Racing on this game is a joke. A bunch of noobs with modded cars, so getting the advantage off the line is nothing, you are still neck and neck. Then you get spun out, yeah, you can catch up, if you are good enough. But once you catch up, its back to the same old bullsh*t, them spinning you out, or using slip stream to gain massive speed to ram the back of your car.

to sum it up, Dont blaim me, or people like me for how racing is, blaim the people who started doing that in the first place.

Thatsamkid
  • Thatsamkid

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I say stay clam never hit anyone dont make mistakes.

BlakeAlv
  • BlakeAlv

Admin Yo

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

I've master defensive and offensive driving in this game. The commute is one of my favorite races, and a lot of people love doing it, but one thing a LOT of people do not know, is that on the end freeway stretch on the big bridge where you go up and down, you can hit the check points on the left side of the road, I always do this to avoid getting slip streamed at the end of the race, very irritating, I think they should have an option to turn slip streaming off, just do see who the better, faster, smarter driver is.

• mochakaboom likes this

mochakaboom
  • mochakaboom

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

I've master defensive and offensive driving in this game. The commute is one of my favorite races, and a lot of people love doing it, but one thing a LOT of people do not know, is that on the end freeway stretch on the big bridge where you go up and down, you can hit the check points on the left side of the road, I always do this to avoid getting slip streamed at the end of the race, very irritating, I think they should have an option to turn slip streaming off, just do see who the better, faster, smarter driver is.

Commute is my favorite also. I was trying so hard to slip stream this one guy at the end of the race but he did what you said and went on the other side of the freeway stretch. Lol it was a major fail, I crashed into the median... last place 

BlakeAlv
  • BlakeAlv

Admin Yo

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

^^ Lol whats your gt maybe we can do some races sometime?

deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Hey Racers I really liked all the detailed explanation on how to win races while having fun and respecting other racers!

I would like to add a few thing to this list myself:

1. CREATE SOME OF YOUR RACES IN THE CREATOR BETA. This will help you learn the areas you would like the race in, get better in, just have fun. Building a proper track which involves not only sharp turns but small shortcuts( something R* lack IMO). I make really hard city races and some city outskirts races that feel more like a grand torusimo race. After around 2+ hours of perfecting a PART of a map you will have less of a problem racing it in a actual race yours or anothers. Just try it out n you'll see what I mean. It even has benefits to R and $$$

2. I like to drive in the highest/ furthest camera angle so I can see around tight corners without having to pan the camera and so if and I say if I wasn't paying attention to my radar or hearing a engine pulling up then a visual would help to.

3. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR GPS BUT DONT STARE AT IT!!!! If you done a race before you should have a good idea what's going on so when you see a checkpoint and you know everything is good look at your minimap by pressing down on the D Pad once to update yourself on other races times ahead or behind your position and twice to ENLARGE your mini map. Enlarging your mini map can give you a visual on what's going on in the race but be warned it takes up A LOT of the screen so use when you know you can

3. In the lobby for picking cars you can see what other players have picked by pressing Y/tri

4. Most of the time it pays to learn to be a defensive driver before being a...PIT driver. If your know how a PIT driver is you can avoid it and make them look stupid and losing major time :)

5. If you have to bump then bump on TURNS! If you your going high speed to catch up and you realize to late that your turns coming up drift your car to SLIGHTLY side swipe theirs. If you just exchange light paint you did a good job and your now tied or ahead.
Don't bump racers from the back unless you know what your doing cause you can just give them a good boost and you lose speed
Don't try to bump a Adder if your a lightweight. Adders are like tanks for Super cars. If your going to do you better have good T boneing skills

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hey Racers I really liked all the detailed explanation on how to win races while having fun and respecting other racers!

I would like to add a few thing to this list myself:

1. CREATE SOME OF YOUR RACES IN THE CREATOR BETA. This will help you learn the areas you would like the race in, get better in, just have fun. Building a proper track which involves not only sharp turns but small shortcuts( something R* lack IMO). I make really hard city races and some city outskirts races that feel more like a grand torusimo race. After around 2+ hours of perfecting a PART of a map you will have less of a problem racing it in a actual race yours or anothers. Just try it out n you'll see what I mean. It even has benefits to R and $$$

2. I like to drive in the highest/ furthest camera angle so I can see around tight corners without having to pan the camera and so if and I say if I wasn't paying attention to my radar or hearing a engine pulling up then a visual would help to.

3. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR GPS BUT DONT STARE AT IT!!!! If you done a race before you should have a good idea what's going on so when you see a checkpoint and you know everything is good look at your minimap by pressing down on the D Pad once to update yourself on other races times ahead or behind your position and twice to ENLARGE your mini map. Enlarging your mini map can give you a visual on what's going on in the race but be warned it takes up A LOT of the screen so use when you know you can

3. In the lobby for picking cars you can see what other players have picked by pressing Y/tri

4. Most of the time it pays to learn to be a defensive driver before being a...PIT driver. If your know how a PIT driver is you can avoid it and make them look stupid and losing major time :)

5. If you have to bump then bump on TURNS! If you your going high speed to catch up and you realize to late that your turns coming up drift your car to SLIGHTLY side swipe theirs. If you just exchange light paint you did a good job and your now tied or ahead.
Don't bump racers from the back unless you know what your doing cause you can just give them a good boost and you lose speed
Don't try to bump a Adder if your a lightweight. Adders are like tanks for Super cars. If your going to do you better have good T boneing skills

some good tips dude,,, and i think you did jsut add to the thread ;)

Ive higlighted 2 and 5 for different reasons

2 is a good one, i never really think about this but thats the exact camera angle i use, for the exact same reason... looking further ahead on the road and having a wider fleidl of vision is a massive help in avoiding contact and anticipating obstacles

with 5. This takes alot of precision to get right, matched speed and an even contact (i.e side by side like this \\ || or //) any mistmatched angles will increase the chance of spin outs, esp on corners.... that said for more seasoned drivers it is something to bear in mind, i was in a couple of races last night where i used this exact technique to "correct" someones driving line after they were slightly caught by anotehr driver... it actually worked out well and we both ended up in the right direction with the right speed coming out of the corner...

deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

also forgot to add a couple other things

If the sun is out esp during sunrise and sunset there will be a ORANGE GLARE on the screen when facing the sun.  This is great for passing and blocking racers dont forget turns cause the glare can make you and turns harder to see

If your a host and you want TRAFFIC ON then you have to pay attention to the time of day- IDEAL traffic in order is

MORNING cause its traffic, the sun is coming out so you can see but has a night time feel, npc and the city has its lights on still.

NIGHT traffic is low theres is minumul light in out of the city so if your night lights get broken be prepared to go alittle slower

AFTERNOON TRAFFIC the WORST TIME TO RACE FOR BEGINNERS, plain and simple its not that easy to weave in and out of traffic at high speeds when the roads are packed with freaking NPC's that want to run into

To add to NPC's they have a few different actions that include

Flashing the brights, SLOWING DOWN(not handbrake), honking the horn.   I never said that they will try to move out of the way. Think of it like a Driver Accident Court Joke...Your honor i flashed my lights slowed down and honked my horn....even though i didnt try to get out of the way lol

If you run into a NPC head on dont try to push him out of the way. Cause the NPC will most likely gas it forward and if you do the same youll get into a tug of war. so just back up and pull away as fast as possible

GTA WANTED LVL   If you have Wanted Lvl on you can get a 2-3 stars and use the cops as body gaurds. at that low of a lvl they wont try to ram you but there will be a few around on your 6 most of the time and you can use them to block other cars trying to pass

ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE IM W 114 AND L 136 IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD RACING CLAN(and makes racing maps) I NEED A RACING PARTNER SO I CAN START SHAKE N BAKE LIKE RICKY BOBBY :)

I actually don't ram people at the end of races but I do try to block them from passing which often results in me ramming them unintentionally.

It's a tough choice between blocking and hanging back at the end of a race to get that slipstream win. I feel like both are equally lame methods of racing though so I prefer the blocking method because at least then I make no bones about being in the lead the entire race. IE: Actually racing as opposed to not passing someone that's slower intentionally to use the physics to my advantage. That whole concept to me seems alien and improper given that it's supposed to be a race, you should never be slowing down or intentionally not passing someone if you can pass them.

If you are ahead then by all means block that racer but if your behind then SS them but sometimes it pays to slow down a tad let them catch to slip stream and block them till a sharp turn and make sure to pull ahead of them on the turn and if you do it right they wont have enough time to react with the SS speed and go flying past the turn :)

• mo-seph and seb0range like this

wowsuchmama
  • wowsuchmama

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Spray painting your fully modded Adder chrome will allow you to get a MASSIVE boost at the start of races. It also gives you a 75% speed increase. Try it out guys.

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

NO BULLSHlT ALLOWED Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Know your car !

And stick with one car (per category) as much as you can.

I used to almost only drive my RH8, and only race with it. Which made me a very good driver / racer (not bragging, just saying) winning almost 90% of the races in my early days (before level 100 basically)

Recently I've created another character with different cars, and been playing with both characters. Not racing much anymore but driving all kind of cars of my 20 different PVs. And I have to say that my racing capacities decreased a lot since I started driving random cars or "second class" cars instead of sticking with the ones I perfectly knew.

Now even going back to my faithful RH8 and driving it like I used to is kind of hard.

deffjeff87
  • deffjeff87

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hey I was making a hard off road race and I finally learned how to drive off road so here are some tips

DON'T DRIVE LIKE YOUR IN THE CITY. These are hills and you can ramp up hill and pass the checkpoint and then roll down the hip forcing you to respawn so take it easy

DON'T SLAM ON THE GAS. When your vehicle is at 0 mph you want to slightly press in the gas trigger so you don't peel out and you can drive up a almost straight vertical mountain if you drive slow

FALLING. When your falling off a mountain flipping over or spinning out of control one of the best things)you can do(is use RB NOT L TRIGGER(reverse) and every time your wheels touch the ground you need to try and COUNTER STEER that way you set it a little more straight each time

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Mo-seph's and horse1001's threads have been merged at the request of both parties. Good idea :^:

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

Hey I was making a hard off road race and I finally learned how to drive off road so here are some tips

DON'T DRIVE LIKE YOUR IN THE CITY. These are hills and you can ramp up hill and pass the checkpoint and then roll down the hip forcing you to respawn so take it easy

DON'T SLAM ON THE GAS. When your vehicle is at 0 mph you want to slightly press in the gas trigger so you don't peel out and you can drive up a almost straight vertical mountain if you drive slow

FALLING. When your falling off a mountain flipping over or spinning out of control one of the best things)you can do(is use RB NOT L TRIGGER(reverse) and every time your wheels touch the ground you need to try and COUNTER STEER that way you set it a little more straight each time

xbox or ps? If xbox send it to me, ill let you know if it's hard.

Probably the bigest thing on off road is knowing how much your car will slide at what speed, and knowing how to land properly.
  • KristoLewis likes this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:47 AM Edited by mo-seph, 05 February 2014 - 10:08 AM.

xbox or ps? If xbox send it to me, ill let you know if it's hard.

Probably the bigest thing on off road is knowing how much your car will slide at what speed, and knowing how to land properly.

Definately true,

off road racing takes a different approach in learnng the tolerance of your vehicle

With the limited traction offroad you need to be braking mroe in the approach, while your car is still striaght, then easing off both gas and brake to make the turn, returning on the gas wh8ile your peeling out of the corner.

it takes a very steady hand to feather the accelerator through an off-road corner,, if you can master it then it will give you a huuuuge advantage over the rest of the pack who will either

a) approach too fast and spin out

or

b) slow down so much that even your slight feathering will mean your constantly gaining in the corners

A couple of my UGC races incorporate both on and off road elements to really test the drivers ability to adjust style, on the on raod sections you can flat out and take sharper (90 degree) corners at pretty high speed, but the shalllower off road corners require a totally different technique

On the subject of off-road cornering there's also what id probably call the "Lightening McQueen Technique" (at least thats how i had to explain it to my daughter on other driving games....) for those who have kids and have seen Cars youlll know the line "sometimes if you want to go left, you need to turn right"...

this is very true, while drifting in a corner you need to flip your steering the opposite way to retain control.... so in a left hand drift, turning your wheels to the right mean they are actually facing forwards... this increases traction and particularly in front wheel drive vehicles the "drive" is actually facing the right direction, giving you more control and stability in the turn... you do have to be quick to switch from one to the other and back,, but it does stop you from spinning a full 180

good to see some more tips posted in here... if i get time i may pull some out and add to the OP with relevant credits :)

• hornedturtle likes this

Ericanoel6
  • Ericanoel6

ACT1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

Nice post. Thanks :cool:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users