Quantcast

» «
Photo

Time Machine: Would you kill Adolf Hitler as a child?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
149 replies to this topic
EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

No. Killing a historical figure who changed the course of the world because of selfish personal butthurt reasons is outright foolishness. You might as well assassinate Nero, King Leonidas and Elizabeth Báthory.

And, as others have said, most modern technology we have today is because of the Nazis.

The Nazis really don't get enough credit for their brilliant scientists and engineers they had.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

No. Because then it would mean that the world right now would be dramatically different and I doubt it would be better than it is now. Without Hitler Stalin would've probably controlled most of Europe instead of only half of it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

This thread has got me thinking- can anyone think of a single historical figure whom the entire removal of from the annals of history would have a solely positive impact? 

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

This thread has got me thinking- can anyone think of a single historical figure whom the entire removal of from the annals of history would have a solely positive impact? 

How about that guy who buggered a monkey and contracted AIDS.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:13 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 23 January 2014 - 11:19 PM.

Would rather do Hawthorne in. That asshole ruined 10th grade English for me.

It's impossible to tell. Everything is connected if you think about it. It's like an infinite line of dominoes. I'd say no.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Jesus?

• lil weasel likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

There is no way to answer that question with any shred of credibility. It would just be pure speculation. What about Genghis Khan though? Or Caligula?

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:24 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 23 January 2014 - 11:24 PM.

There is no way to answer that question with any shred of credibility. It would just be pure speculation. What about Genghis Khan though? Or Caligula?

The problem with that is that they may have inspired something or someone that, whether directly or indirectly, inspired someone or something to do something positive. For example, killing Ghengis Khan would erase a really large chapter of history... and you'd likely be killing off millions of other people (via all the kids he fathered) who are very likely to be good people. There's good and bad in everything.

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

The problem with that is that they may have inspired something or someone that, whether directly or indirectly, inspired someone or something to do something positive. For example, killing Ghengis Khan would erase a really large chapter of history... and you'd likely be killing off millions of other people (via all the kids he fathered) who are very likely to be good people. There's good and bad in everything.

You would have also saved the innocent victims though, not only from his own conquests, but from those of his sons. You'd probably save more than you would kill by erasing his bloodline.

But still it is a silly argument to have because it is entirely speculative. There could have been a worse guy there that would have taken over if he never existed. Who knows.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Jesus?

he said historical figure.

not legend.

• Finn 7 five 11, StormerBoy and theadmiral like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Jesus?

he said historical figure.

not legend.

There was a guy that existed. That much is widely accepted by most scholars. Everything else is up for interpretation.

• Moth, Adler, StormerBoy and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

I probably wouldn't. Think about it, if Hitler gets killed as a child, what if Hitler's DAD blames his son's death on the Jews and continues history as it should?

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:38 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 23 January 2014 - 11:38 PM.

What if we bring Hitler back to the future, and he becomes a stereotypical Millennial? Throw him to Liberal Arts General Studies degree and $40k debt, give him a bong, slide him an xbox.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

I think I've developed a hemorroid while reading this Hitler debate

It wasn't this thread that gave you hemorrhoids, it was the Icehouse beer. :D

Lmao.. probably right.
  • WBaker likes this

tokyocean
  • tokyocean

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

I don't think enough people are aware of the butterfly effect. One thing changes; everything changes. If Hitler didn't do what he did, you might not even be here in this world. If Hitler never did what he did, you might not even have met some of the people who mean a whole lot to you, the people you're grateful for.

I'm not commending Hitler for what he did. I'm just saying great things come as a result of bad things thanks to the butterfly effect.

• DeafMetal likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

can anyone think of a single historical figure whom the entire removal of from the annals of history would have a solely positive impact? 

Easy. Mussolini. Spirali pasta would've had more spirals had he succeeded.

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 and universetwisters like this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Emperor Constantine.

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

Jesus?

13325%20-%20in_your_house%20logo%20over_

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Jesus?

This derailment of the topic goes unnoticed?
Anyway, Jesus Christ would be the one 'person' (if not a person the idea) would be the most significant deletion in all the worlds history. Think of it, no inquisition, no KKK, et al.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Nope, While it Brought bad sh*t, WWII brought some pretty amazing Technological advancements, Jets, Nuclear Science, etc...

I don't think I'd feel right robbing the current world of such discoveries.

• lil weasel likes this

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

What if we bring Hitler back to the future, and he becomes a stereotypical Millennial? Throw him to Liberal Arts General Studies degree and $40k debt, give him a bong, slide him an xbox.

I think you mean Hipster Hitler.

• Banana and DeafMetal like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

There was a guy that existed. That much is widely accepted by most scholars.

in all likelihood he just suffered from a rare case of extreme schizophrenia (impossible to diagnose at the time) combined with incredible public speaking ability and impenetrable self-confidence (possibly amplified by the schizo delusions). next thing you know he's got a hooker and an eclectic group of hippies following him around the desert telling everyone that he's the father of the universe and the one-true religion.

if Jesus existed today, his demeanor would be indistinguishable from Charles Manson....

• StormerBoy likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

There was a guy that existed. That much is widely accepted by most scholars.

in all likelihood he just suffered from a rare case of extreme schizophrenia (impossible to diagnose at the time) combined with incredible public speaking ability and impenetrable self-confidence (possibly amplified by the schizo delusions). next thing you know he's got a hooker and an eclectic group of hippies following him around the desert telling everyone that he's the father of the universe and the one-true religion.

if Jesus existed today, his demeanor would be indistinguishable from Charles Manson....

Well no, Jesus went around feeding the poor and tending to the sick. I'm not sure Sharon Tate would agree to the comparison.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

45174828.jpg

If only people on the internet would stop trying to be edgy for once.

• Killerdude8 likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

Nah. I don't think I could kill a kid. Not because of the paradox stuff everyone always brings up when this topic comes up, but because killing children is the most awful thing, and I don't want to be directly responsible for any children's deaths.

If I had a chance to meet Hitler as a kid I'd give him some anti-german propaganda or something; convince him that Germany isn't worth living in.

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Why not go back and kill Caesar instead and prevent the Roman Republic from collapsing into the Roman Empire?

Why not kill Charlemagne and let the Moors roam Francia?

Why not kill Christian IV and let Denmark keep Skåne, Halland and Blekinge?

Why not kill Louis XVI and hope for a better king to prevent the French Revolution?

Speaking of which, why not George III?

And if we are going to talk about Hitler, why not kill Bismarck to prevent the unification of Germany which set the pieces in place for the First World War, which led to the Second World War.

Why not Napoleon for that matter?

There are so many more interesting choices to kill, all of which would prevent Hitler from becoming relevant.  And monarchies would control the world to this day.

Why is there always someone that replies in more sh*tty rhetorical questions?

And I probably would to see what kind of paradox would happen, then I'd prevent myself from doing it unless it actually benefits myself.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

Why kill him as a child? That would be very suspicious to the local authorities. Have him die when he was fighting in WW1, then nobody will bat an eyelid at his death.

jeracoo
  • jeracoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Killing him as a child doesn't work out too well, or at least it doesn't in my gamebook kickstarter.com/projects/376100657/killing-hitler-with-praise-an-fire-choose-your-own

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Who Wouldn't go back in time and kill Hitler if they had the chance?  Gimme a break.....

No. Killing a historical figure who changed the course of the world because of selfish personal butthurt reasons is outright foolishness. You might as well assassinate Nero, King Leonidas and Elizabeth Báthory.

And, as others have said, most modern technology we have today is because of the Nazis.

The Nazis really don't get enough credit for their brilliant scientists and engineers they had.

Yeah, the brilliant scientists and engineers that for the most part wanted NOTHING to do with Nazism.  How many brilliant men and women were put to death by Nazism merely because of their race?  

Also, let's not forget about Robert Goddard, an american, and TRUE inventor of rocket science.  

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

I can think of two.

Thatcher-and-Reagan-007.jpg

• make total destroy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users