Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why did hard rock lose mainstream popularity?

70 replies to this topic
OmegaEvolution
  • OmegaEvolution

Royalty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:48 PM Edited by OmegaEvolution, 14 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

Commercial POP music or DISCO has always sucked, to be honest, even in the 1980s, the 1970s, 60s, there were horrible songs on the top charts, the mass public seemed to like it, but my ears don't lie to me, as far as I'm concerned, what I've heard and then re-listen to over the years, if it stands up to repeat listening, and it's generally considered a lost gem, or iconic classic, chances are you're on to something.

Hard Rock and Heavy Metal to me is honest, wholesome music because it comes from the same place historically as the earliest BLUES music origins, US African American slave music, in many respects. Blues inspired all manner of Rock and Roll, add to that elements of Jazz, which also predates it.

^^^ Implying modern pop sucks

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Because it doesn't appeal to the current generation or utilise new/innovative ways to make music.

tjor24
  • tjor24

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

If I had to guess the next big thing seems to be electronic music or whatever it's called...

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yeah I hear that 'electronic music' is gonna be huge.

Keep it on the DL tho

• Myron likes this

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

After Grunge, which really changed the scene for both musicians and fans, there seemed to be a push of College Radio artists, which still exists today, but for me, genres already defined by their lasting fan base stick around no matter what, that covers Country, Jazz, Classical, Pop, Rock, rap, R and B, etc. There's a core group that favor the best musicians of each genre. but at the same time, we hope there's a resurgence and growth

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:21 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 04 May 2014 - 11:25 PM.

Simple, people want to listen to "good" stuff so they head over to the charts and listen to the top 10 or 50 or whatever and stop listening after a week.

So I guess it's because hard rock doesn't make it into the charts. Granted there's a few modern exceptions like Ozzy with 13 (think that's the album name) and I honestly can't think of anything other than that. It doesn't help that most artists are going for pop and the other "top" genres in the charts because they think rock songs will do as well, which I can't blame them if people actually liked One D, JB... WILL I AM (f*cking creative name there... Will I f*cking am) and mother of god... LMFAO... don't get me started on them. Then Nickelback... uggg. They're trying to do something they can't.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

I honestly don't think charts a music trend make, Looked back at the 'birth of hip hop' recently, based on a show called History Detectives.

You didn't hear about Billboard or other charts or media other then radio or even street performers. Some of you guys don't even recall a life without being plugged into the WWW, but there was certainly Rolling Stone magazine and others for some years.

I think in terms of 60s and 70s trends, TV certainly played a part, with exposure like Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, Dick Clark's American Bandstand. Soul Train.

Smothers Brothers. Just the USA outlets, Midnight Special (sadly missed a lot still)

I think radio played a massive role that's just not what it once was, even with ability to get signals in different ways.

I think people of my generation, a LARGE part are not committed to music as a major part of their life or past-time, and just passed through a phase, I think this will be true of people living through this generation as well, and I think we're covering 30 to 40 years overall.

• Mister Pink likes this

darthvader20011
  • darthvader20011

lets go bowling

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:10 PM Edited by darthvader20011, 09 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.

Because, this generation of teenagers are mindless sheep and will listen to any stupid sh*t like Lil Wayne and Drake. For some reason, teenagers like these "artists" that only make songs about partying, or bragging about how much money they have.  And I have to call these dumbasses "my generation".

Check out my country then, there are some people that sings about same thing but in Romania. Also they edit another songs to put their rhymes instead (like Tranquilla) about *cough* their money and girlfriends and love :( They are named 'Manele' here (not Rap songs) :p
Anyways even if rock, metal and others aren't on minestream popularity I still like them :) This makes me to listen again to Rise Against songs :)

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by Sakuya, 09 May 2014 - 07:40 PM.

It's simple: modern hard rock is trash. The best band on the scene is Avenged Sevenfold and that fact alone should tell you how bad it is. At best, a hard rock band is an old metal band who lost their edge. At worst, it's a cynical cash-in on people like you who don't like radio pop and are too stupid to realize the radio is a sh*t source for music.

It basically is pop for dumbasses in Tapout shirts now.
  • Nipperkins likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

It's simple: modern hard rock is trash. The best band on the scene is Avenged Sevenfold and that fact alone should tell you how bad it is. At best, a hard rock band is an old metal band who lost their edge. At worst, it's a cynical cash-in on people like you who don't like radio pop and are too stupid to realize the radio is a sh*t source for music.

IDK... you do get those bands that somehow manage to pull it off and do it right.

Obviously this is an opinion but I think Rammstein has managed to pull it off, they're not a modern band by "idiot standards" but by logical standards they are quite modern. The fact they their songs are mainly in German likely puts people off but they have managed to pull it off IMO.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

IDK... you do get those bands that somehow manage to pull it off and do it right.

Obviously this is an opinion but I think Rammstein has managed to pull it off, they're not a modern band by "idiot standards" but by logical standards they are quite modern. The fact they their songs are mainly in German likely puts people off but they have managed to pull it off IMO.

I know they were big last decade and may still be going, but I don't consider a band modern unless they're still pumping out relevant material. I mean, AC/DC put out an album a while ago, but you still wouldn't call them modern. Said album was standard fare at best and really served no purpose other than putting their grandkids through college.

That said, as you may have gathered, I don't listen to hard rock radio, so maybe those two bands are more relevant than I know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users