Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why did hard rock lose mainstream popularity?

70 replies to this topic
woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

For a few decades hard rock was the music of the youth and it was what drove most youth culture. From Stones to Led Zeppelin to Guns n Roses to Nirvana it was some of the biggest music out there. This all changed in the 2000s and now pop and hip hop are the dominant music forms. Why did this happen and how can we bring back hard rock is the a dominant genre?

• stjimmy3 likes this

fuko
  • fuko

██████

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

pop was always the dominant style
hence being called pop
  • Mister Pink and Mr Oraange like this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Because culture doesn't exist in a time vacuum and things change.

• Moonshield, trip, Tyler and 1 other like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Because, this generation of teenagers are mindless sheep and will listen to any stupid sh*t like Lil Wayne and Drake. For some reason, teenagers like these "artists" that only make songs about partying, or bragging about how much money they have.  And I have to call these dumbasses "my generation".

• Failure, Jimmy_Leppard, Ex Hellraiser and 1 other like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Because we are evolving back to the simian.

I tend to blame grunge movement too.

• Tyler and lolleroz like this

fuko
  • fuko

██████

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Because, this generation of teenagers are mindless sheep and will listen to any stupid sh*t like Lil Wayne and Drake. For some reason, teenagers like these "artists" that only make songs about partying, or bragging about how much money they have.  And I have to call these dumbasses "my generation".

delusional parrot post of the year 2014
  • El_Diablo, 02fishera and Mockage like this

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

The evolution of hip hop and electronic music, and advancement of production technology gave way to a wider range of genres.
Rock became too derivative and itself split off into other genres because there's no money in the same old sh*t.

This is just how it goes as trends change. Even at rock's peak there were those wondering what happened to rock n roll, jazz, country. In 10-20 years there might be significantly less interest in everything popular now.

If you only like hard rock then fair enough, it may be a little harder to find and it'll never be as good as the old stuff, but there are bands still making that kind of music.

Although it'd bode well for you to broaden your taste a little if you have an interest in music, rather than box yourself in.
  • Mister Pink and gtarelatedusername2 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

I love all kinds of genres but I find there is not much new rock to listen to anymore.

I do sort of blame grunge as well. It many ways it sucked the fun out of rock. 

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Music will always evolve. If people aren't listening to something then it's not marketable and producers won't back it.

Hard rock was dead long before grunge.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

I don't know. Why should I give a sh*t what's popular and what's not?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Grunge sucked the fun? Grunge was just a reaction to leggings-wearing, perm-sporting make-up-hair-metal. When Rock became almost like pop, wearing make-up, really cashing in on this self-aware genre, there had to be a counter and that's what Grunge is. Same with Punk in the 70's retaliation to long guitar solos etc. It was a f*ck you, we can do music to but in our own, don't-give-a-f*ck way.

Things go in cycles. It's simple and I'll use San Andreas' map as an example. If you are bored in LS, you hang out in LV for a while. When you're bored in LV, you might so to SF. When your bored in SF, you might go back to LS. Same thing is happening in Hip Hop. Notice how all modern pop-Hip Hop has minimalist beats and are all usually created on a Roland 808 (the beats). The 808 has made a huge comeback. In the 90's there was more use of sampling "organic beats" from old Soul and Funk tracks. Producers got bored of that sound, copyright infringement was really enforced, laws changed and the creation of VST's and music production software and nostalgia and a particular influential producer made the 808 cool again and made music more accessible to the everyday person. You didn't have to have record label-backing to rent a big studio and extortionate rates, people could create music from home. gone are the days when only huge bands like Pink Floyd and Yes could afford synths...when the prices of synths dropped in the 80's, after the 70's, there was a huge explosion of New Wave and electronic and synth based music that mainly started in Britain.  

Also, Classic Rock was newer back then. The Beatles paved the way from Rock music as we know it. They were so influential. You can trace 90% of modern rock back to them in terms of influence. The 70's came along and Zeppelin knocked The Beatles off the top of the charts in 1970. Rock music's sound got heavier, solos got longer and Rock music peaked then. Music wasn't as available as it is today. Record company scouts so profitable, talented bands that would sell albums and tickets. Now, with the internet and the almost endless reach artists now have, there's markets for what people want to hear.... sub-genres such as Dubstep can become worldwide phenomenon. The internet connects people and through genres of music, unlike before.

The question is....why does anything change? Most people don't like to listen to the same music all their lives. I always kind of find it sad watching the old rocker in a bar....with a band t-shirt from the 70's. I mean there's so much great music out there and these guys just listen to the same sh*t for 40+ years. 

For some people and a young and naiive me, thought Rock music is like the basis of all music. Such an arrogant and illogical thought. Any new music I tried to listen to, I was almost trying to squeeze through my rock filter. Like trying to fit a triangle block through a square fitting. What I needed to do was just smash those blocks and unlearn everything and just soak in all the best music that's available to me. 

There are so many variables that come in to play.... I could go on and on...but they're just my humble ramblings.

• Moonshield, Kippers, Failure and 4 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Punk was raw, aggressive and still fun while grunge though good for a while eventually turned rock into wrist slitting angsty music and it hasn't changed since. Young people in general want to have fun and rock after grunge is just not giving them that experience anymore. The 80s bands had their faults but they at least looked like they were enjoying themselves. Grunge angst eventually became just as cliche as hair bands.

• RoadRunner71 likes this

SomeBoredDude
  • SomeBoredDude

Long Live The CNW!

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

This is why I now lsiten to house,elctro and trance not just metal and rock.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

We, as humans, like changes and like something new - whether it's a new sexual partner every month, a new movie every saturday or music.. A simple change brings unexplored, unexpected and adventurous things to the table. When you combine that with the fact that these new generations all pretty much get bored easily and don't like being stuck to the same thing for a longer period of time, you get what you have now. And I don't think that will change. I'm not saying it's a completely good or bad thing, but there are pros and cons on both sides anyhow.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:50 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 23 January 2014 - 04:51 PM.

Punk was raw, aggressive and still fun while grunge though good for a while eventually turned rock into wrist slitting angsty music and it hasn't changed since. Young people in general want to have fun and rock after grunge is just not giving them that experience anymore. The 80s bands had their faults but they at least looked like they were enjoying themselves. Grunge angst eventually became just as cliche as hair bands.

I don't think Grunge became wrist-slitting angsty music. You can also say Grunge was raw, aggressive and fun. I can think of more folk music that would be wrist-slitting inducing than Grunge is. That's the stereotype. Yes, it may be angsty but most Rock and Roll was, letting some sort of anger out, beginning with the Blues, moving on to Metal. It's like saying all metal is about is satan-worshippers and pentagrams which is patently untrue.  

If Pearl Jam's Ten is considered a Grunge album...fine... but I think they are more closer to Classic Rock than Grunge... nice riffs, guitar solos etc. 

Also, splitting down genres for Rock around that time is like splitting hairs. 

• Ex Hellraiser, needtocontrol and gtarelatedusername2 like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Because we are evolving back to the simian.

I tend to blame grunge movement too.

I blame the pop punk movement. Grunge was nowhere near as marketable as pop punk.

Now, popular rock has turned to appeal to emos because rockers now pity themselves for liking rock.

• gtarelatedusername2 likes this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

For a few decades hard rock was the music of the youth and it was what drove most youth culture. From Stones to Led Zeppelin to Guns n Roses to Nirvana it was some of the biggest music out there. This all changed in the 2000s and now pop and hip hop are the dominant music forms. Why did this happen and how can we bring back hard rock is the a dominant genre?

Most likely because of newer genres becoming mainstream like hip hop ( I'm not trying to bash hip hop I just don't like it) I'm not a fan never will be but it was something so.....different

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

Kids these day associate hard rock with such bands as Asking Alexandria and Sleeping with Sirens. With that knowledge, can you blame them for steering away from the genre?

• Moonshield and gtamann123 like this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Kids these day associate hard rock with such bands as Asking Alexandria and Sleeping with Sirens. With that knowledge, can you blame them for steering away from the genre?

I've never heard of these bands maybe I'm living under a rock

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Very lame bands marketed towards angsty teenage girls.  

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breathe After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

delusional parrot post of the year 2014

Going with fuko on this one.

I'm a teenager myself, I don't listen to stupid sh*t like Lil Wayne and Drake. According to your logic, I'm a mindless sheep and a dumbass, right? Maybe if you could look outside of the box and hang with people who aren't the types of morons you prattle about then maybe you would stop generalizing people.

• Tyler likes this

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

I think one of the main reasons for the rock genre being so unappealing (in my opinion) these days is to do with the advances in technology and how it is being used in music. There are hardly any bands these days that have the same kind of raw and organic sound that rock bands in the 60s and 70s had. Not that its a bad thing entirely but it makes everything under the same genre sound too similar and watered down in a sense. You don't really get just rock anymore, it's either indie rock, electro rock or pop-rock etc. The entire genre has been completely spread out yet there's still a lack of much originality or innovation, it all sounds exactly the same as it has since bands like coldplay and muse started.

• Failure likes this

doublehelix
  • doublehelix

Unbalanced

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

In a perverse way being popular is what kills it. Grunge and all that moody indie rock of the 90's was a natural reaction to the preceding era where a million interchangeable hair metal bands took some ACDC or Van Halen formula and basically kicked it to death on a massive coke fueled drag queen MTV binge until the world was just sick to death of it. 

You see it today with all that mainstream hip hop landfill working overtime to destroy whatever poetic or artistic credibility that genre may have had left. You seen it in the naughtys with punk and indie music IMO. Personally I think you'll always get good music in amongst all the landfill hence the GTA Vice City soundtrack being so awesome for example. But I think that's the reality of music as a business. A winning formula is found, oversold until saturation point and something else replaces it. Rock and Roll was never exempt from this cycle.

Also a simple answer is kids don't wanna listen to the music their parents or grandparents listen to.  :pp

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Very lame bands marketed towards angsty teenage girls.  

What a couple of moronic and narrow minded posts. I've been a fan of Sleeping With Sirens for some time now, along with many other Post-Hardcore bands like Silverstein, We Came As Romans and A Skylit Drive. Not once have I tried to or heard anyone claim that any of those bands can be considered "hard rock." Just look at the name of the genre for goodness sake, Post Hardcore. It's what followed.

Your second comment is a very poor, sweeping generalization. Are there angsty teens who listen to the genre? Sure. But Post Hardcore is aimed at those who want an up-tempo sound with lyrics about subjects that have more depth to them then simply pining over a lost love, partying on Fridays or hanging out in "The Hood."

If you dislike the genre, then fair enough. But there's no need whatsoever to slate it with such close-minded generalizations.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

No where did I say post hardcore was hard rock, only that kids associate those bands with hard rock.

As for post hardcore being complete sh*t... well, I think most people who know enough about music would agree with me that it is.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I think one of the main reasons for the rock genre being so unappealing (in my opinion) these days is to do with the advances in technology and how it is being used in music. There are hardly any bands these days that have the same kind of raw and organic sound that rock bands in the 60s and 70s had. Not that its a bad thing entirely but it makes everything under the same genre sound too similar and watered down in a sense. You don't really get just rock anymore, it's either indie rock, electro rock or pop-rock etc. The entire genre has been completely spread out yet there's still a lack of much originality or innovation, it all sounds exactly the same as it has since bands like coldplay and muse started.

Indeed. 'Rock' now doesn't sound like rock then. Most I hear are just soft, repetitive and unappealing riffs, playing without any emotion, continuous use of distorted voices... 

Man, I'm gonna cry, I'm stuck in some era I will never be able to live  :cry:

02fishera
  • 02fishera

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

No where did I say post hardcore was hard rock, only that kids associate those bands with hard rock.

As for post hardcore being complete sh*t... well, I think most people who know enough about music would agree with me that it is.

No where did I say that you claimed that Post Hardcore was hard rock. 

Yet again, you take the same old close minded approach. You simply dismiss it as being sh*t and say that most will agree with you, but on what basis? You've provided no reason to back up why you're dismissing an entire genre, instead you've just thrown out a few misinformed stereotypes.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I've been around enough people who both listened and played post hardcore to decide it was sh*t. I will let others decide, does this sound like sh*t?

02fishera
  • 02fishera

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:18 PM Edited by 02fishera, 02 February 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Asking Alexandria, so I'm not going to defend that song. But there's no way you can define an ENTIRE genre on one band. There’s more post hardcore than just screaming. Sure, there's a lot of screamo bands, but there's a huge melodic presence within post hardcore, along with catchy upbeat songs that are great for casual listening, which is what I personally choose to listen to.

http://www.youtube.c...?v=toLHO9SvfxU[

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

That's like one step above pop punk. Trust me, I've listened to enough Post Hardcore and Metalcore to call it sh*t.*

Except Fugazi. Fugazi is good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users