True Detective on HBO

124 replies to this topic
Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

The acting from woody and mathew is honestly top tier, the dark atmosphere of the show is really great.  I love mcconaughey's character and acting in the show especially it's definitely something I would have never expected to see out of him.

Spoiler

• Mister Pink, Ferocious Banger and A-Wax8 like this

Magic Mike
  • Magic Mike

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

Best show since Breaking Bad ended.

Fans of the one-take lengthy shot should take a look into Bela Tarr's filmography.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

This is really cool.

http://www.wekeepthe...romthedoor.com/

• Odesza likes this

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

This is really cool.

One of the coolest fan sites I've seen for a show. I love love the artwork. Fantastic find.
  • Max likes this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

This is really cool.

One of the coolest fan sites I've seen for a show. I love love the artwork. Fantastic find.

This.

Pretty creative, it's depressing to know though that if this show comes back for a second season it apparently will be with different detectives.

• Forty likes this

KeepCalm and CarryGun
  • KeepCalm and CarryGun

Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

• Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

In terms of performance, cinematography and narrative scope, this is one of the best things you can watch right now.

Given the era jumping nature of the storyline, and the (presumed) finality of the (yet to be seen) last episode, it's not a surprise the cast will need to change, should there be a second season. 

It is a shame it's only 8 episodes long (hey I live in the UK, we only get 6 episodes a series/season anyway ;))

• Forty likes this

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

The level of and attention to detail in this series is astounding. It's akin to watching an eight hour film of the highest quality. I'm beyond impressed.
  • Ferocious Banger likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Same here. I've watched every episode at least twice. This show is incredible! I cannot wait for the finale!

• Forty likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

I will say one thing: it'll be damn hard to find a leading cast good enough to replace Matthew and Woody. Matthew's character especially is easily my favourite.

Looking forward to the final episode. Looking forward to it and yet it'll be bittersweet as it'll be over - at least with these two at the helm. 

• Ferocious Banger and Odesza like this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

I will say one thing: it'll be damn hard to find a leading cast good enough to replace Matthew and Woody. Matthew's character especially is easily my favourite.

Looking forward to the final episode. Looking forward to it and yet it'll be bittersweet as it'll be over - at least with these two at the helm. 

At this point I'd rather not see a replacement cast for them and instead just have it be a one time 8 episode thing.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

• TEoS, Attorney General and Ferocious Banger like this

Attorney General
  • Attorney General

psychonaut

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Haha, that's good sh*t, Yokel. 

Audiophile, as far as it being the end for these two. I feel the same way...p bummed that they won't be back. A good friend and I were talking the other night and we both agreed there's a decent chance to two black cops are the lead characters next season. They're certainly not as accomplished as Woody and McConaughey...but the one guy is fairly well known, and he was solid as Brother Mouzone in The Wire.  It might be a p tough sell because they're a pretty big drop off as far as quality. But seeing as we just found out who the Yellow King is, I think it would be p tough to wrap the whole thing up in just an hour.

What do you guys think?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

I think the new detectives may be the backbone of the series, but I reckon this story will get wrapped up as a team effort and the next season will be about another cold case.

Maybe that's too simplistic but I'd rather not seem this story get stretched out any farther than this season, personally...
  • Odesza likes this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

Maybe that's too simplistic but I'd rather not seem this story get stretched out any farther than this season, personally...

Agreed, although honestly I'd rather the whole show be ended at this point personally after the next episode.

While I'd love to see the talent the writing staff/creator have being used on another season I think I've really gotten into the show as much as I have because of woody/matt, don't think I'd watch another season with different actors.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

The cast this season really set the bar high for next season, for sure, but I'm definitely going to at least give them a chance to top themselves.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

The cast this season really set the bar high for next season, for sure, but I'm definitely going to at least give them a chance to top themselves.

I honestly think the reason this cast works so well together is because of the dark/mysterious atmosphere that surrounds matt's character.

• Ferocious Banger likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

This is really cool.

This.

Pretty creative, it's depressing to know though that if this show comes back for a second season it apparently will be with different detectives.

It would be silly if they focused on Rust and Marty on the second season because this is a 20 year story span, it wouldn't make much sense to have them investigate another huge case like this. Besides

Spoiler

I think having an anthology is a great idea though, as long as the next season is completely remote from season 1. Cameos from the previous season would be corny as hell.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:20 AM Edited by Odesza, 08 March 2014 - 12:43 AM.

This is really cool.

This.

It would be silly if they focused on Rust and Marty on the second season because this is a 20 year story span, it wouldn't make much sense to have them investigate another huge case like this. Besides

Spoiler

I think having an anthology is a great idea though, as long as the next season is completely remote from season 1. Cameos from the previous season would be corny as hell.

Yeah I know it would be silly considering the way the story has gone.

I'm just saying while realistically it's not really possible it sucks that these 8 episodes are pretty much all we'll see of a duo of two really perfect performances.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm just saying while realistically it's not really possible it sucks that these 8 episodes are pretty much all we'll see of a duo of two really perfect performances.

Yeah I get you, it's a shame that the season is over already.

I do agree with you to an extent, the second series might flop compared to the first one given what boots it has to fill.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

Bump because the ending was tonight and all I have to say is well sh*t.

Pretty intense.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

True Detective set a new standard for compelling television. What a stunning series.
  • The Yokel, Odesza and Mr. House like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

I loved it. I'd argue we've seen better overall lately, but Rust was easily one of the best characters of the past decade and holy sh*t that single take raid shot. So good.
  • Forty and Tyler like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:51 AM Edited by The Yokel, 10 March 2014 - 08:53 AM.

True Detective set a new standard for compelling television. What a stunning series.

Indeed. HBO does that almost every year. They've done it with The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and now True Detective. They're not afraid of any kind of controversy. That's what I love about them. They just let their creativity run wild.

• Attorney General likes this

TEoS
  • TEoS

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

In my search to understand the finale (I'm pretty obtuse when it comes to understanding the "deeper meaning" of things in movies and TV shows) I found this in the comments section of a review. Could be a load of sh*t, but it makes me feel like I "got it"

so it seems there's a bunch of people who have approached this show as a whodunnit from the beginning. That's totally fine, and frankly expected. Most of modern fiction and definitely modern television has groomed audiences with the addicting satisfaction of the whodunnit. For those of us who have read the works of H.P Lovecraft and other similar off-beat writers across a range of media recognize a lot of what we love in True Detective. The Yellow King is a "character" that has been passed down and built on by many authors, essentially it is a monstrous cosmic god that exists in the same pantheon as other beings of the Cthulhu Mythos (those unfamiliar look it up). Someone put it really well when they described the Louisiana cult as remnants of a far more nefarious organization, so the killer is essentially an inbred distilment of what the cult once was, however he plays against type as shown by his eccentric display at his house, he's the broken sad end of a once horrific institution, but there's still a fire behind that flabby surface. You can see that fire in the ruins of "Carcossa" and experience his true form as the disembodied voice of the last embers of the cult. Something strange that most people have not talked much about, is the "hallucination" Rust has before getting attacked. The sculpture with the tattered yellow robes and skulls is an avatar of the Yellow King, an effigy. That cosmic spinning maw coming from the infinite reaches of a deep dark space is the Yellow King itself, something elemental, old, and infinitely evil. It is a being that comes from the darkness that Marty mentions at the end, the dark that was before us and seems to be all around us. Rust being close to the madness can see beyond the wall of sanity, and in that instance perceives the cosmic deity. It is this entity and others like it that he refers to in his nearly deranged monologue to the detectives of those who exist outside of time and see it as a flat circle. This isn't why the show is as wonderful as it is, but it's certainly a great layer. For those skeptical, there's a reason why no one googled what the "Yellow King" was in the show. Two detectives would follow up such an important lead and find all the mythology surrounding it, from that you can draw the conclusion that Rust, Marty, and their world exist in the same space as the Mythos, and specifically, that of the Yellow King, who is also known as Hastur the Unspeakable, connected to Carcossa, and the lake Hali. It is Rust coming face to face with the deep dark and his near death that allows him to perceive something beyond the oldest darkness, something underlying it and existing completely beyond and within it, the all encompassing, deeply moving, warmth of Love.

Great finale, though I wish I could take a walk around Carcossa just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity. WHAT WAS IN THAT TUB!?

• Attorney General likes this

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

That theory is long winded and offers a lot of thoughts I'd have to take time and digest before I could aptly reply.

But I, too, want to know what was in the f*cking tub.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

I just finished watching the finale, I f*cking loved it.

I wish there was more than the eight episodes. Whatever season 2 holds in store, I don't know how they will top this. 

Loved that whole conversation about the stars; light vs dark. 

• Odesza likes this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Loved that whole conversation about the stars; light vs dark. 

Same, the whole conversation especially starting with rust talking about seeing his daughter and father was really great.

TEoS
  • TEoS

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Well, now that that's all over with, 

Now, in an interview with Alan Sepinwall that went up this morning, Pizzolatto dropped a hint as to what Season Two is going to look like (with the caveat that things can change, and HBO hasn’t even officially announced the renewal of the show. Although that is certainly a formality that will be addressed once they hire the new cast). “This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system,” he said. 

http://www.thewire.c...deliver/358991/

Occult history of the US transportation system? wat

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:41 AM Edited by Forty, 11 March 2014 - 09:42 AM.

Well, I'm aroused.

Attorney General
  • Attorney General

psychonaut

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, just came to say what TEoS said. Sounds badass. Although I heard it from a friend and he made it sound as if it had something to do with the New York subway system. Either way...I'm sure it'll be killer. 

Like a lot of you guys, I think it's going to be super f*ckin tough to top the acting of Woody and McConaughey...but I really feel like the writing was so superb and the success of the show so widespread over the last few months...that it'll draw some serious actors into the fold. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users