124 replies to this topic
Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

EBqb51Y.jpg

In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing') and directed by Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre,' 'Jane Eyre'), 'True Detective' stars Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart and Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. The series also stars Michelle Monaghan (‘Mission: Impossible III') as Maggie, Hart's wife; Kevin Dunn ('Veep') as Major Quesada, the supervising officer in 1995; and Tory Kittles ('Sons of Anarchy') and Michael Potts ('The Wire') as Dets. Papania and Gilbough, the investigators now probing Hart and Cohle for answers.

http://www.hbo.com/true-detective

After watching the first two episodes of this show, I can safely say that it is one of the best written new series I've seen in a long time. I was hooked from the first ten minutes. Harrelson and McConaughey's characters are so well done and the narrative style is extremely engaging. Is anyone else watching this? If not, you should be.

• Mister Pink and SAUL_SILVER like this

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:28 PM Edited by geobst, 20 January 2014 - 03:11 PM.

I saw this advertised on TV a few weeks ago. The moment that I saw Woody Harrelson in the advertisement I knew it'd be a good series; Harrelson's easily one of my top five. Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch any episodes on SKY Atlantic (which is basically the UK comparison of HBO). I've just started downloading the first episode from SKY: On Demand so I'll probably end up watching it in a few hours, which will probably end up with me bragging about the episode here!

I'm really digging some of the new TV shows. The only negative with having several awesome shows (E.G. Mad Men, Mob City etc.) is I always end up having to catch up after everybody else! A lot of popular shows air at the same time as one another over here in the UK (different channels)! 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

I plan to start watching True Detective but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

the first 2 episodes are waiting for me on the DVR. I'll probably watch them this week now that football is wrapping up.

if the show gets picked up long term, they've already announced that the format will be similar to The Wire.

there will be a common thread throughout the series, but each season may contain a whole new cast and new plot different from the previous. they won't able to keep A-list names like Harrelson or McConaughey for more than a single run. so it's not necessarily a mini-series, but it might not last very long either.

• Mister Pink likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

I have to say, I was so completely turned off by Harrelson's ham-fisted, overly mush-mouthed, terribly shot performance (fake video or otherwise) and the murder scene lifted almost entirely from Hannibal, that I really had trouble getting in to it.

I'm going to try and get into the second episode. Aside from the forced-bad-video-interview footage of Harrelson, the cinematography is stunning and McConaughey is incredible... maybe I'm being too hard on ol' Woody.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I just watched the first two episodes and I think this show is great.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

McConaughey is fantastic (even if he still looks a little AIDSy from Dallas Buyers Club), but I agree with Otter that in comparison Harrelson is a little flat (but still great). I think the calm understatement of the performances works. Really well shot, slow burningly suspensful. I do like the idea of there being a different cast every season.

• Attorney General likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by Audiophile, 31 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

About to watch this.

Loaded up episodes 1-3 on my iPad. Heard it's a great show overall; direction, acting, story. The posts in this thread sealed it for me. 

@Otter

Some shows are like that. I watch some shows where I am generally put off from the first episode but I always give a show 3-5 episodes to get me interested. 

I watch Hannibal, too, so I'm sure I'll recognize the scene you're talking about (I assume you're talking about the series).

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

The second episode was one of the best written television shows I've seen since... I don't know. A lot of dark material that's only dealt with superficially in a lot of other shows. Well done.

And either Woody's been reined in a bit for the past two episodes, or I've just gotten over my irrational irritation with his performance. Found the third episode a little confusing but oh what an ending.

• Moonshield likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I don't know. A lot of dark material that's only dealt with superficially in a lot of other shows. Well done.

I have to agree.

stellar acting performances aside, the best part about True Detective so far is that it's not afraid of its own subject matter.

plenty of shows deal with the same content technically, but the treatment is usually very politically-correct, vague, or simply implied.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

Took a while for me to get into it but it's f*cking amazing now. McConaughey is nailing it. And oh, I absolutely love the opening credits theme song.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I watched the first episode last night and holy sh*t....I can tell it's going to keep getting good. The material is really good, too. Like Otter said, it goes to places other shows won't dare to delve into as deeply, if at all. And I think that's the great part about HBO. I remember when I used to watch Six Feet Under on HBO and one of the greatest things about that show was that it dared to go into subject matter that other shows wouldn't touch or touched on but never fully explored.

If you guys haven't watched Six Feet Under, I highly recommend it. One of the best shows I have seen in the last decade. 

Going to watch episode 2 tonight and hopefully get in the third one, too. 

This is definitely going to become a regular HBO show I watch, along with Game of Thrones. 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Holy sh*t, this looks good. Matthew McConaughey is becoming one of my favourite actors after seeing him in Killer Joe, Dallas Buyers Club and Wolf of..' I love the whole darkness I can see in the trailer, the settting and Harrelson is just great. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :D

Another HBO belter. :D

Attorney General
  • Attorney General

psychonaut

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

This show is phenomenal. Harrelson's been one of my all time favorites since White Men Can't Jump back in the early 90's. But even he pales in comparison to McConaughey...who is f*cking spell binding in this. The two have a really interesting dynamic. Their real life southern roots make it feel so authentic. And they're hilarious together...breaking eachother's balls. And how about McConaughey going around every episode trying to find Quaaludes? Good sh*t. 

The premise that each new season will include a completely new cast is both innovative, quite interesting and maybe a little disappointing...in that the instant I saw a preview for this a month or two ago...I planned on reserving my Sunday nights for the next half a dozen years watching these two with the hope it would be another hbo staple like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Entourage and Sex in the City (got you, motherf*cker). Heh...so yeah, I'm kinda bummed that these two are only gonna stick around for a single season. I guess that means the possibilities are really broad...and if it succeeds, it'll draw an abundance of talented actors, And the writing is so superb that I'm certain it'll still be engaging...but I'm still a little bummed. 

And hell yeah, Otter...I rewound and watched the end of the third ep maybe 5 more times...the fourth episode is gonna be gooooood. 

• Audiophile likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Wow, didn't know there's going to be a new cast every season. Some people will like that and some people will really hate it. Look at The Wire season 2. I personally loved it and the writing is strong, however, I think people weren't ready for the shift in focus of the main criminals even though the Barksdale organization still got some attention. 

I really enjoyed the first episode, as did my housemates. Look forward to episode 2, now. :)

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

I've watched the three first episodes and so far I love it, McConaughey is amazing.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

This show is phenomenal. Harrelson's been one of my all time favorites since White Men Can't Jump back in the early 90's. But even he pales in comparison to McConaughey...who is f*cking spell binding in this. The two have a really interesting dynamic. Their real life southern roots make it feel so authentic. And they're hilarious together...breaking eachother's balls. And how about McConaughey going around every episode trying to find Quaaludes? Good sh*t. 

The premise that each new season will include a completely new cast is both innovative, quite interesting and maybe a little disappointing...in that the instant I saw a preview for this a month or two ago...I planned on reserving my Sunday nights for the next half a dozen years watching these two with the hope it would be another hbo staple like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Entourage and Sex in the City (got you, motherf*cker). Heh...so yeah, I'm kinda bummed that these two are only gonna stick around for a single season. I guess that means the possibilities are really broad...and if it succeeds, it'll draw an abundance of talented actors, And the writing is so superb that I'm certain it'll still be engaging...but I'm still a little bummed. 

And hell yeah, Otter...I rewound and watched the end of the third ep maybe 5 more times...the fourth episode is gonna be gooooood. 

Spoiler

Dat scene....it honestly was one of the best I've recently seen in television. The dialogue was perfect.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

I vote nude scene of the year

• darthYENIK and Failure like this

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • Indonesia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

This show is so good! The opening sequence is the best i've ever seen.
Great cast, great acting, and amazing cinematography. 

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

The dialouge in this show is pretty incredible, especially on McConaughey's part.

So, was one of the pictures of dead girls (I believe at the end of episode 3) Hart's mistress?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Honestly, I watched acouple episodes and I truly can't get involved in this one. Seems like Matt McCon is doing a great job in acting but the only thing that interested me was the Percy Jackson chick when she got nude.. other than that.. I'm not intrigued.

I may wait until the season is finished and watch the remaining episodes to get hooked but for now.. just not captivated by it.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

the only thing that interested me was the Percy Jackson chick when she got nude.. other than that.. I'm not intrigued.

Sounds about right. Maybe just let the big boys talk in here, then.

Last night's ep was f*cking intense. Watching MM go through his transition into his undercover character was dark as hell.

• Mister Pink, A J and CatDog96 like this

SAUL_SILVER
  • SAUL_SILVER

DILLIGAF---GIRFUY

• Awaiting Authorization
  • Scotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

I love this show, it's just so intense and captivating leaving me desperately wanting to know what's gonna happen next week.

McConaughey has blown me away, before this i would have switched channels as soon as he came on screen.

I've watched a lot of shows/films over the years that have been adapted from books and they have never lived up to it, this is the complete opposite in that i can't believe it wasn't a book first.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

f*cking hell this show is so good, is wish it was longer though only 3 episodes left  :cry:

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

HBO will have to preform a miracle to top this season next year with a new cast. This show is unbelievable. It's so bold and unapologetic about everything it does. I agree with SAUL_SILVER. I can't believe it wasn't a book first.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

I agree with SAUL_SILVER. I can't believe it wasn't a book first.

that's a good point.

it's good to know that there's still some creativity and originality left in Hollywood; that not everything is just a remake of a remake of a remake or adapted from some obscure novel / short story. writers and actors are still making really bold decisions with their storytelling, I just wish it were more often. especially in film.

in the last decade or so, it seems like the best television shows are much better than the best movies.

I wish films were up to par but I'll take great drama wherever I can find it.

• Moonshield, Mister Pink and Failure like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Just watched episode 4 last night. I was genuinely spooked by bikers. What a crazy episode...some of the best TV, I've ever watched. Also, anyone pick up on that long tracking shot with no edits? Amazing...6 minutes!!

• Moonshield, Voodoo and Max like this

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:01 AM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 19 February 2014 - 02:04 AM.

Alfonso Cuaron eat your heart out.  Love the show btw.  It's the only series I'm watching at the moment until Rick & Morty, GoT and Vikings are back.  Matthew McConauhey has really upped his game in the last couple of years.  I remember when he used to be a renowned Hollywood douchebag and in some terrible movies.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

You want to see something truly magnificent?

• Moonshield, SweatyPa1ms and CatDog96 like this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've recently watched the first episode and I'm hooked, the writing is marvelous and the characters are so well put. Plus it was pretty good having a new tv show that isn't about zombies/space werewolfs or some sh*t like that.

• Audiophile likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:32 PM Edited by Max, 23 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

McConaughey is fantastic (even if he still looks a little AIDSy from Dallas Buyers Club), but I agree with Otter that in comparison Harrelson is a little flat (but still great). I think the calm understatement of the performances works. Really well shot, slow burningly suspensful. I do like the idea of there being a different cast every season.

I'm 3 episodes in and I am absolutely loving it. Harrelson and McConaughey, I personally think are doing a great job and are one of the strongest casts for a TV show on paper alongside Boardwalk Empire.

I think the issue with Harrelson is that his character is made so uneasy by Cohle, and Cohle is so brooding and unpredictable that he is a little withdrawn. I'm actually finding it very interesting to watch Harrelson's handling of the subject matter considering his father's story. Great stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users