74 replies to this topic
Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Will this hotel be a safehouse?

Could make it one, but i had something a little different in mind. There are a few low-key buildings around the island that will have accessible interiors and will serve as safe houses. I was planning to use this building for a mission where the player would take position in a room on one of the top floors, equip a sniper rifle, and cover a drug deal taking place in the open sea. There would obviously be a set up and the player would have to prevent the enemies from killing the boss and destroying his yacht by sniping them as they approach it. When the mission is completed, the hotel room would be unlocked and used for weapon storage (rare weapons spawn inside).

At first I thought you were modeling on Max but now knowing that you're doing it on Sketchup, GJ because trying to do something that looks natural and realistic in Sketchup is like using Paint with a mouse to make a drawing of a real life picture (to me at least) nice textures too.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Most of the sketchup-related difficulties can be overcome, but one thing in particular is making it a nightmare. I do not have the option to prelight the models and that almost always results in a dull and plain-looking environment in game. The biggest problem with this is interior models and generally at night, where everything is just black.

I'm just aiming to complete as much of the town as i can, and then request (beg) somebody who could prelight the models to do it for me! I'll probably make a topic in the modeling section soon to begin asking for help.

...like using Paint with a mouse to make a drawing of a real life picture...

You're not wrong.

That's a nice restaurant thing you got! Will it have an interior, or is it simply for show?

As i mentioned above, it will feature a small interior that will become accessible during a mission and later serve as a weapon storage room.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

...like using Paint with a mouse to make a drawing of a real life picture...

You're not wrong.

That's a nice restaurant thing you got! Will it have an interior, or is it simply for show?

As i mentioned above, it will feature a small interior that will become accessible during a mission and later serve as a weapon storage room.

You could use or take elements from the restaurant in the Ocean View hotel. It looked pretty damn fancy.

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Town market & safe house

- Project is not dead - added 2 buildings and currently working on some roads and a large market building which will also include a safe house. There will be a staircase behind the building leading to a terrace from which it can be accessed. I'm trying to improve the quality of my models, and already began collecting props here and there.

Some screenshots

2Qezv34.jpgZJjFmKQ.jpgEHwPWOA.jpgzSwrikK.jpg

• Danikov, Kov, Mark01 and 12 others like this

MAJEST1C_R3
  • MAJEST1C_R3

Goodfella

• Feroci
  • Russia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Looks very nice :)

• Speccy likes this

Tadzik
  • Tadzik

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Nice to see an original concept for Vice City between tons of GTA3 extending mods and Stories conversion for over9000 platforms these days :)
Good job man! :)
  • lpgunit and universetwisters like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Nice to see an original concept for Vice City between tons of GTA3 extending mods and Stories conversion for over9000 platforms these days :)

Dammit, you beat me to it!

But seriously though, nice to see the original stuff. Good work and good luck!

• lpgunit likes this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

What is the size of this map compared to Vice City's?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]
    Biggest Asskisser 2014
    Biggest Asskisser 2013

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:54 PM Edited by Kalvin, 22 April 2014 - 10:55 PM.

From the first post.
yvax.png

Not sure if it's how it is now and he'll be expanding it or if that's his plan, though.

• Usman55 likes this

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:41 PM Edited by Speccy, 23 April 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Dammit, you beat me to it!

But seriously though, nice to see the original stuff. Good work and good luck!

As always, your guys' support is much appreciated! ..Creates an essence in something i just casually enjoy doing.

What is the size of this map compared to Vice City's?

As Kalvin conveniently posted, the picture is a rough plan of the town. When things finally approach the in-game stage, it serves as a guide for roads and mainland. Many changes take place in this process regarding everything else.

To give you a hint of it's size, it will be somewhere around x3-4 the size of Starfish island. So the map won't be very large at all, but hopefully very dense, consistent and atmospheric. I am aiming for release with the town in it's current size, but there will always be room for extending it in the future.

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Fixing Officer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

A map of this size could do well if the game was tweaked not to be a sandbox. Although it would need decent missions to be interesting then.
  • Speccy, lpgunit and pogo_01 like this

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Residential area (1/4)

jck5Euc.jpg

MORE SCREENSHOTS

LxsxEu6s.jpg    kYl1YYHs.jpg    IdEAhues.jpg    yPD27vZs.jpg

• Mark01, Usman55, Silent and 6 others like this

MAJEST1C_R3
  • MAJEST1C_R3

Goodfella

• Feroci
  • Russia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

Residential area (1/4)

[awesome pics]

YPqt8Qo.jpg

• Speccy, lpgunit and SaL_Leone like this

Mark01
  • Mark01

It's nice to be nice but I wouldn't lie to be nice.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:18 AM Edited by Mark01, 02 May 2014 - 07:27 AM.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Most of the sketchup-related difficulties can be overcome, but one thing in particular is making it a nightmare. I do not have the option to prelight the models and that almost always results in a dull and plain-looking environment in game. The biggest problem with this is interior models and generally at night, where everything is just black.

I'm just aiming to complete as much of the town as i can, and then request (beg) somebody who could prelight the models to do it for me! I'll probably make a topic in the modeling section soon to begin asking for help.

I'll explain why it does that quickly to you if you didn't know but when you import models from Sketchup even tho you can make detailed buildings there is no quads in the middle of a wall for example, that's why you end up with weird lighting and sharp edges in the middle of nowhere, all the edges are connected together in one spot which is not good for definition of lighting and optimization, the geometry has to have enough polygons where it's needed.

But there is many ways to do that, like you can simply add a line where the edge of the shadow is but this would be time consuming to do for a big island, good thing you do the modeling first because you can export the low poly collisions then add extra polygons for the models seen in game, that's how they did it for lighting levels on psx-ps2 games and other consoles, they still do it today.

So if you want a well defined lighting you can try the quadify mesh modifier it helps adding quads on walls etc but then sometimes it mess up the geometry... by adding quads where it's not needed  :whuh:  or you can enable adaptive subdivision in the radiosity panel but most of all if you use radiosity prelighting make sure you turn up the % to 85 for "Refine iterations" it will make your lighting much better, well defined.

Lastly for interior lighting if the rooms are dark you can place Omnis lights where you want them, you can turn up the intensity of the lights if it's not bright enough but use near and far attenuation if you don't want to light up the whole model/scene, basically what it does is, it creates 2 visible spheres around the light in the viewport then you can decide which distance the light start and stop illuminating.

If you're really not into vertex lighting/prelighting and/or you still need help I volunteer to help you whether you want to do it by yourself or you want me to do it.

Other than that you've got some awesome buildings, nice work! :p

EDIT: I re-read your post and just realized that when you say your prelight is looking dull in game well this is due to Kam's scripts even tho it's THE script for some reason when you export vertex colors for VC they lack the intensity they have in 3dsmax, I don't know why it does that there may be something wrong in the code so instead I use seggaeman exporter which is awesome, you should try it.

• Speccy likes this

Unexpected
  • Unexpected

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

Great job! Keep up the good work.  :inlove:

• Speccy likes this

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

I'll explain why it does that quickly to you if you didn't know but when you import models from Sketchup even tho you can make detailed buildings there is no quads in the middle of a wall for example, that's why you end up with weird lighting and sharp edges in the middle of nowhere, all the edges are connected together in one spot which is not good for definition of lighting and optimization, the geometry has to have enough polygons where it's needed.

But there is many ways to do that, like you can simply add a line where the edge of the shadow is but this would be time consuming to do for a big island, good thing you do the modeling first because you can export the low poly collisions then add extra polygons for the models seen in game, that's how they did it for lighting levels on psx-ps2 games and other consoles, they still do it today.

So if you want a well defined lighting you can try the quadify mesh modifier it helps adding quads on walls etc but then sometimes it mess up the geometry... by adding quads where it's not needed  :whuh:  or you can enable adaptive subdivision in the radiosity panel but most of all if you use radiosity prelighting make sure you turn up the % to 85 for "Refine iterations" it will make your lighting much better, well defined.

Lastly for interior lighting if the rooms are dark you can place Omnis lights where you want them, you can turn up the intensity of the lights if it's not bright enough but use near and far attenuation if you don't want to light up the whole model/scene, basically what it does is, it creates 2 visible spheres around the light in the viewport then you can decide which distance the light start and stop illuminating.

If you're really not into vertex lighting/prelighting and/or you still need help I volunteer to help you whether you want to do it by yourself or you want me to do it.

Other than that you've got some awesome buildings, nice work! :p

EDIT: I re-read your post and just realized that when you say your prelight is looking dull in game well this is due to Kam's scripts even tho it's THE script for some reason when you export vertex colors for VC they lack the intensity they have in 3dsmax, I don't know why it does that there may be something wrong in the code so instead I use seggaeman exporter which is awesome, you should try it.

I really appreciate your help :) I'm afraid you missed something though. The way i get the models from sketchup and into the game does not involve 3dsmax at all. I'm limited to sketchup, where i create the mesh and Zmodeler 2, for the finishing touches and finally creating the dff. I recently realized there is a prelighting function in zmodeler 2 and experimented with it. I haven't tested in game yet, but i'm sure the result would be ten times better with 3dsmax lighting. Zmodeler does not even support omnis as far as i know, which makes matters worse.

Needless to say, if you could help me with the task, that would be great. With this kind of support, the mod could really go places :)

On a side-note - I'm very eager to see mipmaps support for Vice City. It's great that it's being discussed - lets make it happen!

Tomorrow i will post some updates. Thanks again for offering to help out, Mark!

• Tadzik and Unexpected like this

Mark01
  • Mark01

It's nice to be nice but I wouldn't lie to be nice.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Ah, I've almost forgot that Zmodeler could export objects... my bad :zZz:

Talking about mipmaps, isn't it already possible? http://gtaforums.com...ds2txd-wtd2txd/

Np Speccy, I'm glad I can help out on things I enjoy doing sometimes.

Tadzik
  • Tadzik

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Are you still working on this Speccy?

johnthedev
  • johnthedev

Bad Ass MoFo

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

Looks swell i actually like the compact size of map makes it workable.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

Residential area (1/4)
[awesome pics]

YPqt8Qo.jpg

UohjvFv.jpg
This.

IlyaKostygov
  • IlyaKostygov

I AM THE LIZARD KING I CAN DO ANYTHING

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Great. Just great. 

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

Are you still working on this Speccy?

I haven't put any time into this "project" for the past four months or so but i must clarify, that it is by no means abandoned!

Although i have taken two months from doing anything involving my pc this summer, prior to this, i worked quite hard helping create interiors for BEGINit's Shine o' Vice. You should definitely check it out!

I had a great opportunity to improve upon my VC-modding know-how. Most importantly, i will now be able to pre-light all objects on my map as well as making use of mipmaps! (thanks to the amazing work of _DK and his DDS2TXD tool)

I can also work much more efficiently now, so once i got the basic map in-game, you will really see it all come to life quickly. I can't wait to have the lighting done as it will transform the currently "flat" models into something truly pleasant-looking.

I want to share some of the interiors i have recently made for Vice City (they are pre-lit)

I will be back with some updates on Speccy's Town very soon!

• Shagg_E, Jerkоv, universetwisters and 2 others like this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

Those are bloody awesome, you should release those interiors as a mod in itself, it would be great to have some insides to some of the houses tommy can buy, you do need to add the cull zones in the hotel interior though to stop those newspapers and other junk appearing inside.

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

Hot damn that's a nice looking mansion! I like it how you used that unused safehouse interior from SA and worked on that to make a mansion suitable for a kingpin!

My only suggestion would be to move the save icon inside the house. Just a suggestion though

• ALMOST610 likes this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:32 AM

My only suggestion would be to move the save icon inside the house. Just a suggestion though

The only trouble with moving the save icon is by modifying the SCM to do that you will need to start a new game and old save games wont work because of that small change. Unless you are changing up missions and other things its really not worth doing that, but I do agree it would be good to move it.

SaL_Leone
  • SaL_Leone

Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Nice interiors,i especially like in second interior that you made it with enterance,not with just one hotel room like in SA. :^:

BEGINit
  • BEGINit

The Healer

• Members
  • Lithuania
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Wuhah, wuhahah.... Wuhahaha... :devil: :devil:  Khem sorry

• Speccy and SaL_Leone like this

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Meanwhile...

a4HYtIc.jpg

uw3bm7J.jpg

p2oduOP.jpg

kqowmOS.jpg

QyHJCqy.jpg

Hospital (WIP)

AIkA3p6.jpg?1

• universetwisters, Mr. Jago, Tadzik and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

Looks nice! Looks like you used some houses from IV aswell, cool beans although you don't see them much here in Florida (I've lived here for many years) although I'm interested to see what you bring to the table :^:

johnthedev
  • johnthedev

Bad Ass MoFo

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

Nice this is awesome.

Speccy
  • Speccy

fun.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

Update

Still got lots to do, but the island is slowly coming together. I'd say over 65% of the models have been made and most are already in the game, excluding props. It may still take a while considering the level of detail, but although i'm not posting as frequently, i do aim to eventually complete the entire map!

Most importantly, i really want it all to be as NEAT as possible and for this reason i have to leave prelight and mipmapping towards a later stage. But when i do finally get to that, it better f#cking look GUCCI..

Here's where i'm heading for the while:

- update front page
- finish remaining models <manageable>
THEN
- revamp and prelight vegetation <easy>
- mipmap all models <manageable>
- prelight all models <bust a nut>
THEN

- cars <love it>

- paths <not concerned>
- missions? <would be cool>

Check out the latest building i made based upon a model from GTA IV. It's a work in progress:

mo999FA.jpgZ1ChWn6.jpgCKRBHEg.jpgc7V7HcR.jpg

• jtr007, Tadzik, Eddie and 3 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users