Self-Defense, Martial Arts, etc.?

33 replies to this topic
Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

Any of you guys take self-defense classes? Already have? Teach them? Want to do one of the former?

And what would you recommend for self-defense if you've taken/take/teach or just have a general knowledge of self-defense?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

When you are attacked (without warning), do you think all those hours of playing at 'defense' will really help? (Other than fitness.)
If you aren't starting the fight you have no reason to believe you can 'win'.
Hand over your wallet/purse and pray you aren't going to be some other kind of prey.
  • Joe Chip and Th3MaN1 like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

I used to do boxing. Just had one fight though, had to quit.

I recommend boxing if you wanna lose weight, bulk up in muscle, and improve your stamina. It's 95% training and the training will kick your ass harder than the actual assbeatings in the ring if you have a good coach. I lost quite a bit of weight and gained a substantial amount of muscle from around 6 months of doing that. The weight loss could have been more, but I was eating like a f*cking pig back then lol

For practical uses of self-defense, it'll definitely help you. You learn to how to punch correctly using your entire body instead of looking like a 5-year-old girl hugging the air. You learn what spots are the go-to if you really wanna put a hurting on people -- this is learned by getting your ass kicked lol The fight I got into, I was doing fairly well. Got in a few punches, but then the guy punched my ribs and holy f*ck, that sh*t was painful. Coach stopped the fight and just laughed at me lol You gain a lot of arm strength and general punch speed thanks to REALLY heavy gloves (for fighting) and just punishing your arms by punching the little ball that's head-high over and over.

So, basically, you'll be able to beat the sh*t out of the average thug even with just training. The most important factor for self-defense is the fighting experience you'll get by sparring with experienced boxers. Those motherf*ckers are tough. You get in maybe 70 fights or so, and you'll be good for practically anything anyone can throw at you.

I'd recommend boxing only for the training to be completely honest. Almost every boxing gym should allow you to go for the training, you don't have to box. You'll get in shape, you'll be disciplined, and you'll be ready for pretty much every asshole who wants to take advantage of you, as the thugs don't usually know how to fight apart from scrambling punches and grabbing you like maniacs. If you really wanna get into the self-defense side of it, then get into the sparring and fighting, you'll be one badass motherf*cker once you get enough fights under your belt.

@lil weasel: it's important for people to know how to defend themselves. It's like knowing how to swim: you'll likely never need to know how to swim, but it's good to know how in the off chance you find yourself in that situation.

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

-snip-

I was looking into Krav Maga, but boxing might not be a bad alternative. That actually sounds like it'd be useful and the sparring seems like it could be fun. 

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:52 AM

-snip-

I was looking into Krav Maga, but boxing might not be a bad alternative. That actually sounds like it'd be useful and the sparring seems like it could be fun. 

You should change your username to masochist lol

• Vlynor likes this

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

-snip-

You should change your username to masochist lol

I originally wanted to start boxing while I was in High School, but I got side tracked and my interest switched over to Krav Maga. If I can find a boxing place around here I might look further into it.

• DeafMetal likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

When you are attacked (without warning), do you think all those hours of playing at 'defense' will really help?

it depends on how you are attacked, of course, but yes absolutely.

if you have zero understanding of how to use your force and your body weight, then you're 100% at the will of your attacker.

if you actually posses a good understanding of your capability (and trained some of your reflexes in response) then at least you have some control in the situation.

it's always better to be prepared than not.

everyone should read up on and/or practice with basic self defense techniques; whether or not you join a martial arts program and start collecting rainbow colored belts is a different story...

high91
  • high91

L.S. Pro Racer...Drifting Expert. NO CATCHUP..NO SLIPSTREAM..

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

When you are attacked (without warning), do you think all those hours of playing at 'defense' will really help? (Other than fitness.)
If you aren't starting the fight you have no reason to believe you can 'win'.
Hand over your wallet/purse and pray you aren't going to be some other kind of prey.

I used to do boxing. Just had one fight though, had to quit.

I recommend boxing if you wanna lose weight, bulk up in muscle, and improve your stamina. It's 95% training and the training will kick your ass harder than the actual assbeatings in the ring if you have a good coach. I lost quite a bit of weight and gained a substantial amount of muscle from around 6 months of doing that. The weight loss could have been more, but I was eating like a f*cking pig back then lol

For practical uses of self-defense, it'll definitely help you. You learn to how to punch correctly using your entire body instead of looking like a 5-year-old girl hugging the air. You learn what spots are the go-to if you really wanna put a hurting on people -- this is learned by getting your ass kicked lol The fight I got into, I was doing fairly well. Got in a few punches, but then the guy punched my ribs and holy f*ck, that sh*t was painful. Coach stopped the fight and just laughed at me lol You gain a lot of arm strength and general punch speed thanks to REALLY heavy gloves (for fighting) and just punishing your arms by punching the little ball that's head-high over and over.

So, basically, you'll be able to beat the sh*t out of the average thug even with just training. The most important factor for self-defense is the fighting experience you'll get by sparring with experienced boxers. Those motherf*ckers are tough. You get in maybe 70 fights or so, and you'll be good for practically anything anyone can throw at you.

I'd recommend boxing only for the training to be completely honest. Almost every boxing gym should allow you to go for the training, you don't have to box. You'll get in shape, you'll be disciplined, and you'll be ready for pretty much every asshole who wants to take advantage of you, as the thugs don't usually know how to fight apart from scrambling punches and grabbing you like maniacs. If you really wanna get into the self-defense side of it, then get into the sparring and fighting, you'll be one badass motherf*cker once you get enough fights under your belt.

@lil weasel: it's important for people to know how to defend themselves. It's like knowing how to swim: you'll likely never need to know how to swim, but it's good to know how in the off chance you find yourself in that situation.

Two extremes here I see.  I would say either are very reasonable as the unexpected is..well..the unexpected and training is a good way to 'prepare' yourself for certain situations.  People forget also that your mental side of things has a lot to do with how you handle yourself.  Theres human nature and knowing what to do.  Usually people who are not violent have a hard time defending them self against someone who is.

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

おっぱい

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

I like the idea of Aikido. I would try Aikido. And Muay Thai and Kickboxing. <-- I tried a  kickboxing class once, but it was only me and these other two dudes and all I really remember was having to do a lot of jump rope and taking turns punching and kicking on each other with a cushion thing.

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

I like the idea of Aikido. I would try Aikido. And Muay Thai and Kickboxing. <-- I tried a  kickboxing class once, but it was only me and these other two dudes and all I really remember was having to do a lot of jump rope and taking turns punching and kicking on each other with a cushion thing.

Would Aikido really be useful for self-defense? It seems to me, in a real situation (muggers/an assault) Aikido wouldn't be my go-to technique. I don't know, though.

AgentSimons
  • AgentSimons

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

Make sure if you take self defense you go to a real place and not one that is designed as a cardio workout for housewives.

• DeafMetal and Vlynor like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

おっぱい

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

It doesn't seem like it, I'll be honest. But I think it's cool, something about it attracts me to it for some reason. 

• Vlynor likes this

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

I took Taekwondo class when I was young, it was introduced by my neighbor's kid who already has a black belt (he's like 3-4 years older). Went a few time before I stopped, it did helped me with my height, but I heard if you over do it, it will make you shorter. 

• Vlynor likes this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

I have never gone to self-defense classes... I once trained myself (garage + punching bag, woohoo) but then it just kinda stopped as the bag broke for some reason lol. And if you wanna know what martial arts did I try to do myself? It was taekwondo, mixed with other stuff. And yeah, I wanted to learn that because of Tekken. Hwoarang FTW. :p

But I'm not a fan of showing my fabulous chubbiness in any martial arts class. I prefer doing stuff alone regardless of how good the teacher was or whatever that person taught.

• Vlynor likes this

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

I enrolled for a taekwondo class when I was in school. They paired me up with the only fat kid in the class who I could never pick up and flip over no matter what I did. I gave up when I misplaced my white belt and didn't bother to buy another one. :p

• Vlynor likes this

utb1528
  • utb1528

SRS Inc. Lt.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

I have twenty years experience.  I have studied Tae Kwon Do, Kali, Muay Thai, BJJ, and Boxing.

The best advice is to go to all the classes in your area and find the best teacher.

Also, why do want to train?  Some people want self defense, fitness, asian history, or forms/katas. 

Make sure your goals match what the school teaches.

It helps if the teacher has actually been in fights.

Expect to pay around 100 US dollars a month.  You can find cheaper places if they are at a college or community center (ie no rent or utilities to pay for).

• Vlynor likes this

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:25 AM Edited by Mr Scratch, 20 January 2014 - 07:26 AM.

If you want to learn Krav Maga then you should find someone who was in the IDF, otherwise it's a waste of time and money. Keysi is great for self-defense too.
  • Vlynor likes this

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

I signed up for karate when I was in Elementary school and it sucked. They made me memorize some choreographed sequence and after that I quit. I don't see much use for it anyway, so long as you know where to attack if you do get into a fight.

-Make the first move (no-brainer)

-Go for the kneecap, it smarts like hell if you kick it hard enough

-If you feel confident try landing a punch on the throat

Or you know, just don't get into a fight.

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I signed up for karate when I was in Elementary school and it sucked. They made me memorize some choreographed sequence and after that I quit. I don't see much use for it anyway, so long as you know where to attack if you do get into a fight.

The problem with making the first move is, what if you're jumped? An offensive maneuver against someone who has no knowledge of defense could work, but what if they get me first?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

The problem with making the first move is, what if you're jumped? An offensive maneuver against someone who has no knowledge of defense could work, but what if they get me first?

Well I've never been in that situation so I couldn't tell you. I'd probably try to distance myself and go for the weak points once I regain composure. 

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:44 AM Edited by Vlynor, 20 January 2014 - 07:51 AM.

Well I've never been in that situation so I couldn't tell you. I'd probably try to distance myself and go for the weak points once I regain composure. 

That would work if you had a way to distance yourself. If I'm being jumped, without self-defense training or a weapon, it'd be pretty unlikely for me to be able to get out of the way of an attacker.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

I dabbled in Judo as a youngster but that didn't last long, didn't find it all that fun and interesting, then during military we were taught and trained in mixed martial arts at MCMAP. Had fun with thatt.. but I don't think I'm no Ip Man or anything.

• Vlynor likes this

utb1528
  • utb1528

SRS Inc. Lt.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Speaking of being fun..

Martial arts is a blast in the beginning, but after awhile it becomes work and tedious.  At some point you will get tired of building muscle memory.  This when a lot of people quit.  Fight that.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I did Karate for 2 years, took a year off, then went back for 3 more months. It sucked. It didn't help with anything. If you wanna defend yourself, do it the classic way.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

I started karate when i was 11, then years later i just moved to mixed martial arts, and some kick boxing. left that behind years ago though. never saw a future for me in it. didnt want to take it as a profession or anything like that. it was just a hobby. and was having lots of troubles and sh*t in my life, and the whole thing became a burden. now i still practice what i remember sometimes. I wouldn't recommend to learn it just because you wanna defend yourself. its not magic, it doesnt automatically make you tough. i've seen lots of men with black belts acting all tough but out on the streets they were a bunch of gimps.

Cyraxx
  • Cyraxx

Lurker

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Absolutely, yes, that is their main purpose. I speak from many times of experiencing exactly this.

I've always wanted to try Krav Maga, it seems more street and numbered adversary orientated. More than one person/knives etc. I don't really have to worry about the whole 'being mugged with a gun on the street' thing so much though, seeing as I live in Australia. (Especially very unlikely where I live in particular)

As far as I'm aware its all about dirty 'anything to win' tactics, which honestly is a completely legitimate strategy and anybody who tells you different probably hasn't been in a lot of fights. If its between you and one person in a controlled environment or whatever, then yeah, sure, but not when you're getting jumped in the street or in a bar by potentially more than one person. 

Make sure if you take self defense you go to a real place and not one that is designed as a cardio workout for housewives.

^Yeah, exactly this.

Speaking of being fun..

Martial arts is a blast in the beginning, but after awhile it becomes work and tedious.  At some point you will get tired of building muscle memory.  This when a lot of people quit.  Fight that.

^I tend to agree with you seeing as the place where I do training, several people join to become white belts and then immediately give up. Where I learn, they purposely make the six months repetitive and make you do the same certain basic moves to cull out the people who are too eager to learn and are learning for the wrong reasons.

This is done to make it apparent who is there to learn and show patience and who can't. But yeah, In most cases you're right, it really depends on the person, though.

A little background; I have been doing martial arts for a couple of years now, and a family member of mine manages a dojo. For obvious reasons I don't really want to go naming names of what it is etc because of its small scale (and I don't want to sound like a pretentious asshole), but I and everyone who goes there learns directly from him. He has mastered several forms of martial arts and teaches primarily the one that I go to now. It's a lot of fun, and very effective.  

I definitely recommend anybody who wants to learn any form of self defence a try, but you should keep an open mind about different styles, see which one is best for you.

It can be a lot of fun but at times it can be work, sure. Stick it out and keep persisting, and if you don't enjoy it any more, then at least you learnt some stuff!

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

No, man. 

If someone harms you, then you go to their house with a piece of wood. Knock on the front door several times and when they open it, surprise them with a large smack to the face. Only kidding.. Yeah, I used to do boxing. It was fun and really competitive.

• Vlynor likes this

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I took one class in taekwondo when I was younger, didn't like it so I never went back

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

ye I do kung fu

no one can get close to me lolz

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Krav Maga is f*cking amazing. I only had the chance to train in it for six months (had to move to start my master's degree), but every single day was awesome and meaningful. I recommend it to anyone and everyone who wants to do some fitness, boost confidence, and learn how to defend yourself effectively.

Seriously, I learned so f*cking much in those six months. The best thing about KM is it's not about any forms (katas) or tai-chi "mind and body center your chakra" bullsh*t, it's literally about putting an attacker down as hard and as fast as possible in the manner that is most effective and safest to you.

Definitely one of the best decisions of my life. If there was a KM gym here, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

• Vlynor likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users