94 replies to this topic
iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

Oh boy! Another Cash Card thread! What are the odds?  :colgate:

I thought I'd put in my perspective of how I see Cash Cards, and how I see it as a minor issue with GTAO, as there has been nothing but voices mostly opposing cash cards, as well as ideas going round as if Rockstar is conspiring against us to use them. All of this, I will say, is just what I think and is not fact, but I hope it will also give faith that Rockstar isn't as evil as certain other publishers... you know the ones.

Spoiler

First of all, there's no conspiracy or secret motive, and while the payout has changed a lot since GTAO started, in which I'm a little saddened by, I severely doubt that is the case for those cards. I will admit balancing an economy makes it more difficult and it's less fun, but fun is also subjective.

While it could be argued that Rockstar is pushing us to use them, I don't think Rockstar is depending on those cash cards. For one thing, relying on microtransactions isn't very reliable and forcing people to use them isn't a good business model either. People will buy them, but it isn't a strong finance model. I'd think they'd use cash cards as a financial boost as much as we do in the game, but it's not the be-all end-all for money in the game, in the cases of the developer and the player.

You could argue about the Whale Shark Card being so expensive, but I don't see many people buying that card, hence it's such a high price. I don't see Rockstar making too much on those cards, I think game sales make up much more than that as not everyone will be playing GTAO, but also not everyone playing GTAO is going to use cash cards.

In regards to price, take the following into consideration: while not everyone buys these, I also doubt Rockstar takes in 100% of the transaction. I'm pretty sure, down in the middle, Sony and Microsoft have to take a percentage of the take per transaction, because it's going through their store system and they are the seller, so it makes sense the seller has to take some of the profit.

As far as making money is concerned, it isn't that difficult in GTAO. Partaking in missions, gang attacks, races, survivals, selling cars, attacking armoured trucks, and robbing stores can easily build up your character's finances in a few hours. Cash cards are not a necessity, as while the payouts have gone down in GTAO, they're not that damaging. People will cry foul at this point and blame cash cards, but if you actually play the game you will find that payouts build up quickly. Remember, even if you start earning pittens, over time it becomes a fortune, especially in GTAO.

I will admit that things are horrifically priced in GTAO, but again, the grind helps. I'm beginning to play more missions and survivals due to payout, and it's helping the finances I want to achieve and what I want to spend it on. I may have bought a shark card myself, but I only used one as financial assurance in case my finances sink.

Finally, remember, we're not being forced to buy cash cards. Cash cards are not a necessity in the game, and you can still earn money. It's gratifying to earn money in GTAO, save, and spend it on something useful, it gives a strong sense of achievement, and can help achieve more things.

Hopefully my point of view has been constructive, and hopefully it's a break of flow from the negativity of cash cards. As aforementioned we're not forced to buy them, but playing the game helps finances, as long as you carry the virtue of patience and you'll soon be sitting on a monolith of the mighty dollar.

Spoiler
  • GroundZero, Kazandra, Sangers and 5 others like this

radcad
  • radcad

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Yep, spot on. Considered and mature. They aren't catered towards everyone anyway. A lot of working folk don't have time to grind, so disposable income + limited time = cash cards can be worth it.
  • Zwenkwiel, kasheku, T-Offline and 1 other like this

AbortSanity
  • AbortSanity

Mr Raspberry-Jam's Bitch

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

You paid money for in-game currency, I have no respect for you, this post or your ridiculous hair (guessing the avatar is you)

INB4 Shut the f@ck up!
  • hsthompson likes this

iainspad
  • iainspad

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

You paid money for in-game currency, I have no respect for you, this post or your ridiculous hair (guessing the avatar is you)

I have no problem with your anti-microtransaction preference, but insulting my hair?!

That gets my attention.

AbortSanity
  • AbortSanity

Mr Raspberry-Jam's Bitch

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

I have no problem with your anti-microtransaction preference, but insulting my hair?!

That gets my attention.

Haha, I knew it would, get the clippers out, son!
  • Timely likes this

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

I didn't read all but i agree with this part

Finally, remember, we're not being forced to buy cash cards. Cash cards are not a necessity in the game, and you can still earn money. It's gratifying to earn money in GTAO, save, and spend it on something useful, it gives a strong sense of achievement, and can help achieve more things.

iainspad
  • iainspad

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:26 AM Edited by iainspad, 20 January 2014 - 02:26 AM.

That gets my attention.

I'm assuming you're bald; I can't tell as you're hiding behind a computer monitor like a frightened little bint like yourself would, so I'm making an assumption that you hate me as I can grow hair.

I'll also have you know that my now-longer mohawk gets me plenty of ham wallets, so I don't see what the big deal is.

• Sangers, LancerG2, StewNorth and 2 others like this

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

While this is a well thought out post, some of the idea's are predicated up fallacies. The point you make for example about a business model that relies on micro transactions being unreliable etc, is no longer true in current times, ala world of tanks and league of legends to name but a few which are hugely successful and rely solely on MT's.

Ultimately, the main direction and drive from R* since the very first patches where they removed the replay option etc were brought in, has been to curb a players income to the point of just about breaking even as you go about your activities in game. So for every big ticket item, new content item and on and on, you have two choices. Cash cards or a relentless grind - lets remember that grinding is no fun. 

They have engineered a situation whereby they can yank on a players bank balance via a high priced car for example any time they wish, and this is hardly how a company should act (see enron and california electricity)

Everybody understands that DLC is now a part of gaming, and its never going away, but you have to do it correctly and not just stick a giant paywall in the way of people's having fun, because that is the touch of death.

Had they not pushed so hard on the cash cards via their various methods - mission payout cut, inability to replay, ammo cost etc etc, the game wouldn't be in its current state whereby EVERYTHING except the time spent playing with your friends is just a cash sink to bring you to the store screen.

• JayDM420 and XJpostman like this

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Your opinion could've gone in an already existing thread you know?

Que the anti-card elitists.

• TreFacTor, Jolly Swagman and paulmgrath like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Props to the OP for creating a start on a reasonable discussion.  The issue that I have is the exchange rate and / or the price of things in the game.  The cost of cash cards seems a bit steep to me, and also, prices of some things in GTA0 seem to be set arbitrarily high.  It's a shock going from SP prices to GTA0 prices.  :*(

A few weks ago, I would have paid for RP cards, but I was "patient" (read that as, "I wasted over 200 hours of my real world life") to gradually and painfully claw my way up to Level 100 so I can finally get the RPG. 

I would still pay for "race win" cards,because I want my 40+ wins needed for car mods (even if I can't afford them now) and I would pay $0.25 for a "revenge kill" card, i.e. one instance of a super-mugger terminator, that absolutely will not stop until my target is dead.  :^:

• CapoV91 likes this

AbortSanity
  • AbortSanity

Mr Raspberry-Jam's Bitch

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

That gets my attention.

I'm assuming you're bald; I can't tell as you're hiding behind a computer monitor like a frightened little bint like yourself would, so I'm making an assumption that you hate me as I can grow hair.

I'll also have you know that my now-longer mohawk gets me plenty of ham wallets, so I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm sure it does kid, my stupid haircuts got me plenty of 'Ham wallets' back in the day; this, however, does not mean that you don't look absurd.

P.S Not a slap-head

=]
  • blakeney and dannybohy like this

iainspad
  • iainspad

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Props to the OP for creating a start on a reasonable discussion.  The issue that I have is the exchange rate and / or the price of things in the game.  The cost of cash cards seems a bit steep to me, and also, prices of some things in GTA0 seem to be set arbitrarily high.  It's a shock going from SP prices to GTA0 prices.  :*(

A few weks ago, I would have paid for RP cards, but I was "patient" (read that as, "I wasted over 200 hours of my real world life") to gradually and painfully claw my way up to Level 100 so I can finally get the RPG. 

I would still pay for "race win" cards,because I want my 40+ wins needed for car mods (even if I can't afford them now) and I would pay $0.25 for a "revenge kill" card, i.e. one instance of a super-mugger terminator, that absolutely will not stop until my target is dead.  :^:

First of all, thanks! Secondly, I completely agree. The exchange rate is f*cked compared to GTA V, because for some reason in GTAO the price of weapons and mods are so high, I don't understand why. I doubt it's going to go down, either, which is kind of annoying. Already tonight, I spent $300K for upgrades on my Sultan, and while I do have around $5 Million it did annoy me a bit.

I would agree on an RP boost though, but then again, I can level up in an hour or two, depending what missions I'm doing or if anything happens in the world. The RP rate beyond level 60 is absolutely criminal though.

iainspad
  • iainspad

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

I'm sure it does kid, my stupid haircuts got me plenty of 'Ham wallets' back in the day; this, however, does not mean that you don't look absurd in my subjective opinion.

P.S Not a slap-head

=]

Firstly, I ain't no kid, second, I fixed it for you. We're done here.

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

2c7b084dbf2b2c6d8bd34ef3ddc5b2726e231388

• Rented and dannybohy like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

@ Elpis

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

I'm not always-positive kind of guy. But I'm more towards seeing what's real in my eyes.

I can see Rockstar's original thought about those Cash Cards. Their target audience are adults, which mainly should have a job, supposedly. People who have jobs don't have much time to play and so they're offering this Cash Cards to save time for grinding for money. 

The problem is, the way they offer that option is wrong, in my opinion. They're obviously forcing you in a soft way through underpaid rewards and overpriced items (I'm not going to explain one by one again). So instead of attracting people in, they drive them away.

Hackers and cheaters will always be there, no matter what. And they'll be even more worse if the case is about game & level design.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'm not always-positive kind of guy. But I'm more towards seeing what's real in my eyes.

I can see Rockstar's original thought about those Cash Cards. Their target audience are adults, which mainly should have a job, supposedly. People who have jobs don't have much time to play and so they're offering this Cash Cards to save time for grinding for money. 

The problem is, the way they offer that option is wrong, in my opinion. They're obviously forcing you in a soft way through underpaid rewards and overpriced items (I'm not going to explain one by one again). So instead of attracting people in, they drive them away.

Hackers and cheaters will always be there, no matter what. And they'll be even more worse if the case is about game & level design.

^^ this

Even the in game prompt points out the fact that cashcards are for those who cant be arsed/dont have time to earn the money through gameplay...

everyone jumping on the "its a conspiracy" bandwagon are overlooking the fact that there's no point you are forced to buy cash cards... unlike many phone apps that you reach a certain point and it literally prompts you to pay before you can continue playing.

you dont need to buy cash cards at any point... if you dont have the time to earn cash the options there but theres no need to bitch about R* putting them in the game, its a choice,,,

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

while i agree that no one is forced to buy the cash card, the high cost of living make you feel like they are actually pushing you toward the them...

i mean i understand that to make things work online you cant have the prices we have on SP but man, i wont mind paying 2-3 times the price of item in SP but no on gtao there are things that are 10 times more expensive than SP.

i mean 10k for mask? that same mask cost 500 in sp. 25k for car horn, 10k for a non-permanent crew logo in a shirt, 6k for a gun flashlight, over 10k for a suppressor...

add the fact that payouts are CRAP and you end up with a perfect cash card environment.

R* dont force, they PUSH!
  • shootingallovertheplace likes this

dannybohy
  • dannybohy

Queens of the Damned Crew Founder

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

If they hadn't Nerfed pay outs around the time cash card option went online I would tend to believe R* where just innocently putting the option there for us!.However, I think we all know why they nerfed the mission payouts all of a sudden

however!

BUY CASH CARDS!! don't be a peasant 

• TreFacTor likes this

Nameless_0ne
  • Nameless_0ne

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I only get cash cards if I really need the money in GTA you DON'T have to use them.

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:22 PM Edited by senormidget, 20 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

This is quite clearly an undercover Rockstar employee trying to big up cash cards.

You have to get up pretty early to fool me pal, I saw you coming from a mile away. 3/10 for effort, must try harder.

Expozing
  • Expozing

FBGM

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Cash cards are for scrubs. This game takes no skill at all to earn money. 

dannybohy
  • dannybohy

Queens of the Damned Crew Founder

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I heard that if you buy a cash card you are immune from being put in any R*  bad-sport and cheaters lobbies! and will never have a legit vehicle taken away from you. 

This is probably not true

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 PM Edited by LuapYllier, 20 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Whenever I hear people talking about cash card conspiracies this is all I keep coming back to...

Reputation and Cash Flow: Reputation is earned from all your online exploits in everything you do in GTA Online and will help you rank up, providing access to new features, weapons and criminal contacts. Spend cash youve gained on cars, clothes, guns, properties and much more. You can either quickly accumulate cash through profitable activities like knocking over armored cars, winning street races, doing stick-ups or a host of other cash-making endeavors or if youre the completely instant gratification type, you can choose to buy denominations of GTA$. You will have the option to purchase GTA$ through the in-game Store. The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You dont have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode.

http://www.rockstarg...uto-online.html

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Heres my thought. If rockstar really cared about the quality of the game, they would not have set it up like a facebook game hoping people would dump real cash to aid in their progress.

If they really cared about the quality of the game, they would not have spent so much effort in wiping game cash, and instead would have concentrated on the real problems.

so now we are all broke, and have to deal with those problems. they trolled us ya'll. 

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

i didn't read at all lol. Saw the length of the post, read the other replies and i guessed it was a "you're not forced to buy it" opinion. 

• Dementious likes this

Expozing
  • Expozing

FBGM

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

i didn't read at all lol. Saw the length of the post, read the other replies and i guessed it was a "you're not forced to buy it" opinion. 

R* is holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy cash cards

Coin
  • Coin

Game Over

• Members
  • South-Georgia-and-the-South-Sandwich-Islands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Heres my thought. If rockstar really cared about the quality of the game, they would not have set it up like a facebook game hoping people would dump real cash to aid in their progress.

If they really cared about the quality of the game, they would not have spent so much effort in wiping game cash, and instead would have concentrated on the real problems.

so now we are all broke, and have to deal with those problems. they trolled us ya'll. 

Speak for yourself.

I'm rich, biotch, and legitimately so.

Corrupt King
  • Corrupt King

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

But then you realize that in single player when you buy LSC you get all parts free now apply this to online >_>

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

But then you realize that in single player when you buy LSC you get all parts free now apply this to online >_>

Can you repeat that in english?

shootingallovertheplace
  • shootingallovertheplace

No 1 Panto Crew in the World PIGS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Rockstar are not holding a gun to anyone's head. They are however standing at the living room window, screaming wildly and throwing stones.
  • JayDM420 and iainspad like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users