Photo

6GB GPU not showing in resource usage?

13 replies to this topic
VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ok, so I was wondering if anyone knows how to make GTA IV aware of 6GB dedicated memory?

Yes I have tried the -availablevidmem "X" commandline. The most I can achieve from that line is 4GB.

Thx

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Please tell us your full system specifications. Simply stating 6GB GPU doesn't help much.

Also, I'm not sure if the game is capable of detecting VRAM more than 4GB. A 2GB video card coupled with a powerful processor is enough to max out the game.

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

Girish....

First off, thx for the reply. Secondly...stating my system specs is irrelevant and would not assist you in answering my question. Stating that GTA IV has a dedicated memory limitation would make sense as to why I cannot acheive 6GB through the -availablevidmem command.

Reason being I have car, traffic & map mods, so naturally GTV IV will absorb more V-memory. Guess I'll just have to trim some mods down to size =/

Anyways...thx again

Cheers!

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Stating system specs is relevant because unless we know the make and model of your GFX card, we won't be able to suggest anything. Also, we don't know whether your game is detecting the on-board graphics and you're forcing it to use the dedicated one using commandlines, in which case, you probably need to look at the GPU settings which vary depending on whether you have a Nvidia card or an AMD one.

• lol232 likes this

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:01 PM Edited by VizCount, 25 January 2014 - 05:07 PM.

Unfortunately that still makes no sense friend. The correct and only answer is that GTA IV has a dedicated memory limit. It makes no difference if a GPU is onboard or PCI, if there is a limit then the most you will ever achieve through any means is that limit, no?

The real question is has anyone been able to achieve 5 or 6GB in resource usage?

Cheers,

JJ_Judge
  • JJ_Judge

Tommy Vercetti! Remember the name!

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

If your graphics card is a dualGPU one divide the video memory by 2, otherwise it may be either a Titan, or a Quadro device. If you have a Titan, then it's really a bug in the game, but I don't have the slightest idea why you need so much video memory. It's the speed that matters, not the vram volume, or are you one of those "4 gig gaming graphics card" guys OMFG. With such old tech as GTA IV even with a huge amount of mods you won't gonna need more than 2 Gbs, unless you are playing on a couple of UltraHD monitors, so listen to those that understand this game in the future, FFS. And if your card is a Quadro, go get a gaming card, not a professional card, yet again, FFS, google why, or should we do that for you?

The reason why my reply is rather aggressive is because of this:

stating my system specs is irrelevant and would not assist you in answering my question

Behave like a smart*ss - get replies like smart*ss.

P.S. Haters gonna hate.

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I was not being a smarta$$ in any way...I was simply stating a point.

So you stated you're 2cents and STILL it doesn't answer the age old question I prompted. Is it possible for GTA IV to be aware of + 4GB dedicated video memory? Like how is that not comprehensible?

If someone has a "YES" to aswer, please explain how you were able to acheived it. If you don't know then there's no need to reply...it's that simple.

You're getting all frisky with me and still you did not answer the question??? Seriously bud???

Anyways...try and clam down and enjoy your day! =)

mysteryboyee
  • mysteryboyee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:03 PM Edited by mysteryboyee, 03 February 2014 - 07:21 PM.

just state your freaking specs, we can not help you, if you don't list them, PERIOD, its as simple as that, so either list your specs, or don't get help

Vincent Johnson
  • Vincent Johnson

China

• Members
  • China

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:03 AM Edited by Los_Vincent, 05 February 2014 - 02:04 AM.

3GB is the limit for GTA IV,so  you can create a commandline file(file extension is txt) file in you GTA IV root folder ,type:

-norestrictions
-availablevidmem 0.3
-percentvidmem 100%

and save

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

@Los_Vincent

"3GB is the limit for GTA IV" How can that be when through -availablevidmem 2.0 commandline I max out at 4005 MB? I don't think that is acurate bud. I don't understand why you say 3GB is the limit?

Cheers,

Vincent Johnson
  • Vincent Johnson

China

• Members
  • China

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:31 AM Edited by Los_Vincent, 07 February 2014 - 03:36 AM.

@Los_Vincent

"3GB is the limit for GTA IV" How can that be when through -availablevidmem 2.0 commandline I max out at 4005 MB? I don't think that is acurate bud. I don't understand why you say 3GB is the limit?

Cheers,

-availablevidmem 2.0 means your GPU memory×2.0,so can you tell me your GPU's true memory?or your screenshot in your GTA4 Graphics settings 
if your game resources reaches 3000M,you will be limited to adjust your Graphics settings,but can still  dedicate the memory
6GB can't be dedicate,the limit seems to be 4500MB
don't know why you wanna to reach 6GB?for GTA IV,1.5GB-2GB is enough to run the high Graphics  settings 
sorry for my bad english

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Los_Vincent,

Yes, my GPU is actually 6GB...that's why I was curious as to why GTA IV is not registering it...even through the "-availablevidmem" commandline. When you  say "limit seems to be 4500MB" is this something you have discovered through trial and error, or are you stating that because it's a known fact?

The purpose of achieving +4GB of dedicated memory is for mods (traffic, vehicle, maps, graphic enhancements etc...)

Thx for the reply bud.

Cheers,

Vincent Johnson
  • Vincent Johnson

China

• Members
  • China

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

"limit seems to be 4500MB" from other player i've met,i'm not sure about others just because i haven't seen 6GB GPU  :blink: ,the most i've seen is 4GB around. don't know how to solve you problem,wait for others lol :beerhat:

phenomnon
  • phenomnon

Player Hater

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:43 PM Edited by phenomnon, 11 February 2014 - 03:44 PM.

As far as I know most of games are 32-bits (http://gtaforums.com...64-bit-process/), so it can address 4GB at most, RAM (CPU) or VRAM (GPU).

I am not sure, but that 4GB limit is combining CPU and GPU usage, so a 32-bit application cannot use more than 4GB in total (1GB of RAM + 3GB of VRAM i.e.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users