Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think 'non-educational games/media' can be educational?

99 replies to this topic
Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Putt Putt couldn't live up to the standards of Freddi Fish or Spy Fox.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:38 AM Edited by Dr. John, 22 January 2014 - 09:02 AM.

You are probably insulting about 50 percent of the adult users of this forum with comments like that. Many of us here are working 10-12 hours a day. That does not mean you are spending every single second working and have no time to click off into other things. I don't think you understand the nature of many people's work.

What? How is my post insulting? I appriciate people who work and produce economy to the country. For God's sake theadmiral, I am not talking about people with occupation but people who are professional writers. What are you getting to by changing the subject now? I wanted to reply to you yesterday night but unfortunately, dad shut down the PC.

And John - do you have any proof that writers don't have time to access forums? Yes they are writers, but just because they are writers does not mean that they don't have time to do other things.

And mate, you will probably understand this once you grow up (I don't know if I should be saying this since I am also 13) because at the moment, well we are kids who are mostly focused on school. It'll be different when we become adults.

Yes, I am immature at these facts but I can assure you that writers are busy people as I have met with many of them. they always say that once their work is done, they will be free. I am not saying that writers don't view these forums. But I doubt there are any active and professional writers in this forum. That's what I was telling to theadmiral from my 5 posts earlier. She was just extending the arguement.

Dude, what games did you play in '90s anyways? Pac-man? We can say those games are not "educational". But, modern games ARE educational (except MMORPG games and others falling in this category).

You seriously make me worry that you haven't even touched any GTA game in your life.

Your comment on games in the 90s shows a severe lack of knowledge about the 90s and games. There is a huge amount of games from the 90s that could be classed as 'educational' by this poster's standards, on a relative level that makes current games look like sludge.

OK, I agree that I am not a real '90s kid but the games today are also very educational; that's my point. People these days don't play '90s games unless they want to over hype themselves with childhood nostalgia.

And please don't bring my age here. It's a bad excuse in debates. People of all ages can debate and share knowledge of theirs.

Anyways, enough with the writers crap. I am going to give some good movies which are very educational but not in a direct way:

- Harry Potter Series (It shows us moral values and Emma Watson)

- Spiderman Series ("With great powers comes great responsibilty)

- Real life related movies (They are always educational to people who are depressed)

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

You are probably insulting about 50 percent of the adult users of this forum with comments like that. Many of us here are working 10-12 hours a day. That does not mean you are spending every single second working and have no time to click off into other things. I don't think you understand the nature of many people's work.

What? How is my post insulting? I appriciate people who work and produce economy to the country. For God's sake theadmiral, I am not talking about people with occupation but people who are professional writers. What are you getting to by changing the subject now? I wanted to reply to you yesterday night but unfortunately, dad shut down the PC.

And John - do you have any proof that writers don't have time to access forums? Yes they are writers, but just because they are writers does not mean that they don't have time to do other things.

And mate, you will probably understand this once you grow up (I don't know if I should be saying this since I am also 13) because at the moment, well we are kids who are mostly focused on school. It'll be different when we become adults.

Yes, I am immature at these facts but I can assure you that writers are busy people as I have met with many of them. they always say that once their work is done, they will be free. I am not saying that writers don't view these forums. But I doubt there are any active and professional writers in this forum. That's what I was telling to theadmiral from my 5 posts earlier. She was just extending the arguement.

Dude, what games did you play in '90s anyways? Pac-man? We can say those games are not "educational". But, modern games ARE educational (except MMORPG games and others falling in this category).

You seriously make me worry that you haven't even touched any GTA game in your life.

Your comment on games in the 90s shows a severe lack of knowledge about the 90s and games. There is a huge amount of games from the 90s that could be classed as 'educational' by this poster's standards, on a relative level that makes current games look like sludge.

OK, I agree that I am not a real '90s kid but the games today are also very educational; that's my point. People these days don't play '90s games unless they want to over hype themselves with childhood nostalgia.

And  please don't bring my age here. It's a bad excuse in debates. People of all ages can debate and share knowledge of theirs.

Anyways, enough with the writers crap. I am going to give some good movies which are very educational but not in a direct way:

- Harry Potter Series (It shows us moral values and Emma Watson)

- Spiderman Series ("With great powers comes great responsibilty)

- Real life related movies (They are always educational to people who are depressed)

Okay you have to be f*cking with us right now because otherwise I have to take this post seriously and I'm not sure I can manage that.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

C'mon man, do you think I will be debating like sh*t for these few pages just to end up nowhere? I had a point, you all didn't understand it.

Anyways, I have never been able to express my thoughts very well to others. Let's leave this here only.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I'm *just saying* what if, GTA or COD were taught in schools?

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

There won't be any school shootouts.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:26 AM Edited by Osho, 22 January 2014 - 01:21 PM.

If you're serious than really, Nice point.

It will at the very early stage engage students to deal with some real controversial material in "GTA or COD" by allowing them to open up for discussion out of their curious minds watching violence, so learning to deal with it. I feel very sad to read about the shootouts and many innocent lives taken due to one student who may be kept apart and away from any social contacts in the real world. The kind of a young mind prone to violence and live in a fantasy world. It's more or less a child's curiosity about the game world and to help students effectively to overcome its effects on their life due to playing habits, an exposure to the subject will prove much useful in educating them the good or bad sides of the video games.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:55 AM Edited by Dr. John, 22 January 2014 - 10:34 AM.

It will at the very early stage engage students to deal with some very controversial stuff in "GTA or COD" by allowing them to open up for discussion out of their curious minds watching violence, thus learning to deal with it. I feel really sad to read about the shootouts and many innocent lives taken due to one student who may be isolated and away from any social contacts in the real world. The kind of young mind prone to violence and live in a fantasy world. It's more or less a child's curiosity about the game world and to help students effectively to overcome it's effects on their life due to playing habits, an exposure to the subject will prove much useful in educating them the good or bad sides of the video games.

I was being sarastic at some level (sorry) but you are making a very ironic statement here.

Bad influence is bad. You can't engage students until they want to learn so. A few weeks back, a boy in China was not able to live properly because his father forced him to play GTA IV. I still remember a topic here in this section itself.

I don't even think schools feel friendly over video games. They are the ones who teach kids that they should study and not play video games.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:21 AM Edited by Osho, 22 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.

It will at the very early stage engage students to deal with some very controversial stuff in "GTA or COD" by allowing them to open up for discussion out of their curious minds watching violence, thus learning to deal with it. I feel really sad to read about the shootouts and many innocent lives taken due to one student who may be isolated and away from any social contacts in the real world. The kind of young mind prone to violence and live in a fantasy world. It's more or less a child's curiosity about the game world and to help students effectively to overcome it's effects on their life due to playing habits, an exposure to the subject will prove much useful in educating them the good or bad sides of the video games.

I was being sarastic at some level (sorry) but you are making a very ironic statement here.

Bad influence is bad. You can't engage students until they want to learn so. A few weeks back, a boy in China was not able to live properly because his father forced him to play GTA IV. I still remember a topic here in this section itself.

i don't even think schools feel friendly over video games. They are the ones who teach kids that they should study and not play video games.

Here are schools who are trying to gather support for comprehensive sex education in the curriculum. Any thoughts, why? Because they are friendly about the said subject or want to serve the general purpose of awareness in the students who are equally exposed to it via other sources, out of reach.

The main idea of having video games is to include as fun and creative activity to impart reality of certain situations for the school students, beginning with at how games work, what purpose they serve and the way they involve major risks and not to mention the controversial ideas.

How did you realize, the first time, that indeed these games can have a bad influence? You may be following the series at an age difference to whom it's intended, right?

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I can say that GTA is educational to the adult audiance but it can cause a severe problems to school children. School, which tends to educate us good morals, cannot use action and blood games as an example of modern education.

There are many good games which are educational and at the same time not so violent. Schools CAN use them as an example.

Using GTA and COD will just excite kids to play more violent games. When school kids become more mature, then we can let them play these games. We can be safe to say that they won't become crazy with the game's mechanism and try to become criminals in real life.

But really, schools have made study, by far, more interesting. They have audio-video classes, more intertesting chapters, improved teachers and staff and a lot more. We are not funding the school just so they can smoke weed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users