Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.eliomotors.com/

It boasts an estimated 84 MPG Highway and a 672 Mile/8 gallon tank for only $6,800. Looks like it could be promising. Thoughts?

whyelio.png

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:30 PM Edited by epoxi, 19 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

Not to be a grumpy naysayer, but it has the impracticalities of a motorcycle and none of the advantages apart from covering the driver, but BMW made an (unsuccessful) covered motorbike. It's probably more of a toy than daily driver.

In my opinion it's no better than this:

1f26_4.JPG

1993 Daihatsu Charade turbo diesel. 100mpg (about 83mpg US). Cost only a couple thousand dollars more when new, is a similar size and has 5 seats. Of course it probably has a worse crash rating and is incredibly dated, but it could easily be upgraded as a design.

Also, Japanese kei cars are expensive, but I'm sure if they knocked down the build quality and features to US-market standards they could outstrip the Elio...but the Japanese haven't done that because there just wouldn't be a market for it in the land of free parking strip malls, $4.50/gallon gas and 8-lane highways.

In fact, Daihatsu withdrew from the US in 1992 because of the lack of sales of that Charade.

• Frank Brown likes this

Moth
  • Moth

Baka Senpai

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, no thanks. This isn't going to do well if it even releases. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes another vapidware car company, like Carbon Motors.

• Frank Brown likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:43 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 20 January 2014 - 03:44 AM.

Thoughts?

sure.

-ugly

-too small

the gas mileage is great, but it's just a death trap on wheels.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Thoughts?

sure.

-ugly

-too small

It's ugly, sure, but this thing would be great for commuters, don't you think? My car gets only 20 MPG highway. I'd switch over to this in a heartbeat if it saved me money. 

Moth
  • Moth

Baka Senpai

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

Thoughts?

sure.

-ugly

-too small

It's ugly, sure, but this thing would be great for commuters, don't you think? My car gets only 20 MPG highway. I'd switch over to this in a heartbeat if it saved me money. 

Would you really? Couldn't you get a used light weight car(Think Honda CRX) for the same amount and have it be more useful? This is for all intents and purposes a bike in a shell. Hell you would need to get a bike license to even drive the thing.

I would never got the reasoning why car manufacturers like to say single person transportation is the future. It would make congestion much worst than it already is! 

• epoxi and Frank Brown like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Thoughts?

sure.

-ugly

-too small

Would you really? Couldn't you get a used light weight car(Think Honda CRX) for the same amount and have it be more useful? This is for all intents and purposes a bike in a shell. Hell you would need to get a bike license to even drive the thing.

I would never got the reasoning why car manufacturers like to say single person transportation is the future. It would make congestion much worst than it already is! 

I would. I'm a college student, I live with my parents, and I don't have kids. For basic transportation to and from work/college I'd love something like this, I'd only pay 1/4th of the money I pay for gas. Probably less since I have to pay for Premium and this takes Regular. 

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

I like it. I have to do weekly commutes over 100 miles. What it costs me in gas makes me grind my teeth. I'd ride a motorcycle, but weather around here isn't exactly friendly. That wouldn't be a problem with Elio, though.

Depending on where I get a job after the Ph.D., I might still consider getting one of these. It doesn't make sense as main family car, but as a second "car", I do like it.

• Frank Brown likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

This sounds suspiciously similar to this.

• epoxi likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

This sounds suspiciously similar to this.

It does. In a lot of details. I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of inspiration for Elio. The key difference is that several prototypes of Elio actually exist, and the plant for production has been secured. This can still turn out to be a flop, but it does not come off as something that's just a scam.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

What I don't understand about this advertising though: the Elio is only three-wheeled. By most (if not all) areas in the US, this would be classified as a motorcycle. Is it different because of the closed cabin, or are they just skimming over that little detail? Many people might be extremely tempted to buy it, only to find out once they take it on the road that they are driving it without a license...

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I don't see this being very successful. It's ugly and impractical.  I can see it being a "toy" vehicle that a few people might want, but nothing more than that.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

What I don't understand about this advertising though: the Elio is only three-wheeled. By most (if not all) areas in the US, this would be classified as a motorcycle. Is it different because of the closed cabin, or are they just skimming over that little detail? Many people might be extremely tempted to buy it, only to find out once they take it on the road that they are driving it without a license...

It's classified as a motorcycle everywhere in US, but whether you need a motorcycle endorsement for it or not varies by state. They do actually mention it in the FAQs on the site. Same deal with the helmet. Most states do not require a helmet in a motorcycle with a fully enclosed cabin, but a few do.

Guys at Elio are actually lobbying in several states to change their laws to treat Elio and vehicles like it more like cars. I believe, they've already managed to change helmet laws in at least one state.

In the worst case, though, it's just a matter of taking driving test again in an Elio to get your endorsement. It's a bit of an extra hassle, but not much of one. I don't think people who want to buy one of these will be discouraged by it.

I don't see this being very successful. It's ugly and impractical. I can see it being a "toy" vehicle that a few people might want, but nothing more than that.

I can understand "ugly". It's a matter of taste. Doesn't put me off, but I care about function more than looks. But impractical? Certainly, this isn't going to be your primary family car. I'm not going to take my wife shopping in this, because it can fit either the groceries or a passenger. But consider a typical family. Do you need two cars? Probably. Do you need two large cars capable of taking a full load of people and groceries? Probably not. As a second car, Elio makes perfect sense. I certainly wouldn't mind driving something like this on my long commute.

You also have to consider a huge demographic of people who don't need a large car at all. My university has over 20,000 undergraduates on the main campus. Almost half of them drive there. Parking costs over $100/semester. Motorcycle parking costs $15/semester. Now consider this pool of students, and offer them transportation that's just as convenient as their car, uses up a third of gas, costs a fraction in parking, and has a very reasonable price tag, how many of these do you think will say, "Nah. It's ugly. I'm going to keep wasting money I don't have on a big car?"

This vehicle definitely has its place on the market. It's not going to compete with primary sales of new vehicles. It's going to compete with a used car market as a second car or university student car. And there, it can easily take the quarter million per year sales target that Elio Motors is shooting for. Whether it actually makes it will depend on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:05 PM Edited by Ex Hellraiser, 26 January 2014 - 10:06 PM.

Am I vain enough to choose a used, lesser quality, lesser MPG hatchback that isn't an eyesore over a newer, more economical, low-priced ugly excuse for a car?

Yes, yes I am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users