DYOM Needs Improvement!

14 replies to this topic
Wolf247
  • Wolf247

Writer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

Many DYOM users lack of good grammar, not perfect grammar, but you know what I mean. And most of those people either copy something from some game like Call of Duty, which has the most copies with bad grammar. That's why I very often see in-game conversations like: Private Blood: Go kill enemy building! Captain Ghost: Yes sr! Some people don't even know English, they just make it on their native language, but I think that could be solved if we had multiple languages available on the main DYOM website, I'm even willing and able to help with that project. We could tell the users with bad grammar to make missions in their own language. And a good idea is to make more categories on the DYOM website, so we would first make genres like Gang, War, Sci-fi, Zombie etc, etc... that would be categorized. We could make subgenres, if they would be needed but I doubt it. We could at least sort missions by languages so people know what to find and where to find it. And for those CoD copycats, we could make a special genre where all game copies will be submitted.

Chips237
  • Chips237

Father Jirachi

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Not everyone can speak English as fluent as you.

These people may or may not be from an English-speaking country, and they may have another main language they use.

So, just deal with it.

• Target13, The Odyssey and Martin_GDF like this

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• The Connection
  • Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

I could not disagree more with you, on your sproposed solution. I wholeheartedly believe that it's better to have a mission with crappy English grammar than a mission in a language that no one, but a handful of DYOM users speak.
If the mission is good, crappy grammar doesn't bother me a lot. At least I'll be able to follow the plot of the mission. 
Actively supporting various languages on the site only divides the community into small groups, And I assume many will still make English missions to reach a broad audience. 

• Jimmy_Leppard and Target13 like this

SlingShot753
  • SlingShot753

Yep, that's me!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:14 AM Edited by SlingShot753, 19 January 2014 - 12:18 AM.

I'm Brazilian, and I'm working on a storyline, with both english and portuguese(my language), I don't speak english fluent, but it will make my missions playable (understand better the story) than never playing it.

Alif Akbar
  • Alif Akbar

Act Naturally

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, I agree with Patrick. We only can just stick to what has been made and just let the website goes. If the grammar is in an understandable level and the mission is good enough, why don't we state is as a "good mission" ?

But I do agree with sub-categories. Many DYOM user has their own typical missions that they played and they made. Many users prefer remaking an original game like COD that have been said, the category "Game Remake" should perfect with them. Many users prefer original idea maybe a gang story, the category "Gangster Life/Criminal Life" would be a great idea. So it would be perfect to have sub categories in the website

Martin_GDF
  • Martin_GDF

Schizophrenic Bastard

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

I agree with Patrick, everyone has the right of using DYOM in any country they are... they won't make new improvements to designers that don't speak English ¬¬

For example, I'm argentinian, and I don't use native language, I just speak as far as I know the language, the most of the users here try to explain theirselves by English when they speak other language, so... give them all a try!

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

Actually, good grammar is not necessary when we have good missions; just like Patrick said. The grammar must be taken care only when you strive for 100% Presentation. DYOM Community is mixed with many people from every part of the world. You can't just put a law that english is a must. People will improve their grammar after a few months. That's what happened with me.

DYOM - Design Your Own Missions

The creator can do whatever he wants with his missions. It's us who will have to understand their missions.

• Martin_GDF likes this

Wolf247
  • Wolf247

Writer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

I could not disagree more with you, on your sproposed solution. I wholeheartedly believe that it's better to have a mission with crappy English grammar than a mission in a language that no one, but a handful of DYOM users speak.
If the mission is good, crappy grammar doesn't bother me a lot. At least I'll be able to follow the plot of the mission. 
Actively supporting various languages on the site only divides the community into small groups, And I assume many will still make English missions to reach a broad audience. 

Well there is a ton of people that know the same language, I mean, there is a lot of people that know Portugese and Spanish, or Malay. But seriously tho, some of the poor-English speakers make bad missions and that's a fact. Not all, but some.

I'm Brazilian, and I'm working on a storyline, with both english and portuguese(my language), I don't speak english fluent, but it will make my missions playable (understand better the story) than never playing it.

Your grammar is good enough, I'm talking about people who really don't know English so bad that you can't understand them.

I agree with Patrick, everyone has the right of using DYOM in any country they are... they won't make new improvements to designers that don't speak English ¬¬

For example, I'm argentinian, and I don't use native language, I just speak as far as I know the language, the most of the users here try to explain theirselves by English when they speak other language, so... give them all a try!

Your English is fluent enough. My native language isn't English, but my English is fluent enough to Communicate.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• The Connection
  • Netherlands
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Well there is a ton of people that know the same language, I mean, there is a lot of people that know Portugese and Spanish, or Malay. But seriously tho, some of the poor-English speakers make bad missions and that's a fact. Not all, but some.

Some of the native-English speakers also make bad missions and that's a fact. Not all, but some.  :whistle:

The point is that letting poor designers make their missions in another language doesn't make their missions any better, as their language and gramar isn't the problem in the first place. It's their mission-making skills and their lack of imagination.

JoshDa1
  • JoshDa1

[NTWK][SHERIFF] Desert Fairytale

• Members

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'm indonesian but i can speak englist well :)

gheorgheM
  • gheorgheM

Resident dadaist

• Members
  • Moldova

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

what if those who aren't fluent with english, and make crappy missions just can't figure out dyom's english interface and that's one of the reasons their missions are so crappy? does dyom support the other languages the game supports? :monocle:

still, mission categories is a good idea (or maybe tags (I hate tags though)), because honestly, I'm kinda sick of having to go through so many cod or gangsta missions, in the archive, while looking for something different...(not that the search always gives you out of the results) :angry:

I would like to ask what's the point in having buildings in the objects category of dyom8?

also, could you do something with the animations, some of them are repetitive (talking, handshaking), while others don't even exist (shooting various weapons (this would help in cutscenes), combat stances and animations (there's only boxing and kung-fu, and even those aren't complete)).

oh yeah, and could something be done with respawning after failing a mission? I find it rather irritating that the character first respawns at a hospital, and then as carl at the player-spawn point... :(

RamiV2
  • RamiV2

Muscle Car Lover

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

The point of having buildings in the objects category is to give designers more freedom. I've seen some missions that effectively use the buildings.

As for the main post, I completely disagree. Not many people are making missions as it is & dividing them will make each language have only 2 or 3 mission packs in the works. I haven't run into too many missions where the grammar is so bad that it's unreadable.

gheorgheM
  • gheorgheM

Resident dadaist

• Members
  • Moldova

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

I haven't run into too many missions where the grammar is so bad that it's unreadable.

obviously you and me play different missions... :lol:

Ibrahim-al baghdadi
  • Ibrahim-al baghdadi

“Proud Founder of The 'Vercetti' Crime Family''

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Valid point, DYOM missions would be good to have a  'spell checker'  whilst typing so that it wouldn't be a problem probably not to hard to do either, I dunno maybe just a suggestion?

(Not saying all people can't spell but I've seen plenty that can't)

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• The Connection
  • Netherlands
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Building a spell-checker into DYOM it a bit far-fetched. But with the new export/import objective texts feature, you can easily check your spelling/grammar in your favorite editor.

• Target13 and KD himan like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users