Photo

Suggest a horror movie that is actually scary

19 replies to this topic
LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

I have seen plenty of horror movies but almost never / rarely got scared.
Are there any new horror movies from 2008-2013 that are actualy rly scary?
I have seen all the new stuff which got so much praise for being rly scary like Insidious, Conjuring or all the paranormal movies but I never got scared by any of those movies.
Plz suggest some horror movies that will actually scare me.

During the last 3 years the only horror movie that rly scared me like hell was
the Fourth Kind.
Can you suggest some scary movies which are intense like this one and which will actually scare me?

Thx

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Nothing recent I can think of, sorry (modern horror is all about f*cking jump scares). These two are classics:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/

The second one is a favorite of mine (I like The Shining, the first one, too, but I much prefer the book).

• Mister Pink likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

Try watching Lil Weasels home movies, and you will know real terror!!!

• Moonshield likes this

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

First time i watched 1408 with john cusack, (i was 21), i thought that was pretty scary.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Insidious, Conjuring, Rec 1 and 2 and a documentary style movie called The Tunnel.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Mama is pretty scary.

• Moonshield likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

everyone has different ideas of what "scary" is.

but try this one; Antichrist from 2009.

Larsvontrierantichristposter.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/

Vormek
  • Vormek

I am not in danger. I AM the danger!

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Lol, The Conjuring didn't scare you but The Fourth Kind did? I guess people have different opinions about what is scary. The Fourth Kind didn't scare me a bit, I didn't buy it was a true story and it probably is. It's not that hard to fake some homemade footage and add it to the film to show what it "really looked like".

Anyway, it seems like ghost movies doesn't scare you. But the most terrifying ghost movie I've seen is the original "The Eye" from China. It's called Gin Gwai. It's from 2002 and has some genuinly intense and terrifying moments like the ghost in the elevator.

Also, why limit yourself to 2008 - 2013? Most movies today are garbage. You will find true gems before the 21st century.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

The Forth Kind scared me too. Why though? Okay, I think it has everything to do with the movie being based off true events. Seems like to me the events that happened in that movie could have actually happened to anyone anywhere. It just happened in a little town in Alaska.

Now, new movies out these days that are not based on true events. Just plain fictional just doesn't scare me or do anything for me really.

Okay, my scariest non-fictional movie has to be a documentary I found on You Tube a few years ago. It was when I was trying to figure out how the world really works. Like who really runs the country, who controls our wealth, things like that.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=atxGNYrBftI

It's around 1 hour 52 min. long. But it is by far the scariest movie I ever saw. Non-fiction is always scarier then fiction to me atleast.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Lol, The Conjuring didn't scare you but The Fourth Kind did? I guess people have different opinions about what is scary. The Fourth Kind didn't scare me a bit, I didn't buy it was a true story and it probably is. It's not that hard to fake some homemade footage and add it to the film to show what it "really looked like".

Anyway, it seems like ghost movies doesn't scare you. But the most terrifying ghost movie I've seen is the original "The Eye" from China. It's called Gin Gwai. It's from 2002 and has some genuinly intense and terrifying moments like the ghost in the elevator.

Also, why limit yourself to 2008 - 2013? Most movies today are garbage. You will find true gems before the 21st century.

It might not be hard to fake homemade footage but what if it happened to you and you were laughed at, eh? You can't possibly doubting something you haven't even experienced nor believe in. The exorcist was a true story and it was proved as well.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

Mama is as scary as movies get these days. Not really too scary but very surreal and interesting.

• Moonshield likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Horror isn't my favourite genre due to me being rarely scared. They rarely do anything for me. having said that, VHS had some spooky moments. 

• Brobinski likes this

jaidev
  • jaidev

Punk Ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Scary Movie 1,2,3 and 4

So DAMN SCARY!!!

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:39 PM Edited by Brobinski, 29 January 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Horror isn't my favourite genre due to me being rarely scared. They rarely do anything for me. having said that, VHS had some spooky moments. 

VHS is so goddamn good. Watch this sh*t right now people. Between the Amateur Night short (highlight of the series by far) and Second Honeymoon there's a lot of scares. SH is particularly notable because of how mundane it is; all the other shorts have some traditional horror-film elements to it, but SH is just brutal and creepy. It feels almost like a snuff film.

The second one is a lot more fun and less scary, but also worth a watch. Safe Haven is just brilliantly bonkers.

Edit: Just realised my post might be a bit confusing if you don't know about the films or didn't watch the trailer. The V/H/S films are anthologies, meaning there are a number of short films contained in one feature length film. Amateur Night and Second Honeymoon are two of the shorts in V/H/S (the first one) and Safe Haven is one from V/H/S 2. There are only 2 films so far, but the model of having a number of directors working on short films means there's a very quick turnaround on them. I imagine number 3 won't be too far off.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

This is actually similar to that Alien movie about a female alien trying to mate with other human beings, killing one after another. In this one, the "succubus" or whatever it's called is just dirtier and looks like a half fish.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

I have a hard time watching those 'found-film' type of horror movies.

ever since the Blair Witch; they're almost all the same.

not hard to watch because they're scary but in they're always too long with no real payoff.

it's usually just excessive handheld camera scenes which give you motion sickness combined with a host of relatively cheap special effects (like the flying dishes in the kitchen). is it so much to ask for some originality in our horror flicks? I dunno...

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

not hard to watch because they're scary but in they're always too long with no real payoff.

Which is probably why you'll like the VHS films. The longest short in the series is like 18 minutes long (barring the "framing" stories, but they're admittedly pretty bad). There's not much time for filler in the shorts at all really and when you;re telling such short stories they need a proper payoff.

I might be full of it though. I love the first one so much not only because I think it's entertaining and a great watch, but also because it's interesting from a film studies perspective. The literal take on the male-gaze and inherent misogyny of horror films is a big talking point.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Horror movies just aren't scary. They're all just so cheesy. Doesn't mean I don't like them though. I mainly watch them for the death scenes.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

The forth kind was sh*t, nightmare on sesame street is really scary.

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Sing a song for the swag man.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Insidious was the last one that genuinely creeped me out. Then again, I'm a pussy when it comes to watching scary movies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users