50 replies to this topic
geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Orange-Is-The-New-Black-Title.jpg 

Orange Is the New Black is an American comedy-drama series, which premiered on July 11, 2013, on Netflix. The series, based on the book of the same name, follows Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman, a happily engaged New Yorker who is sent to a women's federal prison, presumably for transporting a suitcase full of drug money across international borders for her now ex-lover.

Any more Orange Is the New Black fans? Discuss/share your views and opinions. If you haven't yet seen it, go and watch it!

I've just finished watching season one through for the second time. Just like Weeds, OITNB is addicting. It'll pull you in and it certainly won't let go until you've finished watching the first season. Somebody recommended the show after I told them I was a fan of Weeds. I wasn't too sure what to expect at first, but alas, I eventually tried it out and hell, I love(d) it! It's the kind of show that can make you cringe, laugh, smile and frown all in one hour.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Watched it and loved it, I really like the raw feel of it, it feels real (to the extent I can asses US female penitentiaries). The season finale though, that was  one hell of a cliffhanger, can't wait to see what happens in season 2.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Jenji Kohan seems to write the same characters over and over and Weeds got a little tiresome toward the end but I really enjoyed the first season of this show. The politics in the prison are pretty hilarious and I've always had a secret thing for Laura Prepon. I'd definitely recommend it.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I have bad news for you, she only will be back for 4 episodes of the new season. 

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I've always had a secret thing for Laura Prepon.

I'm with you there. She looks really good at times in the show too.

Have any of you heard about Michelle Hurst (plays Miss Claudette)? According to the media she woke up from a coma yesterday after being in car accident. The way the media's making it out, the car accident sounds like a pretty bad one too. People have donated over $10,000 according to an article I read too. 

I presume Hurst won't be in some of season's two episodes if that's the case, which is a shame. 

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

Love this show :^: I have a penchant for anything lesbian and I kept hearing things about it, so I binged on Netflix and finished it in a couple of days during a week off work. I've not seen Weeds so I can't compare from other comments, but it's really funny and touching in places, love the character development and back story of each inmate. 

The only annoying thing is that Laura Prepon is apparently a big scientologist and hates all the lesbian attention she is getting, she should have known this going into such a show! When I heard she would be leaving in season 2 it disappointed me, but then I realised I cared more about the full cast of characters than the relationship between Piper and Alex.

Hopefully it's back soon.

And christ that's terrible about Miss Claudette, hope she is OK.

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Took my missus a while to convince me to watch it and I got hooked immediately. The characters are all really well portrayed with good acting and I seem to like them or get to know them more than other TV shows(if that makes sense)

I can't wait for season 2 to start.

Crazy eyes is my favourite.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

As long as Pennsatucky makes it back for S2 I'll be happy.

Love that bible bashing methhead.

• EyeMacHunt likes this

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Love this show :^: I have a penchant for anything lesbian and I kept hearing things about it, so I binged on Netflix and finished it in a couple of days during a week off work. I've not seen Weeds so I can't compare from other comments, but it's really funny and touching in places, love the character development and back story of each inmate. 

The only annoying thing is that Laura Prepon is apparently a big scientologist and hates all the lesbian attention she is getting, she should have known this going into such a show! When I heard she would be leaving in season 2 it disappointed me, but then I realised I cared more about the full cast of characters than the relationship between Piper and Alex.

Hopefully it's back soon.

And christ that's terrible about Miss Claudette, hope she is OK.

I agree, the character development and the back story of individual [main] characters is just awesome. At first, I thought the show was going to focus more on Piper and Alex's relationship. When we started to see the stories behind the other inmates I was pulled in even more. 

I've not heard about Laura Prepon supposedly being a scientologist before! I know that she told the media she has desires to direct her own movie this year and that she didn't have a contract for anything beyond season one. Apparently she's negotiating her season three status. Hey, we might see her back in season three! I sure hope so. It is disappointing to know that Alex will only be in four episodes of season two though, I agree.

I hope it's back soon too! 

As long as Pennsatucky makes it back for S2 I'll be happy.

Love that bible bashing methhead.

I'm the same, but with me, I don't even know what it is about Pennsatucky's character, lol!

Taryn Manning's acting career seems to be evolving. I first noticed her in Sons of Anarchy and I don't think she was in anything 'big' before that. She does a good job pulling off Pennsatucky's character, without a doubt.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:30 PM Edited by Vlynor, 18 January 2014 - 11:31 PM.

I've never seen it and don't have Netflix. Is it worth subscribing just for this show? I've heard it's great from a couple of people I know, and they're filming some of the correctional facility scenes a few miles away from me.

Also, relevant: 

http://www.tmz.com/2...-accident-coma/

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

I've never seen it and don't have Netflix. Is it worth subscribing just for this show? I've heard it's great from a couple of people I know, and they're filming some of the correctional facility scenes a few miles away from me.

Also, relevant: 

http://www.tmz.com/2...-accident-coma/

Although [obviously] I'm really fond of the show I wouldn't subscribe to Netflix just for it. There's a lot of other good material on Netflix though, like Arrested Development. If you ask me, it's worth subscribing to Netflix, especially over Love Film and most other similar services.

Yeah, I mentioned Hurst's accident in one of my previous posts. Pretty sad, really. Miss Claudette's character is pretty rad, too.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

I'd say that this show, AD, House of Cards and all the other content on the service definitely warrant shelling out the 8 bucks for a sub. You can get your first month free anyway so you could just cancel before they bill you if you're a cheap bastard. There are of course other ways to get the show as well.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Yeah, I mentioned Hurst's accident in one of my previous posts. Pretty sad, really. Miss Claudette's character is pretty rad, too.

Ah, sorry. Must have missed it.

Although [obviously] I'm really fond of the show I wouldn't subscribe to Netflix just for it. There's a lot of other good material on Netflix though, like Arrested Development. If you ask me, it's worth subscribing to Netflix, especially over Love Film and most other similar services.

I'd say that this show, AD, House of Cards and all the other content on the service definitely warrant shelling out the 8 bucks for a sub. You can get your first month free anyway so you could just cancel before they bill you if you're a cheap bastard. There are of course other ways to get the show as well.

House of Cards is a really good show. When I had Netflix before I had probably watched that more than any other. It also has Mad Men, so yeah, maybe it's time to resubscribe. 

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Season 2 is up. Marathon time.

http://www.netflix.c...geisthenewblack

• Kirsty likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Woop! been waiting for this for a long time after I binged and finished the first season in 3 days. Hoping to try and pace myself even a little bit this time, but what the hell I'll be getting through at least the first few episodes this weekend.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

I saw a few episodes and it's pretty good. I think I'm a lesbian...

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

Season 2 is already up?

How did I miss this...

Damnit. Time to binge like House of Cards. 

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

I finally started watching this last night after I got back from work. I literally put on my PJ's (yes I'm 10) and sat in bed from about 6pm to about midnight just watching the episodes. I have to say, its pretty hilarious. Its the odd comments that make it funny, the character developments are great too makes it more interesting to see the back stories for each inmate rather than never knowing. Jason Biggs is still that awkward teenager, I can't not get that thought out of my head about him but he's rarely been in it which is good. I'm gonna watch the rest of the season 1 and then season 2 over the weekend (hopefully get some college work done while I'm at it ) but yeah its a good show.

Oh also, didn't realise that Alex chick was the girl from that 70's show? Until I heard her talk.

• Voodoo and Kirsty like this

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

I managed to squeeze in the first new episode last night, still going strong! The balance between the quite dark drama and quite ridiculous humour is still there and sits just right. The events of the first episode are pretty intense and a bit Guantanamo-like but still had some really good laughs.

Watching this show again has reminded me of the thing I have for trashy women though. In the first series I thought the white girl with the corn rows and neck tattoo was pretty cute, and this time round I couldn't help but think that girl with the spider tattooed on her face was pretty hot. What is wrong with me?

• Kirsty likes this

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Nothing's wrong, you just go for the women that are lesbians. Hahaha.

• Kirsty likes this

ThaiboyDigital
  • ThaiboyDigital

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Sweden

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just went through Season 2, better than Season 1 actually.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:17 PM Edited by Brobinski, 07 June 2014 - 10:48 PM.

Nothing's wrong, you just go for the women that are lesbians. Hahaha.

I can't see how this could possibly go badly for me!

I guess there's just something about facial tattoos that make me think "Hey, you look like you make a lot of bad life decisions and I would like to be one of them".

krashr
  • krashr

head on a stick

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

a few friends have told me to check this out, it does look pretty funny.. one of the good things about being slow on the uptake with things like this is, if i like it, i'll be able to marathon a whole season =)

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

a few friends have told me to check this out, it does look pretty funny.. one of the good things about being slow on the uptake with things like this is, if i like it, i'll be able to marathon a whole season =)

Well this is a Netflix show, so the seasons are realeased all at once, but once one is released you have to wait a long time until the next one comes out, which sucks because this show is great and the 2nd seasons is just as good as the first.

• krashr likes this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:56 PM Edited by Voodoo, 08 June 2014 - 12:56 PM.

This show is like crack. I'm about half way through season 2 now and it has all of the great prison drama and character development that the first did and more. Such a great series.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Started watching last year but thought there was too much female nudity. And I was enjoying it too much but now Im gonna start.

Looks OK I guess.

Is it like Breaking Bad ? I mean in terms of uniqueness.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:02 PM Edited by Brobinski, 09 June 2014 - 11:07 PM.

Started watching last year but thought there was too much female nudity. And I was enjoying it too much but now Im gonna start.

Looks OK I guess.

Is it like Breaking Bad ? I mean in terms of uniqueness.

There is a lot of nudity. A large amount of it does tend to be in the vein day-to-day life rather than titillation though. Prisoners are going to see each other naked often enough, so we are too. That said, there's also a significant amount of sex too.

I'd say it has some similarities with BB's first season. In that it's got some quite dark drama but has a comedic edge that stems from its ridiculousness. The major difference being that the drama/comedy ratio is probably reversed.

I've only just finished episode six of S2 earlier today. I'm really liking how Piper, while she remains the thread that ties it all together, isn't really the main focus any more. I'm just hoping we get more from the Spanish Harlem group, they keep featuring in others' stories but rarely their own (except Gloria). It's strange though, because the writers have really fleshed some of them out. For example there is Flaca. She's a C, maybe B at a push, list character. She could easily just be a latina stereotype, but when given the chance she's all gothed up with her makeup and she's really into music like The Smiths, Depeche Mode and Erasure as well as post punk. It's little things like that that make the show stand out to me. Plus, Flaca and Maritza are like, the cutest thing together.

Also, on a completely unrelated note (S2E4 spoiler):

Spoiler

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:39 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 10 June 2014 - 08:40 AM.

I watched two episodes. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind at the time. While I was sitting there, thinking I wasn't all that, retrospectively, I think I was enjoying it somewhat. I might re-visit it. Some smart and warm comments about it in this topic from members I respect, so I probably will try it again. And f*ck, imagine I gave up on The Wire after two episodes!?!?

hungrywhiteboy
  • hungrywhiteboy

wait what

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Spoiler

also laura prepon is confirmed to appear in every single episode of season 3

also can we all just agree that larry is the most unnecessary character... in the history of tv shows. 

also i couldn't stop laughing at this part because literally everybody i know in real life is reading this book and won't stop talking about it

tumblr_n70r1ftbIO1qarskbo2_500.png

krashr
  • krashr

head on a stick

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

finally got to see the first two episodes. officially hooked!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users