Quantcast

» «
Photo

Acting performance: Trevor vs Franklin vs Michael

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Performance (200 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose performance did you think was the BEST?

1. Steven Ogg (Trevor) (137 votes [68.50%])

Percentage of vote: 68.50%

2. Ned Luke Luke (Michael) (53 votes [26.50%])

Percentage of vote: 26.50%

3. Shawn Fonteno (Franklin) (10 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Whose performance did you LIKE the most?

1. Steven Ogg (Trevor) (110 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. Ned Luke Luke (Michael) (70 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

3. Shawn Fonteno (Franklin) (20 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

If the game was to be have only ONE protagonist, which would you pick?

1. Steven Ogg (Trevor) (45 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

2. Ned Luke Luke (Michael) (112 votes [56.00%])

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

3. Shawn Fonteno (Franklin) (43 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote
DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

Pretty simple. We've got three awesome actors lending their likeness, voices, and movements to the three protagonists.

Our three stars are:

be9ce79b6da3f50544b6d93183058e41.jpeg

Ned Luke as Michael De Santa/Townley

8cb2846bb482c363814e19e857f8878d.jpeg

Steven Ogg as Trevor Phillips

4lz8.png

Shawn Fonteno as Franklin Clinton

Question is, who did you think did it better?

Just to clarify: the first question asks which of the three actors did the best job at acting, while question 2 asks whose performance you liked the most. So, the first asks who is the better actor, while the second asks who you preferred, regardless of acting talent.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

I voted Michael for each option. If there was to be only one protag, it would be Michael. Trevor and F would be side characters and crew members for heists.

All of the three voice actors done a good job, but Ned Luke's performance stood out from the rest.
  • theNGclan, Flight180Victm, sivaG and 3 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

I voted Michael for each option. If there was to be only one protag, it would be Michael. Trevor and F would be side characters and crew members for heists.

All of the three voice actors done a good job, but Ned Luke's performance stood out from the rest.

Michael was the first one they came up with. He also has the most missions available to him than Trevor and Franklin.

I don't think they would have been simply crew members for heists. They probably would have kept their current roles - just not have been playable.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have to give a tie to Michael and Trevor as both having the best acting. As far as which character I liked the most I'd say Michael.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Steven Ogg is a professional voice-over guy anyway. He's the freakin' "Subway: Eat Fresh!" guy! He gave a stellar performance.

Ned Luke did very well also.

Shawn Fonteno didn't do badly either, assuming Franklin is always supposed to sound stoned. 

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:43 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 17 January 2014 - 07:45 AM.

Michael was the first one they came up with. He also has the most missions available to him than Trevor and Franklin.

I don't think they would have been simply crew members for heists. They probably would have kept their current roles - just not have been playable.

That's my guess too. I think it'd be a very similar story, with these guys filling the same type of role that Big Smoke/Sweet played in GTA San Andreas or Lance Vance/Kent Rosenberg played in Vice City.

And as for my OP, I think Ogg made the best performance. It's really hard to act like a maniac and be convincing, even threatening, and Ogg knocks it out of the park. It's the same reason why Mark Hamill kept getting Joker roles: because f*ck, he was convincing. I preferred Luke's performance, though. I finally figured out why the other day:

He has the same type of voice as John McClane. I f*cking LOVE the Die Hard films (well, the first and third, mostly). And I think, subconsciously, that type of voice just makes the character seem more badass to me.

And ofc, Michael would be the best to carry his own game. Trevor is too maniacal to be by his lonesome (I mean, at least Tommy Vercetti had a motive for his madness) and Franklin's a little too bland.

I thought all three did f*cking awesome for their roles though, would not replace any of them.

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

IMO, Ogg's performance was the best and I liked him the most. If there was only one protagonist, it would be Michael as he was unique and we have never had a protagonist like him.

• Pastry likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

They all done a great job IMO, but I feel Ned's was the best.
  • Flight180Victm and sivaG like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

I think Fonteno put in the best performance. 

Ned Luke's was pretty stiff in places, Ogg's was way too hammy. 

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:50 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 17 January 2014 - 10:51 AM.

Ogg's performance was the best. He nailed Trevor perfectly - and it didn't matter what Trevor was in the scene - an eccentric madman, a chilling psycho or emotional wreck. His voice acting was also just as good.

But Ned Luke's performance was amazing too. It's just that crazy characters usually steal the show in whatever film or video game they appear. Luke just didn't have an opportunity to "act out" or whatever as much as Ogg. They are both amazing actors and I hope V will help them to make it big. If V was a film, they would be nominated for Oscars. And I'm completely serious. Just watch them in, for example, Fame or Shame and try and tell me that isn't an amazing performance.

Fonteno - meeh. I don't know. It wasn't bad at all, that's for sure. Especially if this really was the first time he really acted in something, as I heard. I guess he suffered from Franklin being so underdeveloped and bland compared to Michael and Trevor.

My favorite character though - Michael. I've said it a thousand times already. And if V had only one character it should definitely be him. Heck, V is pretty much "Michael and those two supporting characters you also play as for no apparent reason" already.

• DeafMetal, sivaG and Pastry like this

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:00 AM Edited by Deus Ex, 17 January 2014 - 11:00 AM.

Steven Ogg. He did a great job with Trevor's voice. 

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

IMO, Ogg's performance was the best and I liked him the most. If there was only one protagonist, it would be Michael as he was unique and we have never had a protagonist like him.

I agree.  I liked the dimension of Michael having a family and the missions that came from their drama.   Ogg was great tho' as Trevor.  Many times my jaw was either on the floor or LOLing at his actions, his mocking of different goons over the phone, etc.  totally nuts....

All of the acting was 1st rate tho'...  Franklin and Lamar...  LOL... 

• Captain Arthur and Pastry like this

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I like Ned Luke. Steven Ogg has nice acting skill, but he's just overacted.

Bitches_Brew
  • Bitches_Brew

Cowboy from Hell

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Steven Ogg is a professional voice-over guy anyway. He's the freakin' "Subway: Eat Fresh!" guy! He gave a stellar performance.

he has done loads of commercials......

http://stevenogg.com/voice/

IMO, he was the best at reading his lines. :^:

ned was alright for the most part. like fuzzknuckles stated, he was a bit stiff in some places. :bored:

shawn just sounded like he was reading a script for the first time. :yawn:

Lil_B_The Basedgod
  • Lil_B_The Basedgod

f*ck the mods

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Considering it was Shawn's first time really acting, I think he did the best.
^ I'm not really sure how he sounded like he was reading a script. He had a natural flow that sounded convincing.
On a side note, if any of the characters would be IRL people, I think it would be franklin
  • JohnDoe7125539271 likes this

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Steven Ogg's performance as Trevor Philips was freaking amazing. I liked Ned Luke's performance though and if V were to be made with a single protagonist only, then it would definitely be Michael aka Ned Luke.

Lowi
  • Lowi

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Best character EVER! I love him :p (not gay)

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ned Luke did the best job! I absolutely loved Michael, sure Trevor was funny as hell but Michael was just much more relatable

And Michael is the "main" protagonist of the story

Beanee
  • Beanee

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Voted Micheal for all three. Great voice acting, its enjoyable and entertaining, and he is pretty much the main character of the story.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the characters of Trevor and Franklin.. I just think that they tried too hard to make Trevor "bad ass" and Franklin.. Great voice acting and entertaining, but

I think he is more predictable and therefore, boring, than the other characters.

Elvis_Mazur
  • Elvis_Mazur

Nothing Inspiring to Write

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

That's a very difficult question for me as from my point of view there would be a tie as to which performance I liked the most between Ogg's and Ned's, but I think Ogg's did a better job with Trevor because of all the different situations he was put in: a psycho, a guy with a broken heart, the guy who rediscovered his best friend after ten years and the too loyal-to-his-friends guy.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Ogg gave the best performence because Trevor experiances so many emotions in so little time ogg captures it perfectly. He could be the most ruthless SOB in LS then be the most loyal protag. R* did a fantastic job picking the voice actors. 

• Pastry likes this

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

AMANDA, I LOOOOVE U ~~

Steven Ogg did it the best.

JohnDoe7125539271
  • JohnDoe7125539271

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Damn, they all did a great job.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by Zodape, 17 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

I voted for Trevor on everything.

Of course, Michael fits more as the protagonist, but I find Trevor more interesting and he's something new compared to the protags in previous GTAs. That's just me, of course.

RolfStarGames
  • RolfStarGames

Hustler

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Trevor is the best protagonist in GTA's series :)

Steve, a big :cookie:  for you.

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well ... I have to vote based on my initial reaction, and that first playthrough, Steven Ogg's performance really stood out for me. I think it's because I expected something way different, and what we got was just so, so much better than what I was expecting. I just remember thinking to myself 'wow, this guy is seriously good', and being pleasantly surprised.

That said, the more I went on, the more Ned Luke's performance wowed me. What can I say? He's a pro, and I can't believe he hasn't netted higher profile roles in the past (similar for Ogg) but everything has a reason, I guess. And admittedly, I do think Michael would be the best fit to carry the story - namely because so much of it stems from his actions in one way or another.

You know what, though? That first conversation between Franklin and Lamar - again, I just really enjoyed what Shawn Fonteno and Slink Johnson brought to those characters, and again was pleasantly surprised. There was something that just felt very natural about their performances, very real.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:08 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 17 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

Fonteno - meeh. I don't know. It wasn't bad at all, that's for sure. Especially if this really was the first time he really acted in something, as I heard. I guess he suffered from Franklin being so underdeveloped and bland compared to Michael and Trevor.

This is exactly the way I feel. I think Fonteno has the ability to give a performance as well as Luke or Ogg, but the way his character is written kind of limits him to a pretty bland kind of character in comparison. I mean, Trevor is a psychotic maniac who's completely traumatized with his childhood and is high on meth 24/7. Michael is a middle-aged,  action-movie-obsessed career criminal who retired to a good life and has a completely f*cking crazy family to deal with. Franklin is basically a young street hustler trying to make it big (like half of the GTA protags we've already had). It's a huge difference.

GTAV112
  • GTAV112

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:56 PM Edited by GTAV112, 17 January 2014 - 08:56 PM.

Trevor in all 3 options

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Are you guys aware that they didn't just do voice acting? They just did plain acting.

They'd go to the building they were filming in, there would be cameras set up all over the place, they'd get their motionscan suits on, people would set up boxes in the room to act as stairs and obstacles seen in the game, and they acted out their parts.

They didn't just sit in a room and record their voice. They played an actual role.

• Piers Nivans, RiaJay21 and DaltonVirago like this

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Damn you! You trying to make me choose while I can't because I like all of them :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users