Photo

How many patches did it take GTA IV?

34 replies to this topic
theregomatt
  • theregomatt

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

Was the single player bad when it first came out?

How many patches later did the free roam where most people stopped complaining and liked it?

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

7 on PC, but unfortunately the later patches actually ruin what was otherwise a perfect game after patch 1.0.4.0. That was the last good one.

Now GTA V on Xbox, I can't even save a vehicle in Trevor's garage still even on the latest 1.09 patch as they ALL disappear every time I put something in his garage. That's a f*cking joke.

• BlackScout likes this

theregomatt
  • theregomatt

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

wonder how many patches its going to take this game.. and also are patches only able to fix glitches/bugs? or can fix game mechanics/physics and stuff

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

Unlike GTA V, GTA IV patches actually fixed things, it's been what, 10 patches for GTA V now? I stopped updating anyway, all these "updates" do is fix online issues, which brings in more single player issues, something Rockstar don't care about. I recommend you don't update, they're never going to fix any single player issues, only bring in more. 10 patches in 4 months is ridiculous, especially when it doesn't fix anything.

• tom_p1980, SonOfLiberty, RyanBurnsRed and 12 others like this

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

I don't remember thinking "For goodness sake, another freakin' update? What's going on?" with GTA IV. There was the odd one here and there but I can't remember being displeased with updates and patches.

Seems every time I load up GTA V there's an update/patch. Nothing seems to change though.

• Katve, grumpy cat meme, nobum62 and 1 other like this

Sordidjaws
  • Sordidjaws

Heist Planner

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

Whatcha guys talking about? These patches worked before, remember back when we lost like $5000 every death or couldn't run in apartments, etc. Patches fixed that.

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

Whatcha guys talking about? These patches worked before, remember back when we lost like $5000 every death or couldn't run in apartments, etc. Patches fixed that.

We're talking about single player, also known as the game mode Rockstar don't care about, whenever they fix one of your minor online issues, a major issue comes to single player, but never gets fixed. I myself couldn't care less about multiplayer.

• fac316, Katve, grumpy cat meme and 3 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Yup. Title updates have screwed up single player albeit not completely but loading issues have worsened than before esp. for me. :-(

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

I'm pretty sure they will patch all the issues from both single player and multiplayer... Even if I personnally think they are doing it pretty slowly, they still had to fix the servers issues when the game came out, then they had to fix the exploits and glitches (not all of them, mostly the money glitches like LSC glitch). They also had to deal with all the hacked money. I mean, I ain't no dev so I don't really know how much time it takes to fix those things, but it it probably is a pain in the ass to have multiple people reporting multiple glitches, exploits, bugs and then choose what to fix first, finding the source of the problem and fixing them. Not counting that people will always try to bypass everything you fix so you have to double the job.

Sordidjaws
  • Sordidjaws

Heist Planner

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

We're talking about single player, also known as the game mode Rockstar don't care about, whenever they fix one of your minor online issues, a major issue comes to single player, but never gets fixed. I myself couldn't care less about multiplayer.

They obviously care about single player if they're releasing a big DLC of it this year...But they focusing on online because people are never satisfied it seems like, if you look right now at newswire comments you'll see death threats, whining, lawsuits, crying, etc. 

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

They obviously care about single player if they're releasing a big DLC of it this year...But they focusing on online because people are never satisfied it seems like, if you look right now at newswire comments you'll see death threats, whining, lawsuits, crying, etc. 

DLC is a greedy scam, if they're making single player gamers pay for cut content, they obviously don't care about them. Even if it isn't cut content, paying for bits of content for a game you already own is a joke.

I'm sure they can fix these single player issues too, but they don't want to do that.

• grumpy cat meme, Militia and matajuegos01 like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:07 AM Edited by cp1dell, 17 January 2014 - 07:30 AM.

Online has gotten nine patches, only a couple of those were to fix things in Single Player. GTA: O has been the biggest issue, the only original bug with GTA V was the cars disappearing from garages, but a few other problems were introduce when Rockstar started messing with Online.

7 on PC, but unfortunately the later patches actually ruin what was otherwise a perfect game after patch 1.0.4.0. That was the last good one.

Now GTA V on Xbox, I can't even save a vehicle in Trevor's garage still even on the latest 1.09 patch as they ALL disappear every time I put something in his garage. That's a f*cking joke.

Patch 7 improved performance and visuals, mostly shadows though. If someone is having trouble with shadows in Patch 7, that's because what used to be Very High Shadows in Patch 4, is High in Patch 7. High in Patch 4 would be Medium in Patch 7 etc. Very High Shadows in Patch 7 was not available in Patch 4.

EDIT: I think from Patch 6 and up is when Rockstar redid the shadow calculations or something. I always wondered though if you could take the /common/shaders/ folder from Patch 4 and use them in Patch 7/EFLC, and if that would result in the same performance and visuals as Patch 4 - along with the ability to play online and have all the bug fixes.

• RyanBurnsRed and UltraGizmo64 like this

PolarBearDontCare
  • PolarBearDontCare

Taco's Are Better

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Saying that Rockstar don't care about single player is dumb. Really dumb. Of course they do, but they have major problems with Online. Once those are addressed, I'm sure they'll return focus to single player.

If they didn't care about single player, they would have just released Online. Or just not released another game. 

SO sick of hearing this whiny 'they don't care about sp' nonsense.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Online has gotten nine patches, only a couple of those were to fix things in Single Player. GTA: O has been the biggest issue, the only original bug with GTA V was the cars disappearing from garages, but a few other problems were introduce when Rockstar started messing with Online.

Patch 7 improved performance and visuals, mostly shadows though. If someone is having trouble with shadows in Patch 7, that's because what used to be Very High Shadows in Patch 4, is High in Patch 7. High in Patch 4 would be Medium in Patch 7 etc. Very High Shadows in Patch 7 was not available in Patch 4.

EDIT: I think from Patch 6 and up is when Rockstar redid the shadow calculations or something. I always wondered though if you could take the /common/shaders/ folder from Patch 4 and use them in Patch 7/EFLC, and if that would result in the same performance and visuals as Patch 4 - along with the ability to play online and have all the bug fixes.

The new shadows are highly unoptimized and don't even look better.

Also it's not even the shadows that destroy my performance, it's the changes to the lod system. I get substantially higher frame rate in 1.0.4.0 than I do in 1.0.7.0 with shadows off for both. Enabling shadows didn't really matter as it affected performance pretty much equally.

Spirez
  • Spirez

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm on patch 1.06 I think. Haven't updated. Don't think I will soon. Everything seems okay in that patch besides the "Alan 0" license plate with cars in the house garages.

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

After the Christmas update special snow BS, you cannot load old SP saves.

You CAN start the game and load SP, that works fine. If you pause and go to game> load game and choose a save it loads forever.

THIS WAS WELL BEFORE 1.09

I think rockstar just doesn't give a sh*t about singleplayer

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm on patch 1.06 I think. Haven't updated. Don't think I will soon. Everything seems okay in that patch besides the "Alan 0" license plate with cars in the house garages.

ALAN    0 plates were from 1.0not 1.06.  1.06 was the Beach Bum Pack were they added three "special" vehicles to our garage, two being completely worthless, and one being decent (Bifta) AND giving us a worthless broken glass bottle as a weapon and the worst gun in the game, SNS Pistol.

• DutchGangsta likes this

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:18 PM Edited by Militia, 17 January 2014 - 01:21 PM.

Saying that Rockstar don't care about single player is dumb. Really dumb. Of course they do, but they have major problems with Online. Once those are addressed, I'm sure they'll return focus to single player.

If they didn't care about single player, they would have just released Online. Or just not released another game. 

SO sick of hearing this whiny 'they don't care about sp' nonsense.

This time I disagree with you.  GTA was ALWAYS about Single Player, since the inception of these games.  Not until San Andreas, the 5th game in the series, if you count GTA 1 and 2 did they bring that lame ass Online bullsh*t to the table.  GTA IV had it, too, and now GTA V.

So I agree with the other people, they shifted their focus more to that horse sh*t Online mode, ESPECIALLY seen in GTA V and hardly care about Single Player.

With that being said, my game will always remain on 1.08.  Since I fixed up the bullsh*t they messed up in SP after numerous patches.  With all these new Patches every couple of weeks all due to Online which I never will touch in my lifetime, that mess things up in SP, there is absolutely no need to install another Patch.  Plus I've used a save editor on 1.08 and have the best save I can think of with the Titan sitting and saved on T's helipad.  The Skylift saved on M's helipad, and the Dominator Muscle Car saved on F's helipad.  Not to mention each hanger has a fully modded Lazer.  And the Stinger GT fully modded and sitting in T's Sandy Shores safehouse garage.  Also fully modded my Police Riot giving it 100% armor upgrade, engine upgrades, and bulletproof tires.  Now the ENTIRE vehicle is 100% bulletproof and can't die.  I've also 100%'ed the game in October and used 0 cheat codes which is a big thing for me in all the GTA games since GTA III.  Gotta 100% them and use NO CHEAT CODES.  In fact, past GTA games, if you used cheat codes, you were locked out of 100%, it'd get glitched and stuck on 99.7% in III, Vice City, and I believe, San Andreas, too.  IV and V you CAN use them, I believe, but since I didn't from the start, I won't start using them now.

There is no way that I would want to screw anything up in my game, or lose any of these vehicles due to some sh*tty Patch that has nothing to do with SP, but more for Online and this I won't touch as I already mentioned.  So like everyone said, if you like the game as of NOW, keep it THAT way, don't update ever again.  I know I won't.  The ONLY possible way I would even think to update is if they actually made some monumental changes to SP, which as most of you said, it won't happen, and if at all, not anytime soon.  1.08 forever.  Lol

• DutchGangsta and matajuegos01 like this

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

There weren't many patches for GTA IV (at least on console). The only reason GTA V has so many patches is because of GTA:O. Only a couple patches have actually been for SP. All their focus is on Online. 

If I were Rockstar I'd release a patch to remove special abilities, tweak some missions where it's needed, and tone down cops/gangs and make vehicles more durable. But yeah, that's not gonna happen. GTA V will remain a mess while Rockstar f*ck us over with GTA O.

• Militia likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

@One56

Remove special abilities? Seriously? I'll have to adress Fuzznuckle's signature.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

The new shadows are highly unoptimized and don't even look better.

Also it's not even the shadows that destroy my performance, it's the changes to the lod system. I get substantially higher frame rate in 1.0.4.0 than I do in 1.0.7.0 with shadows off for both. Enabling shadows didn't really matter as it affected performance pretty much equally.

I see a very significant difference in the shadows between Patch 7 and Patch 4 in GTA IV.

The very high shadows in Patch 7 are sharper, and more accurate. In Patch 4, the very high shadows looked like blobs. They look like Medium shadows in Patch 7.

Also the game looks better on Patch 7. It looks cleaner and sharper and uses less vram than the previous patches. 

I'm a shadow whore, so I take notice of the shadows in every single game I play. They are a major step up from Patch 4. I can't imagine how you can't see the difference, because it's so obvious.

As for performance, I would say I get slightly better performance on Patch 4. 

Still, even with 7 patches GTA IV could still use some more work. It's a lot better than when it first came out, that's for sure, but I can't help but feel it needs at least 2 more patches.

Also, GTA V has 9 patches in 4 months. Not even IV on PC got patched that often, and it was a train wreck. It says to me that Online was rushed and incomplete when it was released. Now Rockstar is trying to complete it while using paying customers as testers.

• Militia likes this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Well, atleast for the PC version... well GTA IV STILL sucks on pc. I ran a program that tests how well i would run the game and it said I would run it very fast surpassing the recommended settings. But it is still laggy and glitchy as f*ck.

As for GTA V, apart for the bullsh*t garage glitch. I would have to say that GTA V (singleplayer) is remarkably bug free. It is definitely the most stable open world game i played and encountered only a few minor bugs in my multiple playthroughs. Though it still does have some bugs that should be fixed. 

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

C* does patches to ruin SP, because they want every single motherf*cker in Milky way galaxy to play GTA Online, so they can make money. C*, I mean Cockstar games are money hungry whores. They wont do anything good to SP untill the DLC, wich will proabably gunna come out the next century. 

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Well, atleast for the PC version... well GTA IV STILL sucks on pc. I ran a program that tests how well i would run the game and it said I would run it very fast surpassing the recommended settings. But it is still laggy and glitchy as f*ck.

As for GTA V, apart for the bullsh*t garage glitch. I would have to say that GTA V (singleplayer) is remarkably bug free. It is definitely the most stable open world game i played and encountered only a few minor bugs in my multiple playthroughs. Though it still does have some bugs that should be fixed. 

Then maybe you shouldn't play it on a toaster.

I can run it maxed with 40-50 fps on a i5 760 and a GTX 760. 

Mid range PC parts. The CPU is from 2010. If I can run it on that old ass CPU maxed and get those frames, a Sandy-Haswell i3 could run it better than my first gen i5.

As for it being glitchy, I don't know what game you're playing.

Until you've actually played a Bethesda game on PC with or without mods, you don't know what a glitchy game is. GTA IV is the least glitchy game I've ever played.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Unlike GTA V, GTA IV patches actually fixed things, it's been what, 10 patches for GTA V now? I stopped updating anyway, all these "updates" do is fix online issues, which brings in more single player issues, something Rockstar don't care about. I recommend you don't update, they're never going to fix any single player issues, only bring in more. 10 patches in 4 months is ridiculous, especially when it doesn't fix anything.

I seriously do not get you. You say R* doesn't fix things in SP (Which isn't true), then say they don't care about SP (Which also isn't true, as why the f*ck would they put so much work into SP if they didn't care about it!? It literally makes no sense whatsoever), and say they only focus on Online (Which also can't be true, seeing how it's broken, buggy, and didn't work for 2 weeks after launch).

So, please, explain to me how R* only cares about Online when it's a buggy, hacked mess that didn't work for 2 weeks after release while SP is basically fine? You wanna know why so many updates are Online only? Because Online is broken, and SP is not.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

last i played. if i pulled a vehicle all the way in to the garage. it would not save. but if i barely put it into the garage it would save. and it wouldnt save any lifted trucks.

DutchGangsta
  • DutchGangsta

Sup

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

R* just shouldn't have included Online at all. 

It has great potential, but please don't combine it with a 'normal' GTA in one game, because you know that they will focus more on Online.

If they really want to make a GTA Online game, then do it as a seperate game.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

It has great potential, but please don't combine it with a 'normal' GTA in one game, because you know that they will focus more on Online.

It is a separate game. That's why it's called GTA: Online and not GTA 5 multiplayer.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

It is a separate game. That's why it's called GTA: Online and not GTA 5 multiplayer.

If it's a separate game then why isn't it sold separately?

That was the point he was trying to make, and I agree with him. In fact, I've said that before.

• DutchGangsta likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users