Photo

Odd thought about the Epsilon Missions

21 replies to this topic
Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

You know, I really feel disappointed by them.

You have Michael join the cult, donate $65,500 to the cult, and then rip off $2,100,000  if you do the missions "right."

However, I really think the mission would have been more enjoyable if it had ended with a massacre. They have the Epsilon Celebrity Center in the middle of the city and it looks like a great place you could have a shoot-out with the cult. At the very least, I really wanted to take out Cris Formage.

You'd think they'd have been one of the groups the heroes "take out."

Anyone else feel this way?

• lizardman563 likes this

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

I think it would have been more interesting if you got to go to cult meetings.

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:51 AM Edited by lizardman563, 16 January 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Agreed, OP.

Thought I'd be killing Formage eventually

Thought wrong.

:whuh:

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:59 AM Edited by Charles Phipps, 16 January 2014 - 05:00 AM.

I was hoping he was on the helicopter.

But yes, they could have inserted the Episilon missions into the main game.

They could have been a heist with Michael sent to join the program so they could infiltrate it.

• ShadowDog94 likes this

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:11 AM Edited by Choco Taco, 16 January 2014 - 05:12 AM.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Well if the events of GTA Online are canon, then Cris Formage can't be killed due to him being a higher being. However taking out the whole cult would have been pretty epic.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

Well if the events of GTA Online are canon, then Cris Formage can't be killed due to him being a higher being. However taking out the whole cult would have been pretty epic.

Eh, it's no big deal to kill gods in video games.

:santa:

But yeah, I'm surprised we didn't get to do that in-game. Were people afraid the Scientologists would be upset?

• Gta_V_Fan_101 likes this

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:13 AM Edited by elburrosleftnut, 16 January 2014 - 06:15 AM.

Eh, it's no big deal to kill gods in video games.

:santa:

But yeah, I'm surprised we didn't get to do that in-game. Were people afraid the Scientologists would be upset?

I would have to imagine if a little threat of a lawsuit scares them into not putting freely accessible hospital interiors in the game. Then, a lawsuit by the very powerful and very resource rich Scientology organization would make R* lose their sh*t and bend to any whim they could come up with.

That's the problem with game companies when they get too big, they lose their edge and are too afraid to take risks.

• kipakolonyasi likes this

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Possibly.

The half-measures are what bother me. The game insults Scientology up and down, freely calling them an enormous scam that fleeces their worshipers.

Yet, it's the one group we can't kill and only get to rob of a tiny bit of their money.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Possibly.

The half-measures are what bother me. The game insults Scientology up and down, freely calling them an enormous scam that fleeces their worshipers.

Yet, it's the one group we can't kill and only get to rob of a tiny bit of their money.

Probably because they are just civilians, unlike other people you kill in the missions. And as far as I remember, no civilian has ever been murdered by a protagonist in the GTA series, just other criminals (not counting those outside the missions, which is purely player choice), and it would be pretty out of character for Michael. So that's probably the reason we can't kill them, just steal from them.

I totally agree though. I wanted to enter that building and massacre every last one of them. But instead I fell for their tricks like a dumbass and didn't get my 2 million dollars... lol.

CanOdope
  • CanOdope

Troll hunter

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

DLC? I think it's possible. Each character has a cult of some sort... Maybe the "significant DLC" has something to do with this.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Then give all of the cult

Possibly.

Probably because they are just civilians, unlike other people you kill in the missions. And as far as I remember, no civilian has ever been murdered by a protagonist in the GTA series, just other criminals (not counting those outside the missions, which is purely player choice), and it would be pretty out of character for Michael. So that's probably the reason we can't kill them, just steal from them.

I totally agree though. I wanted to enter that building and massacre every last one of them. But instead I fell for their tricks like a dumbass and didn't get my 2 million dollars... lol.

Well we've killed FIB agents in San Andreas and a bunch of construction workers.

The final mission could have them all armed and carrying around assault rifles shouting KIFFLOM too!

:)

• ShadowDog94 likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

You'd think they'd have been one of the groups the heroes "take out."

Does anyone know what is up with this anyways?

After the event with Trevor when you deliver four people to the Altruist camp, you get "Altruist Camp Cleared" displayed on the screen. As if there are other cults or camps to clear, but as far as I know, there's nothing.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

Then give all of the cult

Possibly.

Well we've killed FIB agents in San Andreas and a bunch of construction workers.

The final mission could have them all armed and carrying around assault rifles shouting KIFFLOM too!

Yeah, that's exactly what should've happened :)

The last mission was very anti-climatic even if you stole the money.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

Just imagine a gigantic bank safe in the basement you get to blow.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

@charles, having them weild aks shouting kifflom is a great idea! The cultists douchebags deserve to get pissed on and smacked to death with a shovel postal 2 style.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Possibly.

I think the whole point of the Epsilon missions was that they were to coincide with Michael's midlife crisis, which explains why you could only join the program using Michael.  He's desperately looking for something to give purpose to his life.  When he walks around in the robes, he often blurts his thoughts out loud, like "It's not a cult, it's not a cult," trying to reassure himself that he's not wasting his time. Once you get to the final mission and he learns of the $2 million he's transporting, he suddenly snaps out of it and remembers who he is - a skilled robber.  That's of course provided the player chooses to seize that opportunity.  If not, then he's left as a severely agitated middle-aged man who lost $65k and got a sh*tty antique in return.

So with that in mind, I don't really see it as anti-climatic at all.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homeboy

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

it's not gta san andreas it's hd era now. things are more "realistic". pulling genocides stealing jetpacks bombing neighborhoods are over now. which is a shame too. i really miss those good old missions.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

kifflom is simple

get kidnapped by a cult of raving lunatics you blame it on yoga.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:44 AM Edited by Charles Phipps, 16 January 2014 - 09:44 AM.

I think the whole point of the Epsilon missions was that they were to coincide with Michael's midlife crisis, which explains why you could only join the program using Michael.  He's desperately looking for something to give purpose to his life.  When he walks around in the robes, he often blurts his thoughts out loud, like "It's not a cult, it's not a cult," trying to reassure himself that he's not wasting his time. Once you get to the final mission and he learns of the $2 million he's transporting, he suddenly snaps out of it and remembers who he is - a skilled robber.  That's of course provided the player chooses to seize that opportunity.  If not, then he's left as a severely agitated middle-aged man who lost $65k and got a sh*tty antique in return.

So with that in mind, I don't really see it as anti-climatic at all.

Well, Michael also spends a lot of time rolling his eyes and insulting the Episolonites--obviously not taking anything they're saying seriously so I wasn't sure if Michael was sincerely converting, casing the joint to rob it, or simply so utterly BORED with his life after his family leaves him/before that he needs something to fill his days with.

A little more consistency would have been appreciated on my end.

But no, my reason for wanting to end up in a gigantic shoot-out with the cult is because their mansion is pretty awesome (based on an RL landmark) and it seems the perfect place to have Michael unload with his bullet-time Max Payne style.

I also feel horrible Cris Formage is still out there, indulging on the rest of his group's millions.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

is this cris formage cult leader a reference to anyone insanely particular?

There's been so many psychos throughout history whom have exploited others for their money with that feign act of kindness.. I wanna say this guy is a horrible example of the likes of fred phelps and charles manson.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:24 PM Edited by Charles Phipps, 16 January 2014 - 02:29 PM.

is this cris formage cult leader a reference to anyone insanely particular?

There's been so many psychos throughout history whom have exploited others for their money with that feign act of kindness.. I wanna say this guy is a horrible example of the likes of fred phelps and charles manson.

Nothing so terrifying as Jim Jones or Manson, Cris is just a reference to Scientology's leadership in general but probably this guy in particular.

http://en.wikipedia....David_Miscavige

He's basically the guy who created the "sickeningly sweet" face of the religion. He also turned it into the celebrity shilled multinational racket it is today. L. Ron Hubbard bilked people in a more traditional way.

Seriously, they even look alike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users