Hardcore mode

12 replies to this topic
Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

This is my first time posting on these forums but who cares? let's get to the topic

This is a set of rules and settings as well as some optional objectives for a custom GTA IV playthrough. Basically it’s a difficulty setting created to increase difficulty and create immersion. It’s also a interesting way to play the game as you do not have your basic features. Let me know if I should change anything. And if you’re willing to, Try it out for yourself. you can even do it on Episodes from Liberty City if you want a shorter journey. (I'm not sure if some one has thought of this before and has posted on here but I'm not going to check the whole GTA IV section.)

Hardcore mode rules:

1. Turn off HUD and Radar/Mini-Map

2. Turn off assisted aiming

3. Change reticule to Basic

4. Turn on GPS Voice

5. Do not use cheats

6. Turn off Auto saving

7. Do not use taxis (exception if you are finished session and need to save at safehouse)

8. Do not revert settings unless Main Story is complete

Optional:

• Complete at least 5 Random Character missions

• Complete all 9 Assassination contracts

• Complete 25 Vigilante missions

• Unlock 2 special abilities from friends

• Spoiler

• Limit Ammo:

• Pistol: 400-600

• Shotgun: 40

• SMG: 500-700

• Assault Rifles: 120-360

• Sniper: 20

• Throwable: 5-10

• RPG: 2

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

Am I the only one who did this willingly beforehand? 

On my fourth playthrough of IV, I wouldn't even pick up more than a sidearm, melee weapon, and primary. 

• Gold-NBayse likes this

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

I guess so. It just came up in my head randomly. That is a interesting combo as well. Limiting yourself to only certain weapons. I knew that people had the same Idea before me.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

I guess so. It just came up in my head randomly. That is a interesting combo as well. Limiting yourself to only certain weapons. I knew that people had the same Idea before me.

I really liked the Max Payne 3 system. Two secondaries, one for each hoslter, and a primary that you're either carrying by your side or using.

It would have been nice if IV or V included a FO: New Vegas style "realism" hardcore mode. Cops shoot in sight for people brandishing weapons, and the only ones you could conceal were secondaries.

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I really liked the Max Payne 3 system. Two secondaries, one for each hoslter, and a primary that you're either carrying by your side or using.

It would have been nice if IV or V included a FO: New Vegas style "realism" hardcore mode. Cops shoot in sight for people brandishing weapons, and the only ones you could conceal were secondaries.

I like your thinking, friend! I've always dreamed for a game with a sense of realism and challenge. Do you know how to limit weapons in GTA iv? because I know you are given weapons in some missions and sometimes you can accidentally walk over one. 

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by lilchris131, 17 January 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Sounds good, but one problem: with friendships, the character never tells you where to pick them up from. For example sometimes Roman will wait at the gambling den, other times at the apartment or cab depot (before it gets burned down), or down at Firefly Island. So you would have no way of knowing where to pick them up from without the map.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:43 PM Edited by GúnZinEss, 17 January 2014 - 07:44 PM.

I always have no more than 3 weapons in my inventory when i play, for example in TLAD, i use the automatic pistol with no more than 300 rounds of ammo, the sawn off with less than 100 or the street sweeper with 300 ammo aswell, and lastly, the grenade launcher with no more than 12 rounds (I could use less but I always like to spam a few grenades when i trigger a gang war, so with that amount i can use it for a few gang wars w/o having to replenish ammo).

Same with TBOGT, i ussually have the c4, a pistol and one more weapon (shotgun,smg, rifles, or heavy weapons), or no pistol and two more weapons, (lets say a shotgun or smg, or smg and rifles).

And in GTAIV, until i unlocked algoquin, i carried only a pistol and sometimes, the normal shotgun. Always with low ammo.

edit: if i dont want to pick up a weapon on the ground, i usually walk over them while aiming.

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Sounds good, but one problem: with friendships, the character never tells you where to pick them up from. For example sometimes Roman will wait at the gambling den, other times at the apartment or cab depot (before it gets burned down), or down at Firefly Island. So you would have no way of knowing where to pick them up from without the map.

that's what the gps voice is for. all I have to do is pause the game, put a waypoint and listen to the voice for directions.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I already play IV without hud, minimap and so (completely clean screen). With enhaced graphics it’s plain awesome.

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

So far from what I've played, driving is fun and different but I can barely hear the gps voice during dialogues or when the radio is on. I also can't tell which radio station I'm on. I haven't experienced enough combat to give a opinion but I'm having fun.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

I'll start another gameplay of IV, thanks for the ideas.

FarSideOfSaturn
  • FarSideOfSaturn

Have you read the manual for this thing?

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

That's a great way to play, I've been doing it since my third playthrough with the exception of #7. Taxis, along with the subway and walking are my method to getting to and from missions. Like a couple of posters above I limit my weapons and ammo, usually I carry a pistol and rifle with a limit of four additional clips + a knife. If I pick up more ammo or anything else by accident I find somewhere quiet to fire it off. 

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

player

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

That's a great way to play, I've been doing it since my third playthrough with the exception of #7. Taxis, along with the subway and walking are my method to getting to and from missions. Like a couple of posters above I limit my weapons and ammo, usually I carry a pistol and rifle with a limit of four additional clips + a knife. If I pick up more ammo or anything else by accident I find somewhere quiet to fire it off. 

I implemented #7 because I always found myself using taxis and skipping the trip in previous playthroughs. I kinda want to immerse myself to the city. I might change it so I can't skip taxi trips. As for picking up other weapons, that's a really useful way to get rid of weapons. Thanks for your input!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users