Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has your credit/bank card ever been locked for fraud?

8 replies to this topic
theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

If so, i'm very interested in hearing about it.

I recently had my third "locked for fraud" incident when my bank called me and asked me if I was in Singapore trying to buy an 800$ television. I said no, and they told me I had been a victim of identity theft.

Almost everyone I've told the story to in person had an interesting tale of their own credit card / debit card being locked for some form of this activity.

Please feel free to post in this thread about if your card was stolen, where it was used, what type of purchase was being made, and if your financial institution caught it before any money was actually taken out.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Look at his little spots!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

So far I've been lucky enough to avoid my card ever being used fraudulently. I've had my details stolen as part of the Anonymous hack of StratFor but nothing was taken then and my bank were very good about it.

I've had a fair few fraud warning calls but these have always been false positives like me putting the £1200 deposit for a car on my credit card or buying £2k worth of computer parts from a supplier in Germany.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

So far I've been lucky enough to avoid my card ever being used fraudulently. I've had my details stolen as part of the Anonymous hack of StratFor but nothing was taken then and my bank were very good about it.

I've had a fair few fraud warning calls but these have always been false positives like me putting the £1200 deposit for a car on my credit card or buying £2k worth of computer parts from a supplier in Germany.

Interesting. I had one false positive. I was going to buy a game on Steam, and a friend told me it was cheaper on a site called Green Man Gaming (pretty well known , I think).

I went to buy it there and they declined my card. My bank locked my card down and called me within 5 minutes saying it was a gambling site. Hilarious!

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Я не говорю

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Interesting. I had one false positive. I was going to buy a game on Steam, and a friend told me it was cheaper on a site called Green Man Gaming (pretty well known , I think).

I went to buy it there and they declined my card. My bank locked my card down and called me within 5 minutes saying it was a gambling site. Hilarious!

GMG is pretty well known, I get a lot of games from there.

When I was piecing together my computer my bank had locked me out of my account temporarily because I was trying to spend an amount over my daily limit (it's was only $600 worth of stuff). No fraud, though.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Look at his little spots!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Seems to be common when buying PC parts. I now do it so regularly they don't bother.
  • Vlynor likes this

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Similar to what's been said so far. I haven't been a victim of fraud but the bank has acted like an over protective parent and thought that my slightly obscure purchase was an indicator that I'd been scammed, and then blocked my card and rang me up. But I don't mind, it just means they're doing their job. 

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:10 AM Edited by F4L?, 16 January 2014 - 03:11 AM.

Either Banks in the US/UK are over restrictive, or ours here are just lazy.

I haven't heard of anyone getting their accounts locked for fraudulent activity for some time now, and perhaps twice in the past.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'm smart and I don't have a credit card, but for real, I've never had any such incidents.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Last night I had a nightmare that my credit card got locked and I didn't know why.

I've had rebate cards locked before the expiration when they had at least $12 left, but I hadn't used them for several months. I bet they don't expect people to call to complain about it. I didn't, even though I was really looking forward to buying something asinine with that money for Christmas.

• theadmiral likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users